ADVERTISEMENT

California, NY, and other states looking to ban football before HS

Hence why youth soccer has banned headers until the U-13 ranks I believe. Just because there is a more dangerous sport/event, doesn’t mean changes aren’t necessary. Parents aren’t responsible enough to make decisions like this either.

What will the inner city youth kids do now that football might not be an option? Maybe push their kids into safer sports or put more focus on academics is my guess. How many parents think that their 8 year old son is the next Jim Brown and drive their kids away from what is important and into everything football? Christiano Renaldo has about a 4th grade education because his parents let him quit school to focus solely on soccer. It worked for him obviously, but for how many didn’t it work? Also, being a soccer star with a 4th grade education only works well until your mid30’s.

I love football as much as the next guy, but let’s be honest here. Shame on these states for putting the welfare of the children first? Spare me the nonsense.

Here's the thing - action has been taken. Pop Warner has been changing rules. All the way back in 2010, Pop Warner took the decision aways from both coaches and parents and has required clearance by a medical professional when there's a potential concussion. They've added a number of other rules since - like rules that limit the number of practice, reduce the amount of tackling, and even limiting head on tackling and blocking to 3 yard (it can't be done at a full sprint). They even been considering eliminating the 3 point stance to further limit headbanging for lineman.

Every single state in the country now has concussion management laws that regulate youth sports. They have been effective at requiring parents, coaches, and youth leagues to have kids go through concussion examinations or they can't play anymore. The early result is that insurance claims for concussion treatment have gone up tremendously, and by creating a legal duty to respond to potential concussions, insurance companies now face great risk. They don't like that, so they are financing the legislative lobbying efforts to ban tackle football for youth.

I love the idea of keeping kids safe. How safe do we keep them? Do the relatively new concussion management provide enough safety?

Its not an issue that's being ignored.

And spare me the nonsense about inner city kids. There's a whole lot of baseless assumptions there, not the least of which is reflected by the fact that the overwhelming majority of kids in youth sports live in subarbs with median incomes exceeding $100K per year. And did you know that Pop Warner's Little Scholars program is the ONLY youth program in the country that imposes academic requirements to play? I'm guessing you didn't.

Last edited:
It looks like some around here don't trust the parents to make the proper choices. It looks like some around here want to be helicopter busy bodies in the lives of "not their kids". Much like the state. I'm not interested in doing any research on this but I wonder what the national numbers are for child related injuries/fatalities due to motorbikes, snowmobiles, bicycles, skateboarding, and leisure activity, in and around the water? I understand some parents are out of the collective minds when it comes to their kids and competition, but their kids, their decision.

Reactions: justified1
Here's the thing - action has been taken. Pop Warner has been changing rules. All the way back in 2010, Pop Warner took the decision aways from both coaches and parents and has required clearance by a medical professional when there's a potential concussion. They've added a number of other rules since - like rules that limit the number of practice, reduce the amount of tackling, and even limiting head on tackling and blocking to 3 yard (it can't be done at a full sprint). They even been considering eliminating the 3 point stance to further limit headbanging for lineman.

Every single state in the country now has concussion management laws that regulate youth sports. They have been effective at requiring parents, coaches, and youth leagues to have kids go through concussion examinations or they can't play anymore. The early result is that insurance claims for concussion treatment have gone up tremendously, and by creating a legal duty to respond to potential concussions, insurance companies now face great risk. They don't like that, so they are financing the legislative lobbying efforts to ban tackle football for youth.

I love the idea of keeping kids safe. How safe do we keep them? Do the relatively new concussion management provide enough safety?

Its not an issue that's being ignored.

And spare me the nonsense about inner city kids. There's a whole lot of baseless assumptions there, not the least of which is reflected by the fact that the overwhelming majority of kids in youth sports live in subarbs with median incomes exceeding $100K per year. And did you know that Pop Warner's Little Scholars program is the ONLY youth program in the country that imposes academic requirements to play? I'm guessing you didn't.

The inner city kids comment was at the poster who stated by eliminating football that they were taking away any chance at success these kids might have.

I don’t recall saying that “nothing” was being done for the kids safety in football presently either. My point was just to support the states decision.

I wonder how much concussion protocols are being followed in youth sports. Even the NFL can’t seem to follow their own rules. There were at least two occasions this year where a player was sent back into a game after having his bell rung.

Not sure but you seem to have severely misinterpreted what I wrote.

It looks like some around here don't trust the parents to make the proper choices. It looks like some around here want to be helicopter busy bodies in the lives of "not their kids". Much like the state. I'm not interested in doing any research on this but I wonder what the national numbers are for child related injuries/fatalities due to motorbikes, snowmobiles, bicycles, skateboarding, and leisure activity, in and around the water? I understand some parents are out of the collective minds when it comes to their kids and competition, but their kids, their decision.

Parents usually aren’t well trained doctors nor do they have the research data to make the correct decisions in some cases. It’s not that they’re stupid (some are), but they’re ignorant of the facts in some cases. The NFL held this from its own players for years and then denied knowing anything about it. They also had their own doctors refuting CTE even existed. Do you think they somehow willfully gave up this info to their future cash cow’s parents?

My hunch is that most parents were ok with child labor during the Industrial Revolution. For no reason other than the fear of lost income.

For the record, my oldest is 14 and my youngest is 7 and all 3 of mine are in sports. I speak for my kids (who can do whatever they want).

Last edited:
Parents are well trained as parents of their kids. There are dangers everywhere that these parents have to navigate through with their children. They cannot live in a bubble. Illinois might go ahead and try this nonsense. The parents will just cross the border to Indiana and play tackle there. Illinois doesn't allow fireworks. Parents just cross the border to Indiana to make their buy. Illinois (Cook County) tried to stamp out soda. It didn't work. Parents just crossed the border to Indiana. Make all the info available for parents and let them make their own decision.

Parents are well trained as parents of their kids. There are dangers everywhere that these parents have to navigate through with their children. They cannot live in a bubble. Illinois might go ahead and try this nonsense. The parents will just cross the border to Indiana and play tackle there. Illinois doesn't allow fireworks. Parents just cross the border to Indiana to make their buy. Illinois (Cook County) tried to stamp out soda. It didn't work. Parents just crossed the border to Indiana. Make all the info available for parents and let them make their own decision.

Lol. There’s nothing wrong with crossing the border for fireworks. Until you’ve slammed a case of beer and burned your neighbors house down with his family in it. There’s nothing wrong with drinking some pop from time to time. Until it becomes the only thing your family drinks and they’re all diabetic and have no teeth by 30 years of age. I understand these cases can be small percentages though. Still doesn’t stop people from doing it, right?

Soda is cheaper than water, yet is 95% water. Weird huh? They sure make drinking soda easy.

Last edited:
The inner city kids comment was at the poster who stated by eliminating football that they were taking away any chance at success these kids might have.

I don’t recall saying that “nothing” was being done for the kids safety in football presently either. My point was just to support the states decision.

I wonder how much concussion protocols are being followed in youth sports. Even the NFL can’t seem to follow their own rules. There were at least two occasions this year where a player was sent back into a game after having his bell rung.

Not sure but you seem to have severely misinterpreted what I wrote.

Thanks for clarifying.

Again, I find it amazing that being physically maimed isn't a legit concern.
Yet how do you not accept the fact that thousands upon thousands of kids play football and do not suffer ill effects? To have a debate you need to show both sides.

Yet how do you not accept the fact that thousands upon thousands of kids play football and do not suffer ill effects? To have a debate you need to show both sides.
It's hard to measure because the effects happen years down the road. CTE is a real thing. What percentage is ok then? Ten percent brain damaged kids? 20? I believe this definitely needs to be investigaed. I did not allow my son to play youth football for fear of head trauma and that was ten years ago.

I coached football for 20 years. Was a Varsity HS Head Coach for 8, small college position coach and Defensive coordinator the rest of the time. Played Division 1 football. My father has coached football almost every year since 1974. He just won a state title at the age of 68. He has been a defensive coordinator at the varsity, JC, or D3 level for the better part of the last 30 years. That being said, he would not let my brother or me play youth football until grade 8. Instead we played soccer, hoops and wrestled. It did not hurt us or effect our level of play in the least. We both earned scholarships, both played varsity as sophomores, and were both team captains. I know every situation is unique and not every kid has the benefit of that level of football knowledge, etc at home. He was a Vietnam guy, marine yet he didn't feel that it was a safe sport for little kids. I agree with him and have often thought about how it should be done. I have been talking about this for 20 years. I do not think youth tackle football should be played until middle school. I would like to see it move back to the school system. It would then be under the umbrella of the Head Varsity Coach. The youth coaches could be involved but obviously the vetting and requirements would be more than what they have currently. Also, I'd like to see the Big boys out there playing, no more making weight. The game is played that way in HS, College, and the NFL, so why not with the kids as well.

I haven't studied this but from what I recall, there wasn't a lot of hitting for ten year olds and under. Lots of arm tackling, pushing and shoving, dragging ball carriers down via the jersey, etc. It wasn't until you got to 11 or so that the hitting became more serious. Maybe that was because our coaching was a lot more serious for the 11 & 12 year old traveling team...

Anyway, I would be fine with flag football for those under high school. You could let girls participate too, which would be a boost for the sport.

That has nothing to do with my post. You clearly don't understand the point I was making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT