ADVERTISEMENT

A star is born IAN BOOK ... it has been a LONG wait

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Notre Dame just woke up one day and now has a transcendent offensive monster on its roster (a guy that's looking like one of the best players in the country). It's like waking up one day to a bag full of cash in your room and you have no clue as to how it got there, just that it's there, and it's yours, and now you are much wealthier [uh .. thank you god !? :confused::confused:]

In 3 games (2 as a starter), Ian Book has 10 TDs, a nearly perfect QB rating of 190, and has completed 75% of his passes for 615 yards, and 7 TDs with no interceptions.

When Book throws the ball, the ball is out of his hand quickly, placed perfectly with velocity or touch as needed. He makes ALL the throws.

Book isn't going to complete 80% of his passes and produce 4-5 TDs a game every week, but nobody can deny just how good this player is. Beyond the passing performance, his ability to escape the rush/his feel for the pocket/ and his playmaking ability after a play breaks down reminds me of a cross between Manziel and Mayfield. He's really that good.

This idea that Ian Book hasn't played any big time defenses -- so we don't know if he's any good yet -- is ridiculous .. star players rip apart average/bad defenses. This is how stars are supposed to produce vs inferior competition.

Along with all of the above, his strengths are a perfect match for Chip Long's system and the run pass option. He has a really good feel for when to keep it and run (has quick feet/acceleration that the defense MUST respect). Stanford's LBs were on their toes all game, not knowing where to commit, and Book/Williams were just picking their front 7 apart with the read option as a result. Even the camera man was fooled all game.

Book is going to start getting a TON of national recognition going forward. I don't remember a QB performance like this in back to back weeks at Notre Dame maybe ever.

This just might be the transcendent QB talent ND has been waiting decades for to put them over the top and make them a REAL contender for the national championship. When you have an elite QB this good, it neutralizes the talent advantage that teams like Bama or OSU have on their defense. A good QB is like good pitching, it doesn't matter how good/highly rated the opposition is, when the pitcher is on, it's game over.

It's going to be an exciting next 7+ weeks.

Last edited:
Also it doesn't hurt that he played for The Bear himself :D:p

koZmQqH.jpg

Last edited:
The touchdown pass right before halftime was a Montana like pass, after about six years with the 49ers. I was amazed by that pass. I don't remember Joe ever throwing that ball at ND. He would have gone higher than the third round, if he did and completed it. This young quarterback is special and has a good head on his shoulders too. FYI---"good head on his shoulders is a old phrase I learned from my 77 year old dad many years ago that means, he possesses brains, common sense, and a good dose of humility. He tends to make smart decisions in tough situations. He's the type man you hope your daughter marries some say.

the above image is of Joe Namath when he was at Alabama back in the early 60s .. he is a spitting image of Ian Book (eye paint, number, and everything).

You know your QB career is starting off on the right foot when your game reminds people of Montana and you look like Namath's doppelganger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ara64
I was about to give kudos to whoever performed that Photoshop edit. How much they look like is absurd.

Reactions: chaseball
Notre Dame just woke up one day and now has a transcendent offensive monster on its roster (a guy that's looking like one of the best players in the country). It's like waking up one day to a bag full of cash in your room and you have no clue as to how it got there, just that it's there, and it's yours, and now you are much wealthier [uh .. thank you god !? :confused::confused:]

In 2 games, Ian Book has 10 TDs, a nearly perfect QB rating of 190, and has completed 75% of his passes for 615 yards, and 7 TDs with no interceptions.

When Book throws the ball, the ball is out of his hand quickly, placed perfectly with velocity or touch as needed. He makes ALL the throws.

Book isn't going to complete 80% of his passes and produce 4-5 TDs a game every week, but nobody can deny just how good this player is. Beyond the passing performance, his ability to escape the rush/his feel for the pocket/ and his playmaking ability after a play breaks down reminds me of a cross between Manziel and Mayfield. He's really that good.

This idea that Ian Book hasn't played any big time defenses -- so we don't know if he's any good yet -- is ridiculous .. star players rip apart average/bad defenses. This is how stars are supposed to produce vs inferior competition.

Along with all of the above, his strengths are a perfect match for Chip Long's system and the run pass option. He has a really good feel for when to keep it and run (has quick feet/acceleration that the defense MUST respect). Stanford's LBs were on their toes all game, not knowing where to commit, and Book/Williams were just picking their front 7 apart with the read option as a result. Even the camera man was fooled all game.

Book is going to start getting a TON of national recognition going forward. I don't remember a QB performance like this in back to back weeks at Notre Dame maybe ever.

This just might be the transcendent QB talent ND has been waiting decades for to put them over the top and make them a REAL contender for the national championship. When you have an elite QB this good, it neutralizes the talent advantage that teams like Bama or OSU have on their defense. A good QB is like good pitching, it doesn't matter how good the hitter is when the pitcher is on, it's game over.

No good.....only a 3 star!

Reactions: Ara64
IMO, that shovel pass epitomizes the feel Book has for the game. You can't coach that, he just seems to have it.

That redzone touchdown play right before half time where he threw the ball across the field while running in the opposite direction (i think this is the play Ara was referring to) and also that scramble that looked like he was going to run out of bounds for a loss of yards but then shoveled the ball to the running back or tight end who was out on the flat over a couple defensive linemen's heads reminded me of something straight out of a Manziel highlight video circa 2012.

All night he was making plays like that (even if it was just to avoid a sack and scramble for a short gain, or avoid a sack and throw the ball away) those escapes are absolutely morale destroying to the defense.

He's a very underrated athlete in general .. with feet that quick his 3-cone drill and 20 yard shuttle times have to be off the charts (just like Manziel's were).

Last edited:
Reactions: 88ND and Java65

In 2 games, Ian Book has 10 TDs, a nearly perfect QB rating of 190, and has completed 75% of his passes for 615 yards, and 7 TDs with no interceptions.

This just might be the transcendent QB talent ND has been waiting decades for to put them over the top and make them a REAL contender for the national championship. When you have an elite QB this good, it neutralizes the talent advantage that teams like Bama or OSU have on their defense. A good QB is like good pitching, it doesn't matter how good anybody else on the field is when the pitcher is on, it's game over.

Not to nit pick but ian book doesn't have 10 tds in 2 games.

Not to nit pick but ian book doesn't have 10 tds in 2 games.

He has 7 passing TDs, and 3 rushing TDs..

edit: I see, he had 1 TD vs Vanderbilt when he came in shortly for a redzone drive .. no nitpick at all :D

Last edited:
And, he has two more years of eligibility! Imagine him in 2020!

Just two games ago he was a back up QB seen as a short term insurance policy between Wimbush and PJ, and a poster child for Chase and others decrying our second tier recruiting and conviction that we lack the talent (stars) to contend against the top tier programs. In this context, the OP is comical.

Just two games ago he was a back up QB seen as a short term insurance policy between Wimbush and PJ, and a poster child for Chase and others decrying our second tier recruiting and conviction that we lack the talent (stars) to contend against the top tier programs. In this context, the OP is comical.
What I think has been talked about some but not given enough attention is how poor a game long called for wimbush and his abilities the opposite is true for book, long is calling a marvelous game for book and his abilities. I definitely think books abilities resonate better with the extreme talent we have all over, but i'm disappointed and shocked at longs inability or stubbornness to call a game to brandon's strengths. It feel like the thought process was "here's the offense we are going to run, we want it to be brandon because of his insane physical abilities. Brandon you get first shot at running this offense, didn't work as we hoped, book, your shot" My problem is the offense they are running is clearly better for the QB book is and how the heck did they not see it from Last year, spring, fall camp, etc. I get starting and needing wimbush vs UM, look how good our offense was vs that D in the first half when aggressive, but to then go in a shell the 2nd half of that game and the 2-4th quarters of the next two games is baffling

Vs stanford long called a simple pass, first down pass play, in opposition territory, in the fourth quarter, up 14. Never in a million years would he call such a simple pass and play for wimbush, a play designed to help out the QB, and trick the D.

the above image is of Joe Namath when he was at Alabama back in the early 60s .. he is a spitting image of Ian Book (eye paint, number, and everything).

You know your QB career is starting off on the right foot when your game reminds people of Montana and you look like Namath's doppelganger.

Sure hope Book's broadcasting career doesn't end the same way.

Seriously though, I was wrong about Kelly/Book/Wimbush and thank God for it.

huh?

ND looks great this season, and Ian Book looks like a star. But none of this changes that ND is being out recruited by 10 other programs and in the low 2nd/high 3rd tier in terms of talent acquisition/recruiting.

I'm still a fan of the program, and despite the odds not being great, 3 star players do emerge as stars in college football (it's less likely than higher rated players, but it does happen, and as a fan, when a player like Ian Book emerges, reglardless of his recruit-profile, it's exciting none the less).

NDs recruiting is still bad relative to the modern powers in college football. Their lack of relative talent still caps their upside. I'm hoping that Ian Book really is that transcendent QB talent (a player that is so good at such a critical position he carries the rest of the team). Early signs are (ala this post) that he just may be that guy.

All of these things can be true at the same time.

Last edited:
IMO, that shovel pass epitomizes the feel Book has for the game. You can't coach that, he just seems to have it.

That redzone touchdown play right before half time where he threw the ball across the field while running in the opposite direction (i think this is the play Ara was referring to) and also that scramble that looked like he was going to run out of bounds for a loss of yards but then shoveled the ball to the running back or tight end who was out on the flat over a couple defensive linemen's heads reminded me of something straight out of a Manziel highlight video circa 2012.

All night he was making plays like that (even if it was just to avoid a sack and scramble for a short gain, or avoid a sack and throw the ball away) those escapes are absolutely morale destroying to the defense.

He's a very underrated athlete in general .. with feet that quick his 3-cone drill and 20 yard shuffle times have to be off the charts (just like Manziel's were).
Chase good post Ian is the real deal . I remember his first spring game he took Wimbush to the tool shed . It was the first tome we saw what a talent we had . Too bad the young man didn’t start at the beginning of his career but he is only a sophomore ,

Wait a sec, you guys have been told...Book is a "serviceable back-up and that is all he will ever be!" And another fav: "It's a shame Wimbush never got the same oppurtunities as Book!"

huh?

ND looks great this season, and Ian Book looks like a star. But none of this changes that ND is being out recruited by 10 other programs and in the low 2nd/high 3rd tier in terms of talent acquisition/recruiting.

I'm still a fan of the program, and despite the odds not being great, 3 star players do emerge as stars in college football (it's less likely than higher rated players, but it does happen, and as a fan, when a player like Ian Book emerges, reglardless of his recruit-profile, it's exciting none the less).

NDs recruiting is still bad relative to the modern powers in college football. Their lack of relative talent still caps their upside. I'm hoping that Ian Book really is that transcendent QB talent (a player that is so good at such a critical position he carries the rest of the team). Early signs are (ala this post) that he just may be that guy.

All of these things can be true at the same time.
Bad? I don't think so. Do they have make believe degrees and backpacks of cash? No thats the difference

What I think has been talked about some but not given enough attention is how poor a game long called for wimbush and his abilities the opposite is true for book, long is calling a marvelous game for book and his abilities. I definitely think books abilities resonate better with the extreme talent we have all over, but i'm disappointed and shocked at longs inability or stubbornness to call a game to brandon's strengths. It feel like the thought process was "here's the offense we are going to run, we want it to be brandon because of his insane physical abilities. Brandon you get first shot at running this offense, didn't work as we hoped, book, your shot" My problem is the offense they are running is clearly better for the QB book is and how the heck did they not see it from Last year, spring, fall camp, etc. I get starting and needing wimbush vs UM, look how good our offense was vs that D in the first half when aggressive, but to then go in a shell the 2nd half of that game and the 2-4th quarters of the next two games is baffling

Vs stanford long called a simple pass, first down pass play, in opposition territory, in the fourth quarter, up 14. Never in a million years would he call such a simple pass and play for wimbush, a play designed to help out the QB, and trick the D.
Nasty, I agree with most of this and have written similar comments on this board. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than Kelly’s explanation that they wanted more playmakers getting the bsll and the offense run at a faster pace. They had to choose between a Wimbush centeric offensive scheme or the one Long and Kelly prefer, and they ultimately chose to change QBs to fit the offense, rather than modify the offense to fit Wimbush.

Ian’s playing better than anyone could possibly have imagined. Kudos to the kid. If he continues this, he should be in NY in December. Regardless of the fact the He didn’t start the first few games.

I remember posting 2 weeks ago that Book was an excellent back up QB with Phil lined up for next year.

That’s why I’m an anonymous internet poster and Coach Kelly makes millions of dollars a year, flys around in a private jet, and is 5-0

I remember posting 2 weeks ago that Book was an excellent back up QB with Phil lined up for next year.

That’s why I’m an anonymous internet poster and Coach Kelly makes millions of dollars a year, flys around in a private jet, and is 5-0

2 weeks ago NOBODY knew that he was this good, not even the coaching staff whose had the benefit of watching his reps for several years in practice.

That's why i used the 'bag of cash' analogy .. we all just woke up one day and like a gift from god we have this MVP/Heisman/offensive monster on the roster.

Had we known this coming into the year, ND would be at the top of the AP rankings, with way more playoff buzz heading into the year.

Wimbush was a solid QB who led the team to a 13-3 record as a starter and probably could have developed over the course of the season into a better passer .. but this offense with Ian Book is looking unstoppable. Wimbush is your typical FBS quarterback with some nice physical tools, Ian Book is looking like a generational talent, the type of talent that can single handedly carry a team to the national championship.

Nasty, I agree with most of this and have written similar comments on this board. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than Kelly’s explanation that they wanted more playmakers getting the bsll and the offense run at a faster pace. They had to choose between a Wimbush centeric offensive scheme or the one Long and Kelly prefer, and they ultimately chose to change QBs to fit the offense, rather than modify the offense to fit Wimbush.
I’m fine with that, but why week 4 and why didn’t they run a wimbush centric offense for four quarters any of the first three games? We will probably never know

I’m fine with that, but why week 4 and why didn’t they run a wimbush centric offense for four quarters any of the first three games? We will probably never know

I don't agree with this logic ...

Coaches and their staffs are paid millions to win football games. It's in their collective interest to do everything they can to put their best players in every possible situation they possibly can to succeed.

This idea that they withheld tailoring the offense to Wimbush's strengths and selectively chose only to give Ian Book this type of courtesy seems far fetched/unfounded to me.

What is more likely is that Ian Book is just a much better player with much better natural instincts and skills to play the position. And it took giving him the ball and just letting him run the offense for an extended period for him to leave no more doubt in the eyes of both the fans and the coaches.

Prognosticating QBs is one of the hardest things to do in football because so much of what makes a great quarterback can't really be profiled like other positions that mostly require just being a great athlete with a big body. It's a lot of intangibles on top of instinct/read reaction/learning quickly/reacting quickly / throwing accurate passes/avoiding oncoming rushers (having natural gift for that).. etc.

Brandon Wimbush looks much better in pads .. would absolutely murder Ian Book in a 40 yard dash and his fastball would read higher on a radar gun .. but put Ian Book behind center with the lights on and Book's offense will move the ball far more efficiently.

Ian Book is a really talented quarterback and a really nice surprise (not just a surprise to fans but coaches included) ...it's really that simple.

Last edited:

I guess the issue I take with these statements is me wondering what a “Wimbush-centric” offense is supposed to look like other than what it was. I keep hearing “pass on 1st down,” but passing isn’t his strength. He struggled hitting WR screens. Timing passes were definitely not his cup of tea either. Wimbush has a cannon and can throw the ball far, but how many of those were ever on target? Please explain this offense to me so I can understand where you’re coming from.

Reactions: tbonesays
I guess the issue I take with these statements is me wondering what a “Wimbush-centric” offense is supposed to look like other than what it was. I keep hearing “pass on 1st down,” but passing isn’t his strength. He struggled hitting WR screens. Timing passes were definitely not his cup of tea either. Wimbush has a cannon and can throw the ball far, but how many of those were ever on target? Please explain this offense to me so I can understand where you’re coming from.
Watch the first quarter of any of the first three games to see a wimbush centered offense. Roll outs with run and pass as options, designed runs up the middle, play action passes. Fake wimbush run into a pass, deep shots down field. After the first quarter it became a quick outside passing rpo game with a lot of boring runs and passes only in obvious passing downs. Also they slow d the tempo and constantly did a check with long every snap. There’s a reason wimbush led his team to scores each of the first two drives of every game when there was scripted plays, no check with long, and tempo. You need to run tempo with athletic qbs.

I love the offense with book right now but I feel bad for Brandon that he never really got a fair shot to shine.

Watch the first quarter of any of the first three games to see a wimbush centered offense. Roll outs with run and pass as options, designed runs up the middle, play action passes. Fake wimbush run into a pass, deep shots down field. After the first quarter it became a quick outside passing rpo game with a lot of boring runs and passes only in obvious passing downs. Also they slow d the tempo and constantly did a check with long every snap. There’s a reason wimbush led his team to scores each of the first two drives of every game when there was scripted plays, no check with long, and tempo. You need to run tempo with athletic qbs.

I love the offense with book right now but I feel bad for Brandon that he never really got a fair shot to shine.

He started 16 games .. he just didn't have 'it' .. and when there's another player who is flashing in practice the coaches will eventually make a change .. he was given every opportunity to run away with the starting job

those performances vs ball state and vanderbilt were the final nail in the coffin .. if Wimbush was still behind center there's no way ND pounces Stanford by 21 points this past weekend and there's no way ND is getting the playoff buzz/recognition they are now

Ridiculous post. He had over a dozen games to shine. He played ok but didn't improve.

Then why did he start 3 games this season? The whole situation doesn’t make sense
To you maybe. He was given a chance to perform because he was the incumbent. Nothing to see here. Book runs the offense much better. Not hard to understand.

He started 16 games .. he just didn't have 'it' .. and when there's another player who is flashing in practice the coaches will eventually make a change .. he was given every opportunity to run away with the starting job

those performances vs ball state and vanderbilt were the final nail in the coffin .. if Wimbush was still behind center there's no way ND pounces Stanford by 21 points this past weekend and there's no way ND is getting the playoff buzz/recognition they are now
Do you remember usc last year or N.C. state or at Michigan state?

To you maybe. He was given a chance to perform because he was the incumbent. Nothing to see here. Book runs the offense much better. Not hard to understand.
I’m not questioning that book shouldn’t be the qb, he should, just the process to get here is confusing.

No. Book simply plays better than Wimbush. Thus, Long looks better than he did with Wimbush.

And, he has two more years of eligibility! Imagine him in 2020!

Sounds great, unless the 2nd year starting QB regression theory takes place again under Kelly. Hopefully Book will be the QB to finally break the hex.

Sounds great, unless the 2nd year starting QB regression theory takes place again under Kelly. Hopefully Book will be the QB to finally break the hex.
Does this count as his second year? I say yes to brake the curse.

First off....... love Book. He's played great so far. The sky seems to be the limit for him.

But let's pump the brakes a little bit here. Not ready to anoint him the next Joe Montana. He's started TWO GAMES!!. We have yet to see him have an "off" game. And God forbid he does, cuz the usual suspects will be calling for his head and calling for PJ.

Again - I'm tickled pink he's playing the way he has. Hope he can sustain that momentum and lead the Irish to the promised land. But let's let the season play out and see what happens. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE - LET'S NOT JINX IT!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT