ADVERTISEMENT

#6 Ohio State v #9 Notre Dane prediction thread

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
The Irish are a mere 3-13 vs the top 10 in their last 16 match ups.

Sam Hartman is ND’s best QB in a good while and gives ND the advantage in the QB match up but the Irish ground game that punishes the OSU defense.

ND’s future top 5 NFL draft pick (Joe Alt) helps keep Hartman upright and gives him time to distribute the ball all over the field.

The Buckeyes have their own future top 3 NFL draft pick in Marvin Harrison Jr. (God I’m old). Im excited for the match up between him and another future first round NFL draft pick Benjamin Morrison.

I don’t watch Sunday football but there is a lot of Sunday talent in this game.

Estime punches in a late to go ahead TD and the Irish hold on…

Buckeyes 31
Irish 38

Last edited:
Irish 41-38.

Feel/hoping the defensive brain trust has some schemes to keep pressure on the OSU QB. Make him uncomfortable and not give him time to sit back and scan the field.

Not sure that OSU has faced a balanced attack that ND has on offense. With the 5 RBs and able to rotate in a fresh back on offense, should keep some pressure on the OSU defense.

I have not seen the OSU kicker but I have seen the ND kicker, and he is pretty good.

Freeman is not afraid to use timeouts to try and get the ball back and score before halftime, have not seen that in awhile at ND.

GO IRISH!!!!!!

OSU 34
ND 31

The game could go either way. I just don’t feel confident in the defense. @Fifthhorseman25 makes a good point about the kicker for ND. It feels great to have a leg like that at ND.

I’m encouraged by watching the highlights of the OSU/WKU game. WKU looked horrible on defense. So I’m not yet convinced that this is a high-octane OSU offense. Two defensive scores for OSU as well.

Defensively for ND, I hope they clean up some things up with their blitzing and reduce the amount of it. Let the LB’s play a little more downhill. I have a suspicion they’re going to pump the breaks on all of that blitzing.

I think this would be the biggest win in last 10 years. Even bigger than the Clemson win. I’ll be praying that ND take the dub. I think however, that our issue is going to be the pass rush with 4 guys. We are going to have to blitz and I don’t have faith in Liafau to get to the QB. OSU 35-24

I have heard so many storylines....all predictable and valid. A couple that stick out to me not discussed much: ND's red zone production. First we have to get there.....and should. We need to score on downs 1 through 3 in the redzone. Field goals are there if thats all there is...and we can't walk away without points because we went for it on 4th down and came up short. That is prohibitive. I know Hartman can spread the field...but the red zone has to be equally productive for ND. Two: Hands off of Hartman. This O line cannot let OSU put their hands on him. They will punish him and go after the ball.....every time they get their hands on him. Third: have fresh legs in the late third and fourth quarter. How many times has ND "been in the game" against top shelf competition only to collapse late? I think OSU game plans this as a matter of fact....and we have to be prepared to trade shots for 4 quarters no matter what the score is.

Sam Hartman is ND’s best QB in a good while and gives ND the advantage in the QB match up but the Irish ground game that punishes the OSU defense.

ND’s future top 5 NFL draft pick (Joe Alt) helps keep Hartman upright and gives him time to distribute the ball all over the field.

The Buckeyes have their own future top 3 NFL draft pick in Marvin Harrison Jr. (God I’m old). Im excited for the match up between him and another future first round NFL draft pick Benjamin Morrison.

Buckeyes 31
Irish 38
ND 38. Nuts 17

Reactions: irishalice

Buckeyes 31
Irish 38
ND wins; who care the score.

Its interesting. I find it odd the "talking heads" act as this is the biggest game ND has played since 1993. I believe the matchup against Clemson was a #4 vs #1... in 2020.

I think the magnitude of the game is less around it being Notre Dame/OSU, and more of it is Marcus Freeman moving us in the right direction against a CFP contender. If with Sam, he could have landed some stud possession and deep threat I would feel better, but we got what we got.

On paper, OSU should win if you base it on recruiting classes. If you base it on strength and weaknesses it looks like our offense is better, their defense is better. I usually give the nod to the better defense.

Getting to the details, OSU has a good QB, but he has never been in this situation and seen these athletes. Wait until the Harper plants him on is back. Sam has played against Clemson, at Clemson. Cant get any harder than that. ND's secondary is also better than OSU's so that could really limit what Day tries to do. The last thing he will want is to get his QB thinking too much and hearing footsteps. A pick it could be Clemson again. Nod to ND on the QB/Passing.

Run Games I dont see ND any better than OSU. I do see OSU's DL better than ND's DL so I would give a slight nod in the run game to OSU. We do have a good LB core, but they are a bit slow and OSU has athletes so could be a bit frustrating and if we have to commit safteys to stopping it then the QB might have a better shot.

Night game at ND, i dont remember us every playing poorly. Unfortunately we have lost some close ones...the bush push....the phantom roughing on ND vs UGA.....For whatever reason, the officials always seem to error on the side of the visitors in these tight night top games. So let's give OSU some favorable call we dont need.

I dont see a shoot out. I think OSU, like ND in 2022 will want to shorten the game. Look for a sack/fumble, just get out. Keep things in front of you, swap TD's for FGs. OSU might try and establish the run early go get body blows into the 4th qtr. When ND commits to stopping it, go to the 1:1 with their 5 star receivers. For that, I just dont see this much past a 24-28 game when the clocks run in Q1/Q3.

I think ND too will look more at the run and the short passing early. I dont see them wanting to get Sam hurt early with a leaky center. I think OSU will not play tight on the line and let Same take the unders for a bit. I do see at the right time ND going deep, just not early.

Home, your best QB in years, what ND is built for, seems like we "owe" OSU one.......I think we get some 45 yarder (fg) towards the end and the Defense salts it away on a sack or pick late. I think it will be less than 4 points diff.....just got a feeling we steal this one.......

Its interesting. I find it odd the "talking heads" act as this is the biggest game ND has played since 1993. I believe the matchup against Clemson was a #4 vs #1... in 2020.

I think the magnitude of the game is less around it being Notre Dame/OSU, and more of it is Marcus Freeman moving us in the right direction against a CFP contender. If with Sam, he could have landed some stud possession and deep threat I would feel better, but we got what we got.

On paper, OSU should win if you base it on recruiting classes. If you base it on strength and weaknesses it looks like our offense is better, their defense is better. I usually give the nod to the better defense.

Getting to the details, OSU has a good QB, but he has never been in this situation and seen these athletes. Wait until the Harper plants him on is back. Sam has played against Clemson, at Clemson. Cant get any harder than that. ND's secondary is also better than OSU's so that could really limit what Day tries to do. The last thing he will want is to get his QB thinking too much and hearing footsteps. A pick it could be Clemson again. Nod to ND on the QB/Passing.

Run Games I dont see ND any better than OSU. I do see OSU's DL better than ND's DL so I would give a slight nod in the run game to OSU. We do have a good LB core, but they are a bit slow and OSU has athletes so could be a bit frustrating and if we have to commit safteys to stopping it then the QB might have a better shot.

Night game at ND, i dont remember us every playing poorly. Unfortunately we have lost some close ones...the bush push....the phantom roughing on ND vs UGA.....For whatever reason, the officials always seem to error on the side of the visitors in these tight night top games. So let's give OSU some favorable call we dont need.

I dont see a shoot out. I think OSU, like ND in 2022 will want to shorten the game. Look for a sack/fumble, just get out. Keep things in front of you, swap TD's for FGs. OSU might try and establish the run early go get body blows into the 4th qtr. When ND commits to stopping it, go to the 1:1 with their 5 star receivers. For that, I just dont see this much past a 24-28 game when the clocks run in Q1/Q3.

I think ND too will look more at the run and the short passing early. I dont see them wanting to get Sam hurt early with a leaky center. I think OSU will not play tight on the line and let Same take the unders for a bit. I do see at the right time ND going deep, just not early.

Home, your best QB in years, what ND is built for, seems like we "owe" OSU one.......I think we get some 45 yarder (fg) towards the end and the Defense salts it away on a sack or pick late. I think it will be less than 4 points diff.....just got a feeling we steal this one.......
It's definitely in the mix for biggest game since 93 in South Bend.

USC 05 is up there. 2020 Clemson is up there but with a small asterisk. No Trevor made us not get the respect of beating a number 1 tea. Because they weren't without him.

I would put this number 2 behind USC

THIS IS HUGE

Reactions: sluggo69
If ND first play from scrimmage is a downfield pass they win 27-20. If the first play is a run or screen, they lose 27-20.

I really hate to be the debbie downer, but until ND actually wins a game like this, I don't see it going any other way than a hard fought loss.

I see the frosh QB for OSU making lots of mistakes and our D making his life difficult. OSU's defense is significantly better than last years version and shuts down our run game. We move the ball decent through the air, but drives get shutdown in the red zone. But in the end, I think OSU does enough to escape with a 28-17 victory.

I really hate to be the debbie downer, but until ND actually wins a game like this, I don't see it going any other way than a hard fought loss.

I see the frosh QB for OSU making lots of mistakes and our D making his life difficult. OSU's defense is significantly better than last years version and shuts down our run game. We move the ball decent through the air, but drives get shutdown in the red zone. But in the end, I think OSU does enough to escape with a 28-17 victory.
He's a junior.... so your opinion is legit lol

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69
All Irish fans have this post-traumatic stress syndrome regarding big time match ups and feel the game has to be close because ND has gotten their sh*t pushed the past 30 years in these games.

Notre Dame 42
Ohio State 21

Game will be close in the first half, maybe tied 14-14 going into the half. Notre Dame will run away with it and figure out how to shut the Buckeyes down. Ohio state scores 1 more in garbage time at the end.

Last edited:

bk is long gone. New sheriff in town

All Irish fans have this post-traumatic stress syndrome regarding big time match ups and feel the game has to be close because ND has gotten their sh*t pushed the past 30 years in these games.

Notre Dame 42
Ohio State 21

Game will be close in the first half, maybe tied 14-14 going into the half. Notre Dame will run away with it and figure out how to shut the Buckeyes down. Ohio state scores 1 more in garbage time at the end.
I used to be a trader and I can count on one hand the number of times I bought at the absolute bottom or sold at the absolute top, so I understand the PTSD feeling well. Typically, I had better luck sticking with the trend until I had reasonable confirmation it had turned. But I think I'll go out on a limb this time and predict an ND win. Maybe something like 30-24 or 27-20.

ONE THING, AND THEN ANOTHER
LETS NOT LOSE COOL OR PANIC AFTER 1 possession; JUST AS THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY TOO EARLY CHEST POUNDING!

Even in our worst days we usually didn’t get embarrassed in big games at home. Road games were a different story, and neutral sites the worst of all. The last big game I remember us being embarrassed in is like 06 Michigan. So I definitely don’t think we lose by 2+ scores like some are saying. I think there’s a better chance we blow them out than vice versa.

37-28 ND

It's definitely in the mix for biggest game since 93 in South Bend.

USC 05 is up there. 2020 Clemson is up there but with a small asterisk. No Trevor made us not get the respect of beating a number 1 tea. Because they weren't without him.

I would put this number 2 behind USC

THIS IS HUGE

No doubt there. I just saw several feeds that "this is the biggest game since 1993" not just SB. I think the biggest game was 2012 versus Bama personally. In SB we have had lots....UGA, Michigan, USC, Clemson now OSU.

Agree on USC, I would put the 20 Clemson who was number 1 second. This game or some Michigan game I'm missing. It does not come close to 93. The USC game will be the same as 93 if we are both undefeated. To have a game late, playoffs on the line for both. That is "the biggest game ever".

ONE THING, AND THEN ANOTHER
LETS NOT LOSE COOL OR PANIC AFTER 1 possession; JUST AS THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY TOO EARLY CHEST POUNDING!

That is NOT possible....we all live on every play during the game thread. hahaha

Even in our worst days we usually didn’t get embarrassed in big games at home. Road games were a different story, and neutral sites the worst of all. The last big game I remember us being embarrassed in is like 06 Michigan. So I definitely don’t think we lose by 2+ scores like some are saying. I think there’s a better chance we blow them out than vice versa.

37-28 ND
Agree....has there ever been a night game we got spanked? I just always remember us playing our best...

I don’t think OSU is a top 5 team. That said, I don’t know if ND is a top 10 team. I’ll go with ND by 3 since it’s in SB.

ND 38. Nuts 17
Not making a prediction but hell will freeze over before that OSU offense is limited to 17 points. I read on one of the national websites that they are shooting - in the near future - for some kind of record for most consecutive games of 20+ points

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT