ADVERTISEMENT

BK post pressure….

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Anyone see him blowing up? Pounding his fist on the table?

Man I do NOT miss that clown. This is year 3 for a coach with 30 years of experience and he is still saying he has to coach better while he blames it on all the people around him.

How about just owning it.

I am tired of hearing coaches say “i/we need to coach better” - that is today’s euphemism for “my team played crappy but i can’t just say that.” Most coaches are probably narcissists so they cant take any blame so they say this nothingburger to cover it up.

Isn't saying he has to coach better is owning it? Just curious

It was vintage BK stuff. Lay blame on the players and but then say I need to coach better.

I went on an LSU board (Tigerdroppings) to see reactions to the LSU/USC game. Many of the comments about Kelly's coaching sounded pretty familiar.

Kelly did say USC's QB outplayed LSU's QB . If that's not throwing your player under the bus, don't know what is.
I missed that. I don’t think that should ever be said. The QB’s aren’t playing directly against one another. Talk about their QB making plays and yours. Then talk about how we came up short and needed to make a few more plays/adjustments or it was a bad break getting the penalty.

He can’t though.

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
It was vintage BK stuff. Lay blame on the players and but then say I need to coach better.

I went on an LSU board (Tigerdroppings) to see reactions to the LSU/USC game. Many of the comments about Kelly's coaching sounded pretty familiar.
Followed suit and read some of the posts on Tigerdroppings. Lots of criticism of Kelly for recruiting talent without regard to character, and allowing unacceptable on field behavior like mimicking shooting a shotgun at USC payers after a score, etc…. Pretty surprising comments. But to your point, many posts about good program coach, poor game coach, can’t win the big games, players not prepared, Notre Dame warned us, etc….

Followed suit and read some of the posts on Tigerdroppings. Lots of criticism of Kelly for recruiting talent without regard to character, and allowing unacceptable on field behavior like mimicking shooting a shotgun at USC payers after a score, etc…. Pretty surprising comments. But to your point, many posts about good program coach, poor game coach, can’t win the big games, players not prepared, Notre Dame warned us, etc….
When I saw him on the TV last night just before the game for the first time in months my reaction was man this guy is getting old. I think he's too burnt out to care about the little things (which are really big things) but so badly wants to win a title and is slowly coming to a realization it won't happen.

Had the same reaction when I saw him, bags under eyes and old man meatless shoulders, etc… but then he looked energized and engaging with Riley, and sounded perfectly content and pleased with his team in the pregame sideline interview. I don’t sense that he thinks a NC is out of reach at all.

I thought it was a good analysis of the game. AVOIDABLE Penalties that put USC into scoring opportunities……We had similar problems SATURDAY but luckily it did not cost us the game. Kelly also avoids EYE CONTACT with his press for most of the 8.5 minute conf. Very unappealing presentation. I had a ROLLER COASTER attitude toward KELLY at NOTRE DAME. Hated his attitude after 2012 BCS LOSS. Loved him in 2020 win over CLEMSON, and then we get a total beat down by Clemson in ACC Title game and Non competitive loss in FINAL FOUR. Needless to say I’m glad he’s not the NOTRE DAME coach. FREEMAN is such a better representative of OUR UNIVERSITY.

bk is a complete D-bag. Always has been. From leaving his undefeated Cincy team to the countless throwing his players under the bus at ND, never accounting for his failures. Never won a big game at ND, the guy fricking sucks. I love it, when are the Cajuns gonna fire his ass? IT won't be long.

I agree. I don’t think he is blaming players at all. Maybe blaming his coaching staff but he is taking responsibility. Don’t get me wrong. I can’t stand Kelly.

Reactions: Cuffs408
Would be if he didn’t add that he saw people on the sideline acting like the game was over and he is going to have to make changes. Sneaky way of saying “it’s not my fault”

Reactions: hoopsstar12

I thought this comment by one of the posters on Tigerdroppings was quite interesting:

"However, [Kelly] once again overestimates the intelligence of his next class. These kids are talented but intellectually challenged. For the most part they were coached by Louisiana coaches in Louisiana schools. They would not be college students if not for football. They are different from the students at Notre Dame, where actual college students are playing football.

Game plan like they are junior high students, like Les and O did. Otherwise you won't win a championship with these guys.”

Perhaps Kelly is finding that shopping down a different aisle isn't always a good thing. You can build a pretty good football team with smart, high football IQ guys like Drue Tranquill. I like that Freeman seems to be looking for players who are good fits both for the team culture and the university. Of course, he cannot simply take anyone in the door that he wants, so finding kids that are good fits with the program is critical.

I thought this comment by one of the posters on Tigerdroppings was quite interesting:

"However, [Kelly] once again overestimates the intelligence of his next class. These kids are talented but intellectually challenged. For the most part they were coached by Louisiana coaches in Louisiana schools. They would not be college students if not for football. They are different from the students at Notre Dame, where actual college students are playing football.

Game plan like they are junior high students, like Les and O did. Otherwise you won't win a championship with these guys.”

Perhaps Kelly is finding that shopping down a different aisle isn't always a good thing. You can build a pretty good football team with smart, high football IQ guys like Drue Tranquill. I like that Freeman seems to be looking for players who are good fits both for the team culture and the university. Of course, he cannot simply take anyone in the door that he wants, so finding kids that are good fits with the program is critical.
Drinking…were you as surprised as I was when reading many of their posts? Not surprised by the criticisms of his team not being ready, etc…. But very surprised regarding the character and intelligence and immaturity of his players, and his lack of enforcing discipline, etc…

He’s gone, he’s in the review mirror, time to move on to more important issues

Drinking…were you as surprised as I was when reading many of their posts? Not surprised by the criticisms of his team not being ready, etc…. But very surprised regarding the character and intelligence and immaturity of his players, and his lack of enforcing discipline, etc…
Yeah, I was. The shine has worn off the apple, that's for sure.

I'm beyond happy Kelly is gone and is someone elses problem now. I don't think he's a terrible coach, in the sense that he is a good "football mind". But he left a job with a lot of very intelligent kids, to go to LSU where... well I'll just leave it at that. Lets just say he didn't have to coach up the ND kids on some things that he will absolutely need to babysit them at LSU. Case in point, the terrible look by his wide reciver flashing gun signs, etc after a touchdown... Thats the class of kid he's dealing with now and he doesn't know how to handle them.

Fantastic post

He’s gone, he’s in the review mirror, time to move on to more important issues
Pat, the truth is ND only plays once a week, and our program will be indirectly impacted by Kelly's success or failure. He said he is leaving so he can recruit move talented kids. LSU results, and their role in the debate about whether the ND Way can succeed, remain of interest to many of us.

bk is a complete D-bag. Always has been. From leaving his undefeated Cincy team to the countless throwing his players under the bus at ND, never accounting for his failures. Never won a big game at ND, the guy fricking sucks. I love it, when are the Cajuns gonna fire his ass? IT won't be long.
I think he did a really good job acknowledging his failures after 2016. Albeit with a push from the Admin.

I actually think BK took responsibility and genuinely emoted about his own shortcomings. He basically admitted he can't get it done in the big one, just like we saw at ND. And at LSU he has even more means...hence maybe the deepest soul searching.

BK knows how to organize a football team. Ok but not great Xs and Os and play calling. But he can work with coaches on that stuff. He'd do ok in the NFL in my opinion...but college kids are different.

His main college coaching gap is motivating players. He can't inspire. All too often not only does he lose in big games, but loses big. We saw that so often with ND. And it wasn't just losing to Alabama, but losing big to Miami a few years ago.

Combine this with forcing a certain style and suspect game day calls. He is what he is. Time will tell if he can correct it.

My bet would say no. But you never know. I just think too little too late to change so profoundly as his age.

And yes, as we keep discussing, this is the major edge Marcus Freeman has over him. The players love him. And he knows his limitations and adjusts...just look at the coordinators on both sides of the ball right now. Playing optimally to ND strengths.

Reactions: BGI User 756
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT