ADVERTISEMENT

The Dynasty - Charlie Weis

I love Faust. He is a great man, fantastic recruiter and a great ambassador to ND. He was a power house high school coach and at the time it seemed natural for him to be a HC at ND. Hugh mistake. In way over his head.

Fat Chuck was in over his head also b
I agree, he tended to focus on offense to the exclusion of everything else, and football isn’t a one dimensional game

Of the 4 mistakes at ND (Faust, Davie, Ty and Charlie) Charlie was far and away the worst. He could get offensive skill to ND, but every other aspect of the program was a dumpster fire. His records of 3-9, 6-6, 6-6 would have continued into perpetuity. Probably gotten worse because of his personality.

Charlie was the worst combination of traits. Cocky, an insufferable d-bag and totally incompetent. His only purpose in football should have been to be a valet for Bill Parcells & Bill Belichick. Other than that he was literally more useless than tits on a bull.

Perfectly said. Weis was a hot mess. I thought he was a terrible recruiter. Yes he got very good offensive players but he refused to recruit defensive players. And he was arrogant for no reason very overrated.

This is incorrect. Weis was just not as successful at recruiting defensive players (and he was the 4th worst coach on that list). If CW had NIL he might still be coaching here.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
This is incorrect. Weis was just not as successful at recruiting defensive players (and he was the 4th worst coach on that list). If CW had NIL he might still be coaching here.
I’ll take Faust over Fat Chuck every day of the week.

I think it’s safe to say that Faust was the worst hire ………… by far !

Faust coached a high school team.

Weis was the offensive coordinator for a team that had one multiple Super Bowls?

Weis’s credentials were exponentially superior to Faust’s

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I think it’s safe to say that Faust was the worst hire ………… by far !

Faust coached a high school team.

Weis was the offensive coordinator for a team that had one multiple Super Bowls?

Weis’s credentials were exponentially superior to Faust’s
I can understand that. You’re not wrong but IMO Faust was a better ambassador than Weis. But I see your argument.

How did he fare at Akron ?

Why the administration chose a high school coach to take over one of the most prestigious programs in the nation is beyond me
I'm speculating, but I would attribute it to POOR JUDGEMENT fed by ND's having won exactly 80% of its games in the preceding 18 years. My sense is this induced a kind of COMPLACENCY not unlike George Foreman's overconfidence when he fought Muhammed Ali in Africa. Foreman barely trained.

And what was the result? The same as with the Faust hire. Embarrassing failure.

Sometimes, SELF-PERCEIVED INVINCIBILITY can be BLINDING.

There may also have been THIS. And again, I'm speculating . . .

Great coaches had MADE ND. But with Faust, ND was going to make a coach GREAT. A high school coach, no less. Which would not only be overconfidence but HUBRIS.

Call it ND's FAUSTIAN BARGAIN.

Reactions: tbonesays
I'm speculating, but I would attribute it to POOR JUDGEMENT fed by ND's having won exactly 80% of its games in the preceding 18 years. My sense is this induced a kind of COMPLACENCY not unlike George Foreman's overconfidence when he fought Muhammed Ali in Africa. Foreman barely trained.

And what was the result? The same as with the Faust hire. Embarrassing failure.

Sometimes, SELF-PERCEIVED INVINCIBILITY can be BLINDING.

There may also have been THIS. And again, I'm speculating . . .

Great coaches had MADE ND. But with Faust, ND was going to make a coach GREAT. A high school coach, no less. Which would not only be overconfidence but HUBRIS.

Call it ND's FAUSTIAN BARGAIN.
Call it a load of shiat!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT