ADVERTISEMENT

Updated. 6 ND players arrested

Worst possible assumption. Are you kidding me??? Bury your head in the sand . How did the Frozen 5 get dealt with. Nobody got arrested in that . We had 6 players get arrested last night .6! It's a big deal . The Marijuana is a real problem but the unregistered gun is the nuke. What the hell are 5 ND football players doing in car at the middle of the night in EBF Indiana with Marijuana in the car with a gun in the backseat? The ND administration must be apoplectic. They are gone .... the university is going to clean house. They must wonder if there is a football culture issue within the program itself. A former ND football player got shot and killed some months ago in the middle of the night . Now this.... it was all over the news as well. They are not going to cut any slack and go with the well boys will be boys approach . I believe Kelly is in some hot water over this with the higher ups. There has been too many consistent problems year over year. He is not going to get anymore more breaks on getting prized recruits thru admissions who are borderline. That's out the window. They are Def going to put the clamps down. I'm generally a big BK supporter but you have to wonder if his ceo approach to running the program has him out of touch with what's going on with his players. A few years ago Manti Teo told him he needed to be more personally involved with the players and less detached . Kelly has done really good things for the program but there are some undeniable deficiencies as well . One being in game decisions like say kicking the extra pt et AL and the overall leadership of the team. Kelly s approach is that these players have a job to do and know the expectations on and off the field . It's a professional approach but these 18-22 yr college kids. They are responsible ultimately for their actions but to assume that s enough based on last night and previous history is naive. We always wonder how come the team comes out so flat ie. BC gm last yr etc... I believe it's partly do to this we tell them their jobs and they know their jobs attitude .

Calm down. Get ahold of yourself. Get some perspective. Deep breaths.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I'm sure there are posters who will blame all this on CK.

If they're guilty then I hope all are suspended accordingly. Move on without them.
I hope not. I'm not a BK apologist by any stretch and felt he should have been on a warm seat going into last season. I think he righted the ship last season and definitely got me back on board.

Having said all of that, I think he's an above average game day coach. Not great but pretty damn good.

However I believe he's an excellent administrator. I doubt he misses anything and I have no doubt that at some point in that final practice he devoted some time to talking to the guys about "doing the right thing, making the right choices and looking out for each other."

Imo, these players let their Head Coach down as much as they let each other down.

How DARE they? They're given the best of everything! They're the envy of a world wide fan base! Toddlers and teenagers look up to them. Their family's brag about them. Total failure on their parts!

Last edited:
I second that!

Good grief!

OSU fans and now a Cane fan over here with comments that drive non-OSU and Cane fans crazy.

Just proves my point that Irish fans don't own exclusive rights to driving other fan bases nuts.

I just don't get why after seeing the consequences that have happened to other teammates that run afoul of the law isn't a deterrent.

I also agree with '78, fans need to wait and see what the facts are. The police reports are bad enough without adding fuel to the fire.

So disappointing. While we've been so concerned about losing players to injuries, we're now losing players to poor off the field decisions. I can't possibly comprehend D. Butler's actions. I suspect unless his charges are reduced(I think that'll be unlikely, as there were probably witnesses) he's dismissed.

As for the other 5, it's a bit tricky. All charges are misdemeanors and the cops couldn't seem to figure out who the gun belonged to. Again, I just can't understand why in the world someone felt they needed a loaded gun with them. I suspect what'll happen is indefinite suspension for at least some of the players, while the university takes 7 years to make up its mind on how to punish them.

Regardless of what happens, I really hope these players do whatever they need to do overcome this adversity and learn from this. I'd hate to be in Kelly's shoes right now. I'm in no way blaming him and I'm sure he probably wants to pull his hair out.

Calm down. Get ahold of yourself. Get some perspective. Deep breaths.
Pull your head out of your ... . What do you think the administration thinks??? I'll tell you and see if it might wake you up. They're thinking where the hell were those guys going where they or one of them felt they needed to have a gun with them and what were they planning to do!! ND was realistically looking at a 10-2 or better yr this yr. Now it's probably a 9-3 at best to a 7-5. World of difference and will hv a lasting impact on perception of program and recruiting over next 2 -3 yrs. ND can't keep allowing itself to shoot itself in foot and act like all is well. It's an uphill battle for ND to begin with. Posters on this board generally fall into 2 camps . The BK cheerleaders everything is perfect or the anti Kelly brigade where he's the worst coach in CFB. Truth is he's brought the program back substantially but can he get ND over the hump to elite status. Last night was a real setback I think that will hurt that cause . The program is starting to look out of control. Any reasonable person would hv assumed that last night would hv had the potential for problems. Friday night / last day of Fall camp completed / school a week away and first game in 2 weeks. You wonder if it was approached as business as usual at the end of practice yesterday or if someone on the coaching staff thought to drill home to these players to keep their ass in line knowing they might be inclined to blow off some steam.

Any infraction... they had an unregistered gun in the car.
They all should be suspended for getting in a car with the gun, blowing tree, speeding with a tail light out. At least 6 games for stupidity.
Get rid of Spicoli Redfield and Butler and give the younger guys a chance to get their act in gear if they want to. A year suspension for the other 4.
First we all know they are all done for at least the season. Second, I'm not just referring to this it's virtually every time (excluding the Rees incident). Look at the 'Frozen 5' at least one of them got suspended for not ratting on others. Third, we don't know if they all knew about the gun. Fourth, speeding, tail light out.. they should have to wash the coaches cars for that. Lastly, pot 2 game suspension.

Like I said, it's ND and we all know none of them will be playing this season.

Six Notre Dame football players arrested in two separate incidents
6+Notre+Dame+players+arrested.jpg

Contrary to the earlier post by someone about guys smiling in their mugshots, I don't see that at all. Of the five from the car, I see one that looks ashamed, three that look scared, and one that looks stoned.

Pull your head out of your ... . What do you think the administration thinks??? I'll tell you and see if it might wake you up. They're thinking where the hell were those guys going where they or one of them felt they needed to have a gun with them and what were they planning to do!! ND was realistically looking at a 10-2 or better yr this yr. Now it's probably a 9-3 at best to a 7-5. World of difference and will hv a lasting impact on perception of program and recruiting over next 2 -3 yrs. ND can't keep allowing itself to shoot itself in foot and act like all is well. It's an uphill battle for ND to begin with. Posters on this board generally fall into 2 camps . The BK cheerleaders everything is perfect or the anti Kelly brigade where he's the worst coach in CFB. Truth is he's brought the program back substantially but can he get ND over the hump to elite status. Last night was a real setback I think that will hurt that cause . The program is starting to look out of control. Any reasonable person would hv assumed that last night would hv had the potential for problems. Friday night / last day of Fall camp completed / school a week away and first game in 2 weeks. You wonder if it was approached as business as usual at the end of practice yesterday or if someone on the coaching staff thought to drill home to these players to keep their ass in line knowing they might be inclined to blow off some steam.

Calm down. Take your meds. Deep breaths.

Get rid of all the scumbags.
None of them are needed. It opens up more scholarships next year. We don't need this element here. This is why we get beat by the Northwesterns, Louisvilles, and struggle with Navy.

It is NOT why we lost to Northwestern or Louisville, and most definitely NOT why we struggle with Navy, but if serves your agenda, have at it.

Obviously it doesn't work this way, but it's unfortunate these kids won't stand trial in front
of a Louisiana judge who will let them fly because "they chose to sweat".

ND is still a 10 or 11 win team. Redfield was worthless, and would've been a below average starter (like he's been his whole career). The rest were simply going to provide depth. Next men up.

Reactions: Pennick44
Says the guy who's concerned with what ND fans think and took the time to visit an ND chat board. Nope, not obsessed at all.

And no understanding of irony apparently.

I well understand irony and also well understand karma - you guys just got a big dose of karma. I have no clue whatsoever where you got the idea that I care what ND fans think. I came on your board out of curiousity and a little boredom to see how you, as fans, were handling the fact that you had six (6) players arrested in one night! Wow, I am sure that has beat our record. For many, many years, a plethora of your fans have referred to our players as convicts and thugs,(remember the "Catholics vs. Convicts") so perhaps now you understand the irony and karma of the events of last night. So, maybe this year some of your enterprising students can design some "convicts vs. convicts" shirts. Hey, I am not knocking it, we all have some players who make stupid choices.

I well understand irony and also well understand karma - you guys just got a big dose of karma. I have no clue whatsoever where you got the idea that I care what ND fans think. I came on your board out of curiousity and a little boredom to see how you, as fans, were handling the fact that you had six (6) players arrested in one night! Wow, I am sure that has beat our record. For many, many years, a plethora of your fans have referred to our players as convicts and thugs,(remember the "Catholics vs. Convicts") so perhaps now you understand the irony and karma of the events of last night. So, maybe this year some of your enterprising students can design some "convicts vs. convicts" shirts. Hey, I am not knocking it, we all have some players who make stupid choices.

Ohio 1980, please note. Here again is a Cane fan with comments that non-Cane fans find annoying.

Cane, don't you think you're risking karma by chastising Irish fans? Unfortunately, there's a lot of arrests of college football players these days, I sure don't comment on rival sites about their program's problems. #don'tbethatblowhard

somebody posted on another free irish board that mods over at ISD are saying that this basically isn't as bad as it seems. Kelly's presser on this should be interesting

1. Welcome to the board.
2. I believe 5 out of 6 were cited based on the same incident. It's not as if there was 5 different situations. That doesn't excuse the players stupidity but I wanted to make sure you were aware.
3. I don't believe any ND fan truely thinks Miami of today is anywhere close to the program they were in the past when they seemed to have a lot of off the field problems. I don't know though as I don't really follow off the field things as much as I did in the past. In other words, I don't recall seeing anything about negative about Miami on this board.
4. Good luck to Miami in their opener.

I have no clue whatsoever where you got the idea that I care what ND fans think. I came on your board out of curiousity and a little boredom to see how you, as fans, were handling the fact that you had six (6) players arrested in one night!

"I don't care what ND fans think. But I came here out of curiosity to see what ND fans think."
Nope, no contradiction here...

Anybody know if Ryan Lochte was hanging out in South Bend last night with ND football players? Just saying. Pissing me off!

Anybody know if Ryan Lochte was hanging out in South Bend last night with ND football players? Just saying. Pissing me off!

I blame NDA and Decker. These players read their exchange and got a headache only weed could kill. They then knew they were heading towards the board's cyborg and decided to arm themselves. Actually, most of the team arms itself due to argus....

PS I'm guessing that the guy with the gun gets suspended/dismissed along, perhaps, with those with knowledge of said weapon... The weed is survivable...

Reactions: echowaker
There really isn't any question. They're all done for the year. The person or persons who actually get gun charges may be gone for good. I imagine this is it for Max and to be honest it may be the best for the team. No excuse for any of this, but he's an upperclassmen.

The gun thing may involve some misunderstanding about how to defend Texas's Veer-and-Shoot offense.

The difference is this: Cane fans hope their arrested players will continue to play. ND fans want these guys out, period. And, it wouldn't matter to me who they were, or where they are in the depth chart.

somebody posted on another free irish board that mods over at ISD are saying that this basically isn't as bad as it seems. Kelly's presser on this should be interesting

The article I read on ISD that said it wasn't as bad as it seems was talking about these guys being replaceable. It wasn't addressing what actually happened.

Reactions: irishalice
Max Redfield & Devin Butler are both key veterans in the secondary (a position group already lacking much veteran talent)

Losing both of those guys plus Tevon Coney (the 3rd best LB on the team) -- days before game prep for Tex -- is debilitating to the defense/program as a whole.

For all the talk of our super high standard admissions, these types of arrests/cheating/suspensions/etc. (misc. off the field distractions) have been an all-too-regular occurrence during the BK era. You can only continue to blame the players/athletes for this type off acting out so many times before the finger gets pointed directly at the leadership of the program.

This actually has been going on for some time. The difference is in the past it would be a single player getting in trouble, now it's a half dozen here, a half dozen there.

And I guess you think we care what a Cane fan thinks!:rolleyes:

To me it's very simple. You throw each and every one of these men out of the University. Here is my reasoning.

Butler-Arrested for battery and resisting arrest. He's gone.

The other 5-there was one gun and some weed in the car. Whether the gun and weed was the possession of one of these five does not matter to me. You would be absolutely blind to believe that all five of these men did not know that the weed and more importantly LOADED GUN were not inside the vehicle. This to me makes all of them guilty whether they are all charged with it or not. They all put themselves in this position being fully aware of what was going on inside that car and therfore in my opinion should all be released from the University.

We as ND fans always jump on other programs for not being harsh on players. It has now happened to us and there should be no leniency. Move on from all involved. Next man up!!! Go Irish!!!

They will all be gone. Such a pathetic situation.

I have always said that Tommy should have been off the team after it happened. Also thought Floyd should have had a stiffer suspension.

You should be held accountable for your actions. But not every action should be reason for total explosion.
tommy turnover had a rich daddy so he got off. These boys prob not in same situation. you clowns that are talking kick them out of school for smoking weed are totally clueless. I guess we ought to execute all of them. the horror, my gosh a 21 yr old kid smoking pot. lock him up. I agree they are idiots for what they did, but you morons who want them tar and fettered need to get into the year 2016. this isnt the 1950's

Reactions: justacollegefan
Truth be told if this was almost any other school, they might miss the first half of the opener

I think Butler would be in hot water just about anywhere. As to the others, I'd imagine the gun charge plus pot would get result in a couple of games suspension, but not a season, which will probably happen at ND.

Mug Shot- How stupid 3 or 4 of these kids are wearing ND If you are going to screw the pooch, take off the animal control uniform

Redfield - clearly has consistently demonstrated he has no clue on or off field takes mandarin Chinese but has no common sense

All should be ashamed

Before we paint them all with same brush, remember this is what kids do every day, everywhere You shoot them and it sends a signal to recruits everywhere that ND is not in the real world

Hopefully it get sorted out with some common sense

If any of these guys are in the car and not smoking weed and they get expelled from school, I sue Bad judgment yes, being kids, yes. lets see what happens hopefully ND does not have its head up its butt regarding mary jane

tommy turnover had a rich daddy so he got off. These boys prob not in same situation. you clowns that are talking kick them out of school for smoking weed are totally clueless. I guess we ought to execute all of them. the horror, my gosh a 21 yr old kid smoking pot. lock him up. I agree they are idiots for what they did, but you morons who want them tar and fettered need to get into the year 2016. this isnt the 1950's
Quite honestly, I have zero interest in pot; all kids do it. So what. But my overall take is, let the facts come put, don't prejudge, and in the end these kids should be treated fairly, that is say, like any other student at ND. They knew/know the rules and expectations, and actions have consequences.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Quite honestly, I have zero interest in pot; all kids do it. So what. But my overall take is, let the facts come put, don't prejudge, and in the end these kids should be treated fairly, that is say, like any other student at ND. They knew/know the rules and expectations, and actions have consequences.

Actually, all kids don't do it. Current research puts it at about 20% of teens, which is actually lower than it was 15 years ago when it about 25%. Seems to be slowly on the decline.

I agree that the administration needs to gather facts and be fair. There's no need to rush to judgment on the weed issue. IMO, there should be some urgency in sorting out the gun issue. And the Linebacker incident reports refer to a player allegedly shoving a girl before punching a cop. I would expect there to be witnesses as to what did or didn't happen with that.

Regardless of what the administration does, its going to be an ugly narrative that follows the team this season as long as they are winning.

Sucks.

I've been a ND fan my entire life. I said it here before and I'll say it again. If I were offered Stanford, UCLA, or ND, I'd pick Stanford or UCLA.

Indiana has the most draconian MJ laws in the country. These guys were in jail for misdemeanor MJ possession. Stanford, UCLA, and usc will use this against ND in recruiting. Poor old Greg Bryant should have gone to UCLA. Might still be alive today.
What an incredibly insensitive and out of touch post. I hope you've reconsidered and I missed it.

Reactions: justacollegefan
I've been a ND fan my entire life. I said it here before and I'll say it again. If I were offered Stanford, UCLA, or ND, I'd pick Stanford or UCLA.

Indiana has the most draconian MJ laws in the country. These guys were in jail for misdemeanor MJ possession. Stanford, UCLA, and usc will use this against ND in recruiting. Poor old Greg Bryant should have gone to UCLA. Might still be alive today.
Pretty sure you would never have been offered at a school like ND.

Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT