ADVERTISEMENT

Now That The Dust From OSU Has Settled . . . .

Dec 7, 2007
With all the gloom and doom here, which has been discussed ad nauseum by many, I thought there were some positives to take from the game, which at least merit a discussion:

1. The play of Benjamin Morrison. I said this on another thread, but I think his tight coverage all night on Marvin Harrison, Jr. improved Morrison's NFL draft stock considerably. Harrison has been drawing comparisons to Randy Moss, AJ Green, Julio Jones and other NFL greats. All the mock drafts have Harrison going in the top 5 of next year's NFL draft, and some have him as the top pick. (I don't agree there; it will be Caleb Williams.) Harrison wasn't shut out against ND, but he was a non-factor in the game due largely to Morrison's tight coverage. Egbuka killed us, but Harrison did not.

2. Mitchell Evans! Who knew he could catch the ball so well? Mitchell was great. His one-handed grab against the OSU LB where the refs missed a clear PI call was something else. I think PFF had him as the highest rated player in the game.

3. The play of our freshman. Rico Flores, Jaden Greathouse and Jeremiyah Love all made meaningful contributions. And while ND's coaching staff is being pilloried for what happened late in the game--and rightfully so--hats off to them for letting the freshman play meaningful snaps. That just never seemed to happen with BK.

4. Javontae Jean-Baptiste. I thought he was probably our best player on D. He came to play against his old team. He was disruptive all night. It was also nice to see Jaylen Sneed make a few plays. I haven't seen the snap counts from the game, so I don't know how much Jaylen played, but he factored in to a few big plays. Maybe he is starting to figure things out. I hope so. We need him.

Last edited:
With all the gloom and doom here, which has been discussed ad nauseum by many, I thought there were some positives to take from the game, which at least merit a discussion:

1. The play of Benjamin Morrison. I said this on another thread, but I think his tight coverage all night on Marvin Harrison, Jr. improved Morrison's NFL draft stock considerably. Harrison has been drawing comparisons to Randy Moss, AJ Green, Julio Jones and other NFL greats. All the mock drafts have Harrison going in the top 5 of next year's NFL draft, and some have him as the top pick. (I don't agree there; it will be Caleb Williams.) Harrison wasn't shut out against ND, but he was a non-factor in the game due largely to Morrison's tight coverage. Egbuka killed us, but Harrison did not.

2. Mitchell Evans! Who knew he could catch the ball so well? Mitchell was great. His one-handed grab against the OSU LB where the refs missed a clear PI call was something else. I think PFF had him as the highest rated player in the game.

3. The play of our freshman. Rico Flores, Jaden Greathouse and Jeremiyah Love all made meaningful contributions. And while ND's coaching staff is being pilloried for what happened late in the game--and rightfully so--hats off to them for letting the freshman play meaningful snaps. That just never seemed to happen with BK.

4. Javontae Jean-Baptiste. I thought he was probably our best player on D. He came to play against his old team. He was disruptive all night. It was also nice to see Jaylen Sneed make a few plays. I haven't seen the snap counts from the game, so I don't know how Jaylen played, but he factored in to a few big plays. Maybe he is starting to figure things out. I hope so. We need him.
This is a great post. Only picky thing I will say is I wish the dust has settled. Can someone help me? Anyone?

4. Javontae Jean-Baptiste. I thought he was probably our best player on D. He came to play against his old team. He was disruptive all night. It was also nice to see Jaylen Sneed make a few plays. I haven't seen the snap counts from the game, so I don't know how much Jaylen played, but he factored in to a few big plays. Maybe he is starting to figure things out. I hope so. We need him.

Egbuka was the player of the game IMO. He is good enough to be the number one receiver on about 130/133 FBS teams.

Very good post and spot on. However is it me, but late in the game they either moved Harrison around or another corner was covering him? I would've thought they would say screen the field/boundary and go where he goes.

Very good post and spot on. However is it me, but late in the game they either moved Harrison around or another corner was covering him? I would've thought they would say screen the field/boundary and go where he goes.
They high lowed him a lot. So Egbuka was in the slot more. That's why he had the big game he did. LBs were just awful at getting any route disruption in the seams.

Reactions: ftnfan62
Egbuka was the player of the game IMO. He is good enough to be the number one receiver on about 130/133 FBS teams.
Certinly found the correct spots in zone and shut down his routes to be readily available for the pass; more responsible for McCord's numbers than the QB directly.. Much more of a difference than was Harrison.

Reactions: ivan brunetti

I agree, but the real test as to their future performance will come this Saturday.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I agree, but the real test as to their future performance will come this Saturday.

Yes, we will see. Either there will be a hangover from how the OSU game ended, or the team will play pissed off and lay the wood to Duke. I am going with the latter. But maybe that is because I am drinking the green koolaid.

Last edited:
I read on another message board that MF took the team and his staff to the stadium last night and made them watch the last 4 minutes of the OSU game on the Jumbotron with the sound cranked up full. Students living in nearby dorms said it was the loudest they had ever heard the stadium sound system.

Good to hear that Marcus is making it a learning experience, painful as it might be, for both the team and the coaches, including MF. Certainly I have heard of coaches using game film to teach, but don't know that I have heard of it being done that way before.

Too bad MF didn't have some of our posters out there selling popcorn.

Certinly found the correct spots in zone and shut down his routes to be readily available for the pass; more responsible for McCord's numbers than the QB directly.. Much more of a difference than was Harrison.

Harrison was attracting special attention, which cleared the way for Egbuka. You can only double cover one guy at a time...

Yes, we will see. Either there will be a hangover from how the OSU game ended, or the team will play pissed off and lay the wood to Duke. I am going with the latter. But maybe that is because I am drinking the green koolaid.
I hope that you’re right !

Go Irish ☘️

I forgot to note an ironic point that I heard one of the announcers make (probably Todd Blackledge) during the broadcast. He said he had talked to Al Golden during the week and asked Golden what was the most important thing he learned during his recent stint in the NFL. As I recall, Golden said that most NFL games are usually won or lost during the last 4 minutes of the game, or something like that. How prophetic that statement was.

Reactions: DublinND
It was Blackledge, but not Golden. I dont remember what coach he said, probably one of his old coaches. Just said all games seem to be won or lost in the last 4 minutes. Probably easy to predict that with a 4 point lead and 4 minutes to go.

I would add Cross and Pyne to that list. They both played with heart.

It was Blackledge, but not Golden. I dont remember what coach he said, probably one of his old coaches. Just said all games seem to be won or lost in the last 4 minutes. Probably easy to predict that with a 4 point lead and 4 minutes to go.

I would add Cross and Pyne to that list. They both played with heart.
He was referring to the NFL - most games decided in last 4 mins.

Evans much like Mayer has a way of dragging people with him for extra yards after the catch too. Staes has great hands.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT