ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner sadly is toast

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
What was he thinking? Where does he go from here? Does he have his ND degree?

Such a good kid but from all accounts not a natural leader and it’s baffling how his passing has gone from very good in high school to Brandon wimbush throws into the ground. Rees n Kelly must have that developmental touch of gold

Last edited:
Reactions: d1042
Just maybe he was not as good in high school as he looked?

and it was in the end only high school. Look at how many top College QBs flame out in the NFL when they take a real step up in competition.

Reactions: NDinNJ

Such a good kid but from all accounts not a natural leader and it’s baffling how his passing has gone from very good in high school to Brandon wimbush throws into the ground. Rees n Kelly must have that developmental touch if gold

Michigan wished Brandon was that bad.

buchner will probably be Bama's scout team QB to simulate athletic QBs they face vs Miss, LSU, Tenn

He should have looked at a school like ncsu or a mid grade school with a history of developing QBs over time. Hindsight is 20-20. He will learn from this and hopefully grow.

Reactions: theskibro
Geez I hope Buchner isn't a quitter like a lot of posters here who are totally writing him off after one half of play

Reactions: raycyrx
None of the Kelly quarterbacks are doing well (no joy in noticing). What do they all have in common? Kelly. Now he has a quarterback he didn't recruit...Daniels is a 5th year senior....who may be set in his ways beyond Kelly's reach...since Kelly only has one season to ruin him. They both could get by this year on that basis.

None of the Kelly quarterbacks are doing well (no joy in noticing). What do they all have in common? Kelly. Now he has a quarterback he didn't recruit...Daniels is a 5th year senior....who may be set in his ways beyond Kelly's reach...since Kelly only has one season to ruin him. They both could get by this year on that basis.
What was Kelly’s W/L record at ND ?

Geez I hope Buchner isn't a quitter like a lot of posters here who are totally writing him off after one half of play

Nick Saban says Ty Simpson 'earned the right' to be second team quarterback.​

Looks like Nick wrote him off as well. One quarter against the second worst team on their schedule was all it took.

Last edited:
Reactions: futuredomer
Sad development for Buchner for sure. Really wanted him to stay and get his ND degree, and was hoping he could be used a few times each game as a change of pace running threat. Not sure why Rees recruited him for Alabama given their QB room. On paper, I thought he was always going to end up #3 there.

They never saw anything in him to quit about. He never showed anything that really indicated he would be a top QB. Those that kept saying so are the real losers

I NEVER thought he would amount to much; one year of high school ball means nothing. He never showed any real progress in being a good passer; and never appeared to learn good judgement

Such a good kid but from all accounts not a natural leader and it’s baffling how his passing has gone from very good in high school to Brandon wimbush throws into the ground. Rees n Kelly must have that developmental touch of gold

A quarterback that was over hyped and didn’t live up to expectations on the big time college football stage? What has this world come to?

Reactions: HDK and tbonesays
My take is CBK neither knew good QB potential nor their development. You'd think Rees might, but then again, he was not a good QB himself. And Rees had to be impacted by CBK to some degree.

CBK is about the scheme and game day coaching over developing talent. At least Freeman seems common sense, having gone out and gotten Hartman. It's really that simple for me.

My take is CBK neither knew good QB potential nor their development. You'd think Rees might, but then again, he was not a good QB himself. And Rees had to be impacted by CBK to some degree.

CBK is about the scheme and game day coaching over developing talent. At least Freeman seems common sense, having gone out and gotten Hartman. It's really that simple for me.

As a preface, I’m glad Kelly left. He clearly believed he couldn’t win a title at ND. Good. Leave.

That said, Kelly got Jayden Daniels for 2022. Why didn’t Freeman? Answer: You can’t just pluck anyone. They have to agree to come to ND. Yes, I’m happy with QB recruiting with Freeman and its better than Kelly.

As far as Kelly being about scheme over developing, I disagree. Look at CMU prior to Kelly. Five seasons had passed since they had won just 5 games. Kelly won 6 in year two. 9 in year 3. Cincy won 19 games in the 3 years prior to Kelly. 33 in the 3 years after. That’s development. I doubt their recruiting got so much better at either school or that his schemes were just that good.

*Freeman* is the schemer IMO. Brian Kelly’s defensive schemes under Diaco were super basic. Much better tackling than under Weis/Tenuta.

We’re going to see in the next year or two about Freeman when/if he doesn’t have three fifth year linebackers. Same for losing Hart and any safeties.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Why would they offer him ?

They have his tape. San Diego State is a pretty good program.

IMO the previous poster pushing UC Davis was on target.

24-17, circus catch by Finke.

Rees protégés Jurkovec, Pyne and Buchner all struggling at other schools.

Join the dots.
Any Notre Dame starting QB who beats a favored Michigan team is thumbs up in my book.

Daniels might escape for a while but when crunch time comes BK will reign him in and take control to neutralize his talents.

• Haha
Reactions: melstew
A quarterback that was over hyped and didn’t live up to expectations on the big time college football stage? What has this world come to?
MY question is -- what's been Buchner's ENDGAME?

To become an NFL QB?

Does anyone think he has an NFL future?

Or EVER had one?

Seems highly DOUBTFUL.

As a preface, I’m glad Kelly left. He clearly believed he couldn’t win a title at ND. Good. Leave.

That said, Kelly got Jayden Daniels for 2022. Why didn’t Freeman? Answer: You can’t just pluck anyone. They have to agree to come to ND. Yes, I’m happy with QB recruiting with Freeman and its better than Kelly.

As far as Kelly being about scheme over developing, I disagree. Look at CMU prior to Kelly. Five seasons had passed since they had won just 5 games. Kelly won 6 in year two. 9 in year 3. Cincy won 19 games in the 3 years prior to Kelly. 33 in the 3 years after. That’s development. I doubt their recruiting got so much better at either school or that his schemes were just that good.

*Freeman* is the schemer IMO. Brian Kelly’s defensive schemes under Diaco were super basic. Much better tackling than under Weis/Tenuta.

We’re going to see in the next year or two about Freeman when/if he doesn’t have three fifth year linebackers. Same for losing Hart and any safeties.
Good points.

People also forget that Kelly brought in Coan and, overall, stuck with him. That partnership produced 11-1.

The verdict is out on Freeman for sure, although Im starting to get hopeful. I posted even recently how I was doubtful given no head coaching experience. But also posted some glimmers of hope, around recruiting, development, charisma, and just growing fast, maybe having talent at this?

Regardless, I guess we can agree to disagree on the CBK development angle. Note I was specifically talking about QB, but aside from this, I don't think it was CBK's main strength. I think he was an overall good program manager who gradually put together a better team. He was limited in elite recruiting, but in my view still less than the sum of very good if not elite parts.

I appreciated CBK, although I didn't love him. He got ND back in striking distance, but not close enough. Any coach at ND has impediments to win a NC...but, to beat a dead horse, CBK nevertheless didn't get the most of his teams.

I have not been impressed with Freeman's defenses. In 2021, we gave up a lot of big plays. I think in general our tackling has gotten really bad, and I don't see a major improvement in team speed. And this is a team with lots of seniors and fifth year players. Next year could get ugly.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
I have not been impressed with Freeman's defenses. In 2021, we gave up a lot of big plays. I think in general our tackling has gotten really bad, and I don't see a major improvement in team speed. And this is a team with lots of seniors and fifth year players. Next year could get ugly.
You will be impressed Saturday nite

Your comment about next year is WELL TAKEN.

The best ND coaches have done well in years one and two and then have either had an outstanding year three or just kept motoring on as in years one and two.

But of almost all of those who HAVEN'T done well over their ND careers, year three has proved their undoing.

Anderson went 13-4-1 in years one and two then fell to 3-5-1 and was fired. Brennan went 17-3 then fell to 2-8 and never recovered. Davie went 16-9 then fell to 5-7, indicating that he wasn't the guy. And Weis went 19-6 only to fall to 3-9 as he logged the most single-season losses in ND history.

And, of course, Freeman still has this year to deal with, though I would say that THE MOST PLAUSIBLE WORST CASE SCENARIO would be another 9-4. I say that, bearing in mind that OSU and USC may simply be better teams, regardless of ND's home field advantage, while ND having to play both Duke -- the week after OSU -- and Clemson down south may prove tougher than people are anticipating.

And then, of course, there's the coin-flip bowl game.

These comments are in no way meant to be PREDICTIVE. I'm only outlining what I consider entirely PLAUSIBLE negatives. Anything can happen in a football game between two reasonably matched teams. And a lot depends on FRAME OF MIND and EMOTION LEVEL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT