ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Update

They aren’t taking a LB this class.
Has nothing to do with Simon.

And you like his testing numbers but not Brunelle’s who tested even higher?
When you have a potential stud you take him. They knew that last year, and took some reaches at the LB spot.

I like test numbers when you play to the numbers and the film matches. Brunelle's does not. Simon's isn't perfect by any means, but it's better than multiple LBs we took last year.

Look at Boykin. He tested unreal but doesn't play anything like his test numbers. He struggles to get separation, doesn't use his leaping ability and height for jump balls, but makes some tough catches using his long arms falling down. He will struggle in the NFL despite size and testing being elite NFL level. It's because he doesn't play to his numbers. I feel brunelle doesn't play to his numbers.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Have to agree with you on this one. Big mistake by our staff. You dont turn down top 150 players that can run at linebacker. Hes a stud. Bring him in and redshirt him and act like hes part of next class. Whatever you gotta do. Just bring him in
Clark Lea leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to recruiting.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
He was the lead for Lamb, Bauer, Simon, Ovie in 2018. That’s a really good haul.
Fair enough. But undeniable Elko played a big role. 2018 Elkos only class had 5 top 150 defensive players. We’ve signed 2 on defense since he left

50% of your players are early departures because they don't graduate.
Based on your assumptions we should be signing 30 recruits each year. Twice in the last 10 years we went over the 25 limit (2015,2018). ND had one class over 25 (2018). OSU rarely adds transfers and/or JUCOs. Urban didn't believe in it. We recruited well and Urban was not afraid to play a lot of freshman.Probably because he knew they would only be around for 3 years.

Fair enough. But undeniable Elko played a big role. 2018 Elkos only class had 5 top 150 defensive players. We’ve signed 2 on defense since he left
ND signed 3 last year. Botelho and Mills are both potential top 150 guys. Elko is def a top recruiter but it’s not like ND Defense recruiting is back to pre2017 levels

ND signed 3 last year. Botelho and Mills are both potential top 150 guys. Elko is def a top recruiter but it’s not like ND Defense recruiting is back to pre2017 levels
Nope. ND only signed 1 last year in Hamilton. And 2 this year. Looking at composite rankings

Look at Boykin. He tested unreal but doesn't play anything like his test numbers. He struggles to get separation, doesn't use his leaping ability and height for jump balls, but makes some tough catches using his long arms falling down. He will struggle in the NFL despite size and testing being elite NFL level. It's because he doesn't play to his numbers. I feel brunelle doesn't play to his numbers.

I stopped reading there. He was excellent at getting separation, check out this video:

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Nope. ND only signed 1 last year in Hamilton. And 2 this year. Looking at composite rankings
Fair enough on the composite. 4 guys were outside T150 but still T250... doesn’t change that ND is still recruiting at a high level just not as high as Wtih Elko who is a top 10 recruiter

For the life of me I can't understand the decision the staff made regarding Cody Simon... At the Opening he measured in at 6'1, 214lbs and scored 126+ on his Sparq testing. 98th percentile, or better, in each event...

As a pure Will backer, I like him better than his brother, Shayne. I don't think he has the position versatility Shayne does and I think he's a tad shorter and not quite as long, but he's going to be a STUD on the weak side, ala Te'von Coney circa 2017.

I think passing on Cody will go down as a huge miss, despite ND's numbers at linebacker... He has really good film. He tore up his regional camp. He's a perfect ND fit and now he's scoring 126+ at the Opening.

Clark Lea knows what he's doing. I'm not worried about that. But this is puzzling a pass, IMO. Kid is going to be a 235lb stalwart for the Buckeyes.

For the life of me I can't understand the decision the staff made regarding Cody Simon... At the Opening he measured in at 6'1, 214lbs and scored 126+ on his Sparq testing. 98th percentile, or better, in each event...

As a pure Will backer, I like him better than his brother, Shayne. I don't think he has the position versatility Shayne does and I think he's a tad shorter and not quite as long, but he's going to be a STUD on the weak side, ala Te'von Coney circa 2017.

I think passing on Cody will go down as a huge miss, despite ND's numbers at linebacker... He has really good film. He tore up his regional camp. He's a perfect ND fit and now he's scoring 126+ at the Opening.

Clark Lea knows what he's doing. I'm not worried about that. But this is puzzling a pass, IMO. Kid is going to be a 235lb stalwart for the Buckeyes.
Adding to this... there's three questions I have:
1. It's been said ND isn't taking Simon due to numbers. Then why the heck did ND offer Bertard and Liufau late in the recruiting process last year? They had to know that landing Simon was as close as a sure get as possible and it would have been OK to pass on Bertard or Liufau.

2. ND is not getting McMillan, Melton, Henning, and likely not Ransom. After adding Offord and likely Watts. Who else is counting towards the numbers that doesn't leave room for Simon?

3. ND has recently taken commits from guys far behind the rankings of Simon. Yes, they play a different position, but is taking a plan B/C guy better than taking Simon who is probably a plan A/B recruit? I'm very disappointed about this. ND is not in a position to pass up on guys like this.

Nobody knows who ND passed on for sure. It's all hear say/rumors. It makes for a convenient excuse when some recruit fades ND/goes in another direction. These type of rumors always seem to come out at the most convenient times. Like Shakin' said, ND is not in a position to be passing up any nationally rated players except for maybe at TE and OL.

I stopped reading there. He was excellent at getting separation, check out this video:
His opening monologue is "Why did this not show up at notre dame, the main critique of him is he didn't get much separation". That is paid experts opinions. Video pretty much proves my point

Boykin pobably ran 400 routes this year, many of which he did not get much separation. Even in the video, it's showing him NOT get separation. The video keeps replaying a few plays over and over, most of which the corner either bit or fell down to get his separation. Also, in the video did you see him jump out of the gym at all? No, i saw him fall down for catches without being touched. Now, he did an excellent job with the back shoulder throw. I will definitely give him that. Also, if you didn't Jam him at the line (very easy to do), he could beat his corner long. Boykins problem with his speed is he's a long strider so he needs to continue running in a straight line, it's easy to make him move off his line and slow him down. He played well in 2018, but not anywhere close to his combine numbers and size.

His opening monologue is "Why did this not show up at notre dame, the main critique of him is he didn't get much separation". That is paid experts opinions. Video pretty much proves my point

Boykin pobably ran 400 routes this year, many of which he did not get much separation. Even in the video, it's showing him NOT get separation. The video keeps replaying a few plays over and over, most of which the corner either bit or fell down to get his separation. Also, in the video did you see him jump out of the gym at all? No, i saw him fall down for catches without being touched. Now, he did an excellent job with the back shoulder throw. I will definitely give him that. Also, if you didn't Jam him at the line (very easy to do), he could beat his corner long. Boykins problem with his speed is he's a long strider so he needs to continue running in a straight line, it's easy to make him move off his line and slow him down. He played well in 2018, but not anywhere close to his combine numbers and size.

BUT, the big but, he made the big play when a big play was needed! At ND!

As for NFL, not factoring in his ND effort.

BUT, the big but, he made the big play when a big play was needed! At ND!

As for NFL, not factoring in his ND effort.
He was absolutely a solid WR last year and made an enormous play vs LSU. But at 6'4, 220lbs, 4.42 forty, and 44" vertical. He should have dominated. Completely opposite of dominated, he didn't even command safety help over the top.

He was absolutely a solid WR last year. But at 6'4, 220lbs, 4.42 forty, and 44" vertical. He should have dominated. Completely opposite of dominated, he didn't even command safety help over the top.

Think, if he did not make that play vs LSU, how different ND fortunes might have been! Another loss onthe big stage! It would have been cataclysmic! Granted the 2 LSU DB’s did a Keystone Cops routine - but Boykin put them in-that pressure situation.

Bro the entire point of the video is responding to critics who said Boykin didn't get separation at Notre Dame despite his off-the-chart combine scores. Not only did you quote the publisher of the video incorrectly but you are stating the exact opposite of what he said.

Bro the entire point of the video is responding to critics who said Boykin didn't get separation at Notre Dame despite his off-the-chart combine scores. Not only did you quote the publisher of the video incorrectly but you are stating the exact opposite of what he said.
OH i know what he was trying to do and show, but he just didn't do a good job of it. He had to show the same play over and over and over and over to fill the time slot. He didn't have a zillion clips to pull from. I also didn't misquote him, his opening monologue he said critics say Boykin didn't get much separation. I didn't say that was his opinion.

How many times can you show a DB slipping and call it the WR getting separation?

That 150 number is a convenient cutoff.
Nobody knows who ND passed on for sure. It's all hear say/rumors. It makes for a convenient excuse when some recruit fades ND/goes in another direction. These type of rumors always seem to come out at the most convenient times. Like Shakin' said, ND is not in a position to be passing up any nationally rated players except for maybe at TE and OL.
Yes, in a lot of cases we do know. A lot of these kids talk openly with recruting analysts and reporters. They generally will say something more scripted like, "we havent had much communication"

That 150 number is a convenient cutoff.

Yes, in a lot of cases we do know. A lot of these kids talk openly with recruting analysts and reporters. They generally will say something more scripted like, "we havent had much communication"
Yep look at Michael Redding comments, he flat out said he wanted to go to ND and commit but ND didn't respond and stopped recruiting him.

Are you disputing ND passed on Simon?

Are you disputing ND passed on Simon?

I don't know if they did or didn't. There are always rumors though when ND doesn't get a player they want "we passed" (instead of the other way around).

I guess my bigger point is that nobody knows who passed on who, and relying on PR friendly/slanted quotes in the media or ND insiders who are highly biased in favor of ND is a faulty way to determine one way or the other.

I don't know if they did or didn't. There are always rumors though when ND doesn't get a player they want "we passed" (instead of the other way around).

I guess my bigger point is that nobody knows who passed on who, and relying on PR friendly/slanted quotes in the media or ND insiders who are highly biased in favor of ND is a faulty way to determine one way or the other.

more likely the kid wanted to blaze his own trail & possibly he made that known at the start

more likely the kid wanted to blaze his own trail & possibly he made that known at the start
I would normally agree with this good of a talent, but it just isn't the case here. ND flat out isn't recruiting LB. It seems as if they won't take any LB no matter how good he is. Because Simon is one of the better ones. I would be ok with it if we were hitting home runs with our LB recruiting, but we reached on two recruits late last year.

I would normally agree with this good of a talent, but it just isn't the case here. ND flat out isn't recruiting LB. It seems as if they won't take any LB no matter how good he is. Because Simon is one of the better ones. I would be ok with it if we were hitting home runs with our LB recruiting, but we reached on two recruits late last year.

So Justin Flow would be turned away? Sav. Smalls? ridiculous!

ND my not be prioritizing LB but to say they will not accept a LB: nutso.

And ND’s LB crew is just good - not great or even outstandingly!

So Justin Flow would be turned away? Sav. Smalls? ridiculous!

ND my not be prioritizing LB but to say they will not accept a LB: nutso.

And ND’s LB crew is just good - not great or even outstandingly!
Agree. Either Nds staff doesn't like Simon or they aren't taking any LB. It's pointing towards not taking any LB.

Does Clemson land both prospects you list above? My gosh their D recruiting is nuts.

Agree. Either Nds staff doesn't like Simon or they aren't taking any LB. It's pointing towards not taking any LB.

Does Clemson land both prospects you list above? My gosh their D recruiting is nuts.
I don't agree with much you say Nasty, but not signing Simon is a head scratcher. I would've loved to be a fly on the wall when the coaches made this decision!

Fair enough. I would point out thought, guys like Simon, Murphy and Atterberry all public said ND stopped talking to them long before they committed elsewhere

I don't agree with much you say Nasty, but not signing Simon is a head scratcher. I would've loved to be a fly on the wall when the coaches made this decision!
If you start agreeing with me more you'll inevitably become more intelligent, especially with regards to sports.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Fair enough. I would point out thought, guys like Simon, Murphy and Atterberry all public said ND stopped talking to them long before they committed elsewhere

ND passed on the following players for various reasons:
Tyreke Murphy
DeMonte Trayanum
Michael Redding
Zak Zinter
Reece Atteberry
Daniel Jackson
Cody Simon
And about 3-4 DBs

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Also, if you haven’t heard, ND has decided not to go after Nixon anymore.
Long story, but it was the best for both sides.
ND really likes him & wanted to be open & honest with him.

CU won’t get either of those guys. But USC’s problems are sending elite prospects to CU-UGA-Ala. and LSU which further unbalances the competition. Helton has been a disaster for college football, not just USC! Helton= Zook on steriods! cannot coach and can’t recruit! And can’t recruit a competent staff either!

Also, if you haven’t heard, ND has decided not to go after Nixon anymore.
Long story, but it was the best for both sides.
ND really likes him & wanted to be open & honest with him.
I liked him a lot as a slot WR. I know this is ND wanting CB and him wanting WR. Makes me think NDs plan is to play more TEs and or bigger slot WRs.

ND passed on the following players for various reasons:
Tyreke Murphy
DeMonte Trayanum
Michael Redding
Zak Zinter
Reece Atteberry
Daniel Jackson
Cody Simon
And about 3-4 DBs
Yeah there are plenty of players they moved off of. I think Chase has a valid point in that its hard to know what really happened on some of them unless you are just taking a ND mod's opinion as true. With the 3 I mentioned there is confirmation from the player, not just the mod that ND stopped communications long before they went elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT