ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Van Gorder and Brian Kelly?

SchmidtyNole

I've posted how many times?
Feb 19, 2007
How do you guys see it shaking out with Brian Kelly at the season's end. Obviously he got rid of Van Gorder but do you guys think Kelly is on the hot seat or do you think him getting rid of BVG will buy him some time? Just curious how you guys think your administration views the future of Kelly's tenure?

He is not on the hot seat no matter what the wishful thinking is around here. It's not like great qualified college HCs grow on trees and are just waiting by the telephony, waiting for ND to call.

Reactions: Ara64
unless something drastic happens. Kelly will be gone too.
he knows the limitations that the admin puts on the program... think he will move on.

Kelly lost these players... from what happened on and off the field.
time for some major changes... fresh new start...

He is not on the hot seat no matter what the wishful thinking is around here. It's not like great qualified college HCs grow on trees and are just waiting by the telephony, waiting for ND to call.
I do agree coach Kelly's job is safe at this point but this season definitely demonstrated the wheels are loose on the wagon

he will repeat the year in 2017; then

Well pers, I can't predict the future but I am more than sure that Jack will give BK every benefit of the doubt and every chance to succeed. So, as of right now, he is not on the hot seat.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

Agree

The only way Kelly would be on the hot seat is if he had multiple dismal (maybe 6-6 type) seasons.

Kelly is Swarbrick's hire - Kelly would have to have repeated Tye-type or Charlie-type seasons before feeling the heat.

Perspective: IMHO, the hiring of Swarbrick (a lawyer with apparently no previous sports management experience) as AD should be more closely scrutinized - and who ever is responsible for his hiring should also be scrutinized.

Kelly is coming off of a 10-3 season. Unless the wheels fall completely off the wagon, he will be back next year if he chooses to do so. Let's see how the season plays out before we hire a new head coach. This week's game may be an indicator as to how the season unfolds from here.

Kelly is coming off of a 10-3 season. Unless the wheels fall completely off the wagon, he will be back next year if he chooses to do so. Let's see how the season plays out before we hire a new head coach. This week's game may be an indicator as to how the season unfolds from here.
There's not one person on this board who truly believes coach Kelly is not going to be the head coach next year

He has to win games starting this week. If we lose to Cuse ,Army, NC State teams we should be beating...he isn't safe. I don't think he's automatically given a pass because BVG is gone, JS probably forced his hand. BK shoulda done it in the off season or right after after Texas at the very least. He didn't and got put on blast. Donors I'm sure were lighting up the phones to JS....

BVG was a sacraficial lamb. He had to be thrown to the wolves to appease the powers that be. Shit rolls down hill. One thing is certain tho. There are no other lambs left. All eyes turn to Brian Kelly now. There is no one else left to sacrifice. Kelly is next.

Kelly had nothing to do with the firing of BVG. That came from upstairs. Not sure what Kelly was told, but would guess he is nervous. The next man in is Kelly. Stay tuned.

Would love for you to provide some proof or a link to your comment.

That's an interesting thought Legendsteve. I can see where one might think that given Kelly's comments after the game. You may know something I don't. Do you have any evidence it wasn't Kelly's decision?

Given Kellys refusal to address the situation after last season, his insistance on the wonderful job BVG was doing this season and his defence of him in the presser one would be very hard pressed to think Kelly had anything to do with his dismissal. I am not wired into ND but know a few who are. Kelly is next. No one else left to blame. Turn it around or else.

These are fans talking, Not Jack. Not Jenkins. Not the boosters. BK has plenty of wiggle room and the only scenario that gets BK jacked is a total collapse over the next 20 games. Jack S influence in the dismissal of BVG is an interesting theory. Anything is possible. A change was needed and probably more assistant heads will roll after USC.

Toby. Who is left to blame? While ND has an OC everyone knows Kellys hands are all over it and he has the final say. The offense is his baby. The whole team and staff is his responsibilty. You can only sacrifice so many people before you get to the guy in charge. I do believe it will be made to look like a mutual decision, if it comes to that. But from what I have been told is many are very unhappy with the direction this is going. And the presser was not well received. But that is just what I hear. The same folks were spot on with Davie. Time will tell.

Wrong....swarbrick "check"......the next move is "mate".... great chance he doesn't make it to 2017....
That insufferable prick's classless words yesterday were the last thing the ptb wanted to hear.... although zona found comfort.....people who matter behind closed doors are deeply deeply offended....our kids deserve far better.... Notre Dame deserves better.....watch sissy boy now....he's been rightfully emasculated.....the bully has been belted in the mouth....

There's a lot of factors that go into deciding whether to retain or fire Kelly. History says he's capable of winning a lot of games,. However, he has yet to beat an elite opponent or get a major bowl win. Most recent example is 2015. He's taking accountability(finally) for the lack of production on defense by firing BVG, which means he's willing to make changes. His recruiting for the 2017 and 2018 classes are strong, although there is cause for concern for decommits. I suspect Kelly ends up with an 8-5 record and a meaningless bowl win. Looking at the history, present, and future, I suspect Swarbrick will be inclined to keep Kelly, especially since Kelly has that contract in place through 2021. The big question I have is, whether ND and the adminstration is seriously looking at other candidates and feeling them out at season's end. If they are, and they're convinced that the coach could do better than Kelly(that's the only reason you fire a coach and hire a new one) then you have to wonder what ND does. My gut tells me ND's adminstration won't do that though and will give Kelly another shot.

I think it appropriate to actually THANK BVG for his efforts at ND. He is very obviously a passionate coach and hard worker. It was just not a 'fit' at ND. College is quite different from the NFL and ND is quite different than most jobs.
Fans do not know what transpires in staff meetings and my best guess is you took 100% of the blame and became the sacrificial lamb for a failed group effort. Things had to change and changes have to happen for things to change. Your dismissal was 1st.

We know you tried, so thank you and best for you and your family going forward.

I think the key is whether or not the BVG firing came from Swarbrick or Kelly. IMO if it came from Swarbrick then things are looking up since he is calling the shots & not BK.

This football mediocrity comes from the top down -- whoever the Executive VP is that oversees athletics, the board of trustees, the AD Swarbrick, all need to look in the mirror. Real efforts need to be made to improving the football program through a collaborative approach with whoever the head coach is. It needs to be an important item for Jenkins as well IMO.

$22.1 million of the football team's profits is retained for academic use. The 10-year Under Armor contract is the most lucrative in the NCAA -- worth almost $100 million. It's time to realize that, as secular as this may sound, championship football is important to the University of Notre Dame. Those at the top need to square that with the academic mission of the school. It's been 22 years and they haven't done it yet.

You're a ##########

Wow. All this rage because I voice an opinion you don't like? You can be all over this board insulting anyone and everyone with childish unimaginative insults but that won't change the fact that BK will be the HC next season. Huff and puff. Stomp your feet. Throw yourself to the ground. It doesn't matter because BK will be the HC in 2017. No use getting mad at me because I'm not the one making the decision.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Wrong....swarbrick "check"......the next move is "mate".... great chance he (Kelly) doesn't make it to 2017.....

Weis had a 3-9 season in 2007 - when JS took over as AD to begin the 2008 season (and in spite of fans and media alike clamoring for change) he kept Charlie on as HC for 2 more seasons.......WHY? Because historically ND has never wanted to be known as a "football factory" (ND is 'above such things') - good, bad or otherwise, it is still the mantra today.

Reactions: perseverare
Weis had a 3-9 season in 2007 - when JS took over as AD to begin the 2008 season (and in spite of fans and media alike clamoring for change) he kept Charlie on as HC for 2 more seasons.......WHY? Because historically ND has never wanted to be known as a "football factory" (ND is 'above such things') - good, bad or otherwise, it is still the mantra today.

He was on a 5 year plan come hell or high water...

The lack of consistency, identity, poor high level performance, bombastic buffoonery.... has Mr Potato Head on the verge..... He's on the thinnest of ice...

PS I told folks here a while back that his embarrassing displays were a major problem and 1 more might do it... His post game PC was close....

well if ND losses to Miami, Stanford and USC then if nothing else Swarbrick would have to make some sort of public statement about the state of the program. He would not be able to hum the same tune!

Unless there is a player mutiny and we only win 2 or 3 games, Kelly is not going anywhere. If next season should also be vaery bad, then I can see Jack pulling the trigger.

well if ND losses to Miami, Stanford and USC then if nothing else Swarbrick would have to make some sort of public statement about the state of the program. He would not be able to hum the same tune!

That's not going to happen by Imagine something internally would be said

Kelly had nothing to do with the firing of BVG. That came from upstairs. Not sure what Kelly was told, but would guess he is nervous. The next man in is Kelly. Stay tuned.
There is no proof that Kelly was told to fire BVG - I believe that Duke broke the camels back so to speak . He tried to a fault to give BVG a chance to turn things around when it appeared he was losing control of the program he knew he had to act
ntrol

There is no proof that Kelly was told to fire BVG - I believe that Duke broke the camels back so to speak . He tried to a fault to give BVG a chance to turn things around when it appeared he was losing control of the program he knew he had to act
ntrol

you act as if the whole problem was BVG! are you that naive?
this is an entire staff failure. That includes the head coach: Head Coach!
The lamb led to slaughter was BVG. This staff is a weekly brain fart!

Reactions: cgvr
He was on a 5 year plan come hell or high water...

The lack of consistency, identity, poor high level performance, bombastic buffoonery.... has Mr Potato Head on the verge..... He's on the thinnest of ice...

PS I told folks here a while back that his embarrassing displays were a major problem and 1 more might do it... His post game PC was close....

If JS was on a 5 year plan why did he Fire Weis after his 3rd year asAD?

If the rumors that Swarbrick made the call to fire BVG and Kelly was against it then yea, his seat is on fire.

Jack is telling Kelly in no uncertain terms he doesn't trust his judgement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT