ADVERTISEMENT

12 team playoff?

The field is based on opinions and biases- what’s the case for Bama being ahead of TN? If that was for the last spot? Ironically the BCS would have worked great this year but I’m coming around on the idea of 12 and think it will be good for the fan.
There's a reason Alabama is currently ranked #2 according to Las Vegas CFB power rankings. And it isn't bias.

There's a reason Alabama is currently ranked #2 according to Las Vegas CFB power rankings. And it isn't bias.
Is that you Nick? Soo Bama is the 2nd best team in the country but won’t get a chance to play for a championship?? Huh, sounds like you should be in favor of expansion..

The oldheads will bitch and moan but when the playoffs roll around next December they will debate on who should be in, watch, bet, ect... After a few years of upsets, classic games, they will tell you they knew it was gonna be a success the whole time. So my advice is to nod your head and agree with all the old men yelling at clouds because at the end of the day their all a bunch of f'ing morons that just want to bitch about something.

I think there are more than 3-4 teams that could win a championship this year, but, yes, typically 3-4 teams dominate the top of the rankings. It may be because only the dominant teams have been included for in the CFP for so long. The top coaches and top recruits follow the top rankings. The rich get richer. How many gray shirts does Bama have waiting for someone to blow out a knee or shoulder? Give more teams a chance to make the playoffs and great coaches in "other programs" like Wittingham and Fickell will get more top recruits (and transfers probably). We may quickly see 6-8 and then 10-15 CFP-ready teams. Plus, the first round will be played at campus sites so the fight for seeding can be critical. Think South Bend, the "shoe", or Badger stadium in December.

I think there are more than 3-4 teams that could win a championship this year, but, yes, typically 3-4 teams dominate the top of the rankings. It may be because only the dominant teams have been included for in the CFP for so long. The top coaches and top recruits follow the top rankings. The rich get richer. How many gray shirts does Bama have waiting for someone to blow out a knee or shoulder? Give more teams a chance to make the playoffs and great coaches in "other programs" like Wittingham and Fickell will get more top recruits (and transfers probably). We may quickly see 6-8 and then 10-15 CFP-ready teams. Plus, the first round will be played at campus sites so the fight for seeding can be critical. Think South Bend, the "shoe", or Badger stadium in December.
Please list all of the teams that could realistically win a title this season. If you get past 4 I am surprised.

The oldheads will bitch and moan but when the playoffs roll around next December they will debate on who should be in, watch, bet, ect... After a few years of upsets, classic games, they will tell you they knew it was gonna be a success the whole time. So my advice is to nod your head and agree with all the old men yelling at clouds because at the end of the day their all a bunch of f'ing morons that just want to bitch about something.

I will bitch and moan as long as I want, thank you. And diminishing the importance of the regular season is not something to be applauded.

Reactions: Classic Irish
I figured that would be the question. Seems like it will lead to a disagreement on opinions of who is "worthy" that could go on and on. To the four named by the CFP committee, I would add Tennessee and Alabama. That's 6. If there is some disagreement of opinion with the CFP regarding TCU, then 5.

I’m against it but it makes sense with the direction amateur sports are going. Between payments & hired guns from one team to the next. They might as well emulate the nfl playoffs.

I’m against it but it makes sense with the direction amateur sports are going. Between payments & hired guns from one team to the next. They might as well emulate the nfl playoffs.
They just did.

Every iteration of college football went in one direction; less like traditional intercollegiate sports and more like a professional league.

One reason I’m in favor for it, I believe there is a media/committee bias towards the SEC and blue blood programs. Hopefully expansion will mean giving the Utah, Boise St, UCF of yester years a shot..or there could just be 6 SEC teams in.

And not sure I’m buying it dilutes the regular season, Utah was playing for a chance to make the playoff, Kansas St was and so was ND probably.
Yep

I will bitch and moan as long as I want, thank you. And diminishing the importance of the regular season is not something to be applauded.
So let me ask you this. Would the USC game been more important to ND than just playing spoiler or would getting into the playoffs added more value to that game for ND fans?

The notion a 12 team playoff diminshes doesnt the regular season is not based in logic. The 12 team playoff actually makes the final weeks even more exciting because more teams and more games become so much more important. Again going back to the USC game that game would have meant a lot more to ND fans and players because that would have been our shot to get into the playoffs. Kstate's win yesterday becomes even bigger because now their in the playoffs. Utah's win becomes bigger and so on and so on

So let me ask you this. Would the USC game been more important to ND than just playing spoiler or would getting into the playoffs added more value to that game for ND fans?

The notion a 12 team playoff diminshes doesnt the regular season is not based in logic. The 12 team playoff actually makes the final weeks even more exciting because more teams and more games become so much more important. Again going back to the USC game that game would have meant a lot more to ND fans and players because that would have been our shot to get into the playoffs. Kstate's win yesterday becomes even bigger because now their in the playoffs. Utah's win becomes bigger and so on and so on

ND already had 3 losses. Three loss teams do not deserve to be playing for championships. Even if it is ND.
The more teams that are in playoffs necessarily diminishes the regular season. If you expand from 2 to 4, you are adding two teams that otherwise would not be playing for the championship. The same goes for 4 to 8, 8 to 16, or 4 to 12. This year, Bama and Tennessee would have been in the playoff if we had 12 teams. Because it is only 4, they are left out.

ADVERTISEMENT