ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FSU' Johnson arrest video

He initiates contact TWICE before she touches him. The bump in the back and then grabbing her.

He could have ended the entire situation with a simple "sorry, my bad" after he elbowed her from behind. My guess is he said something closer to "shut up bitch".
He grabbed her arm, at the end of which was a cocked fist. My guess is that a reasonable person would say he was justified in grabbing her arm.

Wow...

First off, she is at the bar first. He makes first contact by elbowing her in the back.

She objects. He grabs her and holds her.

She makes a half assed effort to shove him away. Her "punch" wouldn't have hurt a toddler.

He escalates the situation EXPONENTIALLY by punching her in the face with all his might.

FSU is kicking him off the team. Good for them. This kid may end up doing jail time.
He'll probably end up at michigan next. Seems like he'd fit in well there.

It is kind of amazing how so many people can watch the same video and see so many different things. A great social experiment.

He grabbed her arm, at the end of which was a cocked fist. My guess is that a reasonable person would say he was justified in grabbing her arm.

You forget that Florida has a stand your ground law. I think if they allow you to pull a gun to SYG, they will also allow a warning fist. He started everything by bulling into her. She's got a right to protect those precious drinks.

again if 2 girls or Rousey - no question where the blame lies! If we are going to app,y law w/o gender bias this is no brainer.

NDEvwas closest: the argument the prosecutor will make is not who was the aggressor ( he would lose!); he will argue that the respinse was excessive.

This whole matter is negotiated to mutual responsibility.

Yeah, clocking a girl in a bar the way he did isn't a "punk" move.

What would you prefer to call it?
You were commenting on his dialogue without having any idea what he said. That's stereotyping.

You were commenting on his dialogue without having any idea what he said. That's stereotyping.

I don't think it's a stretch to to say that a guy who made a punk move also probably expressed himself as a punk.

Perhaps he was quoting Socrates, Voltaire, Confucius....

What is the stereotype you are driving at? I am curious.

again if 2 girls or Rousey - no question where the blame lies! If we are going to app,y law w/o gender bias this is no brainer.

NDEvwas closest: the argument the prosecutor will make is not who was the aggressor ( he would lose!); he will argue that the respinse was excessive.

This whole matter is negotiated to mutual responsibility.

Yeah, and if it was two guys? Betting he wouldn't tried to shove past him.

.........and she waited her turn patiently while the two girls at the bar was being served. She started to move up for her turn and he plowed right in. Again a little manners and self control and the kid still might have a scholly.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I don't think it's a stretch to to say that a guy who made a punk move also probably expressed himself as a punk.

Perhaps he was quoting Socrates, Voltaire, Confucius....

What is the stereotype you are driving at? I am curious.
I am just saying you have no idea what either one said. She could be trailer trash with a mouth like a sailor too. Who knows what she called him, though that's not an excuse for a violent outburst.

I am just saying you have no idea what either one said. She could be trailer trash with a mouth like a sailor too. Who knows what she called him, though that's not an excuse for a violent outburst.

I would assume both were quick with the F-bombs/other colorful explicatives of our modern age. I blame Al Swearengen.

giphy.gif

I'd say I was speculating then not stereotyping....

Perse, do you really believe what you are posting here, or just being provocative?
tex

she or the prosecutor: a very weak argument. In a situation where you have 2 wrongs: the court is not going to decide the leastvwrong! wrong is wrong

I do find it interesting how conditioned the attitudes are that it is always the fault of the guy! Yet last week there was debate over "equality".

"blown about by every breeze"

Last edited:
Perse principles like equality aren't applied in a vacuum. His whole defense would be predicated on self-defense. For self-defense to be justified it has to be reasonable in the how and when it is used.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Would you be able to speculate in this instance without stereotyping?

Is it stereotyping to say people who act like punks probably say things that punks say? I think it is assuming but I took the accusation of stereotyping initially to be one couched in race not what CGVR was talking about.

Perse principles like equality aren't applied in a vacuum. His whole defense would be predicated on self-defense. For self-defense to be justified it has to be reasonable in the how and when it is used.
Getting into a tough area. If I punch you in the face and you shoot me dead with a gun, that's clearly an unreasonable unwarranted reaction. But if I punch you in the face and you punch me back in the face, does the fact that you are a better and/or stronger puncher than I am make that an unreasonable reaction?

Would you be able to speculate in this instance without stereotyping?

Sal nailed it:

"Is it stereotyping to say people who act like punks probably say things that punks say? I think it is assuming but I took the accusation of stereotyping initially to be one couched in race not what CGVR was talking about."

Sal nailed it:

"Is it stereotyping to say people who act like punks probably say things that punks say? I think it is assuming but I took the accusation of stereotyping initially to be one couched in race not what CGVR was talking about."
This is an interesting social experiment. My first stereotyping item was not his race, it was the goofy backwards baseball hat with the size sticker still on it. That kind of says punk or thug to me, but of course that's a 57 year old white guy stereotyping.

Getting into a tough area. If I punch you in the face and you shoot me dead with a gun, that's clearly an unreasonable unwarranted reaction. But if I punch you in the face and you punch me back in the face, does the fact that you are a better and/or stronger puncher than I am make that an unreasonable reaction?

Legally yes. If you punch me in the face but you are intoxicated and significantly smaller and weaker then me and I am do not fear for my safety, those factors affect whether or not my reaction is reasonable.

To use self defense in a justified matter one has to (a) have a reasonable fear of their own safety or the safety of others and (b) can use force to a reasonable degree necessary to avoid harm. This isn't addressing the fact that most states' self defense laws also state you are not justified in using self defense carte blanche is you are the reason you need to defend yourself, i.e. I can start a fight and then pull out a knife to end the fight and claim self defense.

Florida has stand your ground: he was standing his ground; Sal you can criticisize him 8 ways from Sunday: but convict him: no chance! there is a better case against her.
point being neither has a case.

This is an interesting social experiment. My first stereotyping item was not his race, it was the goofy backwards baseball hat with the size sticker still on it. That kind of says punk or thug to me, but of course that's a 57 year old white guy stereotyping.

Got it. I was zeroed in on the "punk haymaker" he threw. The chick had a good jaw... I was surprised she stood up to it.

Florida has stand your ground: he was standing his ground; Sal you can criticisize him 8 ways from Sunday: but convict him: no chance! there is a better case against her.

Do you know whether this law applies to defending yourself against force in general, or deadly force?

yes, my earlier point was as alluded to by NDE; was he using unreasonable force: is there a distinction between punches based on 'gender'; how was he to discern what her pitential was! It could have been Rousey like!

Bad behavior should not find an ally in the court room!

Got it. I was zeroed in on the "punk haymaker" he threw. The chick had a good jaw... I was surprised she stood up to it.
I might say that was probably not her first bar fight, but then I would be..........................................................stereotyping. :)

Not all punches are created equal. A ten year old could attempt to strike you. Does that then justify punching him as hard as you can?

Also, Johnson made first contact. If he hadn't done that or had decided to apologize, she never would have responded with the "threatening" air fist. And his GRABBING her was more threatening than any kick or punch she launched in retaliation.

Reactions: irishalice
cgvr being dishonest? Wow, that's a surprise.

Johnson is clearly a bum. Under no circumstances should his actions be tolerated. he should have raped her and he could have been exonerated by FSU and its fans.

That is a poor application of stand your ground. As said much earlier for a misdemeanor battery charge this isn't something that goes to trial.

yes, my earlier point was as alluded to by NDE; was he using unreasonable force: is there a distinction between punches based on 'gender'; how was he to discern what her pitential was! It could have been Rousey like!

Bad behavior should not find an ally in the court room!

This is not the law.

Let's remember that the right hand of DJ is off screen for the most part I believe from the accounts I read and from looking at her reactions to him that he made contact early on with her using that right hand that is off the screen.

I might say that was probably not her first bar fight, but then I would be..........................................................stereotyping. :)

^ and to be sure that will be looked into! She cocked her fist immediately, raised her knee as if displaying a self defense ( although she was the aggressor here) mode ... this is NOT the typical reaction of a well mannered and peace loving person. She been down that road before for sure!

Last edited:
Let's remember that the right hand of DJ is off screen for the most part I believe from the accounts I read and from looking at her reactions to him that he made contact early on with her using that right hand that is off the screen.

he grabed with his left hand - she never looked anywhere but up at him; targeting him; NO, the right was not an obvious threat known to her.

She was ready willing and looking for an altercation. Her immediacy was hard to understand; heck he might have said excuse me or offered her a drink if she wan't in the process of attempting an amateur dental realignment!

I noticed in the stop action his hand is open with him giving her a serious slap but not necessarily a punch with a balled up fist. Not making any excuses here other than it appeared to be a slap and not a punch. So, once again I think the media got it wrong.

And as for the young "lady" ahem.......ahem.......I'm wondering just what her punishment will be in this matter for the use of a "racial slur" and initiating a fight in a bar? Is that not a violation of someone's rights? What about a student conduct hearing for her?

My guess is absolutely nothing happens to her............if so, that's too bad. I suppose now the take some females will have is it's OK to punch and kick a guy in the balls because after all, they are girls and guys aren't allowed to do much of anything. Sad situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT