ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

Echo...I get this, but the issue for me is not the reporting requirements of his contract, but rather the fact he kept a wife beater on his staff for football reasons. He should never have hired the sob a second time, and after doing so, he should have fired his ass with the first hint of a second incident. The University and the fans and most importantly, the players, deserve a higher standard than what Urban was willing to accept and enable.
100% in agreement with everything you posted.

You are really straining to find a path where Urban didn't know.

One of the texts states (paraphrasing) "he (Urban) doesn't know what to do. He (Urban) talked to Zach (about the 2015 incident) and he believes Zach."

That indicates someone had first hand knowledge that Meyer knew about the 2015 incident. If he didn't report it, whether he believed it or not, he is gone. End of story.

au contraire, everyone seemed to be in the gossip grapevine. The wife was very vocal, by her admission.
What part of everyone isn’t administration?
If the wife truly wanted the guy fired, she would have gone to tOSU and maybe Meyer. It is obvious.

When she left is when she decided that she wanted him fired. But still never went to Meyer. Just the informal gossip grapevine.

Is there anything in that that is not correct?

Sounds like UM is gonna need to cut loose the wife who refused to allow him to come to ND for not informing him of this important information. Freeing him up to return to coach at ND. As I predicted 2 years ago.

au contraire, everyone seemed to be in the gossip grapevine. The wife was very vocal, by her admission.
What part of everyone isn’t administration?
If the wife truly wanted the guy fired, she would have gone to tOSU and maybe Meyer. It is obvious.

When she left is when she decided that she wanted him fired. But still never went to Meyer. Just the informal gossip grapevine.

Is there anything in that that is not correct?
she has never stated she wanted him fired. please cite the quote if i am incorrect. why go to meyer when he knew what was going on since 2009 ? you really think meyer was unaware that a member of his staff had a restraining order taken out against them ?

she has never stated she wanted him fired. please cite the quote if i am incorrect. why go to meyer when he knew what was going on since 2009 ? you really think meyer was unaware that a member of his staff had a restraining order taken out against them ?

It wasin 2009, she declined charges because it would end his coaching career. Read it. The did get help and counseling. Are you slow on the uptake? I stated if everyone knew who was there to tell.
What part of everyone is UM not part of ? And the gossip train had pretty much been in the station for years.

Do you think tOSU will offer you the job if UM leaves?

Why go to Meyer? Well then she doesn’t get to cry the blues (she has you as proxy) about inaction if all he knows is gossip and the same thing the police know, the parents....
What would she accomplish by going to tOSU or it’s rep? = Firing.
She did not go to tOSU with formal complaint.

Last edited:
It wasin 2009, she declined charges because it would end his coaching career. Read it. The did get help and counseling. Are you slow on the uptake? I stated if everyone knew who was there to tell.
What part of everyone is UM not part of ? And the gossip train had pretty much been in the station for years.

Why go to Meyer? Well then she doesn’t get to cry the blues (she has you as proxy) about inaction if all he knows is gossip and the same thing the police know, the parents....

This mess isn't about what Ms. Smith was trying to accomplish or who else was aware. This is about if Urban Meyer failed to do his contracted duties as an employee of OSU based on the OSU employee code of conduct and Title IX. If Urban reported this to the AD or someone higher and nothing further was done, then Urban is in the clear and others will take the fall for not responding according to policy. But if Urban did not report the abuse, he deserves to be terminated for cause, as he's had 7 years to report this and has never done so. Additionally, if Urban's wife knew, she should be terminated for cause as well and reported to the state nursing board.

This isn't about blaming the wife or questioning her motives. This isn't about how many people at OSU knew. This is about what Urban did, plain and simple. Everyone else will have their reckoning.

Reactions: irishalice

Simple question: do you think she's just looking for a pay day?

but report what? No one ever addressed the abuse directly to Meyer. That in fact is the crux of the matter.

Urban’s “I failed” statement is laughable. He flat out lied and in no uncertain terms. To apologize in the context of not being clear or misleading because he wasn’t prepared to talk about such a private matter is his calculated first step towards redemption, and it just might work.

Urban’s “I failed” statement is laughable. He flat out lied and in no uncertain terms. To apologize in the context of not being clear or misleading because he wasn’t prepared to talk about such a private matter is his calculated first step towards redemption, and it just might work.
If he did tell gene or someone higher up, he isn’t guilty of covering up. He is guilty of poor poor judgment by not firing the scumbag and lying to the media. I think a 1 year suspension is the correct punishment

Meyer was protecting a coach who sent texts such as this: “Just know that now… I will find you when your out. I will come seek the douche your with. I will f--- him up to the point that no one will recognize him”.

and would that be a matter you go to a football coach with? or would there be another more appropriate authority to deal with such a statement. Who do you people th8nk Meyer is? the Prime Minister?
Dr. Phil? Judge Judy?

There was no protecting, the police were involved. Are you insinuating that she could seek protection from a football coach? if so you gotta 3xplain that logic.

Yes, I bet Smith buys the farm and Urban stays through his shady reputation is past redemption unless you're an OSU fan.

How in Hades did the asst. coach get past vetting in the first place? For my job, I have to pay for background checks every three years.

Yes, I bet Smith buys the farm and Urban stays through his shady reputation is past redemption unless you're an OSU fan.

How in Hades did the asst. coach get past vetting in the first place? For my job, I have to pay for background checks every three years.
Alice, we are in agreement about everything but the punishment. Urban hired this guy, hired him again after personal knowledge of the 09 incident, and kept him on board after the 15 incident, and through the restraining order, etc... I personally think Urban should be fired or allowed to resign.

but report what? No one ever addressed the abuse directly to Meyer. That in fact is the crux of the matter.

It's kind of dumb that we focus on what HC "knew" instead of what he did vs supposed to do. Most of the time we "know" something we heard it through third hand chatter.

Alice, we are in agreement about everything but the punishment. Urban hired this guy, hired him again after personal knowledge of the 09 incident, and kept him on board after the 15 incident, and through the restraining order, etc... I personally think Urban should be fired or allowed to resign.

Oh, I am with you on the punishment though I think Smith is going to be the one to fall on the sword and Urban and his wifey comes out smelling like buckeyes.

So you agree that she never publicly stated she wanted him fired.

No reason to go to Meyer when he already was well aware of what was going on.

So now he's an enabler and a liar. Great look for OSU.

"I wasn't prepared" to answer questions at a pre-arranged press conference about a long time coach he had just fired for no apparent reason?

Now he is lying about why he lied. He thought he could just BS his way past the issue and no one would dare look into the matter.

I wonder if Gene Smith will fight back or let himself be the fall guy?

If he survives I can hear the Penn State students chanting already, Urban Liar dun,dun,dun,dun,dun, Urban Liar....

"I wasn't prepared" to answer questions at a pre-arranged press conference about a long time coach he had just fired for no apparent reason?

Now he is lying about why he lied. He thought he could just BS his way past the issue and no one would dare look into the matter.

I wonder if Gene Smith will fight back or let himself be the fall guy?

You are just intent on thinking the worst. Such thinking will rot your bones.

You are just intent on thinking the worst. Such thinking will rot your bones.

No, I am just following Occam's Razor. You might buy the "clarification" that Meyer's lawyers wrote and Urban signed his name to, but I don't.

bridge-for-sale_zpsxgherezr.png~original

Reactions: echowaker

The article clearly states that Gene Smith was informed by the police about the incident, not by Urban. Yet Urban is claiming that he informed the correct people, which should have been the AD, the TItle IX coordinator, or someone higher up. If Urban notified someone other than Gene Smith, then Smith would have been notified by someone within the OSU hierarchy, not by the police.

So based on this, the focus still goes back to Urban. Gene Smith conducted an investigation as soon as he was notified by the police, not by Urban. That clears Gene Smith, despite what the article says. There are text messages stating that Urban was aware of what was going on and did not act. We know that Shelley Meyer was very aware and did not act as well.

At this point, it's hard not to conclude that A)Shelley was aware and didn't follow through with her responsibilities and B) Urban was more than likely aware and did nothing until he was notified that Gene Smith was aware.

I'd say the best case scenario for the Meyer household is that just Shelley gets canned from her job and Urban is safe. The worst case is that both are let go.

The article clearly states that Gene Smith was informed by the police about the incident, not by Urban. Yet Urban is claiming that he informed the correct people, which should have been the AD, the TItle IX coordinator, or someone higher up. If Urban notified someone other than Gene Smith, then Smith would have been notified by someone within the OSU hierarchy, not by the police.

So based on this, the focus still goes back to Urban. Gene Smith conducted an investigation as soon as he was notified by the police, not by Urban. That clears Gene Smith, despite what the article says. There are text messages stating that Urban was aware of what was going on and did not act. We know that Shelley Meyer was very aware and did not act as well.

At this point, it's hard not to conclude that A)Shelley was aware and didn't follow through with her responsibilities and B) Urban was more than likely aware and did nothing until he was notified that Gene Smith was aware.

I'd say the best case scenario for the Meyer household is that just Shelley gets canned from her job and Urban is safe. The worst case is that both are let go.
The Coach passed the word to the higher officials, and then the position coach was quietly let go from the team. Now where have we heard that before?

The coach passed the word? No, the police passed the word to the A.D. who then met with Meyer.
So Meyer reporting to the A.D. was not a factor.

I think Meyer’s mis-speak at the media day event, was a natural response to not wishing to appear airing someone else’s dirty laundry in public. Meyer’s obligation to report does not extend to every sensational journalist.

So now that Meyer did report. The grip is he lied to the media. Well, if that upsets you then you better start recalls of every elected official in this country. And by the way indict yourself.

The coach passed the word? No, the police passed the word to the A.D. who then met with Meyer.
So Meyer reporting to the A.D. was not a factor.

I think Meyer’s mis-speak at the media day event, was a natural response to not wishing to appear airing someone else’s dirty laundry in public. Meyer’s obligation to report does not extend to every sensational journalist.

So now that Meyer did report. The grip is he lied to the media. Well, if that upsets you then you better start recalls of every elected official in this country. And by the way indict yourself.
You would be a horrible defense lawyer.

He sounds like he once was a very knowledgable one.

Echo has a point of view the is like iron, there is not other point of view. Further his point of view is unaffected by fact nor reality. There really is no point to trying to reason with such bias and hate.
He does not recognize the the other point of is a point of view not where you are at.

Echo has a point of view the is like iron, there is not other point of view. Further his point of view is unaffected by fact nor reality. There really is no point to trying to reason with such bias and hate.
He does not recognize the the other point of is a point of view not where you are at.
The guy lied, admitted he lied. The fired coach admitted he choked his ex wife twice. The journalist has been 100 percent spot on. Anything else ? All I recognize are the facts which are quite the contrary to your delusional interpretation of the issue.

The guy lied, admitted he lied. The fired coach admitted he choked his ex wife twice. The journalist has been 100 percent spot on. Anything else ? All I recognize are the facts which are quite the contrary to your delusional interpretation of the issue.
I quoted this on one of the many other threads. In the corporate world employees are obligated to report violations directly to legal and HR and bypass their superiors. I am sure this is the same in academia. If Urban Meyer was aware of a Title IX violation he does not report to the AD. He reports to the University ergo who ever is in charge of such investigation and enforcement. If both the coach and the AD were aware, both should report. If Urban Meyer was aware, reporting to the AD is not enough. This is the failure that occurred at PSU.

The entire reason for this mechanism is to avoid exactly what happened at PSU. If the superior is motivated to thwart the investigation like Joe Paterno, it ends. This is why employees like us are explicitly instructed to go out of the chain of command.

In the explicit case we are aware of an acute criminal activity we don't even go to legal. We are instructed to directly contact law enforcement first.

There is no way around this. If Urban Meyer knew about this and reported only to the AD, he failed. If Urban Meyer learned from the AD and did nothing he also failed if he is aware that the AD did nothing. The fact that nothing was happening for years is implicit evidence that Meyer was aware nothing was happening. He is still negligent.

If it turns out that UM reported to the Title IX enforcement he has an out an will only be embarrassed. Everything else it will be up to how much heat OSU is willing to take in order to keep him.

I quoted this on one of the many other threads. In the corporate world employees are obligated to report violations directly to legal and HR and bypass their superiors. I am sure this is the same in academia. If Urban Meyer was aware of a Title IX violation he does not report to the AD. He reports to the University ergo who ever is in charge of such investigation and enforcement. If both the coach and the AD were aware, both should report. If Urban Meyer was aware, reporting to the AD is not enough. This is the failure that occurred at PSU.

The entire reason for this mechanism is to avoid exactly what happened at PSU. If the superior is motivated to thwart the investigation like Joe Paterno, it ends. This is why employees like us are explicitly instructed to go out of the chain of command.

In the explicit case we are aware of an acute criminal activity we don't even go to legal. We are instructed to directly contact law enforcement first.

There is no way around this. If Urban Meyer knew about this and reported only to the AD, he failed. If Urban Meyer learned from the AD and did nothing he also failed if he is aware that the AD did nothing. The fact that nothing was happening for years is implicit evidence that Meyer was aware nothing was happening. He is still negligent.

If it turns out that UM reported to the Title IX enforcement he has an out an will only be embarrassed. Everything else it will be up to how much heat OSU is willing to take in order to keep him.

I just found this guideline stating who UM should have reported to: https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115-faq-general.pdf . Based on the chart on question 18, UM should have reported to the Title IX coordinator or the deputy coordinator. Either one would have satisfied his duty as an OSU employee.

So now we all know what he should have done, It's seeming more and more likely that the issue is going to be proving that he knew. But with the texts that Brett McMurphy has conversing with Shelley Meyer and the wife of OSU's Director of Football Operations, it's going to be hard not to say UM didn't know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT