ADVERTISEMENT

Are fans in agreement that LB play has been bad this year

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
I have seen some posts about how poorly the LBs have played this year. Is this the consensus of fans? I haven’t really been watching the LBs other than the defense does give up a 50+ yard run every game

Yes, I would say so. It's entirely possible that the fans, as such, are in agreement for the most part on this point.

Whether or not there's much truth to it is another question entirely....

The defense has been pretty good this year. Good enough to win every game including vs tOSU.

The LBs are slow and wait for the play to come to them(hello Luifau). LB's shouldn't be making tackles after 5-7 yard gains, however this has become the norm. Why Kollie isn't playing more is beyond me.

Reactions: 88ND and mmca
Bertrand actually has good straight line speed - notice he ran down that little RB on the long run Saturday. And he's smart as far as calling the signals. The problem with him is he gets juked very easily. Whenever he tries to tackle somebody in the open field, they usually juke him out and run past him.

But I thought Kollie made a few nice plays the last few games. He looks like he has a lot of potential.

Ya our starting upperclassmen linebackers are very slow and unathletic. Hopefully the young guys can come on a bit by seasons end

Would Freeman consider moving on from Al Golden, even though he's done nothing to really lose the job? Just kind of lackluster and low energy. I think our D has been solid and has kept us in every game. It's clearly the better of the two squads, but it seems to lack that domination factor that it had under Leah and Elko.

Would Freeman consider moving on from Al Golden, even though he's done nothing to really lose the job? Just kind of lackluster and low energy. I think our D has been solid and has kept us in every game. It's clearly the better of the two squads, but it seems to lack that domination factor that it had under Leah and Elko.
I doubt it. Golden would have to be egregiously bad to be fired after 1 year. He likely gets a second chance.

I was expecting the LB play to be excelent, and its been average to poor at best. Neither Marist or JD shed blockers and fill holes to meet the rb at los. Kiser seems to be most productive based on the eyeball test.

I have seen some posts about how poorly the LBs have played this year. Is this the consensus of fans? I haven’t really been watching the LBs other than the defense does give up a 50+ yard run every game
If the LBs were so bad, the Scoring Defense would be much worse than ranked #35 in FBS. They would have selected to be targeted constantly.

This is a just silly supposition.

We don't have that sideline-to-sideline type like Jaylon, or that pop-the-RB and drop them immediately upon arrival type like Teo and Nyles. I thought Jordan B might bring something to the table but he is nowhere to be found. We need a few top 50 recruits sprinkled throughout to take the next step on D and O. That's what MF was hired to do.

Wow..... You never cease to amaze! You should run for office

The LBs are slow and wait for the play to come to them(hello Luifau). LB's shouldn't be making tackles after 5-7 yard gains, however this has become the norm. Why Kollie isn't playing more is beyond me.
Marist is a coward

Bertrand actually has good straight line speed - notice he ran down that little RB on the long run Saturday. And he's smart as far as calling the signals.
Lmao he's terrible, easily the worst linebacker on the roster.

Our defense is tenfold worse when he's on the field.

Lmao he's terrible, easily the worst linebacker on the roster.

Our defense is tenfold worse when he's on the field.
I thought he looked like theteam leader out there, making plays calling plays : probably honorable mention AA.

Bertrand has played consistent, seems to hit his gap fits and does what he can. The talent level he is, he seems to play to it and leads the team. The nearest LB in tackles to him has had 30% less. He also missed a game or that lead would be at 50%. He seems to be a very solid CFB LB. He is not going to shadow a top running QB but he can play the middle.

Kizer is next, kind of a tweener. 2nd in the team on tackles. Plays hard. Also a solid CFB LB.

Liufau has been a problem. He misses lots of tackles, his form is bad, he misses his gap reads. He has the same number of tackles basically as Howard Cross, Houston and Foskey. Thats pathetic as a LB.

An LB should see 6+ every game and against a running team in the 10's. He had 2 tackles against Cal and BYU. 4 against Stanford. He had zero solo tackles in those games. He is athletic, fast and fairly long. By far the best athlete in the LB core but not an asset.

He has played very poorly all year. UNLV was his best, maybe he is just now picking up the game coming off the injury.

Bouer had a very poor year for some reason even before he was hurt. Braden Lenzy has almost as many solo tackles and Bo.

Getting Sneed, Junior and Prince on the field needs to be a priority this year, not next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT