ADVERTISEMENT

12 team playoff?

Irishjohn68

All Star
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2003
How does everyone feel about going from four teams to 12 teams in a couple of years? I think it’s hard right now just to find 4 teams worthy of playing in the playoffs.
Do we really want to see a three lost team playing for a national championship?

How does everyone feel about going from four teams to 12 teams in a couple of years? I think it’s hard right now just to find 4 teams worthy of playing in the playoffs.
It sucks! Hard enough to find 4 worthy teams.

It sucks! Hard enough to find 4 worthy teams.
Not a big fan. I doubt it changes anything as far as who wins the whole thing. Huge money maker and that's the only reason for expanding the field. Hell, I'm one of the few who liked the old BCS system. I thought they got it right most of the time. I would like to see the players get " playoff shares " for participating in extra games. Some teams could play 16 games. All that extra money generated and nothing extra for the participants ? I guess it's OK for coaches to get bonuses for making the playoff but not for the young men who get them there.

12 teams in the playoffs are too many. Four has been working fine. Three loss teams should not be playing for championships. Judging by some of the comments on another thread discussing this issue, a lot of people think otherwise.

Reactions: Classic Irish
I wish there was some way this year would be Michigan vs Georgia. Too many bad games and bad teams. Really dont need to see LSU get curb stomped by Georgia again (or maybe watching Kelly's face turn red and head look like it may pop off is worth watching)

I wish there was some way this year would be Michigan vs Georgia. Too many bad games and bad teams. Really dont need to see LSU get curb stomped by Georgia again (or maybe watching Kelly's face turn red and head look like it may pop off is worth watching)
You won't, LSU didn't make the playoffs.

Michigan needs to get past TCU first

It obviously needs to be expanded but I think 10 would’ve been the right #.

And all of you whining about it will have zero issues when ND gets in as an 8 or 9 or whatever and will find a way to talk yourselves into thinking they can win it all.

12 teams is too many. It's a bad idea.

It's a money grab. That's all
FCS D2 and D3 been doing it for decades. And they are way more of a “student athlete” model. To win a D3 title you play 14 games. To win an FCS title it’s 15 games. Not sure about D2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
It obviously needs to be expanded but I think 10 would’ve been the right #.

And all of you whining about it will have zero issues when ND gets in as an 8 or 9 or whatever and will find a way to talk yourselves into thinking they can win it all.
10 doesn't make practical sense for a playoff

FCS D2 and D3 bern doing it for decades. And they are way more of a “student athlete” model. To win a D3 title you play 14 games. To win an FCS title it’s 15 games. Not sure about D2.
Doesn't make it right. Cbb has 64. So what

Not right? D3 kids, which I coached, we’re not complaining about right or wrong when we went. They were fired up!! D3 don’t even get scholarships and many of those schools are academically much more difficult than most FBS schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: irishalice
Not right? D3 kids, which I coached, we’re not complaining about right or wrk g when we went. They were fired up!! D3 don’t even get scholarships and many of those schools are academically much more difficult then most FBS schools.
Cfb has the best regular season in all of sports. By far. It's not close. This playoff does away with that.

So you are losing a lot. Yes they'll make more money and cfb will never die regardless of anything, I just personally feel it weakens the best part of the best sport out there.

I know a lot of people who feel the same way. You don't that's fine. That's my opinion

Every game mattered in cfb. It doesn't anymore. We could go 10 and 2 and make the cfp every year now. So there is no do or die on every game like it used to be. That hurts the sport imo

Cfb has the best regular season in all of sports. By far. It's not close. This playoff does away with that.

So you are losing a lot. Yes they'll make more money and cfb will never die regardless of anything, I just personally feel it weakens the best part of the best sport out there.

I know a lot of people who feel the same way. You don't that's fine. That's my opinion

Every game mattered in cfb. It doesn't anymore. We could go 10 and 2 and make the cfp every year now. So there is no do or die on every game like it used to be. That hurts the sport imo
How? The regular season could be better. Teams won’t be afraid to schedule better matchups for fear of having too many losses. You really think anybody would want 10-2 Bama who would be in a 12 team playoff?

12 is perfect. Or at least pretty close to ideal. A true playoff would need to be 16 teams, with every single D-1A league getting a bid, which is how you'd have to do it. It's not really a playoff if half the teams in the same classification are simply getting shut out. Because that's not how it works. But this is big-time CFB we're talking about, and most of y'all are just here for the gangbang, as the saying goes. So none of you give a F about anything like that. Like making sure that every team within a given classification has their due process so to speak. That's for woke little bitches.....

And with that in mind, 12 is a good very good number. You get all the P5 conference champs, who earn their way in, unaided, no faceless bureaucrat deciding their fate. You throw a bone to the G5 and they get one, they're guaranteed at least one. So they're covered, sort of. And then you have six at-large bids, decided on by the committee. And all six of those teams will be totally good teams.

And then you can have the first round with four home games and four byes, the 2nd round with four more home games, then the semifinals, which I really hope are also home games. And the final - the national championship! - at a neutral site, between the two teams who survived the gauntlet and made it to the end. The whole thing consists of four rounds over four Saturdays, and takes three weeks to complete. Nothing but pure awesomeness.....

How? The regular season could be better. Teams won’t be afraid to schedule better matchups for fear of having too many losses. You really think anybody would want 10-2 Bama who would be in a 12 team playoff?
Because that LSU game was do or die for Bama. Everything was on the line for them. That adds to the drama.

If it was a 12 game playoff this season, that game loses its importance significantly. Who cares if they lose, they are still in the Playoff. Basically meaningless.

Lose 2 games, who cares. We'll still be in the Playoffs.
Makes the regular season games much less significant

Hell, this year there would two 3 loss teams

Clemson would be in so that ND and south carolina game were meaningless. South car didnt knock clemson out of anything. Game was meaningless

I watch FCS every week as well as playoffs every week. I have a dedicated TV for those specific games. Nobody looks disinterested. I suggest everyone give it a watch sometime.

Last edited:
Because that LSU game was do or die for Bama. Everything was on the line for them. That adds to the drama.

If it was a 12 game playoff this season, that game loses its importance significantly. Who cares if they lose, they are still in the Playoff. Basically meaningless.

Lose 2 games, who cares. We'll still be in the Playoffs.
Makes the regular season games much less significant

Hell, this year there would two 3 loss teams

Clemson would be in so that ND and south carolina game were meaningless. South car didnt knock clemson out of anything. Game was meaningless
Did you play?or coach? I’m not saying it to be provocative it’s just Because some of your takes really sound like a fan not a former athlete. I’ve been in 41 locker rooms in my lifetime. I’ve never seen or heard or thought “well let’s just go through the motions because this game doesn’t matter”

I watch FCS every week as well as playoffs every week. I have a educated TV for those specific games. Nobody looks disinterested. I suggest everyone give it a watch sometime.
So does high school football kids. Who cares. This is big boy football

So does high school football kids. Who cares. This is big boy football
Again calling FCS not big boy football. What school did you play for? You have a tremendous level of dismissal and disrespect.

Did you play?or coach? I’m not saying it to be provocative it’s just Because some of your takes really sound like a fan not a former athlete. I’ve been in 41 locker rooms in my lifetime. I’ve never seen or heard or thought “well let’s just go through the motions because this game doesn’t matter”
I played.

But my position is from watching as the public obviously. No one hear is playing or coaching any of these teams

When I play pick up basketball yeah it matters to me and I go all out to win

I'm talking about watching a sport from a fan perspective which generates all the money and interest for the sport

I go 110 percent when I play but no one cares or watches me play

You missed the point completely

I say this because I know a lot of people former coaches, teammates, etc. All played coached etc at every level from JC-NFL. Coach/coached at every level. NOBODY is ever dismissive of anyone who played football as Big Boy or Little Boy. Because it’s a brotherhood. The values are the same the grind etc.

I say this because I know a lot of people former coaches, teammates, etc. All played coached etc at every level from JC-NFL. Coach/coached at every level. NOBODY is ever dismissive of anyone who played football as Big Boy or Little Boy. Because it’s a brotherhood. The values are the same the grind etc.
Of course. I agree.

Hell, HS Football is a 365 day grind.

I like "the gauntlet" where it is performance rather than perfection. Or, some opinion on what "perfect" or "worthy" is from some pollster, sports writer, or recognizable name that happens to watch college football. The olds saying "a win is a win" is not so true when top teams schedule wins just to get to the playoffs.

Everyone has respect for them. You missed the point

It's an eye roll for me. Too sensitive. Focus on one thing to miss the big point

• Haha
Reactions: NDblitz
The entire philosophical premise that the regular season really IS the playoff, the gauntlet, is the thing. And I don't buy it. It's sort of demonstrably awful in every respect. And in my opinion CFB fans don't give the tiniest shit about the actual merits of it, but they're attached to the vague idea of it, the brutishness and the unforgiving and arbitrary nature of it, and mainly they just want to hoard the tradition. And the whole thing is really just an unfortunate accident of history anyway, with the early rise of the bowls and the polls. In hands down the most corrupt sport in American society. It's repulsive. But this is CFB we're talking about, and these are CFB fans we're talking about. So par for the course. I guess boxing could be more corrupt....

But you can make an argument, if you really wanted to, that it is a perfectly viable, well not perfectly, but perhaps passably viable philosophical basis for crowning your champion, your national champion. And I suppose it is unique. Nobody else anywhere in the world has a system this terrible. So they got that going for them.....

Good point, 30% of the regular season is filled with cupcakes for most school.

One reason I’m in favor for it, I believe there is a media/committee bias towards the SEC and blue blood programs. Hopefully expansion will mean giving the Utah, Boise St, UCF of yester years a shot..or there could just be 6 SEC teams in.

And not sure I’m buying it dilutes the regular season, Utah was playing for a chance to make the playoff, Kansas St was and so was ND probably.

One reason I’m in favor for it, I believe there is a media/committee bias towards the SEC and blue blood programs. Hopefully expansion will mean giving the Utah, Boise St, UCF of yester years a shot..or there could just be 6 SEC teams in.

And not sure I’m buying it dilutes the regular season, Utah was playing for a chance to make the playoff, Kansas St was and so was ND probably.
The SEC has won the majority of CFB national titles recently.

Of course there is a bias. The SEC has earned it.

The SEC has won the majority of CFB national titles recently.

Of course there is a bias. The SEC has earned it.
My point exactly, when the field is limited to an SEC bias of course they’re going to win the majority. I got big $ that the decade from 2024 on SEC doesn’t win the same percentage of championships as the prior decade. We’re going to see teams that deserved to be in, now allowed in.

I'm actually very disappointed. The BCS system was our best bet to win a championship because it only required us winning against one great team. The way it is setup now, we'd have quite the gauntlet, having to beat three or four great teams in a row. This expansion ironically favors the already great programs i.e. the only teams capable of pulling off such a difficult task.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
My point exactly, when the field is limited to an SEC bias of course they’re going to win the majority. I got big $ that the decade from 2024 on SEC doesn’t win the same percentage of championships as the prior decade. We’re going to see teams that deserved to be in, now allowed in.
Limited field? It was limited because frankly, it should be. The 12 team tournament is only about money, because in reality, only 3-4 teams have a realistic chance to win a title.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Limited field? It was limited because frankly, it should be. The 12 team tournament is only about money, because in reality, only 3-4 teams have a realistic chance to win a title.
The field is based on opinions and biases- what’s the case for Bama being ahead of TN? If that was for the last spot? Ironically the BCS would have worked great this year but I’m coming around on the idea of 12 and think it will be good for the fan.

The field is based on opinions and biases- what’s the case for Bama being ahead of TN? If that was for the last spot? Ironically the BCS would have worked great this year but I’m coming around on the idea of 12 and think it will be good for the fan.
Twelve teams are good for the TV companies and teams making $$$$$$$$$. No more than 3-4 teams in any given year, and that might be a stretch, have any chance to win a title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT