ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Update

Brian Kelly is a good head coach, he's made good changes to the program to get it back on track. He has a chance to be a great coach, and they will take making additional changes. I think his biggest room for opportunity right now (we'll see it this year) is QB development. You should get better as a QB with more time playing, that just has not happened under his tenure at ND.

I disagree 100%

QB development under Brian Kelly has been excellent, if not his biggest strength. There hasn't been a single season under Brian Kelly that hasn't produced good QB play. Not a single one. In 9 seasons, I don't know how many programs can say that.

Kelly's dealt with suspension, injury, transfers, mediocre prospects and all the other issues that could plague the position, and he's come out unscathed producing above average QBs every single time.

There's a confidence no matter what happens at QB, ND will get solid production from the position. And this is the hardest position to fill in football by far.

He's also developed some nice players at the position, and as a result of his presence, the nations best QB prospects are always interested in ND.

Golson had no shortage of suitors when he moved on, and he was a 3-4 star prospect. Tommy Rees turned into a really good college QB despite being a borderline un-ranked prospect/afterthought from the Weis' era. Kizer was developed into a nice NFL prospect. Ian Book despite his mediocre pedigree is also heading into the year as an AA/Heisman candidate.

This is not just good QB coaching, but possibly the best in the country outside of maybe OU.

Last edited:
Reactions: nemeth#5
Brian Kelly is a good head coach, he's made good changes to the program to get it back on track. He has a chance to be a great coach, and they will take making additional changes. I think his biggest room for opportunity right now (we'll see it this year) is QB development. You should get better as a QB with more time playing, that just has not happened under his tenure at ND.

Any plan is as good as those executing it. As stands, ND has an excellent group of coaches assembled.
These days, given the past season, It is unusual to have held together the key pieces 2 years running.
If ND has another big year, most likely there will be staff losses, so enjoy ‘19.

If I could change ND in only one area then I would adopt a true 5th year red shirt year rule. Just because you have the grades for grad school doesn't mean you have the desire to pursue an advanced degree. It would also give the athletes the freedom to take less hours during their season and help themselves academically. It would make returning to ND for that 5th year more appealing. JMHO

Reactions: jcswoopnh
If I could change ND in only one area then I would adopt a true 5th year red shirt year rule. Just because you have the grades for grad school doesn't mean you have the desire to pursue an advanced degree. It would also give the athletes the freedom to take less hours during their season and help themselves academically. It would make returning to ND for that 5th year more appealing. JMHO

From what I've been told if you're sitting there as a 1st or 2nd Team guy you'll be welcomed back for a 5th year.

If you aren't you won't get that 5th year which is fair IMO.

When you enter they track you to get the degree in 3 1/2 years utilizing summer classes with the understanding that even if that doesn't happen you will get the degree in 4. If you aren't asked back you can always go somewhere as a grad transfer. ND guys who want to do this will get a spot somewhere----even guys who haven't played much.

One of the things that needs to change at ND IMO is the Grad Transfer thing. We are behind the curve on that .

We are way too slow at getting guys Admission Information into Grad Programs and by the time it's decided a kid is gone elsewhere.

The Grad Transfer thing isn't going away and to my way of thinking not playing in this area is the equivalent of being a Pro Franchise and not participating in Free Agency.

From what I've been told if you're sitting there as a 1st or 2nd Team guy you'll be welcomed back for a 5th year.

When you enter they track you to get the degree in 3 1/2 years utilizing summer classes with the understanding that even if that doesn't happen you will get the degree in 4. If you aren't asked back you can always go somewhere as a grad transfer. ND guys who want to do this will get a spot somewhere----even guys who haven't played much.

One of the things that needs to change at ND IMO is the Grad Transfer thing. We are behind the curve on that .

We are way too slow at getting guys Admission Information into Grad Programs and by the time it's decided a kid is gone elsewhere.

The Grad Transfer thing isn't going away and to my way of thinking not playing in this area is the equivalent of being a Pro Franchise and not participating in Free Agency.
5th years that matter have not been turned away. What grad transfers that matter has ND missed out on because of admissions? Y’all are just making up problems now.

I haven't seen us turn away one guy of importance that I can remember. We have way more important problems to address than this

"Redshirt, in United States college athletics, is a delay or suspension of an athlete's participation to lengthen their period of eligibility. Typically, a student's athletic eligibility in a given sport is four seasons, aligning with the four years of academic classes typically required to earn a bachelor's degree at an American college or university. However, in a redshirt year, student athletes may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and "suit up" (wear a team uniform) for play – but they may compete in only a limited number of games, (see "Use of status" section). Using this mechanism, a student athlete has at most five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus becoming what is termed a fifth-year senior."

Has the new red shirt rule abolished this old timey method used back in the day? That's what I was talking about. Allowing ND players to take five years to earn their degree like they did back in the day? I thought it was still used but maybe not. It's a good thing I'm not in charge. I would probably get ND hit with the death penalty.:oops::oops::oops:

I was looking for a way to give the players more time to earn their degree and lessen the stress level they must be under each day.

Last edited:
"Redshirt, in United States college athletics, is a delay or suspension of an athlete's participation to lengthen their period of eligibility. Typically, a student's athletic eligibility in a given sport is four seasons, aligning with the four years of academic classes typically required to earn a bachelor's degree at an American college or university. However, in a redshirt year, student athletes may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and "suit up" (wear a team uniform) for play – but they may compete in only a limited number of games, (see "Use of status" section). Using this mechanism, a student athlete has at most five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus becoming what is termed a fifth-year senior."

Has the new red shirt rule abolished this old timey method used back in the day? That's what I was talking about. Allowing ND players to take five years to earn their degree like they did back in the day? I thought it was still used but maybe not. It's a good thing I'm not in charge. I would probably get ND hit with the death penalty.:oops::oops::oops:
What are you talking about? Nothing ND does or has done violates the 5th year rule. What's the interpretation of the rule that you think abolished these methods? Again, no 5th year that matters has been turned away.

5th years that matter have not been turned away. What grad transfers that matter has ND missed out on because of admissions? Y’all are just making up problems now.

Lost the Pierce kid in Hoops to UNC because we couldn't guarantee admission into Mendoza.

UNC had him admitted into their MBA Program on his visit the following week.

Have a friend on the football staff here . They don't even try.

I disagree 100%

QB development under Brian Kelly has been excellent, if not his biggest strength. There hasn't been a single season under Brian Kelly that hasn't produced good QB play. Not a single one. In 9 seasons, I don't know how many programs can say that.

Kelly's dealt with suspension, injury, transfers, mediocre prospects and all the other issues that could plague the position, and he's come out unscathed producing above average QBs every single time.

There's a confidence no matter what happens at QB, ND will get solid production from the position. And this is the hardest position to fill in football by far.

He's also developed some nice players at the position, and as a result of his presence, the nations best QB prospects are always interested in ND.

Golson had no shortage of suitors when he moved on, and he was a 3-4 star prospect. Tommy Rees turned into a really good college QB despite being a borderline un-ranked prospect/afterthought from the Weis' era. Kizer was developed into a nice NFL prospect. Ian Book despite his mediocre pedigree is also heading into the year as an AA/Heisman candidate.

This is not just good QB coaching, but possibly the best in the country outside of maybe OU.
I disagree. You act like Notre Dame doesn't pull in highly ranked QBs almost every year. Kelly did nothing with Chryst or Kiel before they transferred (both 5* recruits). Wimbush was a top 50 recruit, yet he never improved his accuracy. Kiser was a 4* top 200 recruit that got worse his second year, Jurkovic was a top 60 recruit who hasn't seen the field yet, we'll see what he does with Pyne (top 150) and Buchner (top 50) in a few years.

My problem is your constant complaining about recruiting diminishes how mediocre the coaching has been at times. QBs like Lawrence are generational type talents and are few and far between.

There are a couple of positions where Notre Dame struggles to keep up with the elites in recruiting, QB is not one of them. They get plenty of talent, QB development has been sub par at best, let's hope Book continues to improve where the others did not.

Lost the Pierce kid in Hoops to UNC because we couldn't guarantee admission into Mendoza.

UNC had him admitted into their MBA Program on his visit the following week.

Have a friend on the football staff here . They don't even try.
Basketball is a totally different animal.

I was looking for a way to give the players more time to earn their degree and lessen the stress level they must be under each day.
If I understand you correctly, Ara, you are suggesting student-athletes lighten their class load so that it takes them 5 years to reach their necessary credits to graduate rather than 4 years. So if a bachelors degree from ND requires 120 credits, rather than schedule 15 credits per semester (or 30 per academic year), you are suggesting they schedule 12 credits per semester (or 24 per academic year) so that it takes 5 years to reach 120 - is that what you are suggesting? If so, that is allowable under NCAA rules (NCAA requires SA's complete 40% of degree by year 2 and 80% by year 4) but how many student-athletes would want to voluntarily do that starting with their freshman year? Most don't want to hang around for more than 4 years unless they have a redshirt year and very few volunteer to redshirt.

Or are you saying all ND players should be forced to redshirt like they did when the NCAA had a rule that made all freshmen ineligible until 1972? In that case, if ND made a team rule that required all players to redshirt one year for whatever reason then I'm pretty sure you can see that we would suddenly have a very hard time recruiting any decent player to come to ND, right? What story could the coaches tell the recruits that would encourage them to jump on board? "Hey, our classes are so hard that we think you should plan to graduate in 5 years instead of 4." I don't think that's a winning sales pitch.

Reactions: Ara64
THANK YOU BUMP! Finally somebody who understands the english language shows up! I am talking about giving the players the option of choice. If the player knows that he'll be redshirted then let him decide what direction he wants to take at ND. I am not talking about puff courses; just less hours per semester.

I disagree. You act like Notre Dame doesn't pull in highly ranked QBs almost every year. Kelly did nothing with Chryst or Kiel before they transferred (both 5* recruits). Wimbush was a top 50 recruit, yet he never improved his accuracy. Kiser was a 4* top 200 recruit that got worse his second year, Jurkovic was a top 60 recruit who hasn't seen the field yet, we'll see what he does with Pyne (top 150) and Buchner (top 50) in a few years.

My problem is your constant complaining about recruiting diminishes how mediocre the coaching has been at times. QBs like Lawrence are generational type talents and are few and far between.

There are a couple of positions where Notre Dame struggles to keep up with the elites in recruiting, QB is not one of them. They get plenty of talent, QB development has been sub par at best, let's hope Book continues to improve where the others did not.

Kizers second year was not all on coaching... 1. the year prior he had a majorly scaled down playbook for most of the year as it obviously wasn't the plan to play him. He had a lot more responsibility in year two and forced a lot to try and keep up. 2. Not getting better is also part of opposing teams scouting of a qb as well.

Its not like he sucked the second year, the problem is keyboard jockies expecting him to win the Heisman a year after not being able to win a starting job.

Similar to Book. He was a backup last year and people expect him to be a top 5 qb nationally again a schedule that is not friendly. Thats not fair to Book. If it happens great, but hes a three star recruit coming into his first year as a full time starter. Its not coaching if he still struggles to throw a long ball.

THANK YOU BUMP! Finally somebody who understands the english language shows up! I am talking about giving the players the option of choice. If the player knows that he'll be redshirted then let him decide what direction he wants to take at ND. I am not talking about puff courses; just less hours per semester.
That would just create an even larger log jam with scholarships if ND were to give the kids more power to control their 3-5 year course. If a kid is being brought back for a 5th year it should be because he is expected to be a starter or quality contributor. There aren't examples of ND turning these kids down since BK has been here at least. If there is a borderline 5th year candidate the team has to decide is bringing in a young guy to contribute for 4 years is more valuable then the 1 extra year, most times it is. ND promises 4 years if you want it and that's all they owe the kids. The kids that are making the difference between ND's tier and the true elite programs aren't worried about 5th years.

Reactions: tbonesays

Blaming Kelly for the fact that Crist turned to goo every time adversity hit is extremely silly. He just wasn't very good at this level. stunk at Kansas too. Kiel quit because he didn't want to compete for the starting job. wanted it handed to him. not sure how any of that is on the coach. agree on Kizer. Kelly botched the handling of the QBs that year. using your logic then every highly rated kid who doesn't pan out can blame the head coach ?

Blaming Kelly for the fact that Crist turned to goo every time adversity hit is extremely silly. He just wasn't very good at this level. stunk at Kansas too. Kiel quit because he didn't want to compete for the starting job. wanted it handed to him. not sure how any of that is on the coach. agree on Kizer. Kelly botched the handling of the QBs that year. using your logic then every highly rated kid who doesn't pan out can blame the head coach ?
The zaire/Kizer was just flat out awful and was the icing on the cake to that train wreck of a season. (started with retaining BVG)

To me you see QBs under Kelly get worse as the season progresses. It's like there's no development or adjustments. Yes defenses have film, but the QB and offense has more experience as the season progresses.

The formula is out on book. We have more talent this year on O than last year plus more experience. If book develops his two major weaknesses, this offense should take leaps forward and be one of the best ever at ND.

This is year 10 at ND and he's put 1 QB in the NFL, and that QB does not look like he belongs in the NFL yet. We need to see some great QB play/development to keep recruiting going forward. I think with development, Book would be an awesome NFL backup. I think Buchner is the player that has a chance to dominate college and be an NFL starter.

B.S.
Typical ND fan sour grapes, Kiel left for personal reasons, he did not enjoy ND nor anything about the whole experience. It was not even about football.

Echo, you are dead on point on all three points. Really good post.

Reactions: Pennick4
The zaire/Kizer was just flat out awful and was the icing on the cake to that train wreck of a season. (started with retaining BVG)

To me you see QBs under Kelly get worse as the season progresses. It's like there's no development or adjustments. Yes defenses have film, but the QB and offense has more experience as the season progresses.

The formula is out on book. We have more talent this year on O than last year plus more experience. If book develops his two major weaknesses, this offense should take leaps forward and be one of the best ever at ND.

This is year 10 at ND and he's put 1 QB in the NFL, and that QB does not look like he belongs in the NFL yet. We need to see some great QB play/development to keep recruiting going forward. I think with development, Book would be an awesome NFL backup. I think Buchner is the player that has a chance to dominate college and be an NFL starter.

Hes 6 ft tall and 200 lbs with a wobbly ball when thrown over 35 yards. I think book is a very good college qb, and a straight up gamer but it is very unlikely to be an nfl backup as long as most teams only carry two.

Coaching isn't fixing his measurables, and at this point increasing his arm talent is very limited.

Hes 6 ft tall and 200 lbs with a wobbly ball when thrown over 35 yards. I think book is a very good college qb, and a straight up gamer but it is very unlikely to be an nfl backup as long as most teams only carry two.

Coaching isn't fixing his measurables, and at this point increasing his arm talent is very limited.
OH he's definitely not there yet. He has sneaky athleticism which helps, and I think he actually has ok arm strength. His problem is his horrendous pocket presence and not allowing plays to develop, giving the WR time to get open downfield and allowing book to see where he will be open at. Most of his deep passes last year were thrown without knowing if or where the WR would be open at. Hence some awful bad misses on wide open receivers down field.

Hes more 6 foot 210 now. And height isnt as big of a thing anymore like it used to be. Hes a solid athlete with good mobility. His measurables arent terrible like people would think 10 years ago. He'll be fine there

Hes more 6 foot 210 now. And height isnt as big of a thing anymore like it used to be. Hes a solid athlete with good mobility. His measurables arent terrible like people would think 10 years ago. He'll be fine there

Height isnt an issue for Russell and brees and those are two elite talents. Its In issue for most gms. Starters shorter that 6'2 are pretty rare and im sorry but that arm isnt live enough for the nfl.

Height isnt an issue for Russell and brees and those are two elite talents. Its In issue for most gms. Starters shorter that 6'2 are pretty rare and im sorry but that arm isnt live enough for the nfl.
There is a lot of trash backups in the NFL right now if you follow that league.

Also, The Athletic had their nfl qb rankings and Book was 8th for underclassmen. Not great not bad. If he plays well these next 2 years he'll have a great opportunity to make it

There is a lot of trash backups in the NFL right now if you follow that league.

Also, The Athletic had their nfl qb rankings and Book was 8th for underclassmen. Not great not bad. If he plays well these next 2 years he'll have a great opportunity to make it

I don't think Kellen Moore took an NFL snap, we'd be well to have Book play at that level.

I don't think Kellen Moore took an NFL snap, we'd be well to have Book play at that level.
Kellen played 6 seasons in the NFL and did take snaps as well. Kellen was very accomplished in college (partly bc of where he played and his coach) but Book has more talent than him in my opinion

We aren’t talking about starter in the nfl, we’re talking about backup. Don’t compare him to Wilson and brees. They are hall of fame starters.

OH he's definitely not there yet. He has sneaky athleticism which helps, and I think he actually has ok arm strength. His problem is his horrendous pocket presence and not allowing plays to develop, giving the WR time to get open downfield and allowing book to see where he will be open at. Most of his deep passes last year were thrown without knowing if or where the WR would be open at. Hence some awful bad misses on wide open receivers down field.

Do you think that might improve with experience ? Jesus

Get Nasty-----the master of the sky is falling hyperbole.

Threw a great deep ball to Boykin in the Pitt game right in front of me.

Hit Michael Young on a nice deep shot vs NW.

We aren’t talking about starter in the nfl, we’re talking about backup. Don’t compare him to Wilson and brees. They are hall of fame starters.
They are also pretty much the only successful starters or backup under 6'2

I give him multiple compliments but I’m a sky is falling.

Things just don’t arbitrarily improve with experience, see every ND qb under kelly.

I have super high expectations for book this year. But I also did for wimbush last year and book vs Clemson.

Long has said as much in his interviews. They need to push the ball better and utilize middle of the field, two things book did not do well last year.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Can only find passing chart through first 7 games to
Come on man
Im just saying height is an issue gms look at. Book should be a top 25% college qb this year. There are only so many backup spots that come available, i just dont see it for him. Back when teams carried 3 he would be the ideal #3 qb. That doesnt happen anymore. Hey if he makes it, it will mean he had a hell of a year. So ill take it, but i just dont see it.

i'm guessing that our irish aren't expecting any verbals from the 2020 and 2021 classes for a while because things seem to be very silent right now on the recruiting trail

i'm guessing that our irish aren't expecting any verbals from the 2020 and 2021 classes for a while because things seem to be very silent right now on the recruiting trail

IIRC we're in the comatose period. Oh well, it's been one of the most interesting summers since 2012.

Glad that Skoronski is going to Northwestern. He'll do well there. I thought ND might try to to steal him, but I don't really want him if I'm being honest.

You're not going to move the monsters on Clemson's, Georgia's and Alabama's defensive lines, with 6'3, 280lb guards that will be lucky to get 300lbs and try to keep their athleticism.

ND doesn't need Peter Skoronski's... They need...

6'8, 280lb Tosh Baker, a 5 star basketball playing left tackle, that projects to 315lbs, with Go-Go Gadget arms and sweet feet... A more athletic Mike McGlinchey.

6'6, 300lb Landon Tengwall, a guard who is already built like a college junior and is still a plus athlete. He projects around 315lbs, strong and as mean as they come.

6'6, 300lb, Blake Fisher, a prototype tackle that can play on the left or the right side. Kid is already mauling senior DL in camps and he's a sophomore. Easily could play at 320lbs and have the athleticism of a 275lb kid.

Kids like that are ND's ticket to elite offensive lines, not 6'3 Midwestern kids who will get WRECKED when you face the creatures down South.

FYI ... Wiltfong of 247 just did a feature article on Skoronski and his 2020 OL classmates at NU. FWIW he writes that Skoronski is an NFL center waiting to happen. Very effusive in his evaluation and corroborates with “sources.” Looks like Skoronski will be bumped into the top 50 range with a rare 5th star for an interior OLM in the discussion.

Still don’t understand why the Irish didn’t go after OG-OT Josh Priebe out of Michigan. Another NU commit. Had offers from OSU, Michigan, MSU and SEC schools like Auburn and Tennessee. Thankful you didn’t. But geez. The kid is another elite prospect with the tools of a future pro.

GOUNUII

FYI ... Wiltfong of 247 just did a feature article on Skoronski and his 2020 OL classmates at NU. FWIW he writes that Skoronski is an NFL center waiting to happen. Very effusive in his evaluation and corroborates with “sources.” Looks like Skoronski will be bumped into the top 50 range with a rare 5th star for an interior OLM in the discussion.

Still don’t understand why the Irish didn’t go after OG-OT Josh Priebe out of Michigan. Another NU commit. Had offers from OSU, Michigan, MSU and SEC schools like Auburn and Tennessee. Thankful you didn’t. But geez. The kid is another elite prospect with the tools of a future pro.

GOUNUII

Maybe he ends up being a rare 6'3, average arm length kid who is "great". I'll believe it when I see it. If he does, great get for Northwestern... Won't be the first time I was wrong about a recruit. I just don't see it... And neither do the coaches from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, Texas, etc, etc... None of those schools offered Skoronski so I'd rather be wrong about him and fall on my sword holding the opinion of guys like Swinney, Saban and Riley, rather than siding with Steve Wiltfong.

As for Priebe, he's another 270-280lb project that needs 40-50lbs of good weight before he's ready to not get his ass kicked against the type of fronts Alabama or Clemson field in a playoff game. The game has changed. The best offensive lines now feature 6'5+, 315-330lb offensive tackles and guards that aren't far behind. Notre Dame is looking for kids with elite frames (Tosh Baker, Blake Fisher, Nolan Rucci, Landon Tengwall, etc)... Kids that can carry 320lbs, athletically.

Notre Dame's front controlled Northwestern... Then went and got tossed around by Clemson. Imagine what Clemson would have done to Northwestern head-to-head given what Notre Dame did... Ohio State beat you by 21 points and called off the dogs. Clemson was probably 14-21 points better than Ohio State.

Those lineman, are not going to cut it vs the creatures from the South. You need some DUDES... 6'6 kids, carrying 320+lbs, moving around like they're 6'4, 290lbs.

Last edited:

GOUNUII
No way he goes into top 50 and he is not getting close to a 5star. Not happening

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT