ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Schedule. We in trouble

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
i know there has been predictions and discussion on our upcoming season but I have been slow on the uptake. Likely because I am so disgusted with Kelly. So I just took a look at who we are playing and honestly I can see a 6-6 season. A 7-5 season. A 5-7 season.

The best I can see is 8-4 and that is a stretch

We would have to have a lot of luck and surprises to do better than 8-4.

Hope it happens. So if we go 6-6 or 7-5. Does Kelley stay?

I say yes. We are that weak in the Admin

Can we get wins against SC and Stanford? Likely not

Georgia? Don't see it

M State? Navy? Miami? I see one loss

Some will see 10-2. Guess it's possible. Don't see anything better than 8-4

Reactions: Bodizephax
i know there has been predictions and discussion on our upcoming season but I have been slow on the uptake. Likely because I am so disgusted with Kelly. So I just took a look at who we are playing and honestly I can see a 6-6 season. A 7-5 season. A 5-7 season.

Georgia? Don't see it

I thought last season's seemingly weak schedule the Irish were going to dominate considering the 2015 season but this season could be the reverse seemingly strong and the Irish could dominate

Georgia? Don't see it

The Irish will go 12 and 0 and make the playoffs !! Matt Ballis is weeding out all the snowflakes as we speak !! Coach Elko will have complete control of the defense and the defense will be better than 2012 !! The Great and bold Donald J. Trump took the time to bless Notre Dame during his magnificent speech to congress !! Even Colin Kaepernick says he is going to stand for the National anthem this coming year !! Everyone is more patriotic since the inept girly man Hussein Obama is out of office and the Great American Donald Trump leads the nation now !!! Go Irish !!

I thought last season's seemingly weak schedule the Irish were going to dominate considering the 2015 season but this season could be the reverse seemingly strong and the Irish could dominate

DIP Semper FI !! You may be on to something. Remember in 1988 everyone said the schedule was too tough and the Irish too young. In 2005 everyone said the Irish would be lucky to win 3 games because of the tough schedule. In 2012 the same thing--the schedule was too daunting everyone said !! Go Irish !!

Ski...it is a really tough schedule on paper. Most of us here have been bitching about the coaching at ND, and blaming most of our poor play on this. Defense and special teams topped the list. Add in a dysfunctional S&C program and a complacent HC, and we got our 4-8 disaster. Kelly seems to have rediscovered his fire and enthusiasm, and he has changed and upgraded most key coaching positions, and there are lots of reasons to be excited and cautiously optimistic. obviously we need players like Wimbush to perform at a high level, our OL to play to its potential, the DB's to build on the experience they gained last year, our Lb's to excel in Elko's system, etc... All of which is very doable with the right coaching and player commitment...and I think we'll see both. The DL is the single biggest question mark in my mind, and we really need D. Hayes and Kareem to blossom, and Tillery to perform consistently to his potential. I expect the offense to put a lot of points on the board, and I expect the defense to be vastly improved, and I still think 10-2 is possible, and that would be a great success story in my opinion. Hell, my 10-2 isn't assured any more than your 6-6, so why not be optimistic and embrace the upside potential of all the good experience our young guys gained last year coupled with significant upgrades in our coaching, and recognize we have a talented bunch of guys anxious to atone for last year. Bodi thinks I'm being pessimistic by these standards, and he could be right!

Georgia? Don't see it

Bk gets fired at 8 or 9 wins. His best bet is to win at least 10 games and to be in close competition in the losses. I think this team has great potential. New team new attitude new staff basically. Let's see how it turns out.

I remember thinking the same thing before 2012.

You can never tell in March how the fall schedule will play out and which teams will live up to or exceed expectations. I don't think we will repeat 2012, but 6-6 would surprise me more than 10-2 with this team.

Why?
BK has a very solid record with first year starting QBs.
ND returns all of the studs on the OL
ND returns all of the big playmakers -- plus Alize Jones (or whatever it is now)
The defense and special teams have nowhere to go but up.

I would bet on 9-3 at this point. Which shows great improvement over last year and absolutely buys BK another year with JS.

Do we still have the same coach that represented us at NC State and against a first year coach at VaTech?

Yeah, 8-4/9-3 at best, and that will be because of Elko and perhaps BK turning over some play-calling to the young OC.

Kelly is a smoldering dumpster-fire.

If he manages to find an extinguisher, I'll give him credit, until then, his retractable leash has reached it's limit.

The 2019 schedule was just released and looks pretty darn tough. But hey thats what helps keep top recruits coming to ND.

DIP Semper FI !! You may be on to something. Remember in 1988 everyone said the schedule was too tough and the Irish too young. In 2005 everyone said the Irish would be lucky to win 3 games because of the tough schedule. In 2012 the same thing--the schedule was too daunting everyone said !! Go Irish !!

The Irish are due for an excellent season
Semper Fi brother

Do we still have the same coach that represented us at NC State and against a first year coach at VaTech?

Yeah, 8-4/9-3 at best, and that will be because of Elko and perhaps BK turning over some play-calling to the young OC.

If he manages to find an extinguisher, I'll give him credit, until then, his retractable leash has reached it's limit.

I think I'm going to take the approach coach Kelly getting it right this season. If not there will be plenty of time to blast him

Good to hear that-----holding your breath through November might be a real challenge.

Where do Irish fans get the magic number that will get BK fired? I know it didn't come from Jack. We don't know what, if any number exists. What happens if BK wins 8, including USC and/or Georgia, but the team is hit with a rash of major important injuries during the whole season? We have no idea about 2017. Injuries, player development, QB development, suspensions, transfers, key penalties for and against us, key turnovers for and against us. The ball bouncing our way. The ball not bouncing our way. It's impossible to know anything in early March about a game in mid October. In the meantime, I'm with Bodi. 12-0. Why not? We can dream. Let's enjoy life.

UGA, USC, Stanford. 3 losses. MSU, UNC, MIA. 3 probable losses. If ND steals 1 or 2 of those games without dropping games they should win, then it's 8-4 at best - which is right in line with Kelly's historical record in South Bend.

I usually say 12-0 at the beginning of every season due to ND's talent level. But, with this year's schedule and all of the changes with coaching I can't say 12-0. So, I'm predicting 14-0 ;)

This post is a dumpster fire

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Where do Irish fans get the magic number that will get BK fired? I know it didn't come from Jack. We don't know what, if any number exists. What happens if BK wins 8, including USC and/or Georgia, but the team is hit with a rash of major important injuries during the whole season? We have no idea about 2017. Injuries, player development, QB development, suspensions, transfers, key penalties for and against us, key turnovers for and against us. The ball bouncing our way. The ball not bouncing our way. It's impossible to know anything in early March about a game in mid October. In the meantime, I'm with Bodi. 12-0. Why not? We can dream. Let's enjoy life.
He went 4 and 8 last year. He will get fired for a mediocre season. Mediocre is 8 or 9 wins. Jack stated he's on a 2 year evaluation. Coaches have been fired for less. I personally think nd can run the table.

Before some of you run off BK you may want to consider the ranking of his incoming 2018 class. I am thinking some coaching consistency and top of the line athletes over the next 3 to 5 years might produce some better results.

Injuries, transfers, suspensions, off the field nonsense and of course the bad play calling. I expect all of it to improve and hopefully they get the red zone problems figured out.

Last edited:

Georgia? Don't see it

What you write is very possible but there are so many unknowns with the Irish today. Maybe the best thing is to just relax and wait.

Hard to imagine losing the #1 QB in the draft and thinking we will be better.

How could that be possible. #1?

I believe DK checked out too much at times so sometime a rookie college QB will run the selected play.

You also have Tony Pride with Adams and a line so two burners. Add in some wise recievers with more than zero catches to start a season and a weight room.

ND lost 3 games last year on piss poor calls by the refs (Tx no call, Navy challenging a penalty and the mystery PI when the Va Tech receiver had Cole's face Mask). Maybe we get one of those this year. Can't imagine 3.

We also lost another 2 games to spec teams alone (Duke and SC).

So while I don't see us going 11-, I could see a solid 8-4 or an excellent 9-3 with a first time starter but who knows. Will a cleaned up defense and spec teams keep us in gAmes and our QB follow in Rices footsteps?

Could be a fun season if you sneak past UGA.

Hard to imagine losing the #1 QB in the draft and thinking we will be better.

This is a really good point that i don't think is getting enough attention.

ND was much better than their 4-8 record indicated last year. The team could plateau or be worse next year but still finish with a much better record overall.

Things like special teams, turnovers, bad ref calls, etc. are overcome-able when you have a roster with more talent.

At the end of the day, Brian Kelly is an 8 win coach, who recruits 8 win talent, and runs an 8 win program. Surprisingly, the fan base, and ND administration seems to find this kind of mediocrity acceptable.

Last edited:
This is a really good point that i don't think is getting enough attention.

ND was much better than their 4-8 record indicated last year. The team could plateau or be worse next year but still finish with a much better record overall.

Things like special teams, turnovers, bad ref calls, etc. are overcome-able when you have a roster with more talent.

At the end of the day, Brian Kelly is an 8 win coach, who recruits 8 win talent, and runs an 8 win program. Surprisingly, the fan base, and ND administration seems to find this kind of mediocrity acceptable.
"You are what your record says you are" -
Bill Parcells

The Irish will go 12 and 0 and make the playoffs !! Matt Ballis is weeding out all the snowflakes as we speak !! Coach Elko will have complete control of the defense and the defense will be better than 2012 !! The Great and bold Donald J. Trump took the time to bless Notre Dame during his magnificent speech to congress !! Even Colin Kaepernick says he is going to stand for the National anthem this coming year !! Everyone is more patriotic since the inept girly man Hussein Obama is out of office and the Great American Donald Trump leads the nation now !!! Go Irish !!
It appears your delusions extend beyond Notre Dame football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT