ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance the new AD will understand this simple principle?

I haven't had a chance yet to read the replies and get involved in the discussion but I wanted to reply to this quickly because I saw this

I think Notre Dame was at one point by far the biggest spenders in terms of recruiting for a lot of the reasons you listed here but in the last decade alone a lot of programs have invested a ton of money into recruiting and I don't think anything's been published since in regards to where Notre Dame ranks but from reading other media reports about other colleges and from hearing things through the grapevine over the years it's easy to come to a conclusion that Notre Dame hasn't kept up.

You got schools now dropping half a million dollars on one recruit visit you got schools now with their own recruiting departments and facilities with hundreds of members of staff and students volunteering and working full time

You got schools now giving away 7 plus figure NL signing bonuses the last report I saw on Notre Dame's recruiting spending had Notre Dame ranked at the top with like a $2 million budget total this was back during the Charlie Weis era

You have schools like Clemson breaking records in terms of salary for their assistant coaches and starting the trend you see today with hi six figure and seven figure coach pay

I think Georgia has like a dozen or so staff members making millions of dollars in salary to focus on recruiting alone

Is any of this going on at Notre dame right now?

Nobody would know because the media does a really mediocre job holding the university athletic department accountable for anything -- all it is is rainbow and pony puff pieces but I digress

I don't think we hear anything about any Notre Dame initiatives in this regard because nothing is really being done in this regard at ND. No progress is being made. Notre Dame is still trying to pull the industry back to where players had no power and coaches and ADs had all the power but that day is over and I really think it's starting to show up in all of the very average classes Notre Dame has been recruiting

A top 25 top 50 top 100 type are repulsed by us for some reason and it shows in the yearly class rankings

Also I'm on voice transcription so I apologize for poor grammar
Doesn’t the NCAA prohibit spending money on “recruits” ?

Would you cite the schools “giving away 7 plus figure signing bonuses”

The University of Georgia is a public institution which has to disclose employee compensation, so please produce the list of the “dozen or so staff members making millions of dollars in salary to focus on recruiting alone.”

STOP making false statements !

STOP just making things up !

It destroys your credibility !

I haven't had a chance yet to read the replies and get involved in the discussion but I wanted to reply to this quickly because I saw this

I think Notre Dame was at one point by far the biggest spenders in terms of recruiting for a lot of the reasons you listed here but in the last decade alone a lot of programs have invested a ton of money into recruiting and I don't think anything's been published since in regards to where Notre Dame ranks but from reading other media reports about other colleges and from hearing things through the grapevine over the years it's easy to come to a conclusion that Notre Dame hasn't kept up.

You got schools now dropping half a million dollars on one recruit visit you got schools now with their own recruiting departments and facilities with hundreds of members of staff and students volunteering and working full time

You got schools now giving away 7 plus figure NL signing bonuses the last report I saw on Notre Dame's recruiting spending had Notre Dame ranked at the top with like a $2 million budget total this was back during the Charlie Weis era

You have schools like Clemson breaking records in terms of salary for their assistant coaches and starting the trend you see today with hi six figure and seven figure coach pay

I think Georgia has like a dozen or so staff members making millions of dollars in salary to focus on recruiting alone

Is any of this going on at Notre dame right now?

Nobody would know because the media does a really mediocre job holding the university athletic department accountable for anything -- all it is is rainbow and pony puff pieces but I digress. YOU REALLY DON‘T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT. ND has to provide disclosure of their complete financial operations, including the Athletic Department’s, every year !
I don't think we hear anything about any Notre Dame initiatives in this regard because nothing is really being done in this regard at ND. No progress is being made. Notre Dame is still trying to pull the industry back to where players had no power and coaches and ADs had all the power but that day is over and I really think it's starting to show up in all of the very average classes Notre Dame has been recruiting

A top 25 top 50 top 100 type are repulsed by us for some reason and it shows in the yearly class rankings

Also I'm on voice transcription so I apologize for poor grammar

Top 10 college football recruiting expenses in 2022
SchoolExpenses
Georgia$4.5 million
Clemson$3.2 million
Texas A&M$3.0 million
Tennessee$2.9 million
Oklahoma$2.6 million
Texas$2.4 million
Alabama$2.3 million
Michigan$2.2 million
Oregon$1.8 million
Florida

Unfortunate cases of excessive waste of monies.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Did you happen to notice that your list ONLY contains public universities ?

No USC’s, Stanford’s, UM’s, ND’s and many others.

What’s the source of your list and what’s the definition of a recruiting expense ?

Georgia recruiting budget for football soared while Alabama's flattened. Both plans worked​

Adam Sparks
Knoxville News Sentinel

Georgia recruiting budget for football soared while Alabama's flattened. Both plans worked​

Adam Sparks
Knoxville News Sentinel
So you have no source confirmation and are relying on a third party, a reporter for a local newspaper as your source. ?

I can’t possibly imagine that being inaccurate !

What’s the definition of a recruiting expense ?

Reactions: BGI User 756
I've posted these resources in the past guy. Anything pro-ND passes your sniff test, anything criticizing the organization requires a source?

A 2017 article written about Kirby Smart's recruiting process since taking over at Georgia:

Many of the comments I made regarding Georgia are in this article.

Texas Spends $280K on Arch Manning recruiting visit

Travis Hunter offered $1.5M+ in NIL bonuses to leave Jackson State/Colorado in transfer portal

On3 has a top 100 NIL valuation list: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/

The #1 football guy on the list is Arch Manning ($2.8M NIL valuation), next is Caleb Williams ($2.6M NIL valuation), etc. etc.

Manning hasn't taken a single FBS snap.

Top flight blue chip 5-star prospects are signing million dollar NIL guarantees. You are naïve to think otherwise.

My question back to you: What is Notre Dame doing to keep up? Anything at all? If the recruiting results tell us anything, it's that ND is not doing enough.

Last edited:
So you have no source confirmation and are relying on a third party, a reporter for a local newspaper as your source. ?

I can’t possibly imagine that being inaccurate !

What’s the definition of a recruiting expense ?
Last season, the 25-year-old Georgia starting Quarterback did not graduate after 6 years in college.

Things are different in the SEC.

Next time ND admins claim that "we're still competing for national titles/the goal is to win a national title" ask them in what way.

In my view, when you are competing for national titles, you are investing the types of resources needed to acquire national title winning talent, not cutting corners on cost while raising your prices, stuffing your coffers and then using spin/PR to control the narrative in the media

Last edited:
Next time ND admins claim that "we're still competing for national titles/the goal is to win a national title" ask them in what way.

My guess would be that they would say ND is competing for national titles by actually playing in the championship game and playoffs three times in the past eleven years.

In my view, when you are competing for national titles, you are investing the types of resources needed to acquire national title winning talent, not cutting corners on cost while raising your prices, stuffing your coffers and then using spin/PR to control the narrative in the media
Not if it means buying players...if that's what it takes to compete, then chances of natty are VERY slim...if you want to root for a football factory, go find another school to follow

Not if it means buying players...if that's what it takes to compete, then chances of natty are VERY slim...if you want to root for a football factory, go find another school to follow
👍

I've posted these resources in the past guy. Anything pro-ND passes your sniff test, anything criticizing the organization requires a source? That’s not true. I always want reliable, certifiable sources, don’t you ?

A 2017 article written about Kirby Smart's recruiting process since taking over at Georgia:

. Articles written by reporters doesn’t qualify as source documentation
Many of the comments I made regarding Georgia are in this article.

Texas Spends $280K on Arch Manning recruiting visit
Where are the financial facts, the line item expenditures to support that claim.

Travis Hunter offered $1.5M+ in NIL bonuses to leave Jackson State/Colorado in transfer portal. Who offered him the $ ?

On3 has a top 100 NIL valuation list: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/

The #1 football guy on the list is Arch Manning ($2.8M NIL valuation), next is Caleb Williams ($2.6M NIL valuation), etc. etc.

Manning hasn't taken a single FBS snap.

Top flight blue chip 5-star prospects are signing million dollar NIL guarantees. You are naïve to think otherwise.

My question back to you: What is Notre Dame doing to keep up? Anything at all? If the recruiting results tell us anything, it's that ND is not doing enough.
First, you have to ask, how many of those 5 stars qualify academically

Then you have to ask: If ND never wins another National Championship does that diminish Notre Dame as a prestigious institution of higher learning ?

What are your priorities when it comes to Notre Dame ?

Where are the financial facts, the line item expenditures to support that claim.

First, you have to ask, how many of those 5 stars qualify academically

Then you have to ask: If ND never wins another National Championship does that diminish Notre Dame as a prestigious institution of higher learning ?

What are your priorities when it comes to Notre Dame ?
Its clear that chaseball wants ND to become a football factory and nothing else.

Top 10 college football recruiting expenses in 2022
SchoolExpenses
Georgia$4.5 million
Clemson$3.2 million
Texas A&M$3.0 million
Tennessee$2.9 million
Oklahoma$2.6 million
Texas$2.4 million
Alabama$2.3 million
Michigan$2.2 million
Oregon$1.8 million
Florida
Now request NDs

Now request NDs
I took a brief look at Notre Dame’s 2021 IRS Form 990 and the Consolidated Financial Statement and couldn’t find line items dedicated to the football program, let alone any line items dedicated to recruiting expenses.

I’d like to see the line items that comprised the “recruiting expenses” in the chart you presented.

I don’t know if the accounting methodology for every one of those schools was uniform and I’d be surprised if there’s a separate line item for recruiting and if so what expenses are attributed to recruiting. I.E. Are a percentage of coaches salaries included in a recruiting line item ?

My guess is that the author of the comparison exercised a good deal creative license when it came to accounting and estimates when assigning recruiting costs to each school.

Hence, I’d like to see the line items and source information that were used in creating that chart.

I took a brief look at Notre Dame’s 2021 IRS Form 990 and the Consolidated Financial Statement and couldn’t find line items dedicated to the football program, let alone any line items dedicated to recruiting expenses.

I’d like to see the line items that comprised the “recruiting expenses” in the chart you presented.

I don’t know if the accounting methodology for every one of those schools was uniform and I’d be surprised if there’s a separate line item for recruiting and if so what expenses are attributed to recruiting. I.E. Are a percentage of coaches salaries included in a recruiting line item ?

My guess is that the author of the comparison exercised a good deal creative license when it came to accounting and estimates when assigning recruiting costs to each school.

Hence, I’d like to see the line items and source information that were used in creating that chart.
Lou Somogyi, RIP, as close to the Notre Dame Football program as anyone i have encountered following this team, and an honorable, phenomenal reporter, often said Notre Dame Football, especially through the Brian Kelly era, had significantly enhanced their football recruiting budget to the point that there was little to complain about. Do they spend as much as anyone? No idea. That said, I am 100% comfortable that $$$$$$ spent on recruiting is not high on the list of things to complain about regarding this football program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT