ADVERTISEMENT

Can Notre Dame Stop The Run Vs Georgia?

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Through two games ND is ranked #120 out of 130 in rush defense, nationally. They're surrending 230.5 rushing yards per game and are giving up 4.96 yards per carry...

Small sample size. Not even 25% of the way through the season yet, but you're noy winning in Athens if Georgia can run at will on you. It's helpful that Jake Fromm isn't overly mobile, or a significant threat in the read option game, but how many hats will ND need to add to the box to slow Georgia down?... Georgia is banged up at receiver but the two freshman phenoms, Pickens and Blaylock have been impressive and I think Demetris Robertson will be back. ND is going to play a lot of cover 1 as they add defenders into the box in an attempt to squeeze the Georgia run game.

Hopefully Clark Lea has one heck of a game plan and the ND front is ready to face, by far, its stiffest test of the season in the Georgia OL and Swift!

Looking forward to a fun Saturday night!

Fromm not being able to run is going to help us out a lot I believe.

Gotta have 8 in the box against Georgia. They're banged up at wr

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Turnovers will win this very closely contested game. Most likely the last turnover closest to the end of the game will be the end of one of these teams.

For ND this is a playoff elimination game. The remaining schedule is far too weak.
UGA has a CCG as 2nd chance.

We are ranked #120 against the run and the two opponents were Louisville and New Mexico. They are going to need 30 players in the box to stop the run against GA.

Reactions: TaylorDawg03
We are ranked #120 against the run and the two opponents were Louisville and New Mexico. They are going to need 30 players in the box to stop the run against GA.
Not completely true. Both of those teams were focused on the run with mobile running QBs. Like playing Navy.

With that said, we've missed some fits and they have led to big gains. I'm sure it will happen again. The question is, can ND shoot enough gaps to create minimal to no gains on runs and get fromm into 3rd and 6+.

We're playing a more talented team running the ball no doubt, but they only have 1 RB in the backfield instead of also having a running QB. That helps a ton. It's why ND is 12th against the pass, and I don't think our corners are great.

This game boils down to ND slowing down georgia's run, and georgia rattling Book. Georgia is a 13.5 pt favorite because one has been proven to be much easier.

both those teams ran run/pass option offenses. The QB being the threat. Fromm ain’t going anywhere!

I think Alohi will play most of his night in the box acting as a 4th linebacker essentially. It's risky because we're then susceptible to the deep pass but I think we have to do it. Wish we could get Coney and Tranquill back for this one.

Fromm can run he just doesn’t have to
Point was more about not running read options or speed options with Fromm. Most QBs can run, if there's a huge hole, but it's not like you have to account for Fromm in the running game, you just have to be sound in your lanes when pass rushing.

Reactions: shabak and d1042
Either QB goes out, with major injury, and the status of the game goes down the crapper!

Fromm can run he just doesn’t have to

Fromm can move when he needs to, but he's the type of QB where if you have him running, rather than sitting in a clean pocket to pass, that's a victory for the defense. Jake Fromm running the ball is not a great look for Georgia.

Reactions: fdawg1103
My biggest concern in this game is Botre Dame's lack of size in the interior vs Georgia's interior OL. ND's giving up close 35+lbs on average in the middle of their defense. They're going to try to counter that by bringing extra hats into the box and blitzing and slanting, trying to free somebody up for a tackle for loss and a negative play...

Curious to see how long Hinish, MTA, Jay Ade and company can hold up. What would be really nice is if Georgia boy, Julian Okwara, had a coming out party, along with Khalid Kareem and the continued play of Daelin Hayes. If the ends play like they're capable, and battle hard against Thomas and Wilson, it will go a long way towards helping the interior.

Absolutely. The drop off between either starter and their backup, is immense, IMO.
What was with Jurkovec only getting one drive? Is that because they wanted Clark to get more reps because he could potentially of passed PJ as #2? Seems to me that PJ would of/should of gotten a few more drives? Or maybe they wanted to keep his confidence high ending with that TD drive?

Yeah we desperately need to get them in passing situations. That's where we have the best chance of success. Clark is going to have to take some gambles on first and second down to try and create those situations. I suspect that will lead to a couple big plays for tds for Georgia.

There is no doubt ND will need to load the box Saturday night. More importantly is when UGA attempts to pass and capitalize on the 1 on 1 coverage the ND corners need to turn their heads and makes plays on the ball without fouls. I can't tell you how maddening it is to see #8 manhandling a receiver 15 yds down the field and abandon his coverage skills. All 11 on D will need to do their part.

On a side note #14 has shown why he's a 5* player but I'll be even more impressed if he can make those same plays against UGA.

There is no doubt ND will need to load the box Saturday night. More importantly is when UGA attempts to pass and capitalize on the 1 on 1 coverage the ND corners need to turn their heads and makes plays on the ball without fouls. I can't tell you how maddening it is to see #8 manhandling a receiver 15 yds down the field and abandon his coverage skills. All 11 on D will need to do their part.

On a side note #14 has shown why he's a 5* player but I'll be even more impressed if he can make those same plays against UGA.

Kyle Hamilton and Julian Okwara should be pumped for this game. Both of them are heading home to Georgia, where they were under appreciated and under recruited until later in each of their respective cycles.

What was with Jurkovec only getting one drive? Is that because they wanted Clark to get more reps because he could potentially of passed PJ as #2? Seems to me that PJ would of/should of gotten a few more drives? Or maybe they wanted to keep his confidence high ending with that TD drive?
Phil will play in as many games as the situation allows this season. Clark will only be playing in a max of 4 games. BK and co. don't know for sure when we'll have a big enough blowout to bring Clark in so, when we get one, they are going to make sure he gets in.

Hamilton's final evaluation was delayed by injury and by time he healed he also grew an “11/2”.
By then he had shut down his recruitment.

I'm interested to see how Clark and Kelly draw up this game plan on D. Do they play conservative and give up small chunks of yards then tighten up inside the 30, to slow the game down and keep ND in it (this plan would be if they aren't confident in our O keeping pace). Or do they slant and run blitz a lot to try and get Fromm into a bunch of 3rd and longs, but making them susceptible for big plays on early downs.

It's probably a combination. You can't just run blitz run blitz and always have 8 in the box with your Secondary on an island. You will get burned eventually (see BVG gameplan). I think they are going to really have to fake and disguise their run blitzes well to keep georgia off guard.

I'm interested to see how Clark and Kelly draw up this game plan on D. Do they play conservative and give up small chunks of yards then tighten up inside the 30, to slow the game down and keep ND in it (this plan would be if they aren't confident in our O keeping pace). Or do they slant and run blitz a lot to try and get Fromm into a bunch of 3rd and longs, but making them susceptible for big plays on early downs.

It's probably a combination. You can't just run blitz run blitz and always have 8 in the box with your Secondary on an island. You will get burned eventually (see BVG gameplan). I think they are going to really have to fake and disguise their run blitzes well to keep georgia off guard.

I agree 100%. I think they'll take a few gambles with run blitzes in the hopes of creating a negative play and getting UGA behind schedule, but that's not something you can do all game. You could try to be more conservative and force them to go down the field in smaller chunks, and then take some risks in the redzone, but if you give up td's instead of fg's, it can get ugly in a hurry.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Through two games ND is ranked #120 out of 130 in rush defense, nationally. They're surrending 230.5 rushing yards per game and are giving up 4.96 yards per carry...

Small sample size. Not even 25% of the way through the season yet, but you're noy winning in Athens if Georgia can run at will on you. It's helpful that Jake Fromm isn't overly mobile, or a significant threat in the read option game, but how many hats will ND need to add to the box to slow Georgia down?... Georgia is banged up at receiver but the two freshman phenoms, Pickens and Blaylock have been impressive and I think Demetris Robertson will be back. ND is going to play a lot of cover 1 as they add defenders into the box in an attempt to squeeze the Georgia run game.

Hopefully Clark Lea has one heck of a game plan and the ND front is ready to face, by far, its stiffest test of the season in the Georgia OL and Swift!

Agree w you about being able to stop the Ga run. But Lville and New Mexico will put big rushing numbers all year so their run stats vs these two teams is miss leading.

But, the Ga run game will be very difficult to stop.

The bigger issue

Agree w you on ND needing to stop the Ga run game. But New Mexico and Lvill will have very good run. Stats all year as that is their O focus. So ND not being able to stop their run as well as we would like - the ND run D is probably a little better than we think.

But the Ga run game will be formidable and tough to stop.

The bigger issue going into this game IMO is being able to run the ball. Against a average to below average NM defense we only had 54 yards rushing the ball at Half time.

If we can’t run the ball vs Ga we will be in trouble

Fromm not being able to run is going to help us out a lot I believe.

Gotta have 8 in the box against Georgia. They're banged up at wr
Let's not forget if Georgia is close to the goal line, Fromm can do a QB keeper like Reese did I believe against Michigan in 2012.

When you play one of the Top 3 teams in the nation, they usually have an excellent offense with lots of levels. Run Game, Play Action, Screen Game, and pushing the ball down the field.

If ND wanted to stop the Georgia run, they can play the old 10-1 defense invented by HS Coach G.A. Moore of Texas, and stone that Georgia running game cold. But at what cost? If ND played that defense they would likely give up 70 points on screens, play action and deep shots.

I concur with the guy from Canada, about sneaking an 8th helmet into the box and slanting and veering the D-Line & LB's to avoid getting beat on. That type of movement can create some confusion for an O-Line, it can also create opportunities to give up big plays on the ground, because you can slant and veer yourself right out of the play.

Also, when you spin a safety into the box, you usually move the other one into the middle of the field, and when a QB sees one safety in the middle of the field, he knows he as 1 on 1 match ups on the outside with wide receivers.

That's why ND really, really, really wants to play defense with both safeties back on the hash. This is a brutally tough match up, considering ND's inexperience at LB.

A few comments on spread. Spread was initially implemented by teams that had inferior talent. All you needed was a speedy QB who could make the reads and a much of quick receivers. The excuse that big runs were aloud because of the concept of something that the majority of programs are using is ridiculous. This is not 2006 any longer. Counters to the QB spread & shred have been around for a decade.

I did not see the New Mexico game. So can't comment. The problem with the Louisville game was not handling the edge, but problems right up the gut. Defenders at the 2nd level were missing tackles or there were truck sized holes for the RB.

That has to be cleaned up big time else it does not matter if you have deities at the ends. You could have Steve Emtman and JJ Wattfor your ends and it will not matter if your tackles cannot hold up. That is what has to change for ND to have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXND30
This game tests Notre Dame's muscle in the trenches.

Yes, Fromm is not about to be taking off running, but Georgia's RB's are quick and explosive.

I will tell guys something undiscussed. UGA is spending a lot of time discussing Hamilton. They-know they need to know where he is on every single snap. Rare players command that kind of attention.
If I am wrong UGA will pay the price!

I don’t think that can happen and ND can still win. I think UGA wins big... 38-10

I expect both coaches to demonstrate how they got their ‘big game’ reputations. I expect a conservative low scoring stressful 60 minutes. One coach will further establish his reputation, the other gets a reprieve!

Fromm can move when he needs to, but he's the type of QB where if you have him running, rather than sitting in a clean pocket to pass, that's a victory for the defense. Jake Fromm running the ball is not a great look for Georgia.

Fromm isn't going to run the ball very often, why should he? His strength isn't running the ball, his strength is looking at the D and deciding which play he feels has the best chance of being successful. If there is 7 or less in the box he will call a run, 8 or more he will call a pass, not the same QB making his first start like he was 2 years ago.

Reactions: maugwa
Fromm isn't going to run the ball very often, why should he? His strength isn't running the ball, his strength is looking at the D and deciding which play he feels has the best chance of being successful. If there is 7 or less in the box he will call a run, 8 or more he will call a pass, not the same QB making his first start like he was 2 years ago.

yea, ND fans (some) forget or ignore that Fromm was a true Fr. starting his 1st game, on the road, at South Bend! And he won!

LOL, Good Lord.

Y'all just got no idea what is coming Saturday do you?:D

Physically this ND team is a whole lot stronger and better conditioned than the team Alabama destroyed in 2012. ND is SEC strong and SEC fast.

Reactions: IrishMike409
yea, ND fans (some) forget or ignore that Fromm was a true Fr. starting his 1st game, on the road, at South Bend! And he won!
And that was one of the best Notre Dame teams in the Brian Kelly era with pro talent all over the offense.

And that Georgia team was in year one or two under Kirby smart with Mark richt recruits back when Georgia was recruiting tenth-ranked classes and not the number one and number two classes that theyve recruited since

Physically this ND team is a whole lot stronger and better conditioned than the team Alabama destroyed in 2012. ND is SEC strong and SEC fast.
Is this a joke?

That Notre Dame 2012 front seven was probably the biggest most physically imposing and best front sevens I've ever seen at Notre Dame in its history. Louis nix stephon tuitt Sheldon day manti te'o kapron lewis-moore, ishaq Williams, Prince shembo, etc. Alabama's fronts on both sides of the ball was simply just bigger and better

Last edited:
My biggest concern in this game is Botre Dame's lack of size in the interior vs Georgia's interior OL. ND's giving up close 35+lbs on average in the middle of their defense. They're going to try to counter that by bringing extra hats into the box and blitzing and slanting, trying to free somebody up for a tackle for loss and a negative play...

Curious to see how long Hinish, MTA, Jay Ade and company can hold up. What would be really nice is if Georgia boy, Julian Okwara, had a coming out party, along with Khalid Kareem and the continued play of Daelin Hayes. If the ends play like they're capable, and battle hard against Thomas and Wilson, it will go a long way towards helping the interior.
Agree 110% just like I said in a previous quote. You don’t run a 18wheeler into a 4x4 and expect to win.......the only way ND wins this game is to put The Dawgs on their heels and make them pass for 30plus times and we will still need turnovers. Styles make fights and this one is a bad bad bad matchup.....

Reactions: Fightingirish595
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT