ADVERTISEMENT

5 years ago. My have the tables turned

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
5 years ago this week, ND was 4-7, BVG was fired and the team was heading to play their greatest rival USC. The Trojans went on to beat ND 45-27, they had a budding superstar in Sam Darnold. And by virtue of UW going to the CFP. the Trojans would go on to the Rose Bowl and defeat #5 Penn State. Finishing a 10-3 season

Meanwhile, the other Califonia team synonymous with Thanksgiving week, is Stanford. The Cardinal defeated ND in 2016, and were also on their way to completing a 10-3 season. Let us also not forget many posters on here like (DeadIrishPoet / DIP) were holding up David Shaw and The Cardinal as the blueprint, for what the ND program needed to look like in the future.

And the last thing i remember was the "Kelly Critics" preening around like peacocks, literally salivating at the prospects of Brian Kelly's firing. Well, thank god Jack Swarbrick is much, much, much, much, smarter than the average message board crank. Brian Kelly a lifetime winner, was allowed to reset the culture, reset the coaching staff, reset the football program

The Results
55-9 over 5 years
2 CFP appearances in 2018 & 2021
And knocking on the door of #3 in 2021
5 consectutive 10+ win season
Brian Kelly with most wins of any Head Coach in ND history

The only pin left to knock over is the National Championship. Why not 2021?

Last edited:
Uh; the Kelly "doubters" were not wrong. I was one of them. In fact, thank the Kelly doubters for the recent
ND success; and Kelly for responding to those doubters. As you say: "Kelly was allowed to reset the culture,
reset the coaching staff, reset the football program." Would the reset ever have happened without the intense
criticism?? I give Kelly credit for making the necessary changes and turning things around. I don't feel bad at all
about being an early critic.

Uh; the Kelly "doubters" were not wrong. I was one of them. In fact, thank the Kelly doubters for the recent
ND success; and Kelly for responding to those doubters. As you say: "Kelly was allowed to reset the culture,
reset the coaching staff, reset the football program." Would the reset ever have happened without the intense
criticism?? I give Kelly credit for making the necessary changes and turning things around. I don't feel bad at all
Kelly is without question a top 5 coach in college football. And I think our coordinators are underrated. Both will take big steps forward next season. Program is incredibly healthy.

5 years ago this week, ND was 4-7, BVG was fired and the team was heading to play their greatest rival USC. The Trojans went on to beat ND 45-27, they had a budding superstar in Sam Darnold. And by virtue of UW going to the CFP. the Trojans would go on to the Rose Bowl and defeat #5 Penn State. Finishing a 10-3 season

Meanwhile, the other Califonia team synonymous with Thanksgiving week, is Stanford. The Cardinal defeated ND in 2016, and were also on their way to completing a 10-3 season. Let us also not forget many posters on here like (DeadIrishPoet / DIP) were holding up David Shaw and The Cardinal as the blueprint, for what the ND program needed to look like in the future.

And the last thing i remember was the "Kelly Cranks' "Kelly Haters" preening around like peacocks, literally salivating at the prospects of Brian Kelly's firing. Well, thank god Jack Swarbrick is much, much, much, much, smarter than the average message board crank. Brian Kelly a lifetime winner, was allowed to reset the culture, reset the coaching staff, reset the football program

The Results
55-9 over 5 years

That's the spirit IrishFforida! Why not a NC this year? When UGA played ND in 1980 (maybe 1/1 '81) for the championship not many on UGA believed they could win - but, some of their team believed it. Now may be the time for ND to take a NC title that has been so elusive over the years. And, for the record, #6 ND knocked off #5 Bama in Birmingham that year.

Reactions: NDinNJ

And the last thing i remember was the "Kelly Cranks' "Kelly Haters" preening around like peacocks, literally salivating at the prospects of Brian Kelly's firing. Well, thank god Jack Swarbrick is much, much, much, much, smarter than the average message board crank. Brian Kelly a lifetime winner, was allowed to reset the culture, reset the coaching staff, reset the football program

The Results
55-9 over 5 years

This post would make sense if kelly had multiple championships in last 5 years.

Last edited:
I know. It's truly remarkable. And what's so weird, is what we are now, the team and the program now today, first with Ian Book and now with Jack Coan as QB.... is exactly what I visualized when contemplating BK as ND football coach, pretty much exactly. I had him pegged as our future coach his very first year at Cincy, when it was pretty clear that Weis was not going to make it long term at ND. And quite frankly we now look as quietly dominant as Cincy circa 2010, even though he abandoned the hurry-up Chip Kelly style offense about halfway into his first season at ND.

But for it to take 7 years, and the whole thing is so weird, and so improbable I suppose, that it almost feels a little surreal, like a dream come true and you're not sure if it's really real or not. And this season is absolutely proving that it is legit, and solid, and we're going to keep winning.... It's not like we didn't have success those first seven years, but there was plenty of adversity and things were not going as originally planned that's for sure, even before we went 4-8. And he totally could have been fired and it would not have been shocking if he had been. Hugely disappointing, but understandable. And thank god we didn't....

I'm just hoping we can win a championship sometime in the next four years including this season. Then he'll get the statue that he will truly deserve at that point if he doesn't already.....

Reactions: IrishFforida
Yes, you're right! You and other football savants' criticism on a free message board prompted Brian Kelly to retool the entire ND football program. If you are sensing sarcasm, that's a good thing, because I am laying it on pretty thick.

What has ND won in the last 5 years other than a gimped Clemson team?

Brian Kelly has done an incredible job getting the program to its current 10 to 15th ranking but he still has yet to overcome that hump and people are way over praising the program right now for beating up on some pretty bad teams in the ACC the last few weeks

Brian Kelly has done an incredible job getting the program to its current 10 to 15th ranking but he still has yet to overcome that hump and people are way over praising the program right now for beating up on some pretty bad teams in the ACC the last few weeks

Try saying something positive about ND some time. It would do wonders for you. Five straight 10 win seasons. Going to the playoffs twice in the past three seasons and knocking on the door again. And all you do is bitch, bitch, bitch.

One thing about the BK years, which is obviously hard on me as a fan and ardent BK admirer, are the vast oceans of haters BK has within the ND fanbase. And he really truly does. BK is a first-ballot HOF coach, one of the great coaches of his era and possibly of all time, and yet ND fans in large, large numbers truly hate him, or find him unlikeable, or somehow harbor some malice and/or contempt for him. For reasons completely unknown. And I have a hard time coping with that.

I've pondered it, I've tried to understand it, and I certainly have my theories, but it will ultimately remain a mystery to me. Why a coach so awesome, and so successful, and so perfect for ND, is so intensely hated by so many ND fans.

We all know about the ND Nation board largely full of alums who have hated from the moment he was hired, and I mean real hatred in almost the literal sense. I don't know maybe Bama fans are the same way about Nick Saban and OU fans were the same with Bob Stoops. But there's a serious, vicious aggressiveness with legions of ND fans and their loathing for BK, and how shameless they are at publicly expressing it, that you can't help but be appalled by it. No matter how much we win. They just keep moving the goalposts, to the point that it's painfully obvious that all they want to do is bash the guy. And it doesn't matter about anything else...

It's definitely a thing, and I'm going to guess well above and beyond the typical toxic fandom that's the nature of the beast with everyday CFB fans.

One thing about the BK years, which is obviously hard on me as a fan and ardent BK admirer, are the vast oceans of haters BK has within the ND fanbase. And he really truly does. BK is a first-ballot HOF coach, one of the great coaches of his era and possibly of all time, and yet ND fans in large, large numbers truly hate him, or find him unlikeable, or somehow harbor some malice and/or contempt for him. For reasons completely unknown. And I have a hard time coping with that.

I've pondered it, I've tried to understand it, and I certainly have my theories, but it will ultimately remain a mystery to me. Why a coach so awesome, and so successful, and so perfect for ND, is so intensely hated by so many ND fans.

We all know about the ND Nation board largely full of alums who have hated from the moment he was hired, and I mean real hatred in almost the literal sense. I don't know maybe Bama fans are the same way about Nick Saban and OU fans were the same with Bob Stoops. But there's a serious, vicious aggressiveness with legions of ND fans and their loathing for BK, and how shameless they are at publicly expressing it, that you can't help but be appalled by it. No matter how much we win. They just keep moving the goalposts, to the point that it's painfully obvious that all they want to do is bash the guy. And it doesn't matter about anything else...

It's definitely a thing, and I'm going to guess well above and beyond the typical toxic fandom that's the nature of the beast with everyday CFB fans.
He does have a circle jerk club of emotional weaklings who constantly need chin wipes and goggle cleaners.

He does have a circle jerk club of emotional weaklings who constantly need chin wipes and goggle cleaners.
He doesn't actually. But you don't really count as a hater. You're just a general psycho creep. Like a Jeffrey Dahmer type. I don't even know why you're here. Just an internet weirdo who's attached himself to this message board, and to being a toxic ND fan. It's somewhere online you can go and not get kicked off, I suppose....

There's a few of your ilk on this board. And they don't ban you. But I'm talking about actual ND football fans.

Reactions: Quest4Twelve

And the last thing i remember was the "Kelly Critics" preening around like peacocks, literally salivating at the prospects of Brian Kelly's firing. Well, thank god Jack Swarbrick is much, much, much, much, smarter than the average message board crank. Brian Kelly a lifetime winner, was allowed to reset the culture, reset the coaching staff, reset the football program

The Results
55-9 over 5 years

Agree, but we need OK to beat OKST. Perhaps it’s destiny.

Nd is a far better team now than when they played Cincy. I think the committee may be too stupid to notice. I’d be surprised if any of them have actually followed ND this season. Instead of seeing the vast improvement, they’ll lazily read the box score and decide we didn’t play anyone good to complete the year, rather than looking at the details. Against Cincy, Jack was still getting comfortable, the OL was far different personnel wise, Diggs wasn’t a factor, TR hadn’t made offensive adjustments to maximize the talent and take pressure off the OL, Styles hadn’t made his debut, Freeman’s defense was not clicking yet, etc. etc. I would not be shocked one bit if the current ND team came out and beat the current Cincy team by 14+. I think the same can be said for Ohio State and Oregon. We laid an egg that day. The difference is, OSU, Bama, Michigan, MSU were given the benefit of the doubt in their losses and remained highly ranked, in many cases above the team that beat them. We were not given the came courtesy. Seems like some real BS that we weren’t cut some slack given our recent success, unlike U of M, who has had 0 recent success.

I think BK needs to start mentioning in press conferences that we are a very different team now than the one that played Cincy. A bit of lobbying shouldn’t be too hard for a coach with a knack for politics like BK.

Last edited:
I’d say he was wise enough to make personal changes to his approach to coaching and implementing a different culture as he has stated several times.

Additionally, I think the thing keeping ND from truly competing for a title is the inability to recruit and develop elite QB talent. I can’t understand it with NDs recent success, they aren’t even in most of the top QBs discussions.

The best teams Bama, OSU, previous Clemson teams, ‘19 LSU, etc all have elite QB’s. Who has won a title in recent history with a game manager? UGA may this season but prior to that probably Bama against ND back in 2012 with AJ McCarron.

Reactions: Golson5
He doesn't actually. But you don't really count as a hater. You're just a general psycho creep. Like a Jeffrey Dahmer type. I don't even know why you're here. Just an internet weirdo who's attached himself to this message board, and to being a toxic ND fan. It's somewhere online you can go and not get kicked off, I suppose....

There's a few of your ilk on this board. And they don't ban you. But I'm talking about actual ND football fans.
Your a 2 bit punk moronic circle jerk leader!

Your a 2 bit punk moronic circle jerk leader!
Alright, sounds good. I will continue to think of you as a genuine troll, obviously... who mainly keeps a low profile, and is occasionally charming in a sort of mentally retarded way. And hating on BK and ND is what you need to make it through the day....

How does that sound?

You really think 10-15? You could name 12 or 13 better programs? No way.

Alright, sounds good. I will continue to think of you as a genuine troll, obviously... who mainly keeps a low profile, and is occasionally charming in a sort of mentally retarded way. And hating on BK and ND is what you need to make it through the day....

How does that sound?
Kelly doesn’t need toilet paper with your sharp tongue!

No, over the last 5 years, we are the 4th to 6th best program in the country.

Get outta gere with that 10 to 15 nonsense

I know. It's truly remarkable. And what's so weird, is what we are now, the team and the program now today, first with Ian Book and now with Jack Coan as QB.... is exactly what I visualized when contemplating BK as ND football coach, pretty much exactly. I had him pegged as our future coach his very first year at Cincy, when it was pretty clear that Weis was not going to make it long term at ND. And quite frankly we now look as quietly dominant as Cincy circa 2010, even though he abandoned the hurry-up Chip Kelly style offense about halfway into his first season at ND.

But for it to take 7 years, and the whole thing is so weird, and so improbable I suppose, that it almost feels a little surreal, like a dream come true and you're not sure if it's really real or not. And this season is absolutely proving that it is legit, and solid, and we're going to keep winning.... It's not like we didn't have success those first seven years, but there was plenty of adversity and things were not going as originally planned that's for sure, even before we went 4-8. And he totally could have been fired and it would not have been shocking if he had been. Hugely disappointing, but understandable. And thank god we didn't....

I'm just hoping we can win a championship sometime in the next four years including this season. Then he'll get the statue that he will truly deserve at that point if he doesn't already.....
Serious question: You really identified BK as our future coach during his first year at Cinci?

Serious question: You really identified BK as our future coach during his first year at Cinci?
Yup! Everyone thinks I'm some total homer, but I definitely was not during years 3 through 5 of the Weis regime. I didn't bash the guy over and over again, and I don't think Weis is some sort of fraud, I'm sure he actually is an offensive genius. But I was definitely counting the days, let's just say.... And I was really hoping they would fire Weis after year four. But they didn't, and I kind of lost hope that it wasn't going to happen, that BK would take some other job. And it was very, very cool when he got the call after Weis was finally shitcanned.....

So yes, I'm totally invested in BK as a lifelong ND fan and child and grandson of ND alums, and obviously he's my favorite ND coach of all time, bar none. Sorry, Lou Holtz... And the odd career arc for BK during his time at ND, with there being such a clear distinction between BK and BK 2.0 as everyone calls it, it really is pretty incredible.

I call it surreal, but it's not really hyperbole in a sense. I'm not sure too many coaches have ever done anything like this. That far into their tenure at a given job, and reaching a real nadir and low point, and then utterly transforming the program almost on a dime, into what anyone who followed BK would have been anticipating from the start. It is a bit surreal....

Maybe that's why he has so many haters, because they had already long given up on him before this incredible 2nd act of his time at ND....

I would say that every single school with HC openings right now would take Brian Kelly in a heartbeat.

Florida
LSU
USC
Washington

But I guess the negative heaters like FOF on this thread disagree with the college football experts out there.

Reactions: thehellyousay
That's the spirit IrishFforida! Why not a NC this year? When UGA played ND in 1980 (maybe 1/1 '81) for the championship not many on UGA believed they could win - but, some of their team believed it. Now may be the time for ND to take a NC title that has been so elusive over the years. And, for the record, #6 ND knocked off #5 Bama in Birmingham that year.
What I remember is a bogus call on the punt return.

UGA won a game with 125 yds of total offense that day and one pass completion. What an awful game.

The Results
55-9 over 5 years

Well what you basically say in the results is true. But who got us at 4-7? It was Brian Kelly who hired Brian Van Gorder and kept them way too long. That was a hiring that should never have happened. It took that debacle for Kelly to understand that you can't just hire your close buddies. You have to go out and hire the best out there, something which she still hasn't done, and I'm not talkin about Quinn or Rees. Kelly also made some blunders as far back as his first year when he went for a freshman quarterback throwing to Michael Floyd, instead of kicking the winning field goal which was in the kickers distance so to speak. And also there's a North Carolina game, which was a downpour where he incessantly Call Cass place, instead of running the damn ball. And then there's the fact that we make the college playoffs but always get blown out. Now I'm not saying he's not a bad coach, he's a very good coach, and probably the best coach that we can get. But something is still missing, and it's the hump so to speak that he can't get over to win a National Championship. And that is he lacks the Killer Instinct, doesn't like to play a lot of freshmen although he's doing it this year, and his speeches but you never should be broadcast are horrendous. Sorry for any syntax errors but I don't have time to correct everything

Yes, you're right! You and other football savants' criticism on a free message board prompted Brian Kelly to retool the entire ND football program. If you are sensing sarcasm, that's a good thing, because I am laying it on pretty thick.
One of the reasons why Kelly was allowed to reset the football program and culture, was quite frankly very few coaches want to come to Notre Dame because they know they have recruiting with one hand tied behind their back. We can't do their own discipline for the most part, and they can't recruit who they really want here because of admissions. So we were kind of stuck with Kelly. Again not criticizing him as a bad coach, but there's a lot of things within his framework he could have done and failed to do initially that got us to their.

The real question is what are BK's future plans? Personally, my guess is he will play out the string on his current contract and that will be all she wrote. Which would be fantastic, I wouldn't begrudge him a thing, and as much as I'd love to have him around for a few more years, I would encourage him to stick to his plan and enjoy his well-earned retirement....

Assuming that of course is his plan, I really don't know what he has in mind to do. And maybe Tommy Rees would be ready and in a position to take the job at that point. That's still a long way off, but it's not impossible to imagine.

No, over the last 5 years, we are the 4th to 6th best program in the country.

Get outta gere with that 10 to 15 nonsense
Yes because other programs with Notre Dame's resources move on from coaches who aren't good enough to win national titles and who aren't good enough to move the needle on the recruiting trail.

Notre Dame admins accept mediocrity so Brian Kelly gets a lifetime contract and he turns out mediocre seasons relative to Notre Dame's tradition and history. If Bo pellini was still at Nebraska he would be considered having a top 5 to 10 program as well.

If you look at Brian Kelly's productivity over his tenure at Notre Dame he's never had a national title contending window, he's always had some Cinderella team that lucked into the BCS or playoff game and then predictably gets ran over by the real contrnders.

Until any of that changes Brian Kelly does not deserve this kind of topic imo

Yes because other programs with Notre Dame's resources move on from coaches who aren't good enough to win national titles and who aren't good enough to move the needle on the recruiting trail.

Notre Dame admins accept mediocrity so Brian Kelly gets a lifetime contract and he turns out mediocre seasons relative to Notre Dame's tradition and history. If Bo pellini was still at Nebraska he would be considered having a top 5 to 10 program as well.

If you look at Brian Kelly's productivity over his tenure at Notre Dame he's never had a national title contending window, he's always had some Cinderella team that lucked into the BCS or playoff game and then predictably gets ran over by the real contrnders.

Alright, alright, can you please GTFO. You're starting to get annoying. You're another member of the Jeffrey Dahmer club. Some disturbed weirdo who comes onto this ND board, while ND is indubitably at a program peak, solely to make obviously confrontational, wildly over-the-top attacks and absurd criticisms of a guaranteed first-ballot CFB HOF coach at the peak of his powers, at the peak of his success, with ND homing in on its 3rd playoff appearances in four years....

Just go, dude. Seriously, leave....

Reactions: IrishMike409
Alright, alright, can you please GTFO. You're starting to get annoying. You're another member of the Jeffrey Dahmer club. Some disturbed weirdo who comes onto this ND board, while ND is indubitably at a program peak, solely to make obviously confrontational, wildly over-the-top attacks and absurd criticisms of a guaranteed first-ballot CFB HOF coach at the peak of his powers, at the peak of his success, with ND homing in on its 3rd playoff appearances in four years....

Just go, dude. Seriously, leave....
Let's wait to call this Kelly's peak of success after a championship is won.
The records have been nice the last 5 years, but don't forget how each of those seasons ended in major disappointment. Also, a few of these seasons ended with Navy being the only ranked team ND had beaten.
I say get past those end of the season failures, then the program can be at a peak level.
Maybe, this is year it starts.

In what world is five 10 win seasons in a row mediocre? In what world is going to the playoffs two of the past three years mediocre? In what world is being ranked #5, as ND is right now, mediocre? You need to find another school to pull for which might satisfy your lofty expectations.

You sound like a moron Chase.

Reactions: DublinND
I'm not the type to toot my own horn but I've been saying the same s*** for a long time and have been proven right over and over and over again in the face of the loud minority.

Until Notre Dame can pull in a higher tier of athlete on the recruiting trail consistently while maintaining their current depth nothing is going to change and despite the really nice win-loss record if you look under the hood at the peripherals Notre Dame has never really been anything other than a second to third tier team during the entire Brian Kelly era.

But we still want to look at coaches like we looked at baseball pitchers back in the 1960s and only focus on their win-loss record when there's so much more data with which to analyze and evaluate but people here want to cover their ears and eyes and scream la la in the face of mounting evidence and pretend like ND/Brian Kelly is on the same path as Dabo Swinney at Clemson or something.

Brian Kelly gets way too much praise from a fan base who cannot see past W-L.

I'm not sure why Jack Swarbrick schedules any games vs the P5 - this fan base would apparently happily celebrate 11-1 seasons with zero victories of note for decades on end.

Last edited:
I'm not the type to toot my own horn but I've been saying the same s*** for a long time and have been proven right over and over and over again in the face of the loud minority.

What a crock. You are a legend in your own mind. You have these grandiose visions which are never going to happen. ND is doing quite well with Kelly as HC, despite what you say. You need to find some other activity to occupy your mind as you have become delusional.

I truly believe Kelly was borderline over his head when he took the ND job. But he went from wildly inconsistent coaching and meltdowns his first two years to taking the team to the national championship game his third year. Of course, he didn't help his cause any by flirting with the NFL when he should have been preparing for Alabama (not that it would have mattered). I think his performances over the next three years were also inconsistent, and I think he was lucky to still have a job after the 2016 fiasco. But he definitely wised up and grew into the position and seems to be handling the stress of the job better than anyone else who has coached ND for such a long time. I don't see him as a great innovator, but I think if he can continue to recruit as he has the past couple of years, he has put in place a system that gives us a chance of winning a national championship again -- something five or six years ago I didn't think would ever be possible again.

I said this before and I'll say it again if you're not winning national titles at Notre Dame if you're not creating Heisman trophy winners if you're not beating the best brands and the biggest names and the biggest coaches in the sport then what the f*** are you doing?

You think anybody's going to remember these B/B+ teams 20 years from now that have won absolutely nothing?

It is national title or bust and we are now going on year 13 or something with zero national titles under this coach. At no point has Notre Dame had the best team in the country or even a top five team in the country under Brian Kelly. And apparently nobody in this fan base seems to care

Until Notre Dame can pull in a higher tier of athlete on the recruiting trail consistently while maintaining their current depth nothing is going to change and despite the really nice win-loss record if you look under the hood at the peripherals Notre Dame has never really been anything other than a second to third tier team during the entire Brian Kelly era.

But we still want to look at coaches like we looked at baseball pitchers back in the 1960s and only focus on their win-loss record when there's so much more data with which to analyze and evaluate but people here want to cover their ears and eyes and scream la la in the face of mounting evidence and pretend like ND/Brian Kelly is a tweak away from being Dabo/Clemson.
Toot your own horn for spouting more nonsense? You have implied in many of your ignorant posts that ND should just drop its academic standards in order to become a football factory and allow in any athlete—- regardless of their academic qualifications. You have been told repeatedly that ND will never do that. Why do you utterly fail to comprehend that? As many others here have said, you’d be better served following another team that meets the football factory standards you’re looking for.

I said this before and I'll say it again if you're not winning national titles at Notre Dame if you're not creating Heisman trophy winners if you're not beating the best brands and the biggest names and the biggest coaches in the sport then what the f*** are you doing?

You think anybody's going to remember these trash Brian Kelly teams 20 years from now that have won absolutely nothing?

It is national title or bust and we are now going on year 13 or something with zero national titles under this coach. At no point has Notre Dame had the best team in the country or even a top five team in the country under Brian Kelly. And apparently nobody in this fan base seems to care
Again you’re totally clueless. Notre Dame will never lower its academic standards to become the football factory you want. Go root for Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT