ADVERTISEMENT

Updated. 6 ND players arrested

Max Redfield & Devin Butler are both key veterans in the secondary (a position group already lacking much veteran talent)

Losing both of those guys plus Tevon Coney (the 3rd best LB on the team) -- days before game prep for Tex -- is debilitating to the defense/program as a whole.

For all the talk of our super high standard admissions, these types of arrest/off the field distractions have been happening throughout the BK tenure. You can only continue to blame the players/athletes for this type off acting out so many times before the finger gets planted squarely on the leadership/recruiting/vetting process.
Yeah A**h*le, blame the coach. What a douchebag you are. It's called accountability, if guilty they should get what they deserve. Coach isn't a nurse maid, and these are all young adults. Accountability!!!!!

Maybe we should just let the facts play out. If guilty, there gone, next man in. ND is not gonna, nor should it, change for these idiots ( idiots assuming they are guilty ). Also, if true, gotta be most dissappointment in MR. Kid is suppose to be an upperclassmen, with tremendous talent, and smart. If true, it appears the latter is not true at all.

I'm more on this idea.

There are a lot of facts to play out here.
Butler - even if they reduce the charges it is better to just be rid of him. If he was charged with assault of officer it is just the wrong signal to make public

With the other 5 they are going to assign the gun charge to someone. Indiana default will be the owner of the veh. Until someone steps up. And hopefully someone does. The weed charges are troublesome but not surprising. It's college kids smoking weed, we see it a thousand times a year. Yes it is illegal and yes they should be in trouble for it, but I don't know if you kick them off campus for it. Perception of weed today vs just 10 years ago, let alone 20, 30 or 50 years ago is vastly different.

There are more facts to come to the surface on this one. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: zonairish
Max Redfield & Devin Butler are both key veterans in the secondary (a position group already lacking much veteran talent)

Losing both of those guys plus Tevon Coney (the 3rd best LB on the team) -- days before game prep for Tex -- is debilitating to the defense/program as a whole.

For all the talk of our super high standard admissions, these types of arrests/cheating/suspensions/etc. (misc. off the field distractions) have been an all-too-regular occurrence during the BK era. You can only continue to blame the players/athletes for this type off acting out so many times before the finger gets pointed directly at the leadership of the program.
Just as I predicted. Blame it on CK and not on the players themselves.

Chase, do you expect him to be with every player at all times? This happens at every program if you follow College Football closely.

Do you recall all the "distractions" while Holtz was coaching at ND? Was he to blame for that as well?

but IF any of them got into that car knowing of the weed or the gun, do you really want them on your team?
could you ever trust them when the going got tough? It seems more a matter of trust in the end, as far as team/football goes.

This is not debilitating. This is a positive getting the losers off the team. I say drug test everyone. Then set an 11:00 pm curfew. If anyone violates it then kick them off. Free education and free tutoring and free gourmet meals should only be for players who do the right things.

Reactions: perseverare
Just as I predicted. Blame it on CK and not on the players themselves.

Chase, do you expect him to be with every player at all times? This happens at every program if you follow College Football closely.

Do you recall all the "distractions" while Holtz was coaching at ND? Was he to blame for that as well?

bille
question for you: have you ever commented on issues where any other coach was involved?
Meyer? Jimbo? Saban? Putino? coaches at Louiville or Neb. or
Have you ever commented on their 'team control'? Never?
Seems to me this board has had some posts over the years. So my guess is that there will be comments here and on other team forums.
BUT: how it is handled is where the separation is made!

but IF any of them got into that car knowing of the weed or the gun, do you really want them on your team?
could you ever trust them when the going got tough? It seems more a matter of trust in the end, as far as team/football goes.

They made their bed. I would say that there was a 90% chance all of them in the veh were aware of the weed in the car. I would guess more than 1 of them has had casual use of the drug since arriving in SB. As far as the gun. That is a little different. I would still give odds that everyone in the car knew it was there. And yes the gun charge is a big deal. And should be treated as such. I'm of the belief that the weed should come with a suspension. But I don't know if I march them off the campus for the weed. It just doesn't strike me as much of a career ending issue. To me it right up there with underage drinking or some other minor violation.

havent seen it on here, but 5 more players were arrested for marijuana and gun poessession charges. Redfield, Stepherson, Coney, Dexter Williams, Ashton White.

Good to see the boys handling their 1st night off after camp so well.

When will these kids learn??? Simply dumb-asses!

Reactions: irishalice
You have got to be kidding me. SO stupid. I'd kick Max off the team for sure. Not like he's a first time offender. Good riddance.

For all the talk of our super high standard admissions, these types of arrests/cheating/suspensions/etc. (misc. off the field distractions) have been an all-too-regular occurrence during the BK era. You can only continue to blame the players/athletes for this type off acting out so many times before the finger gets pointed directly at the leadership of the program.
This might be the dumbest post I have ever read by you and that is saying alot. Captain Clueless.

Program control is not If it happens, all these kids at all these programs are smoking weed. It is what happens after. ND will sit these kids for the year for the MJ and gun stupidity. Saban and Meyer would have them running steps. That is the difference and that is why most of us cheer for ND.

Reactions: Bodizephax
^ P44 do you ever have a thought? I mean on the topic? I think all you have is a book of dumb smart ass comments? Or maybe you have 'be a dickhead hotline' on speed dial?

how about you try? say something on topic we can trash your thinking about! (ps: tools required: a brain)

Reactions: ohio1980
Keep in mind guys. He was buried in the depth chart before injuring his foot. And most likely thought he wasn't seeing the field this year anyhow.

That said if he did assault an officer. Take his number. Get him off campus and give the free ride to someone with more respect for police.
So throwing Devin off the team is ok but keeping Tommy Rees was not a problem. I see where you might also want Coney,Redfield,Williams and Stepherson thrown off too with a concealed weapon. I don't think I'd go out on a limb with your surmise.Devin needs year suspension,the others 2 games including White ,whom I left out.Hell, Urban and Jimbo wouldn't even do that.

anymore without protection against

Reactions: ohio1980
Program control is not If it happens, all these kids at all these programs are smoking weed. It is what happens after. ND will sit these kids for the year for the MJ and gun stupidity. Saban and Meyer would have them running steps. That is the difference and that is why most of us cheer for ND.
Old school is why ND is where it's at today. Gun charges more of a concern than pot. Butler needs year suspension. I bet all of you were saints in your younger days too.

Really, throw them all out of school/fb program for having weed in the car? Are you clowns serious? Only one gun and the kid will fess up. Breaking news, this just in, a lot of college kids smoke pot. Get off the high horse.

Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs
The University prohibits the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated or impaired. Any person doing so exhibits wanton disregard for the rights and safety of others.

For purposes of this policy, “driving under the influence” is defined as a situation in which the operator of any motorized vehicle is determined by admission, by testing for blood alcohol content or by commonly accepted behavioral observations (e.g., slurred speech, staggering, etc.), to be driving such vehicle after having consumed alcoholic beverages or ingested other drugs or legally controlled substances to a degree that has altered, inhibited or impaired the student’s ability to think and/or act.

Students found responsible for a violation of this policy may face Conduct Process Outcomes up to and including dismissal from the University.

When an incident results in serious injury or harm to another, the University reserves the right to take additional action, including the possibility of dismissal from the University as outlined in Emergency Actions.

Depending upon the circumstances, violations of these behavioral standards will call into question a student’s continued full participation in the University community.

• Unauthorized possession of explosives, incendiary devices, firearms or other weapons
  • whether the conduct has a negative impact on the University community or interferes with the pursuit of Notre Dame’s mission
  • whether the conduct has a negative impact on the local community.
In addition to complying with the University’s standards of conduct, policies, procedures and regulations, students are expected to abide by local, state and federal law. Students may be accountable to criminal authorities and to the University for acts that violate local, state or federal laws, and they can be referred to the University Conduct Process concurrent with criminal action.

As a general rule, the University Conduct Process will proceed normally during the pendency of a criminal action. The University operates under different policies, procedures and standards, and therefore it is not necessarily bound by the findings of a court of law.

If a student is charged with a felony, the University, through the Office of Student Affairs or the Office of Community Standards, reserves the right to take summary action and temporarily dismiss the student. Similarly, the University may take summary action to temporarily or permanently dismiss any student convicted of a felony (see Emergency Actions).

Drugs and Controlled Substances
Students found responsible for possession or use of illegal drugs or controlled substances, the unauthorized possession or misuse of prescription drugs, or the possession of drug paraphernalia may face dismissal from the University. Students found responsible for distribution of illegal drugs and substances, including the illicit redistribution of prescription drugs, may face permanent dismissal from the University.

ABOUT THE EXPECTATION OF RESPONSIBILITY
The health, safety, and well-being of individuals should be paramount concerns of all members of the Notre Dame community. As such, Notre Dame students are expected to exercise active care and concern and contact appropriate authorities in the event of any health or safety emergency, even if violations of the University’s alcohol policy and/or controlled substances policy (as outlined above) may have occurred in connection with such an emergency.

Because students’ concern of possible disciplinary action may unnecessarily deter their desire to seek medical attention for themselves or others, the University has adopted an Expectation of Responsibility to remove barriers for students seeking medical attention in alcohol and drug-related incidents. This Expectation is intended to create an environment where students receive necessary medical attention and those involved are provided an opportunity to learn from the incident.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

Who determined coney was 3rd best ?

So in your mind then the Kim Dunbar affair was totally Lou holtzs fault.

Old school is why ND is where it's at today. Gun charges more of a concern than pot. Butler needs year suspension. I bet all of you were saints in your younger days too.
Agree with this. Everyone makes the suggestion that you can either be O$U or ND and that here is in between.

We make it impossible recruit 85 elite football players. Then we make it impossible to develop them to the degree Bama and O$U do. Then we kick them out or suspend them for the season for any infraction.

It's not 1955 and the rest of the world isn't going to change for ND.

Reactions: chitown sot
So throwing Devin off the team is ok but keeping Tommy Rees was not a problem. I see where you might also want Coney,Redfield,Williams and Stepherson thrown off too with a concealed weapon. I don't think I'd go out on a limb with your surmise.Devin needs year suspension,the others 2 games including White ,whom I left out.Hell, Urban and Jimbo wouldn't even do that.

Let the facts surface, and apply the same rules that would be applied to any other student at ND. that's the deal, and as it should be

Reactions: mikenavarro
I know A LOT of young athletes have a difficult transition but if they can get over that first/second season hump without quitting/getting trouble/flunking out, they usually grow into very mature/educated/well spoken young leaders. Very surprised to see after nearly 4 years in the program that didn't happen with Redfield.

Yep. Gotta think they'll be gone. A lot of things can be bargained away but having a gun is having a gun. Saw the mug shots by a poster. Have no idea what they are all smiling about. Great weed probably. I would guess those silly grins are gone today.

^ P44 do you ever have a thought? I mean on the topic? I think all you have is a book of dumb smart ass comments? Or maybe you have 'be a dickhead hotline' on speed dial?

how about you try? say something on topic we can trash your thinking about! (ps: tools required: a brain)
If he makes 27000 more inane posts he will overtake you as the biggest dope on the board.

who all on the site went to notre dame. i'm only asking because a caller on the college sports nation channel on Sirius xm radio was talking about being a grad of nd and saying that nd has a process called dulock or something like that and that everyone of these players will be kicked off the team but are fighting this just to stay in school though. does any nd grad out there know what he means when he mentioned dulock

It s call Du Lac, that's French, it means of the lake.
As in L'Universite de Notre Dame du Lac, or loosely translated the University of Our Lady of the Lake

Not to mention Jones which makes 7 most likely not playing at this year for sure.

I don't know all the details about due process regarding staying in or out of school. However, all these players need to be removed from the ND football team now, no discussions. Just do it. Please God, just do it. And, if anyone protests; shut the whole D
program down. I don't care anymore. Something has to be done to choke off the entailment mentality running rampant in this society. I have been a high school teacher for many years, in a high school that has sent many players on to elite programs and the pros; I have seen this bs over and over and over again. I am tired of the jockocracy at all levels. Maybe in a new thread I will post all of the nonsense I have seen.
The rant felt good. But, when I opened up the board this morning and read the headline,
I started to kick everything in sight.

To me it's very simple. You throw each and every one of these men out of the University. Here is my reasoning.

Butler-Arrested for battery and resisting arrest. He's gone.

The other 5-there was one gun and some weed in the car. Whether the gun and weed was the possession of one of these five does not matter to me. You would be absolutely blind to believe that all five of these men did not know that the weed and more importantly LOADED GUN were not inside the vehicle. This to me makes all of them guilty whether they are all charged with it or not. They all put themselves in this position being fully aware of what was going on inside that car and therfore in my opinion should all be released from the University.

We as ND fans always jump on other programs for not being harsh on players. It has now happened to us and there should be no leniency. Move on from all involved. Next man up!!! Go Irish!!!

Agree with this. Everyone makes the suggestion that you can either be O$U or ND and that here is in between.

We make it impossible recruit 85 elite football players. Then we make it impossible to develop them to the degree Bama and O$U do. Then we kick them out or suspend them for the season for any infraction.

It's not 1955 and the rest of the world isn't going to change for ND.
Any infraction... they had an unregistered gun in the car.
They all should be suspended for getting in a car with the gun, blowing tree, speeding with a tail light out. At least 6 games for stupidity.
Get rid of Spicoli Redfield and Butler and give the younger guys a chance to get their act in gear if they want to. A year suspension for the other 4.

I have always said that Tommy should have been off the team after it happened. Also thought Floyd should have had a stiffer suspension.

You should be held accountable for your actions. But not every action should be reason for total explosion.

Very stark contrast between the ND fans here and how Alabama fans handled two of their players doing the exact same thing (Cam Robinson, Hootie Jones).

Their comments, which Saban agreed with, were to give the kids a slap on the wrist but not make them lose a minute of playing time. The opening game is a tough one and without Cam Robinson, they might lose. The kids got to ride around in police cars for a few hours in their spare time over the summer, attend a couple of lectures, and take a blood test or two. That was it. Winning was the only consideration.

Here, in spite of the game with Texas at the doorstep, you guys want to either suspend or dismiss the players that are letting down the team, the school and the fans.

Impressive. Two very different fan bases.

Reactions: captstabbin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT