ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner Injury

I would hope they turn it over to Angeli. Try and get bowl eligible. I really seriously doubt this team makes bowl eligibility regardless, so let the young kids get experience. Have to show recruits we showed growth through the season. Any level of improvement and culture shift is a positive. I have 0 faith in MF after this and I think he will fail, but I have no choice but to hope he can at least win 6 games.

So is he out or is he not? Anybody know anything solid?

I will say, as far as Steve Angeli goes, I would seriously consider starting him over Drew Pyne. If TB really was out for several weeks, Pyne would presumably get the call. And if he's really poor, which is not too hard to foresee, then replace him with Angeli, or at least experiment with it.

And this is not about developing young players at all. It's about not going 0-6 to start the season...

Reactions: rgc7 and 4-4-3
I would hope they turn it over to Angeli. Try and get bowl eligible. I really seriously doubt this team makes bowl eligibility regardless, so let the young kids get experience. Have to show recruits we showed growth through the season. Any level of improvement and culture shift is a positive. I have 0 faith in MF after this and I think he will fail, but I have no chalice but to hope he can at least win 6 games.
I agree. Why not Angelo, let’s see what he’s got. Can be any worse.

Reactions: rgc7 and Airzee23
I’d personally make Al Golden interim if Freeman loses the next two games to start 0-5.

Reactions: rgc7
One thing about Pyne, he's probably a more polished passer, and more consistent than Buchner. Which I realize isn't saying all that much, but if he gets a chance to play a whole game maybe he could surprise. Buchner is still rather raw, and a work in progress with way more upside but who will be erratic, and maybe the offense would actually be better off, at least when it comes to trying to simply scrape together a bare-bones win, with Pyne instead.

We just want to move the ball and get some first downs. And for that maybe Pyne's actually a better option. You know, with a whole week of practice, and all the confidence and assorted benefits that come with that....

One thing about Pyne, he's probably a more polished passer, and more consistent than Buchner. Which I realize isn't saying all that much, but if he gets a chance to play a whole game maybe he could surprise. Buchner is still rather raw, and a work in progress with way more upside but who will be erratic, and maybe the offense would actually be better off, at least when it comes to trying to simply scrape together a bare-bones win, with Pyne instead.

We just want to move the ball and get some first downs. And for that maybe Pyne's actually a better option. You know, with a whole week of practice, and all the confidence and assorted benefits that come with that....
True, Pyne hit that Marshall player right in the numbers.

When the game was over and Marshall backed off milking clock.
Last year, he had 2 TD passes in 2 halves against Wisconsin and Cincy.

I think he's actually a better passer than Buchner at this point. But Buchner's obviously a better runner, and won the job due to having a perceived higher upside.

Pyne did play fairly well last year against Cincy and Wisconsin.
I think he was like 40% on his passing vs Cincy. He got the whole 2nd half....

So it really wasn't an inspired performance. Unfortunately it seems like his ability has deteriorated even since then, because he did have some zip on his throws in that game if I recall. That may have been BK's worst, stupidest blunder of a year ago. I didn't understand it in the moment, and he really did us a disservice in benching Jack Coan, who wasn't playing that poorly IMO, but we were down 17-0...

Last year, he had 2 TD passes in 2 halves against Wisconsin and Cincy.

I think he's actually a better passer than Buchner at this point. But Buchner's obviously a better runner, and won the job due to having a perceived higher upside.
You're serious, then.... You want to go with Drew Pyne! Well, it'd be a good way to get MF and Rees our of here sooner. I don't think ND's ever gone winless before. But you start Drew Pyne for the rest of this season, and you just might be tempting fate. At least with the way the rest of the offense has looked as a whole, which has been a pretty good facsimile thus far of the truly hapless 2007 iteration.

Then again, of course it could be different if Pyne is getting the start, and thus has a starter's practice reps, a starter's confidence, etc. Maybe some tweaks to the basic game plan that would be more conducive to getting first downs in a more practicable fashion. In which case we'd probably squeeze out a few wins. I'm actually warming up to the idea, assuming Buchner's going to be out for a while.....

I think he was like 40% on his passing vs Cincy. He got the whole 2nd half....

So it really wasn't an inspired performance. Unfortunately it seems like his ability has deteriorated even since then, because he did have some zip on his throws in that game if I recall. That may have been BK's worst, stupidest blunder of a year ago. I didn't understand it in the moment, and he really did us a disservice in benching Jack Coan, who wasn't playing that poorly IMO, but we were down 17-0...
The fact is, Coan got shut out in the 1st half and Pyne led us to 2 TDs in the 2nd. That's the bottom line.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
The fact is, Coan got shut out in the 1st half and Pyne led us to 2 TDs in the 2nd. That's the bottom line.
So you're not really serious, then. You're just going to say some shit that makes you feel good, and then call it 'the bottom line'

I must say, It'd be nice sometimes if we had a higher clientele of posters...

So you're not really serious, then. You're just going to say some shit that makes you feel good, and then call it 'the bottom line'

I must say, It'd be nice sometimes if we had a higher clientele of posters...
The goal is for the offense to score points. Coan was lousy in the face of a tough pass rush, which we had against Cincinnati. He took too many sacks. Pyne at least had some escapability in the pocket and was able to make a few plays against them. And scoring 2 TDs in a half against Cincinnati's defense was actually pretty good. They had a really good defense last year.

The goal is for the offense to score points. Coan was lousy in the face of a tough pass rush, which we had against Cincinnati. He took too many sacks. Pyne at least had some escapability in the pocket and was able to make a few plays against them. And scoring 2 TDs in a half against Cincinnati's defense was actually pretty good. They had a really good defense last year.
If it makes you feel any better I just watched his YouTube highlights vs Cincy, and he made some lovely throws. So of course he has proven, at least in fits and starts, that he can make impressive throws at this level, in this environment, even though he's about three inches smaller than you want him to be for the type of player he is. So assuming Buchner is out of commission, which I'm expecting to be the case, I'n going to get on the Pyne Train. And just take it one week at a time.

Pyne really has underwhelmed from the little we've been able to glean of his development since that Cincy game. But maybe he could be the savior of this season. It's probably going to be a rough ride in any event, but if he does get the call, and he might even get the nod even if Buchner isn't injured, but the offense is still floundering badly and we're not winning.... then maybe Drew Pyne could be this season's big story, which would be totally cool, as I don't have anything against Pyne whatsoever and would love to see him have some success......

Reactions: mbd11
Defenses are playing us the same as the past several years. No one respects or fears our long passing game, and so they stack The box to stop our running, and they jump the short routes without fear of getting burned. Lenzy was wide open when their corner bit on a small move, and Buchner couldn’t make them pay. That pass is completed by the vast majority of college QBs….not just the top tier.

Reactions: theskibro
Here are the Cincy highlights from a year ago, just in case anyone wants to see Drew Pyne make some nice throws....

Even if we were 2-0, Buchner was getting hurt. He’s very injury prone. A portal kid was common sense.

JT Daniels wanted to come to ND. Freeman said nah, I like the kids we have. Sick to think about.

Politics come into play now. ND is better off going 0-12. The media are going torch ND as racist if Freeman ever gets canned.
The media can cry Racism all they want. Notre Dame has nothing Racist about it in any way, shape, or form ! Players , coaches, administrators,
etc are judged strictly on performance ! Everyone was rooting for Freeman to succeed ! Based upon
what we have seen so far, Freeman just was not ready for a head coaching position !

The media can cry Racism all they want. Notre Dame has nothing Racist about it in any way, shape, or form ! Players , coaches, administrators,
etc are judged strictly on performance ! Everyone was rooting for Freeman to succeed ! Based upon
what we have seen so far, Freeman just was not ready for a head coaching position !
It's the world we live in. You have to tread lightly if ND. We have to hope he turns it around in a big way. Winning 4-5 games will be looked at as doing better than some others that got "more time". Despite this being subjective (most talented team ND has had in a long time), it won't be judged that way if fired. It will be judged as if he was rebuilding a horrible 2-10 program from last season. While there is no chance LSU or Bama would stand for such a poor performance, ND put themselves in this position and now they have reap what they sow.

Back to basics. Fix the run game, get oline to maul whoever is in front of them. Add in a few passes here and there but just work on the run game. Than we can do some play action.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT