ADVERTISEMENT

BVG fired

Yes, it is Official:

In the midst of his third season as Notre Dame's defensive coordinator, Brian VanGorder has been fired.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly officially announced the firing Sunday afternoon, shortly after Football Scoop fired reported the news.

"This is a difficult decision," Kelly said in a statement. "I have the utmost respect for Brian as both a person and football coach, but our defense simply isn't it where it should be and I believe this change is necessary for the best interest of our program and our student-athletes."

Kelly announced that Greg Hudson will assume coordinator duties. Hudson has served as a defensive coordinator at Purdue, East Carolina and Minnesota, as well as the assistant head coach and linebackers coach at Florida State.

Hudson joined the Notre Dame staff in June as a defensive analyst.

"It's never easy to make a change on your staff, but I'm confident in Greg's ability to lead our defense. As a former player at Notre Dame and an experienced defensive coordinator, he not only understands the expectations necessary to compete at the highest level, but he'll bring a fresh perspective to our sideline, practice field and meeting rooms."

Hudson is a 1990 Notre Dame graduate and was a graduate assistant for the Irish in 1993. He takes over a defense currently ranked 103 in total defense, 101st in scoring defense, 96th in rushing, tied for 126th in sacks and tied for 114th in tackles for loss.

"Obviously, this is a difficult day for our coaching staff, but I'm excited and honored about the opportunity that Coach Kelly has afforded me," Hudson said in the release. "We've got to improve on defense, without a doubt, and I'm confident that we will. We have great student-athletes and a tremendous defensive coaching staff. I can't wait to get started with our group."

Kelly is scheduled to speak to the media on his Sunday teleconference at 2 p.m.

Well, let the new DC sweepstakes begin.

Just try to keep the partying down a bit, Some of us have to work in the morning.

Get ready for this to be a tough year for us. It needed to happen but our D is going to struggle no matter who took over this year. I just want us to win at least 8 games and play in a solid bowl. Kelly is not going to be fired unless we go something like 3-9. But next year he will be #1 on the Hot seat. Not saying anything but don't be surprised if he jumps ship to the NFL.

Yes, it is Official:

In the midst of his third season as Notre Dame's defensive coordinator, Brian VanGorder has been fired.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly officially announced the firing Sunday afternoon, shortly after Football Scoop fired reported the news.

"This is a difficult decision," Kelly said in a statement. "I have the utmost respect for Brian as both a person and football coach, but our defense simply isn't it where it should be and I believe this change is necessary for the best interest of our program and our student-athletes."

Kelly announced that Greg Hudson will assume coordinator duties. Hudson has served as a defensive coordinator at Purdue, East Carolina and Minnesota, as well as the assistant head coach and linebackers coach at Florida State.

"It's never easy to make a change on your staff, but I'm confident in Greg's ability to lead our defense. As a former player at Notre Dame and an experienced defensive coordinator, he not only understands the expectations necessary to compete at the highest level, but he'll bring a fresh perspective to our sideline, practice field and meeting rooms."

Hudson is a 1990 Notre Dame graduate and was a graduate assistant for the Irish in 1993. He takes over a defense currently ranked 103 in total defense, 101st in scoring defense, 96th in rushing, tied for 126th in sacks and tied for 114th in tackles for loss.

"Obviously, this is a difficult day for our coaching staff, but I'm excited and honored about the opportunity that Coach Kelly has afforded me," Hudson said in the release. "We've got to improve on defense, without a doubt, and I'm confident that we will. We have great student-athletes and a tremendous defensive coaching staff. I can't wait to get started with our group."

With all do respects how is this a difficult decision . This guy was out of his element from day one
Should have been fired after Stanford game
Kelly is probably being nice but BVG was a clown and never been hired in first place . At end of season a total reevaluation of the defense should be implemented

Should have done this 9 months ago.
Your right thunder this is the most delayed obvious decision in history
After Stanford I would of got rid of him - the man was the worst defensive coordinator in history of football . He never figured out the option for gods sake - a total fool

My view is slightly different, although BVG was completely out of his element, Hudson or whoever that takes over, will find the talent on the defense is not that good. Especially on the line. Coaching will take you so far, but lack of talent is something else. This still doesn't solve the larger problem - Coach 8 & 4.

With all do respects how is this a difficult decision . This guy was out of his element from day one
Should have been fired after Stanford game
Kelly is probably being nice but BVG was a clown and never been hired in first place . At end of season a total reevaluation of the defense should be implemented
Because he's a human being and firing anyone is difficult. Let's not forget these guys are human beings, not just emotionless robots.

Reactions: perseverare
Is hudson the answer?
Nobody is this year. You can't expect a DC to come in without the benefit of spring or fall camp and turn things around. The best he can do is simplify the defense and spend a lot of time on fundamentals

I would like to see ND get Brent Venables. Obviously that will have to wait until the season is over.

I don't know why BVG is getting fired after yesterday, our D got its first sack of the season, plus they stopped Duke on 4th down twice.

My view is slightly different, although BVG was completely out of his element, Hudson or whoever that takes over, will find the talent on the defense is not that good. Especially on the line. Coaching will take you so far, but lack of talent is something else. This still doesn't solve the larger problem - Coach 8 & 4.
There are not 100 teams with better talent on D than ND and yet that's where we rank. No one is expecting a top level defense with this group of players and the damage done this year with the lack of proper coaching is probably too much to overcome right away, but assuming the next permanent DC is somewhat competent, there is no reason we shouldn't expect a top 30-level D next year with the talent we have and top 30 should be good enough to compliment our offense.

Reactions: ftnfan62
There are not 100 teams with better talent on D than ND and yet that's where we rank. No one is expecting a top level defense with this group of players and the damage done this year with the lack of proper coaching is probably too much to overcome right away, but assuming the next permanent DC is somewhat competent, there is no reason we shouldn't expect a top 30-level D next year with the talent we have.

True. But most teams open the season playing the softer part of their schedules. Not 3 P5 teams out of 4 games.

There are not 100 teams with better talent on D than ND and yet that's where we rank. No one is expecting a top level defense with this group of players and the damage done this year with the lack of proper coaching is probably too much to overcome right away, but assuming the next permanent DC is somewhat competent, there is no reason we shouldn't expect a top 30-level D next year with the talent we have.

Not with that line. Maybe top 50. There has always been a lot of hype on the recruiting classes here. The week-in and week-out play does not show very skilled players. That line gets pushed around every game. Its not all coaching. But a change should create a sense of urgency and more focus by some. I just don't expect too much to change.

just read on another irish board where someone is telling everybody that jack made this happen and that if Kelly doesn't basically get things turned around then he and notre dame will part ways. the guys claims the rumors are coming from twitter. also reading that mike frank is also saying that jack made the decision and not kelly

just read on another irish board where someone is telling everybody that jack made this happen and that if Kelly doesn't basically get things turned around then he and notre dame will part ways. the guys claims the rumors are coming from twitter. also reading that mike frank is also saying that jack made the decision and not kelly

Maybe Swarbrick understands a death spiral and the only way is to blow it up immediately or wait it out through some very painful times. (By the way, not saying this is him, but good CEO's know and have the courage to blow something up when its god awful. - Case in point Coca Cola 8 years ago. that took 48 hours.) If true, Coach 8 & 4 or 7 & 5 may be on the way out yet.

Maybe Swarbrick understands a death spiral and the only way is to blow it up immediately or wait it out through some very painful times. (By the way, not saying this is him, but good CEO's know and have the courage to blow something up when its god awful. - Case in point Coca Cola 8 years ago. that took 48 hours.) If true, Coach 8 & 4 or 7 & 5 may be on the way out yet.
The time to blow it up was after last season.

True. But most teams open the season playing the softer part of their schedules. Not 3 P5 teams out of 4 games.
That part is true too but, with the possible exception of Texas, the other 2 power 5 teams we played weren't offensive powerhouses. Also, our under-performing defense goes back before this year. If we find a half-way decent DC I think we'll find out the players he has to work with are significantly better than what they've shown. That's not to say we don't need to recruit better defensive players. We absolutely do, but to do that we have to show those recruits that they can succeed at ND and that starts with coaching up the current group to the top 30 level. I think that's possible with the players we have even with our schedule.

After yesterdays presser one thing is clear: Swarbrick forced Kelly's hand. The power brokers at ND are not happy. This is a good thing. Unless you are Brian Kelly.

After yesterdays presser one thing is clear: Swarbrick forced Kelly's hand. The power brokers at ND are not happy. This is a good thing. Unless you are Brian Kelly.

I'm on board with the firing but understand this, fire Kelly who are we getting do me a favor and not mention any of the top 15 to 30 coaches in college football becuase they are not coming. If you want a renegade coach who is good will come and win hire Bobby Peterino becuase that is the best we can get. So our option is an unkown and pray to TD jesus he's the next big thing.

It makes no difference who the Head Coach is. Unless The Administration changes it's view. If enough big money alums get pissed off it could force their hands. Short of that, it would just be a change for changes sake. That would be fine as well. Would give us something new to be excited about and a different message to hear. Any Coach would do. Bring Diaco in. He knows Defense and would be interesting.

Yes, it is Official:

Well unfortunately Kelly had no choice. In my view when you dont have a very talented defense you need to go and teach the basics. That defensed wasnt executed at all. Missed tackles were so obivious. There wasnt no pass rush, i didnt even see any blitzes executed. The defense was so predictable to offenses it wasnt funny. Even quarterbacks had very little trouble with that defense. In my books focus on the basics thats what needs to be done and i havent seen that in this defense.

Reactions: Java65
If Jack did make this decision that's not good news for Kelly. When your boss tells you he no longer trusts your judgement and he's making the real big decisions the writing is on the wall.

Reactions: HuddleBurger
Because he's a human being and firing anyone is difficult. Let's not forget these guys are human beings, not just emotionless robots.
Right. And Kelly doesn't fire people. Not to mention Van Gorder has a son on the team.

I thought he may get ax after the /stanford game. Figuring we would get embarrassed. However, Duke was an embarrassment so finally.

It looks like the handwriting is on the wall : " This will be Kelly's last season." BVG takes the fall , rightfull so,
now. Kelly finishes the year, and saves face by resigning at season's end. He walks away a lot richer than when he came in, and in the meantime he can start exploring whatever other opportunities may be out there ? With his millions, he can do whatever he likes ? Not that we don't have enough lousy politicians destroying
our once great Nation, but that is another possibility for him ? Lots of Koolaide drinkers out there !

a good start but Kelly is next to go. He really is just the wrong kind of guy for ND.

send hellmothud packing asap!

It looks like the handwriting is on the wall : " This will be Kelly's last season." BVG takes the fall , rightfull so,
now. Kelly finishes the year, and saves face by resigning at season's end. He walks away a lot richer than when he came in, and in the meantime he can start exploring whatever other opportunities may be out there ? With his millions, he can do whatever he likes ? Not that we don't have enough lousy politicians destroying
our once great Nation, but that is another possibility for him ? Lots of Koolaide drinkers out there !
I don't see Porky walking away from all that money. They will have to fire him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT