ADVERTISEMENT

California, NY, and other states looking to ban football before HS

irish4life888

I've posted how many times?
Sep 20, 2009
Many states are now looking to ban football until HS as they say head injuries are very detrimental to developing brains.

I played pop warner from age 7 until high school, and i remember being involved in a few serious "stingers"-- from head on head collisions or a blindsided hit --several times a year.

I don't remember there being any concussion symptoms, but the head to head impact is no joke, especially at their ages.

Last edited:
We ought to just make it illegal for kids to play. The little slackers should make themselves useful. Leave this playing nonsense to the adults.

And Link (for below)

imrs.php

Last edited:
There was talk of banning Father / Daughter dances in NYC. I guess nothing would shock me. Soon no longer male or female, "Lifeforms".

RGC, As a native New Yorker, you gotta watch Colin Quinn NY Stories.

Leave it up to the parents.

I agree. But I don't think this type of legislation gets momentum because of concerned moms with too much time on their hands.

I have no doubt that there are concerned people involved the legislation efforts (in Illinois, there's a ban proposal called the Dave Duerson Act) but much of the legislative momentum has been fueled and financed by the insurance industry. Concussion related claims for dependent children have gone up 500% over the last 5 years due to the heightened awareness of the seriousness of concussions, particularly second impact syndrome and CTE. And financially that's nothing compared to the insurance industry's potential liability for brain injury litigation, which has been compared to asbestos litigation.

in the future they will have robots playing the game. Since most of the younger millennial generation don't want to exert themselves with physical activity. and want every thing handed to them and think life is an app. look I just push the app button and wallah everything is done for me. I don't want to sound like the get off my lawn old guy. BUT this younger generation is in BIG TROUBLE in the future. since they were raised to be wimps!!!

There was talk of banning Father / Daughter dances in NYC.

When my daughter was eight, her stupid mother shamed us into going to a stupid father-daughter dance that neither of us wanted to be involved with. I was an involved dad, but I thought it was awkward and weird.

She's 26 now. We have a great relationship. Not long ago she gave me a copy of a picture that she'd saved since that night. Pretty amazing considering how young she was.

Her mom looks a little smarter on that one now.

I played pop warner from age 7 until high school, and i remember being involved in a few serious "stingers"-- from head on head collisions or a blindsided hit --several times a year.

I don't remember there being any concussion symptoms, but the head to head impact is no joke, especially at their ages.
I played starting ib sixth grade and played until HS. I did not let me son play pop warner.

I played starting ib sixth grade and played until HS. I did not let me son play pop warner.

I played starting in 5th grade CYO football. no weight limitations. Never saw on kid have a head injury. people got injured generally it was wind knocked out of them. My boys played pop warner from about 60 lb level. never saw one kid with a head injury. Were some ankle and finger jams and bee stings though

I played starting in 5th grade CYO football. no weight limitations. Never saw on kid have a head injury. people got injured generally it was wind knocked out of them. My boys played pop warner from about 60 lb level. never saw one kid with a head injury. Were some ankle and finger jams and bee stings though

I think the concern now is generally not concussions of clear head injuries but sub-concussive hits that pile up.

I think the concern now is generally not concussions of clear head injuries but sub-concussive hits that pile up.
I would agree, while I don't ever remember (pardon the pun) getting a concussion at least playing football I definitely had my bell rung a few times. Of course back then it was just "shake it off son".

my point was it did not happen once at those ages. and Naturally, you have the heavily lawyerized liberal states pushing for this

my point was it did not happen once at those ages. and Naturally, you have the heavily lawyerized liberal states pushing for this

And my point is that the concern isn't with a clear, diagnosed head injury, but repeated hits that rattle the brain.

I would agree, while I don't ever remember (pardon the pun) getting a concussion at least playing football I definitely had my bell rung a few times. Of course back then it was just "shake it off son".

Correct - I think this is the issue (and most likely not even the ones that are noticed by the coaches).

Correct - I think this is the issue (and most likely not even the ones that are noticed by the coaches).
Especially with developing brains and politics put aside I totally agree with. There appears now we have empirical evidence this is a legit concern.

And my point is that the concern isn't with a clear, diagnosed head injury, but repeated hits that rattle the brain.
It more likely to happen in high school on up not middle school down. the kids are bigger and faster. also these headshot type of hits generally are more open field launches. So I disagree with the premise

in the future they will have robots playing the game. Since most of the younger millennial generation don't want to exert themselves with physical activity. and want every thing handed to them and think life is an app. look I just push the app button and wallah everything is done for me. I don't want to sound like the get off my lawn old guy. BUT this younger generation is in BIG TROUBLE in the future. since they were raised to be wimps!!!
I hope the robots in the future take care of your dumb ass... lolz what a clown

Reactions: echowaker
I live in Texas where we just built a 70 million dollar stadium for hs football. I'm all for taking football out of hs and taking it private. The tax money for schools need to be going to the schools and teachers. I love football but we are jumping the shark down here.

Especially with developing brains and politics put aside I totally agree with. There appears now we have empirical evidence this is a legit concern.

I find it amazing that damage to developing knees/backs/shoulders/necks somehow has never been a legit concern.

It was not mentioned, ana I think most exexper would agree that cuncussions in basketball are rare.

I think the experts are still working on their opinions. The last NCAA statistics I saw (it was a self reported study) had 14% of NCAA women's basketball players report concussions, compared to 18% of NCAA football players. The thing about basetball and soccer is that there isn't any protective equipment when players knock heads and or take an elbow to the head. In a fast moving game, the action doesn't stop and the contact often goes relatively unnoticed. IMO, its something parents should take seriously in many sports.

Last month LA Clippers Blake Griffin took an elbow to the head and collapsed on the floor. The game went on at the other end of the court until someone realized he was shaking on floor.

If I had a time machine to do it all over again, I'd take the money I spent for football, baseball, basketball, softball, and gymnastic camps and spend it on golf lessons for my kids. Not so much for safety, but its a sport they can enjoy their entire lives.

If I had a time machine to do it all over again, I'd take the money I spent for football, baseball, basketball, softball, and gymnastic camps and spend it on golf lessons for my kids. Not so much for safety, but its a sport they can enjoy their entire lives.
golf is good, but tennis is better. A sport you can play for life and great exercise. Oh and skiing which I'm doing right now.

Reactions: IRISHJD98
Ewing why do imply that I am not informed. you come across very smug. Google is our friend. I read a study on girls youth soccer and head injuries. low sample like the aricle you seem to think is gospel. I based my original opinion not on stats but personal observation. just as valid as this study based on data
used The opinion based study was used to justify an agenda. If you look at other studies all youth sports have a direct colleration to an increase in all injuries including head trama. so lets ban youth football and if we must play all children will be wrapped in bubble wrap. lets sue pop warner because they are evil.

And that's alright but it's your decision not the governments and the do gooders. How many kids from poor backgrounds will now be unable to attend college once football goes away? Probably more of a social issue than kids playing the game of football.

I believe football would be allowed but just not played tackle.

And that's alright but it's your decision not the governments and the do gooders. How many kids from poor backgrounds will now be unable to attend college once football goes away? Probably more of a social issue than kids playing the game of football.

these lefties will get their way and soccer will become the sport. the nytimes article data is making a statement that because of this; this must be true. it does not show any truths. girls youth soccer program showed similar info why not put that info in the nytimes. eventually college, highschool and pro football will be banned . we all need bubble wrap.

Reactions: pierremc
I guess you missed the part where is said "until High School". Sadly, the majority of these poor kids that have great talent go to football factories that steer them toward worthless degrees that don't even prepare them to work at McDonalds so no loss there.

Football is optional at all levels. It's not mandatory. Let the parents decide. Football is under attack. Whether we look back and decide not to let our kids play is irrelevant. The kids currently involved are not our kids to decide. For better or worse, that's why they have parents. Politicians, lawyers, insurance companies, community organizers are not the parents of those involved. If parents decide flag is best, then so be it. If they decide soccer as an alternative, that's their choice. CYO Golden Gloves used to be huge when I was a lad. I was involved throughout HS. Is that even around anymore?

Reactions: ndnd and zonairish
We ought to just make it illegal for kids to play. The little slackers should make themselves useful. Leave this playing nonsense to the adults.

And Link (for below)

imrs.php

Hence why youth soccer has banned headers until the U-13 ranks I believe. Just because there is a more dangerous sport/event, doesn’t mean changes aren’t necessary. Parents aren’t responsible enough to make decisions like this either.

What will the inner city youth kids do now that football might not be an option? Maybe push their kids into safer sports or put more focus on academics is my guess. How many parents think that their 8 year old son is the next Jim Brown and drive their kids away from what is important and into everything football? Christiano Renaldo has about a 4th grade education because his parents let him quit school to focus solely on soccer. It worked for him obviously, but for how many didn’t it work? Also, being a soccer star with a 4th grade education only works well until your mid30’s.

I love football as much as the next guy, but let’s be honest here. Shame on these states for putting the welfare of the children first? Spare me the nonsense.

Last edited:
It's not just soccer. Youth hockey eliminated checking until players are 13. The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) has changed the rules in basketball on swinging your elbows after a rebound to match the NCAA rules and made just the act of doing it excessively a foul. Any contact above the shoulders is an intentional foul and an elbow to the head is a flagrant foul. Little League has eliminated the on deck circle for players 12 and under. Oh, and Pop Warner has banned any straight on tackling or blocking drills where the players are three yards or more apart. Plus they've restricted the contact portion of practice to a third of the total practice time.

I wonder why there are all of these changes.

Protecting kids is usually a good idea. If there was any other situation where parents were putting their kids in harm's way for entertainment purposes, there would be a huge uproar.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT