ADVERTISEMENT

Book will get drafted

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
What round?

Day 3 rounds 4-6

I am not saying he will make the pro bowl. However, he will work his way into a starting role before his career is over.

High IQ
Reads defenses well
Good speed (not great) but good
Good footwork

Cons
Lacks touch on the deep ball
Definitely needs a playmaker at WR/TE to help him

The young man is a competitor!
His hard work will impress the Vets

Last edited:
His numbers coming out of pro day were impressive, but he did falter on the deep passes. He won a lot of games at ND. I could care less about the NFL.
I agree with everything you said up to “I could careless about the NFL”. I definitely hope he succeeds and will be following him.

I love college football and watch it every weekend, or when there's a game on. I hope Ian much success and the others who play in the NFL. I just don't watch it anymore. Go Irish!!!

I hope so. I would be stoked for him. Though there is something to be said for not getting drafted, in like the 6th or 7th round, and then being able to choose the best possible situation as an UFA.

Reactions: Zorich 88
I hope so. I would be stoked for him. Though there is something to be said for not getting drafted, in like the 6th or 7th round, and then being able to choose the best possible situation as an UFA.
Very true. Just miss out on a decent signing bonus.

What round?

Day 3 rounds 4-6

I am not saying he will make the pro bowl. However, he will work his way into a starting role before his career is over.

High IQ
Reads defenses well
Good footwork

Cons

I doubt he will ever start outside of in injury relief. The deep ball issues are real. In a scripted pro day his wrs were having to near stop to make the balls catchable in most cases.

Round 6 is probably the earliest he goes. Arm strength and deep balls are one thing that simply won't improve drastically. He hurt himself with his throwing at pro day.

Reactions: Golson5
What round?

Day 3 rounds 4-6

High IQ
Reads defenses well
Good footwork

Cons

Lack of an accurate deep ball could be enough to kill him. It's the operatic HIGH C of quarterbacking. Separates the great from the serviceable. Plus, it's an NFL SUCCESS MUST. What good is a Will Fuller if the ball isn't JUST -- RIGHT -- THERE.

And we've already seen that this happened to Rick Mirer. Given the speed of the NFL game/pass rush, he couldn't do it. And from what I remember, he was better at it at ND than Book was.

If Book doesn't master a long ball, he could get his one or two year shot and be gone by year four.

At best, he has his work cut out for him.

What round?

Day 3 rounds 4-6

High IQ
Reads defenses well
Good footwork

Cons

If you were going to try to list his attributes you left off his biggest con - vision and finding open receiver. This will be his biggest problem. Not arm strength.

Reactions: GDFan
“At best, he has his work cut out for him.”

this is very remindful of “at best, he’s a backup”. More drivel from a know it all that doesn’t know that much.

Funny how some posters’ opinions have evolved from “he’ll never sniff getting drafted” to “he’ll never be a starter in the nfl”. They’ve tried the negativity thing over and over and over and then he keeps disproving them, but they keep doubling down on why he’s no good. They loathe a qb that was the winningest ever at our storied program that led us to two undefeated regular seasons and playoff berths. A strange bunch indeed, the BBC.

If you were going to try to list his attributes you left off his biggest con - vision and finding open receiver. This will be his biggest problem. Not arm strength.
Mayfield 6’0
Wilson 5’11
Murray 5’10
Brees 6’0

Vision is not an issue for these similar sized QBs. If you are referring to his lack of size.

You guy’s that are pointing out Book’s issues with the deep ball, I agree with you.

However, I also said a standout WR/TE will man me up for that. For example, Chase and Boykin helped that weakness.

Mayfield 6’0
Wilson 5’11
Murray 5’10
Brees 6’0

Vision is not an issue for these similar sized QBs. If you are referring to his lack of size.
No size is not the issue. I think Ian has all the skills except after 3-4 years as starter he still did not find open receivers. That is the issue

Way too timid in the passing game. Running game isn't as dominant as once was, so he is really handicapped. Undrafted or 7th round pick by someone desperate for a backup. College and pros are different beasts. While he was decent in college and below average against top tier teams, he would have to battle the best every Sunday. Not gonna happen.

I agree with everything you said up to “I could careless about the NFL”. I definitely hope he succeeds and will be following him.
I think the quote can be interpreted to mean we fans care about what the athlete does at Notre Dame. If Book makes the pros great if not. . . he did well for the Irish. We do not recruit players because the coaches think they will be great in the pros. That's on the athlete. If it works out great. If not... Who really cares.... It's nice when it does though.

Reactions: echowaker
Way too timid in the passing game. Running game isn't as dominant as once was, so he is really handicapped. Undrafted or 7th round pick by someone desperate for a backup. College and pros are different beasts. While he was decent in college and below average against top tier teams, he would have to battle the best every Sunday. Not gonna happen.

When NFL guys evaluate a guy as a # 3 QB for their roster they're looking at 3 factors.

1. If we have to put him out there can he finish a game for us ? Not win it because they don't expect that but can he go out there and not make the critical error which costs us a game.

2. Is he versatile enough to run our scout team well during the week given all the different types of offenses we will play against ?

3. Money. What is his cap hit to the roster ?

Book IMO checks all the boxes

Not a big mistake guy-----athletic enough that he can execute the various versions of the Spread------will play for NFL minimum.

When NFL guys evaluate a guy as a # 3 QB for their roster they're looking at 3 factors.

1. If we have to put him out there can he finish a game for us ? Not win it because they don't expect that but can he go out there and not make the critical error which costs us a game.

2. Is he versatile enough to run our scout team well during the week given all the different types of offenses we will play against ?

Not a big mistake guy-----athletic enough that he can execute the various versions of the Spread------will play for NFL minimum.
#3 qbs are practice players. Most teams only carry 2 on GameDays

Reactions: mirer03

I agree. I don't know exactly what goes into the thought process of why a team would or wouldn't want a particular #3 rookie QB on their roster, but I look at Ian Book as someone who would be highly appealing to an NFL coach or GM, mainly on the basis of what a thoroughly impressive QB he is in all respects, other than being a prolific passer.

Meaning, he's not a poor passer, and at the NFL level if not in college, you could describe him as a game manager, who does not make all the throws in a particularly effortless or aggressive manner. As we all know, he's more cautious, or certainly appears to be wired that way. and yet occasionally will make beautiful throws of NFL caliber, which speaks to his potential ability; but more often than not will be hesitant to make these more higher degree of difficulty throws; which cautiousness certainly served him and us well at ND, but nevertheless IMO is by no means a deal breaker, at least starting out as a 3rd-string, developmental, deep-backup type.

Now obviously if Book proves to be too limited, as a practical matter, over time, in what he's able to get done in the passing game at the NFL level, then teams will move on. But IMO Book's passing shortcomings are just not that poor, and are more than offset by his excellent traits in other respects. He's short, but he seems to be a very well-put together specimen, and at least on that level he's an easy match for Russell Wilson or Drew Brees. And we all know what a fine athlete he is in the pocket, as well as his character and professionalism and steadiness.

Bottom line if he can improve as a passer, whether it be more so improving his touch/accuracy, or improving his reads or a little of both, he can stick in the NFL IMO. And he doesn't have THAT far to go in terms of the improvement that will be required. So not only does he have career backup potential, he has intriguing developmental starter potential as well.

Reactions: francade
What round?

Day 3 rounds 4-6

High IQ
Reads defenses well
Good footwork

Cons

best fit - New England Pats...
6th-7th round...

Reactions: Zorich 88
“If I’m a GM I just don’t know why I’d draft him.”

Yeah, we’ve kinda figured that out.

I gotta stop making these long posts about Ian Book, I just keep repeating myself. But I love the guy, he'll always be aces in my book, and I am convinced he has what it takes to make it in the NFL. Though of course I'm about as biased as can be in his favor.

Still, if Russell Wilson can do it, Ian Book can do it. I'm calling a fifth round selection. That seems fair to me.

I gotta stop making these long posts about Ian Book, I just keep repeating myself. But I love the guy, he'll always be aces in my book, and I am convinced he has what it takes to make it in the NFL. Though of course I'm about as biased as can be in his favor.

Still, if Russell Wilson can do it, Ian Book can do it. I'm calling a fifth round selection. That seems fair to me.
Book isn't in the same ballpark as Russell Wilson. What are you taking about. If Russell Wilson can do it, Ian Book can do it. That is moronic

You have a man crush

Book isn't in the same ballpark as Russell Wilson. What are you taking about. If Russell Wilson can do it, Ian Book can do it. That is moronic

You have a man crush

And right on cue.... WTF did ND ever do anyway to deserve a no-good hater fan like you? I guess that's the trade off. We got Ian Book, and he's awesome and he got us to two playoffs and he's on his way to a respectable NFL career.

And on the flip side there's you, and all hater fans like you. Although you in particular are particularly excruciating to have to put up with.

And right on cue.... WTF did ND ever do anyway to deserve a no-good hater fan like you? I guess that's the trade off. We got Ian Book, and he's awesome and he got us to two playoffs and he's on his way to a respectable NFL career.

And on the flip side there's you, and all hater fans like you. Although you in particular are particularly excruciating to have to put up with.
he was the qb on two playoff teams yes, but he didn’t get Nd there.
Either way, that has nothing to do with draft stock. There’s 15-20 better qbs in the draft. No reason to draft him, pick him up as FA.

Well then why weren't 15 or 20 QB's invited to the Senior Bowl ahead of him ?

I'm not a child and a homer like you. I don't think every player we have should be drafted in the first round and have a great nfl career.

I'm a realistic fan. Ian Book isn't in Russell Wilson's class. Wilson is going to be a first ballot hall of famer. Ian Book will struggle to make a nfl roster.

You continue to act like a moron and a child though

I thought when you started crying again you said you were going to leave like you left the pay board. Why haven't you left yet?

I’ve never considered Book NFL material. His lack of a long game and hesitancy to pull the trigger until his target receiver has separation, and his tendency to lock onto a receiver and not see the whole field, are tendencies that just don’t translate well to the NFL. That said, his game management, escapability, accuracy on short and mid range throws, and paucity of turnovers are all major pluses for a back up QB...one who can come in and not lose the game. But I think NFL general managers want a backup QB who can also win games, and I don’t think Book‘s game rises to this level. I hope to be proven wrong.
Since his first start at ND, felt that Book’s game is ideally suited for the a Canadian Football League. It’s questionable whether this league will survive Covid, but if it does, I can see Book following the footsteps of the likes of Flutie and Warren Moon, both of whom played there for six plus years before making it to the NFL.
Regardless, the young man was a big time winner at ND, gave us 100% on and off the field, and I wish him great success in whatever path, football or no football, the future holds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT