ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Hartman - Opting out of Sun Bowl

Honestly, I don't think they really care. There might be a few hard-core dudes that get bothered by it. But by and large I truly don't think they care at all, and have no reaction. That would be my guess. Other than, they wish they were in the shoes of the players that are gonna get drafted, and hope to be in that position themselves one day...
Exactly my point. Individual players have too much of their own stuff to worry about than to get worked up over a teammate deciding to focus on their next step. I think this narrative is driven by guys that played high school football, but weren't good enough to play college. Some of those guys want to have this hardcore "for the team" attitude. The reality for them is that they just didn't have the skill to match the passion.

Can't blame him. Particularly since his 2 starting tackles will not be playing

Can't blame him. Particularly since his 2 starting tackles will not be playing
I can't blame him, even if they were both playing. The season didn't go as he and the team were hoping when he transferred. There is 0 upside to him playing. All he would be doing is risking injury with no hope of improving his draft stock.

Reactions: geisha
“The point is that THEY ARE IN SUPPORT OF THEIR TEAMMATES rather than being mad that they are opting out. They are happy for their teammates because many of them hope to make it to the league themselves. Some players know that the NFL isn't a possibility and it's ok. The rest of the players are just working toward their chance.”

1.7 % of college players make it to the nfl. So you may be right that a small, minute portion has those feelings, but to try and convince all of us that all the players don’t care when the star player opts out is a huge stretch. And just ftr, I understand the risks (even though plenty of players have gotten hurt and played long nfl careers, a la Willis McGahee). Even Jaylon played and made millions. Could he have made more? No doubt. But this idea that a player is risking his career by playing is a bit overblown because there’s a very small chance of a career ending injury to happen. So while I understand opting out, please don’t try and peddle this BS that their teammates don’t care.
Exactly

Reactions: Pennick4
.” I think this narrative is driven by guys that played high school football, but weren't good enough to play college. Some of those guys want to have this hardcore "for the team" attitude. The reality for them is that they just didn't have the skill to match the passion”

It’s not hard to understand. Some players are pissed that the stars are opting out only for their own selfish desire to win. They can understand the reasoning behind opting out while still be disappointed in their teammate. One can also argue that the potential draft pick was part of a team that helped him garner that draft pick potential. You don’t think there’s any part of any player that may feel let down that his teammate decided not to play in their postseason after playing w/ the guy and, arguably, helping him get to opt out? That’s absurd. I get why players are opting out, I also get that some could be pissed about it. Not sure why it has to be one or the other, an absolute. As for driving a narrative, I played college ball but only what today’s FCS is back in the 80s, so that’s probably not good enough for you for the “skill to match the passion”.

Exactly my point. Individual players have too much of their own stuff to worry about than to get worked up over a teammate deciding to focus on their next step. I think this narrative is driven by guys that played high school football, but weren't good enough to play college. Some of those guys want to have this hardcore "for the team" attitude. The reality for them is that they just didn't have the skill to match the passion.
So you think Desmond Howard fits that rubbish you've just posted.
BTW the word "team" is more than just a sport concept,but that's obviously something you haven't experienced.

Reactions: francade
Every bowl that isn't a playoff game is nothing more than an exhibition. Opting out makes perfect sense for the guys that choose to. Their teammates understand it. Their coaches understand it. They certainly don't owe anyone least of all the fans.
So when those players tell their children about the bowl game they were in should they refer to it as the exhibition game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick4
.” I think this narrative is driven by guys that played high school football, but weren't good enough to play college. Some of those guys want to have this hardcore "for the team" attitude. The reality for them is that they just didn't have the skill to match the passion”

It’s not hard to understand. Some players are pissed that the stars are opting out only for their own selfish desire to win. They can understand the reasoning behind opting out while still be disappointed in their teammate. One can also argue that the potential draft pick was part of a team that helped him garner that draft pick potential. You don’t think there’s any part of any player that may feel let down that his teammate decided not to play in their postseason after playing w/ the guy and, arguably, helping him get to opt out? That’s absurd. I get why players are opting out, I also get that some could be pissed about it. Not sure why it has to be one or the other, an absolute. As for driving a narrative, I played college ball but only what today’s FCS is back in the 80s, so that’s probably not good enough for you for the “skill to match the passion”.
If that's the case, why are there never any stories written about all those pissed off players?

If that's the case, why are there never any stories written about all those pissed off players?
Because there aren't any pissed off players.

Michael Mayer was welcome on the sideline last season when Notre Dame played South Carolina?

Why? Because the players 100% supported MM protecting his financial future, just like this team supports Audric Estime, Joe Alt, Sam Hartman, and Blake Fisher..

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
Because there aren't any pissed off players.

Michael Mayer was welcome on the sideline last season when Notre Dame played South Carolina?

Why? Because the players 100% supported MM protecting his financial future, just like this team supports Audric Estime, Joe Alt, Sam Hartman, and Blake Fisher..
One player is one thing, a mad exodus is another.

“Because there aren't any pissed off players.”

Not in your opinion there aren’t.

Well, I’m a selfish pissed off fan. I want the best that ND offers on the field winning every game, including Bowl games. That doesn’t mean I don’t understand the considerations of those choosing to opt out. Going forward, I expect ND to be in the annual 12 team playoff which hopefully makes this a moot discussion point.

“If that's the case, why are there never any stories written about all those pissed off players?”

No, you’re right. There are no stories written out there about it so there’s no way on earth that there are some players pissed off about their teammates opting out.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
“If that's the case, why are there never any stories written about all those pissed off players?”

No, you’re right. There are no stories written out there about it so there’s no way on earth that there are some players pissed off about their teammates opting out.
If it were a thing, at some point there would be articles written about it. Obviously it's only a thing in the minds of fans.

Reactions: notredamerises23
If it were a thing, at some point there would be articles written about it. Obviously it's only a thing in the minds of fans.
If you think anything in this world is 100% you are out of your mind

Have you watched or read anything lately?

Obviously there are some. It would be impossible to have something 100%

If you think anything in this world is 100% you are out of your mind

Have you watched or read anything lately?

Obviously there are some. It would be impossible to have something 100%
Let's forget about 100%. There isn't even 2% here.

I dont care what it is. It's not 100%. There's people who don't like it that's a guarantee
I don't like certain food, but it's not some big controversy. That's what you are trying to make teammates "not liking" the opts outs to be. This is a non-issue that would have all kinds of stories written about it, if it were an issue. FANS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO THINK IT'S AN ISSUE.

I don't like certain food, but it's not some big controversy. That's what you are trying to make teammates "not liking" the opts outs to be. This is a non-issue that would have all kinds of stories written about it, if it were an issue. FANS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO THINK IT'S AN ISSUE.
Really
Is Kirk Herbstreit that category?
Desmond Howard?

Howard said:
During a segment on KJZ, Howard wanted to make his opinion very clear to the point that it extended into the final commercial break of the show as he talked about what he hears from people he talks to in college football about the competitive spirit or lack thereof from some players"

“If you watch the segment, I had a lot to say but I didn’t say it because as you guys know, we have producers and the producers are in our ears and I made the comment on-air that I am playing by the rules of the producer who is telling us to wrap-wrap-wrap but they kept going meaning Kirk, David, and Rece Davis because he just wanted to get further explanations of things that were being said. I had a lot more to say because I have strong opinions about this. If you watch the segment, I even mentioned that you guys are running right through that red light and I am sitting here playing by the rules.”

During the segment on KJZ, Howard wanted to make his opinion very clear to the point that it extended into the final commercial break of the show as he talked about what he hears from people he talks to in college football about the competitive spirit or lack thereof from some players."
“When you look at these kids nowadays and it’s not just the opting out, let’s go back to the transfer portal,” Howard said. “Those of us who do this for a living, we talk to coaches, you talk to coordinators, you talk to people in the program. They like to talk about how some of these kids, not all of them. The competitive spirit for some of these kids isn’t as strong and that’s why you see the transfer portal is now the cup runneth over so to speak."

“It’s crazy the amount of kids in the transfer portal because kids who don’t want to compete, they kind of feel entitled whether they were told this during the recruiting process or not that they were going to be starters…They don’t seem to want to stay there and compete, they jump ship a lot. The competitive spirit doesn’t seem to be there based on the people who are involved with these programs and the conversations we are having with some of them. That kind of trickles down to the bowls.”

As you see in the article this is being talked about in house

So it's not just fans

Last edited:
I haven't said much at all about the topic.

But you and another were trying to act like no players have an issue with it. That is impossible and inaccurate

I haven't said much at all about the topic.

But you and another were trying to act like no players have an issue with it. That is impossible and inaccurate
I haven't said NO players. Listen to what I am saying.

It's a big issue for fans. It's not an issue for players. If it were an issue for players that they felt needs to be addressed, there would be players speaking out about it and stories written about players speaking out about it. It's a non-issue that FANS have been trying to make an issue since opting out first started as a trend. It's no longer a trend and now common practice.

It's a big issue for fans. It's not an issue for players. If it were an issue for players that they felt needs to be addressed, there would be players speaking out about it and stories written about players speaking out about it. It's a non-issue that FANS have been trying to make an issue since opting out first started as a trend. It's no longer a trend and now common practice.

IT IS NOT JUST FANS.

Read my post above, or not the chose is yours

It is a problem for some players.

Who knows. Who cares. It's a problem for some players because nothing is 100%. Maybe it's that 2% you said.
Who cares? The damn people who keep talking about it being this really big issue that has to be addressed. It. Is. A. Non-issue.

Who cares? The damn people who keep talking about it being this really big issue that has to be addressed. It. Is. A. Non-issue.
No. People like you say it's a non issue. No players have a problem with it

That's not true. Even if it's a small minority ( which neither of us know) its still an issue to some

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT