ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Hartman - Opting out of Sun Bowl

This is the impact of crap coaching, leading to crap losses, leading to a crap bowl, vs a crap opponent.

This is what happens when you have to start tosh baker(terrible) at LT and Wagner (not ready) at RT

This is what happens when you lose your 3 wrs with the most snaps played this season

Honestly, i'm shocked he was going to play in any bowl game that wasn't CFP, but I guess a game vs LSU as was expected would have been big enough.

Freeman has failed 2 years in a row coaching. He's doing a phenomenal job building the roster on paper through recruiting HS and portal, but can't get a full quality staff, and he can't coach. If we're not 10-2 or better and in CFP with our easy schedule next year, he has to be gone!

We all should be for this. This isn’t a playoff game and Sam Hartman’s not going to be on the roaster in ‘24. Chances are that Angeli or Minchey are backing up Riley Leonard next season and can use these practices to compete for that chance. Lastly I read that CJ Carr would be able to join the program on December 16th. Idk if that’s true though. Obviously he can’t play in the bowl but maybe he can sit in on meeting, etc.

He probably looked around at all the other missing starters from the offense and decided not to play, either. Well, at least Angeli and Minchey will get a chance to show what they can do.

I’m disappointed that he’s not playing. He made a ton of money at ND and captured a TON of national recognition. I feel like he owed the school and the program the bowl game. ND really made Sam one of the faces of college football. The return that Sam gave ND was pretty underwhelming.

9 wins. 3 losses. A ton of hype. Sam looked super “cool” all year long, and now…..4 months later, it’s over.

I know my sentiment is not popular. I’ll take some heat here for this post. That’s OK, have at it. It’s not personal w me.

Let’s develop Carr and Deuce and Minchey, and figure out how to get guys who want to be here several years and will be invested in the program.

This is the impact of crap coaching, leading to crap losses, leading to a crap bowl, vs a crap opponent.

This is what happens when you have to start tosh baker(terrible) at LT and Wagner (not ready) at RT

This is what happens when you lose your 3 wrs with the most snaps played this season

Honestly, i'm shocked he was going to play in any bowl game that wasn't CFP, but I guess a game vs LSU as was expected would have been big enough.

Freeman has failed 2 years in a row coaching. He's doing a phenomenal job building the roster on paper through recruiting HS and portal, but can't get a full quality staff, and he can't coach. If we're not 10-2 or better and in CFP with our easy schedule next year, he has to be gone!
Wow what a cry baby

I’m disappointed that he’s not playing. He made a ton of money at ND and captured a TON of national recognition. I feel like he owed the school and the program the bowl game. ND really made Sam one of the faces of college football. The return that Sam gave ND was pretty underwhelming.

9 wins. 3 losses. A ton of hype. Sam looked super “cool” all year long, and now…..4 months later, it’s over.

I know my sentiment is not popular. I’ll take some heat here for this post. That’s OK, have at it. It’s not personal w me.

Let’s develop Carr and Deuce and Minchey, and figure out how to get guys who want to be here several years and will be invested in the program.
I couldn't agree more. The TV cameras love "a face" to attach to a program, and I guess that was Hartman's main value. I expected him to play much better than he did. Some of that was obviously inexperienced wide receivers and some was obviously a new, inexperienced OC, but some of it was Sam, too.

I couldn't agree more. The TV cameras love "a face" to attach to a program, and I guess that was Hartman's main value. I expected him to play much better than he did. Some of that was obviously inexperienced wide receivers and some was obviously a new, inexperienced OC, but some of it was Sam, too.
Just how much could he compensate for all the weaknesses?
He is a very good QB but he is not nearly elite.
Let the young QBs get real game experience.
That is the real value of a bowl to a team trying to build; giving the young people more practice time and playing time

There's just no reason for him to play with literally our entire second string offense other than coogan. Maybe Thomas starts and that would be two starters.

No reason for Hartman to pretty much be our only first string player to play on offense.

We aren't in the CFP due to Freeman and Parker. Hartman doesn't owe anyone anything, Freeman and parker made a ton of money failing more than Sam did this year.

There's just no reason for him to play with literally our entire second string offense other than coogan. Maybe Thomas starts and that would be two starters.

No reason for Hartman to pretty much be our only first string player to play on offense.

We aren't in the CFP due to Freeman and Parker. Hartman doesn't owe anyone anything, Freeman and parker made a ton of money failing more than Sam did this year.
Craig and Schrauth started the last 2 games. Theyvare starters he is used to. Coogan as well.

Price Love Payne Faison Thomas Greathouse Raridon all played a ton of snaps and guys he is used to

Sam Hartman made a decision that is best for him. Zero problem with Hartman opting out.

Dude, go drink a beer or three.

We have a good coach. He needs to get better but we have a good coach
not talking all aspects of being a CEO, i'm talking about flat out coaching football on the field after the roster has been developed (he's doing great there).

The only way anyone can say he's good is if you combine recruiting with coaching..... recruiting great + bad coaching = maybe good

Doesn’t really make sense to me. He’s not going to be anywhere near a top pick. Forget the part about owing it to your teammates and fans, wouldn’t he enjoy playing in and winning his last college football game? And risking what, an outside chance at getting hurt and losing his chance at a practice squad spot?

Reactions: IrishMike409
Craig and Schrauth started the last 2 games. Theyvare starters he is used to. Coogan as well.

Price Love Payne Faison Thomas Greathouse Raridon all played a ton of snaps and guys he is used to
Only thomas and Coogan are first string, of course other people have played, of course other people have started (due to injury)

Doesn’t really make sense to me. He’s not going to be anywhere near a top pick. Forget the part about owing it to your teammates and fans, wouldn’t he enjoy playing in and winning his last college football game? And risking what, an outside chance at getting hurt and losing his chance at a practice squad spot?
ND should be doing what bama did last year and find him $200k to play in this game

This win is important, if anyone says otherwise it's a lie

Sam Hartman made a decision that is best for him. Zero problem with Hartman opting out.
I guess. But what is the upside to not playing? Injury, I suppose? If that was the case, then why play vs Stanford and Wake?

Tough guys…..competitors…..they want to be on the field battling. Hartman would have a hard time convincing me that sitting out this game is the best move.

Have to love this forum. Hartman's lousy, give the younger guys playing time. Hartman should be playing to give us the best chance to win, who cares about the younger guys getting playing time in non-garbage time. You can't have it both ways. If Hartman wants to opt out, his heart isn't in the game anyways. Just like I wanted to see what Buchner could do in last year's bowl game, I want to see both Angeli and Minchey get some experience in this game.

Maybe he was nudged by the coaching staff?

I guess. But what is the upside to not playing? Injury, I suppose? If that was the case, then why play vs Stanford and Wake?

Tough guys…..competitors…..they want to be on the field battling. Hartman would have a hard time convincing me that sitting out this game is the best move.
What's the upside? Protecting your future, so help me Jaylon Smith...

I guess Joe Alt, Blake Fisher, and Audric Estime are not "...tough guys..." as well.

All opted out.

We all should be for this. This isn’t a playoff game and Sam Hartman’s not going to be on the roaster in ‘24. Chances are that Angeli or Minchey are backing up Riley Leonard next season and can use these practices to compete for that chance. Lastly I read that CJ Carr would be able to join the program on December 16th. Idk if that’s true though. Obviously he can’t play in the bowl but maybe he can sit in on meeting, etc.
It could be a double edge sword. Maybe Minchey outplays Angeli (which I suspect the staff already knows), Angeli transfers and the QB grad transfers doesn't materialize (another school could threw big money and pull the grand transfer way). Then we are down to 2 scholarship QBs. It is possible the staff doesn't want the fans to see it happen as it would provide more incentive for Angeli to transfer.

What's the upside? Protecting your future, so help me Jaylon Smith...
Hartman has nowhere near the NFL potential of Smith, and plays a less physical position. Also, even with the worst case happening to him Smith still had a decent nfl career.

Hartman has nowhere near the NFL potential of Smith, and plays a less physical position. Also, even with the worst case happening to him Smith still had a decent nfl career.
What about Joe Alt, Audric Estime, and Blake Fisher?

Just opted out.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
What about Joe Alt, Audric Estime, and Blake Fisher?

Just opted out.
He’s going to be a top 10 pick, not a borderline 3rd stringer. I still don’t love it and part of me feels they all owe it to their team and fans and should play, but I at least understand it from his perspective. Hartman in my eyes is giving up the chance to end his long college career on a great note, in order to preserve the outside chance he becomes a 3rd string QB for a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT