ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner not given the opportunity

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
It seems like several fans/posters on this site are upset Buchner transferred. Should ND no longer seek out transfers and players in the portal and just go with their current roster? Was Buchner not given a chance to win the position? Hopefully no other teams accept transfers to better their roster and drive competition. It’s 2023 not 1993

Reactions: theskibro
It seems like several fans/posters on this site are upset Buchner transferred. Should ND no longer seek out transfers and players in the portal and just go with their current roster? Was Buchner not given a chance to win the position? Hopefully no other teams accept transfers to better their roster and drive competition. It’s 2023 not 1993
It is 2023. No argument there. It will be 2024. Who's your starting QB?

If Buchner was better than Hartman, he would have showed it in the spring game. The difference between the two was astounding. Also, Angeli outperformed Buchner in the spring game. If you're a dude, you don't let your alleged back up outperform you. Spring games matter to show coaches that you can perform in real time game situations. That's what they have to use to help assemble the best performing football squad.

As far as I'm concerned, Hartman was brought in to the program to increase the competition in the QB room, which I think most would agree was much needed. Nothing was given to him. It appeared from reports that there was equal opportunity between Hartman and Buchner to display their skills. Hartman won. Buchner didn't like that. Oh well. Good riddance. Let's start to develop Minchey.

Are the coaches supposed to bend to the ego of every highly touted high school prospect just to keep them on campus? Buchner thinks that he is better than he is. He is in for a rude awakening at Bama. He will light a fire under Simpson and Milroe, that is certain. But it will be a matter of time before he ends up transferring to a low tier Pac-12 where he will have a decent end to his college career.

Reactions: theskibro
It is 2023. No argument there. It will be 2024. Who's your starting QB?
I would say Minchey or Angeli. So many assume that either of these two will never develop into a serviceable QB. My money is on Minchey. With a year in the system, I think he will grasp what he needs to be ready in 2024. He throws a beautiful ball and our wide receivers are looking promising.

Too many on here think that Minchey or Angelis won't be able to play in 2024 for some reason. Is it because of their year? Minchey will be a sophomore, Angeli will be a junior. Can you only be a 5th year senior to start at QB in college football? Have there been examples of underclassmen taking the helm at QB and succeeding? Gee, I wonder. Everett Golson lead ND to an undefeated season and appearance in the NC as a red shirt freshman.

I would say Minchey or Angeli. So many assume that either of these two will never develop into a serviceable QB. My money is on Minchey. With a year in the system, I think he will grasp what he needs to be ready in 2024. He throws a beautiful ball and our wide receivers are looking promising.

Too many on here think that Minchey or Angelis won't be able to play in 2024 for some reason. Is it because of their year? Minchey will be a sophomore, Angeli will be a junior. Can you only be a 5th year senior to start at QB in college football? Have there been examples of underclassmen taking the helm at QB and succeeding? Gee, I wonder. Everett Golson lead ND to an undefeated season and appearance in the NC as a red shirt freshman.
They had Pyne and Buchner and went to the portal for 2023. With that in mind, no way they go with Minchey or Angeli in 2024.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
When he hasn’t been hurt he hasn’t been good. Too many turnovers and poor passes. Maybe he will develop at Bama, he was not improving at ND with plenty of opportunities, getting meaningful snaps as both freshman and last year. Good luck to him. Personally think he should have gotten as far away from Rees as possible, that hasn’t worked well for him.

If Buchner was better than Hartman, he would have showed it in the spring game. The difference between the two was astounding. Also, Angeli outperformed Buchner in the spring game. If you're a dude, you don't let your alleged back up outperform you. Spring games matter to show coaches that you can perform in real time game situations. That's what they have to use to help assemble the best performing football squad.

As far as I'm concerned, Hartman was brought in to the program to increase the competition in the QB room, which I think most would agree was much needed. Nothing was given to him. It appeared from reports that there was equal opportunity between Hartman and Buchner to display their skills. Hartman won. Buchner didn't like that. Oh well. Good riddance. Let's start to develop Minchey.

Are the coaches supposed to bend to the ego of every highly touted high school prospect just to keep them on campus? Buchner thinks that he is better than he is. He is in for a rude awakening at Bama. He will light a fire under Simpson and Milroe, that is certain. But it will be a matter of time before he ends up transferring to a low tier Pac-12 where he will have a decent end to his college career.
They went to the portal after TB started 3 games, what makes you think they’ll be patient and ‘develop’ Minchey or Angeli rather than hitting the portal? At some point that philosophy will bite ya, and I think ND will feel it in 2024-2025.

Buchner mailed it in during the spring game....It is quite apparent he had already checked out and was on the clock until he made his exit official. Thats on him. Buchner had not earned the starting job. It was bestowed to him when Drew Pyne bailed. How long is Notre Dame expected to string along with marginal quarterbacks?

They had Pyne and Buchner and went to the portal for 2023. With that in mind, no way they go with Minchey or Angeli in 2024.
This is assuming Pyne and Buchner are talented. When I have watched them, I never saw anything special, I saw two QB's in way over their head that can't handle the speed of the college game to make consistent reads and find open receivers. Key word is consistency.

This is also assuming Minchey can't develop within the next year under the system. Freshman and sophomores have started in college before. Golson as a red shirt freshman with no meaningful playing experience took ND to the championship in 2012. Why was he able to do it? Why won't Minchey be able to do it?

I think TB had TR in his ear …he looked like he gave up in the spring game. His interview was half hearted.

Reactions: BGI User 756
2024 wasn’t going to be Buchner. He left because he wasn’t good enough to start. Plain and simple. He won’t be good enough at Alabama either.

Buchner mailed it in during the spring game....It is quite apparent he had already checked out and was on the clock until he made his exit official. Thats on him. Buchner had not earned the starting job. It was bestowed to him when Drew Pyne bailed. How long is Notre Dame expected to string along with marginal quarterbacks?
Nick Saban does not view Tyler Buchner as "...marginal..."

Nick Saban sees a way to light a fire under the ass of Milroe and Simpson.
Well, you clearly have a tremendous amount of confidence in your own ability to gage football talent, and very little confidence in the ability of T Rees and B Kelly, both coaching at the highest level of CFB, to do the same. And, very little confidence in T Buchner. Maybe you're right, you might be a autistic genius from your couch with the ability to read the mind of Nick Saban.

Maybe all that is true...

But color me skeptic.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Not necessarily. It depends on their development. I think they're both better pure passers than Buchner. And they both have better size and arm strength than Pyne.

I don’t think we have a clue what Saban is thinking. Perhaps he is supporting Rees and adding to competition in the QB room where he is not happy with his two QBs to date. Perhaps Rees sold him on Buchner being a difference maker as a situational roll player. Perhaps he sees all the potential we saw two years ago, and believes Buchner Can reach his potential at Alabama Surrounded by elite talent. I don’t care about any team except ND, and so I don’t care if Kelly wins at LSU or Buchner is a star at Alabama. I just want Hartman to kill it at ND this year. Go ☘️

Well, you clearly have a tremendous amount of confidence in your own ability to gage football talent, and very little confidence in the ability of T Rees and B Kelly, both coaching at the highest level of CFB, to do the same. And, very little confidence in T Buchner. Maybe you're right, you might be a autistic genius from your couch with the ability to read the mind of Nick Saban.

Maybe all that is true...

But color me skeptic.
You must be one of the posters still watching Buchner's junior year high school highlight film on repeat.

They are in much better shape going forward than they were going into 23 will just TB.

The portal and NIL have changed the game! I for one, dislike what the portal has done to the game, but on the other hand, if Notre Dame chooses not to use or take advantage of transfer opportunities we will be left behind.

I am not one to provide negative criticism of our players, but I have to speak to the Drew Pyne and Tyler Buchner comments. They chose Notre Dame out of High School and no matter which was the quarterback, I wanted to see the Notre Dame football team find success. Yes, I am a diehard Domer no matter the circumstance.

Now lets speak to performance on the field and the transfer portal. Pyne as the quarterback was not very good. Notre Dame won despite not having a difference making quarterback. Pyne was lacking, if truth be told. Pyne transferred and I wish him the best of luck.

As it relates to Buchner, he is an excellent athlete and a runner of the football. His passing skills, I believe could be better, but his decision making was at issue. With that said, he doesn't present that threat that makes you confident against a high caliber (top ten) opponent can get the job done with 2:00 minutes left with the game is on the line. I like the kid, but being at Notre Dame for three years, he should it seems have shown more progress. I wish him well at his next stop.

I rewatched every game from this past season and saw on countless occasions where our receivers were open, and Pyne failed to get them the ball. If you have played football, that leads to frustration and a lack of confidence in the QB to put the football where it needs to be.

I can only speak for myself, but I want to see Notre Dame win another championship in my lifetime. Coach Holtz shifted the paradigm against the odds. Watching the women basketball team win the National Championship a few years back was a very proud moment. It is just a phenomenal feeling. Yep, I am a Notre Dame diehard and yes, I am optimistic that we will be alright. Go Irish!!!

The portal and NIL have changed the game! I for one, dislike what the portal has done to the game, but on the other hand, if Notre Dame chooses not to use or take advantage of transfer opportunities we will be left behind.

I am not one to provide negative criticism of our players, but I have to speak to the Drew Pyne and Tyler Buchner comments. They chose Notre Dame out of High School and no matter which was the quarterback, I wanted to see the Notre Dame football team find success. Yes, I am a diehard Domer no matter the circumstance.

Now lets speak to performance on the field and the transfer portal. Pyne as the quarterback was not very good. Notre Dame won despite not having a difference making quarterback. Pyne was lacking, if truth be told. Pyne transferred and I wish him the best of luck.

As it relates to Buchner, he is an excellent athlete and a runner of the football. His passing skills, I believe could be better, but his decision making was at issue. With that said, he doesn't present that threat that makes you confident against a high caliber (top ten) opponent can get the job done with 2:00 minutes left with the game is on the line. I like the kid, but being at Notre Dame for three years, he should it seems have shown more progress. I wish him well at his next stop.

I rewatched every game from this past season and saw on countless occasions where our receivers were open, and Pyne failed to get them the ball. If you have played football, that leads to frustration and a lack of confidence in the QB to put the football where it needs to be.

I can only speak for myself, but I want to see Notre Dame win another championship in my lifetime. Coach Holtz shifted the paradigm against the odds. Watching the women basketball team win the National Championship a few years back was a very proud moment. It is just a phenomenal feeling. Yep, I am a Notre Dame diehard and yes, I am optimistic that we will be alright. Go Irish!!!
I agree the portal is going to be tricky for ND because of the nature of our admissions process. I see us losing about five players to every one we can pick up just because everybody who gains admission, as a new student or transfer, has to meet certain standards, even with the extra wide berth given to star athletes.

I remember watching Pyne play against Wisconsin in 2021 and thinking the kid had real moxie. Over a larger sample size, his limitations became evident. But I rooted for him nonetheless. I don't remember if he transferred before it was announced that Hartman was coming in, but that development drew the curtain on his time here.

I was surprised Buchner bailed so easily, but patience is no longer a virtue. Makes me long for the days when you could look down the bench and see a guy like Coley O'Brien waiting to be given a shot. (For you younger guys, that same Coley O'Brien who played against Michigan State and helped us win a NC with a rout of USC in 1966 ended his career at Notre Dame in 1968 as a halfback.) I agree with your take on Buchner, though. Lots of fans were super high on him, but I never saw what they saw.

Maybe, as some are saying, he will blossom under Rees and with Alabama's talent. I don't have a crystal ball, so I'll just wait to watch this season.

I agree, making reads and decisions is what both Buchner and Pyne lack, and last year was one of the most frustrating seasons of watching ND football I can recall in a long time. The fact they went 9-4 is a testament to how well the other positions were playing.

In all honesty, there haven't been many quarterbacks in the Kelly era that have shined in this area. Maybe Rees was the best decision maker, he just lacked athleticism all around.

In my opinion, Buchner and Pyne were almost equals in regards to quarterbacking, Buchner could just run with the ball slightly better.

I agree the portal is going to be tricky for ND because of the nature of our admissions process. I see us losing about five players to every one we can pick up just because everybody who gains admission, as a new student or transfer, has to meet certain standards, even with the extra wide berth given to star athletes.

I remember watching Pyne play against Wisconsin in 2021 and thinking the kid had real moxie. Over a larger sample size, his limitations became evident. But I rooted for him nonetheless. I don't remember if he transferred before it was announced that Hartman was coming in, but that development drew the curtain on his time here.

I was surprised Buchner bailed so easily, but patience is no longer a virtue. Makes me long for the days when you could look down the bench and see a guy like Coley O'Brien waiting to be given a shot. (For you younger guys, that same Coley O'Brien who played against Michigan State and helped us win a NC with a rout of USC in 1966 ended his career at Notre Dame in 1968 as a halfback.) I agree with your take on Buchner, though. Lots of fans were super high on him, but I never saw what they saw.

Maybe, as some are saying, he will blossom under Rees and with Alabama's talent. I don't have a crystal ball, so I'll just wait to watch this season.

Excellent post. I am in total agreement with pretty much everything you say.

I agree, making reads and decisions is what both Buchner and Pyne lack, and last year was one of the most frustrating seasons of watching ND football I can recall in a long time. The fact they went 9-4 is a testament to how well the other positions were playing.

In all honesty, there haven't been many quarterbacks in the Kelly era that have shined in this area. Maybe Rees was the best decision maker, he just lacked athleticism all around.

In my opinion, Buchner and Pyne were almost equals in regards to quarterbacking, Buchner could just run with the ball slightly better.
Under Kelly, it seemed that every time a quarterback checked off and went to a secondary receiver (independent thinking) Kelly was waiting on the sidelines for him with that pouting look on his face...ready to dress him down. That was one thing I think all ND quarterbacks had in common....Kelly's micromanagement.

Just like in recruiting, the admission standards will always put ND in a deficit position with the football factories.

Just the way it is and frankly I never want ND to resemble a football factory despite what some so called fans here claim they want.

I think Kelly did a lot to restore ND in many ways but the guy had his limitations. Winning big games and the overall QB situation.

MF seems to be a lot more flexible there; and hopefully our new OC is also as well since in this day when players can transfer like on a city bus.

I think NOW that all coaches must not only recruit but work the transfer portal as well. I do not like it but that is reality.

Sample Size - VaTech Bad (pick 6) - Ohio - Mediocre. Marshall - BAAAAAAAD! (pick 6) South Carolina - Decent (5 Tds but 2 pick 6 ) Spring Game - Bad .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT