ADVERTISEMENT

Alleged first hand account of Butler incident:

yep: the last sentence! peacekeeper is in trouble; but everyone else ?

And a huge supporter of 'good cops' here! many in my family.

there are no sides in these matters: except the side of the just/best/most favorable outcome for all concerned.

usually if you are on one side or the other, you will miss that.

there are no sides in these matters: except the side of the just/best/most favorable outcome for all concerned.

usually if you are on one side or the other, you will miss that.

Might be another witness stepping forward that further complicates the whole thing:

On Sunday, one of the women involved in the initial altercation filed a police report claiming the other woman had hit and kicked her in the head.

The alleged victim, a 21-year-old Notre Dame student, told police she saw an acquaintance, also a Notre Dame student, while waiting in line outside the Linebacker. After the 21-year-old woman greeted her acquaintance, the other woman assaulted her, said Capt. Robert Hammer, a South Bend police spokesman. Police have not named everyone involved in that altercation

That report is from the link I posted before - the story was updated about an hour ago.

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/e...cle_1b5b211a-6a56-11e6-8cb7-3b5aa684cfe0.html

Last edited:
well, it seems pretty clear that DB was acting in a 'peacekeeper-referee' role, but he may have done it to a fault. DB may be a long time Seinfeld fan and was concerned about the "Good Samarritan" law?

well, it seems pretty clear that DB was acting in a 'peacekeeper-referee' role, but he may have done it to a fault. DB may be a long time Seinfeld fan and was concerned about the "Good Samarritan" law?

For me, I think the plot becomes more complicated because some witnesses may face a dilemma about being fully cooperative with the alleged victim having filed complaint (after going to the hospital).

If the truth is some version of "My drunk girlfriend was out of control and beating on this other chick. I was so busy breaking it up, I didn't realize a cop was behind me. Before I knew what was happening, I was getting tased. It all happened so fast. I just feel terrible about it. And I shouldn't have been drinking on pain meds." - but how does Butler tell that story, convincingly, without throwing his girlfriend under the bus?

Me - I'd throw her under the bus and let Hunter's fiancee set me up with a new one. She's one pretty young woman.

For me, I think the plot becomes more complicated because some witnesses may face a dilemma about being fully cooperative with the alleged victim having filed complaint (after going to the hospital).

If the truth is some version of "My drunk girlfriend was out of control and beating on this other chick. I was so busy breaking it up, I didn't realize a cop was behind me. Before I knew what was happening, I was getting tased. It all happened so fast. I just feel terrible about it. And I shouldn't have been drinking on pain meds." - but how does Butler tell that story, convincingly, without throwing his girlfriend under the bus?

Me - I'd throw her under the bus and let Hunter's fiancee set me up with a new one. She's one pretty young woman.

well, lucky for him, the cops reportedly said he said just that in the ride to the station.

well, lucky for him, the cops reportedly said he said just that in the ride to the station.

Are you saying that Butler has already told the cops his girlfriend kicked another girl in the head? I haven't seen that reported.

Do you have any thoughts on whether the alleged victim's complaint complicates things for Butler?

Last edited:
no, not the gf thing, but, he is said to have said he did not realize who was pulling him out of the mosh pit.

I think anythink that highlights the extent of the cat fight, has to help his explanation as to the impulse to intervene.

Still perplexed by the DA's brain fart to go the route he did, with the incident officers in question and the discrepancies among witbesses. A misdemeanor was appropriate if anything.
If any of what we hear is true, or even if people think it so, they have to sort this out; getting a bit rediculous.

Who is trying to "win" here?

have to say never a dull or boring year being a ND fan... Just my two cents but think in the end... he will be charged with a misdemeanor battery & given probation.....given all the of the conflicting eyewitness accounts and reports

no, not the gf thing, but, he is said to have said he did not realize who was pulling him out of the mosh pit.

I think anythink that highlights the extent of the cat fight, has to help his explanation as to the impulse to intervene.

Still perplexed by the DA's brain fart to go the route he did, with the incident officers in question and the discrepancies among witbesses. A misdemeanor was appropriate if anything.
If any of what we hear is true, or even if people think it so, they have to sort this out; getting a bit rediculous.

Who is trying to "win" here?

Butler's impulse to intervene isn't what's under scrutiny. His response with the cops is. To credibly explain why he was so distracted by the girl fight that he didn't notice the cops, I think Butler has to provide some details that might not be in his girlfriend's best interest. If he's trying to protect her, the prosecutor may be less willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over the police officers. And to an extent, I would have a hard time faulting a prosecutor for that.

I fully understand that these cops may be provocative assholes, but I'm not sure that's an effective defense to a charge of resisting arrest or battery on a police officer.

As far as a win, there are two complaining witnesses both of whom are reported to have gone to the hospital - an arresting cop, and the alleged victim of the girlfriend's assault. If the cops were out of line, I think its great that there are witnesses willing to step up for Butler. I really do. Are those witnesses willing to help the girl that got kicked in the head get justice? Will they be cooperative if Butler's charges are dropped?

I'd be curious to see what would happen if Butler's girlfriend stepped up on the battery complaint.

gonna defer to you on this; your field
and I learned the law and justice are not necessarily the same thing.

gonna defer to you on this; your field
and I learned the law and justice are not necessarily the same thing.

I think there's part of this that seriously stinks. I just think its a complicated mess for the prosecutor to deal with. Both factually and politically. Really just pointing out the other side.

Butler could end with with a reduced charged, but I have doubts about that happening in a time frame that keeps him in school.

Does anyone know if he's currently enrolled?

Butler's impulse to intervene isn't what's under scrutiny. His response with the cops is. To credibly explain why he was so distracted by the girl fight that he didn't notice the cops, I think Butler has to provide some details that might not be in his girlfriend's best interest. If he's trying to protect her, the prosecutor may be less willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over the police officers. And to an extent, I would have a hard time faulting a prosecutor for that.

I fully understand that these cops may be provocative assholes, but I'm not sure that's an effective defense to a charge of resisting arrest or battery on a police officer.

As far as a win, there are two complaining witnesses both of whom are reported to have gone to the hospital - an arresting cop, and the alleged victim of the girlfriend's assault. If the cops were out of line, I think its great that there are witnesses willing to step up for Butler. I really do. Are those witnesses willing to help the girl that got kicked in the head get justice? Will they be cooperative if Butler's charges are dropped?

I'd be curious to see what would happen if Butler's girlfriend stepped up on the battery complaint.

If Butler's defense is that he didn't know it was a police officer that he assaulted (plausible IMO), doesn't that still leave him guilty of assault? If someone tries to stop you from fighting, that doesn't give you the legal green light to wail on that person.

If Butler's defense is that he didn't know it was a police officer that he assaulted (plausible IMO), doesn't that still leave him guilty of assault? If someone tries to stop you from fighting, that doesn't give you the legal green light to wail on that person.

What fight are you referring to?

Sorry. I meant if you are hugged from behind while attempting to stop a fight.

I think you start getting into a murky area with that. I got grabbed from behind when stopping a fight in my favorite jazz club in Chicago Turned around and the guy that grabbed me tagged me in right the nose. Turns out they were buddies. I can understand why a guy would come up swinging when he gets grabbed from behind.

I did not get arrested (they did), and I didn't have to buy by own drink in that place for about 6 months.

when alcohol is introduced....after midnight....it usually does not end well. Butler's problem started before the girls got into a fight...and before the police arrived. He made the environment what it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT