ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Brian Kelly's Best Chance To Beat An Elite Team?

IIO.....I responded specifically to the clown saying BK should resign if we lose.

That’s an asinine statement to make. But it’s become typical of the mental midgets that reside here 24-7.

I don't think he should resign, but I also do think that he's prepared the program well to take another step... It's time (this season) for that step to be taken.

Reactions: IrishMike409
just from a recruiting point of view, no one is going to get past the Bama, UGA, tOSU, LSU, CU pack without a generational type QB or Running back the likes of OJ or Campbell or E. Davis.

At rankings, 5-7 that might be ND’s ceiling based upon optimum recruiting.

Last edited:
“ If they can’t now then when?”

Lol. Better win now, ND, cuz for the rest of time we won’t have a chance. How arrogant can a fan be?
When is the last big game ND won? Every time you’ve gotten on the national stage you’ve been embarrassed. Remember the title game with Alabama? Clemson in the last playoff? That’s the stigma around ND. They win the games they are supposed to and then get beat in the big games. Soundly a lot of times. This is your best chance to change that narrative. Not trying to be arrogant just stating facts. I’m out though so enjoy the game this weekend and maybe we’ll meet again in the acccg

Reactions: francade
When is the last big game ND won? Every time you’ve gotten on the national stage you’ve been embarrassed. Remember the title game with Alabama? Clemson in the last playoff? That’s the stigma around ND. They win the games they are supposed to and then get beat in the big games. Soundly a lot of times. This is your best chance to change that narrative
Great. Appreciate your opinion. And for the record- I haven’t “been embarrassed”. Don’t speak for me.

Clemson is a football factory, and damn good one. ND isn’t a football factory, and will never be. I’d still rather be me than you.

Clemson had 2 starters on offense, 4 starters on defense, and 2 second team guys that plays a lot out yesterday. Of course Lawrence but then our best defensive lineman in Davis, our best deep threat WR in Ladson, our most athletic LB in Jones, our starting DE Foster, and of course our defensive leader in Skalski.
So you just plug in other 5-star talent in those areas.

When is the last big game ND won? Every time you’ve gotten on the national stage you’ve been embarrassed. Remember the title game with Alabama? Clemson in the last playoff? That’s the stigma around ND. They win the games they are supposed to and then get beat in the big games. Soundly a lot of times. This is your best chance to change that narrative. Not trying to be arrogant just stating facts. I’m out though so enjoy the game this weekend and maybe we’ll meet again in the acccg
Dude, your program was a joke until 2016. Your fan base knows all too well about being 8-4 constantly. Nice run you have going now. Enjoy it. No need to be a classless troll.

I don't think he should resign, but I also do think that he's prepared the program well to take another step... It's time (this season) for that step to be taken.
If we go 11 and 2 with a NY6 bowl win. Our only 2 loses to the number1 team in the country. Is that a step?

If we go 11 and 2 with a NY6 bowl win. Our only 2 loses to the number1 team in the country. Is that a step?
For me, the next step is not all tied into winning and losing, it is moving the program forward into how football is played in the coming decade, which is about explosive offense combined with a solid defense. Taking the next step would be to success scout/recruit/develop a high level QB, recruit fast, athletic WRs/RBs and good DBs/DEs. If BK can do that, then the winning will take care of itself. You don’t win big in the year 2020 with 3 TE sets and your OL as the overwhelmingly best position group on offense, plus grad transfer starters at two of the most important positions at WR and CB.

Yes.

He's never won a New Years Six Bowl. Furthermore, that game would be played between two top 10 teams more than likely. Adding another bonafide top 10 win to the resume, in a high profile game, with recruits around the country watching... Would be huge.

Yes.

He's never won a New Years Six Bowl. Furthermore, that game would be played between two top 10 teams more than likely. Adding another bonafide top 10 win to the resume, in a high profile game, with recruits around the country watching... Would be huge.
Sorry in my opinion if you don't make the playoff the rest is not relevant. How is beating say Memphis in a NY6 game something to puff your chest out about ? If it's not the playoff the opponent in the bowl game means way more to me than the venue or date on the calendar.

Sorry in my opinion if you don't make the playoff the rest is not relevant. How is beating say Memphis in a NY6 game something to puff your chest out about ? If it's not the playoff the opponent in the bowl game means way more to me than the venue or date on the calendar.

I always just think "big picture" regarding the program. ND hasn't won a big game, in a bowl setting, in YEARS. Obviously, a win in a playoff game would be better than a win in a NY6 game, but I'll take either, because to this point Brian Kelly's won neither.

Both would be a relevant to me. Clearly, one would be better than the other.

I always just think "big picture" regarding the program. ND hasn't won a big game, in a bowl setting, in YEARS. Obviously, a win in a playoff game would be better than a win in a NY6 game, but I'll take either, because to this point Brian Kelly's won neither.

Both would be a relevant to me. Clearly, one would be better than the other.
If you don't make the playoff all the other bowls are consolation games in my opinion. The labeling of the NY6 is one of the most overblown things in all of sports.

Exactly. If Kelly can't beat a depleted Clemson team at home, then he should resign. This is his best chance to beat a Top 5 ranked opponent. The rematch with Lawrence and some of the other Clemson starters back will be ugly.

Right. ND is 6-0. But if ND loses a single game, Kelly should resign. Absolutely moronic post.

If you don't make the playoff all the other bowls are consolation games in my opinion. The labeling of the NY6 is one of the most overblown things in all of sports.

The thing is that only 4 teams can make the playoffs each year, and I'm not delusional enough of an ND fan to think they can get there every year... So I'm more than ok with a high profile bowl win in a year they fail to make the playoffs. All of that stuff helps recruiting, IMO, and ultimately, that is as important as anything.

Right. ND is 6-0. But if ND loses a single game, Kelly should resign. Absolutely moronic post.
To 78 and IrishMike - not a moronic post. This is Kelly's best chance to beat a number one team. Clemson is depleted on both sides of the ball. The Irish are at home. It doesn't get any better than that. You guys are afraid he won't have Notre Dame ready. You guys are afraid ND will lose. And you're afraid because of Kelly's track record in games like these. He chokes. So what if ND is 6-0. The team has beaten tomato cans and you two know it. If he can't get it done Saturday with the number of breaks going his way then he will NEVER get it done. In a rematch against a loaded Clemson team, Notre Dame loses by 2-3 scores. I stand by my previous post. If a Kelly led Notre Dame team can't beat this Clemson bunch at home tomorrow night, he should hang it up. I don't give two shits if they go 11-2 this season. So what. It's playoffs or bust. If you want to see ND in the playoffs this year, then ND has to handle Clemson tomorrow and likely in the ACC championship. Kelly's been at this for 11 years now at Notre Dame. Quit ****ing making excuses for him. Time to put his big boy pants on and get the job done.

To 78 and IrishMike - not a moronic post. This is Kelly's best chance to beat a number one team. Clemson is depleted on both sides of the ball. The Irish are at home. It doesn't get any better than that. You guys are afraid he won't have Notre Dame ready. You guys are afraid ND will lose. And you're afraid because of Kelly's track record in games like these. He chokes. So what if ND is 6-0. The team has beaten tomato cans and you two know it. If he can't get it done Saturday with the number of breaks going his way then he will NEVER get it done. In a rematch against a loaded Clemson team, Notre Dame loses by 2-3 scores. I stand by my previous post. If a Kelly led Notre Dame team can't beat this Clemson bunch at home tomorrow night, he should hang it up. I don't give two shits if they go 11-2 this season. So what. It's playoffs or bust. If you want to see ND in the playoffs this year, then ND has to handle Clemson tomorrow and likely in the ACC championship. Kelly's been at this for 11 years now at Notre Dame. Quit ****ing making excuses for him. Time to put his big boy pants on and get the job done.
What are you talking about? No one is “afraid”. You sound like an idiot.

Clemson is not depleted

We're home, but no home field advantage. More like a neutral site.

Do you think every program should fire their coach if they dont make it to the playoffs?

“When is the last big game ND won? Every time you’ve gotten on the national stage you’ve been embarrassed. Remember the title game with Alabama? Clemson in the last playoff? That’s the stigma around ND. They win the games they are supposed to and then get beat in the big games. Soundly a lot of times. This is your best chance to change that narrative. Not trying to be arrogant just stating facts. I’m out though so enjoy the game this weekend and maybe we’ll meet again in the acccg“

My bad, tigerman. There’s a lot of posts I’ve read about the game from both Clemson (& ND fans for that matter) that continue to pound that fact and it’s tiring even if it’s been true. I just think to say that if ND doesn’t win tomoro, when will they is a tad hyperbolic. No hard feelings, Clemson fans have been generally awesome so hopefully no hard feelings.

No need to defend and apologize for BK. He's a big boy. Let him rattle off all the numbers at his next presser. He'll be more than happy to with the ever gentle urging of Jack Nolan. Those wins are in the past now. It's Clemson that's in the here and now. Quiet the doubters, not only from Irish Nation, but from the national sports media. Win the game and you can spend a whole hour at your next presser talking about your "business plan".

I'm not afraid of anything. ND may win. ND may lose. But the notion that BK should've forced to resign if ND loses is absurd.

I'm not afraid of anything. ND may win. ND may lose. But the notion that BK should've forced to resign if ND loses is absurd.
Absurd, stupid, short sighted, I could go on an on. Just a moronic take all the way around.

So, we ask what would it take for ND to beat a Top 5 team, ranked higher than ND?
A pandemic which quarantines the opposing generational starting QB
Injuries which put 4-6 opposing starters out of the game.
And, make it a game that for most part is ‘must win’ only for ND
then
make it a home game!
CU 2nd team vs ND 1st team!

all that and ND still has not convinced betters it was enough!?!? yikes!

ND 27 CU 23 (6 starters out is more debilitating than Love missing 1 series!)

So, we ask what would it take for ND to beat a Top 5 team, ranked higher than ND?
A pandemic which quarantines the opposing generational starting QB
Injuries which put 4-6 opposing starters out of the game.
And, make it a game that for most part is ‘must win’ only for ND
then
make it a home game!
CU 2nd team vs ND 1st team!

all that and ND still has not convinced betters it was enough!?!? yikes!

ND 27 CU 23 (6 starters out is more debilitating than Love missing 1 series!)
Only 4 starters out

Your a troll

Only 4 starters out

Your a troll

That's ok, 0 starters for ND are out. Not a single player that has started one of their 6 games this season, or a game in his ND career, is out today to our knowledge. We've got an incredibly healthy squad.

Let's get it done today.

That's ok, 0 starters for ND are out. Not a single player that has started one of their 6 games this season, or a game in his ND career, is out today to our knowledge. We've got an incredibly healthy squad.

Let's get it done today.
Our 2 best receivers are out. Our pre season 1 and 2.

They have 4 starters out.

No excuses either side

Our 2 best receivers are out. Our pre season 1 and 2.

They have 4 starters out.

No excuses either side

But none of ND's starters are out by your metric, so we're 22 or 22 today.

Play ball and hope the Irish come out on top!

But none of ND's starters are out by your metric, so we're 22 or 22 today.

Play ball and hope the Irish come out on top!
My metric is we have our 2 best wr out today. They have 4 guys out. No one has an excuse. They arent depleted at all. We arent depleted. This is football. Play ball

My metric is we have our 2 best wr out today. They have 4 guys out. No one has an excuse. They arent depleted at all. We arent depleted. This is football. Play ball

They don't have their best WR out, who is much better than either guy ND has out?

They don't have their best WR out, who is much better than either guy ND has out?
No they dont have their best wr out. He got hurt in the spring. Hasnt been in their plans in 8 months. Will not play 1 snap this entire year and probably never play cfb again. Its like an early draft entrant. Kmet could be starting too.

If Clemson is 14 and 0 and is playing OSU in the NC, Are you still going to be saying they are out their best wr?

No one has brought up Ross in months until now. He hasnt played 7 games when everyone said Clemson would destroy us. So no excuse now

No they dont have their best wr out. He got hurt in the spring. Hasnt been in their plans in 8 months. Will not play 1 snap this entire year and probably never play cfb again. Its like an early draft entrant. Kmet could be starting too.

If Clemson is 14 and 0 and is playing OSU in the NC, Are you still going to be saying they are out their best wr?

No one has brought up Ross in months until now. He hasnt played 7 games when everyone said Clemson would destroy us. So no excuse now

I'm no making any excuses. I'm stating that it's intellectually dishonest of you to treat ND's 2 wide receivers, neither of whome have staryed a game at ND and neither of whom have contributed anything of value to ND's success this season, as some kind of loss, but then act like being down the best QB in college football, your best defensive player, arguably your second best defensive player and two other key players in the front 7 is "normal". It's not and you know it.

If Notre Dame was down Ian Book, Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, Daelin Hayes and Ade Ongundeji and Drew White, and I tried to argue that ND wasn't negatively affected by those losses, you'd understandably laugh at me.

I'm no making any excuses. I'm stating that it's intellectually dishonest of you to treat ND's 2 wide receivers, neither of whome have staryed a game at ND and neither of whom have contributed anything of value to ND's success this season, as some kind of loss, but then act like being down the best QB in college football, your best defensive player, arguably your second best defensive player and two other key players in the front 7 is "normal". It's not and you know it.

If Notre Dame was down Ian Book, Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, Daelin Hayes and Ade Ongundeji and Drew White, and I tried to argue that ND wasn't negatively affected by those losses, you'd understandably laugh at me.
And if you cant understand that we are down our 2 best wr, you know less about this team than you think you do.

And thats saying a lot, since you know everything, right.

Alabama was more depleted last year. We've been more depleted with injuries and suspensions before.

Stop acting like they are out 11 starters and 10 backups. Every team has injuries. They have plenty of talented backups that outside of Lawrence, the losses are negligible. And DJ would be starting for us.

And if you cant understand that we are down our 2 best wr, you know less about this team than you think you do.

And thats saying a lot, since you know everything, right.

Alabama was more depleted last year. We've been more depleted with injuries and suspensions before.

Stop acting like they are out 11 starters and 10 backups. Every team has injuries. They have plenty of talented backups that outside of Lawrence, the losses are negligible. And DJ would be starting for us.

I understand the quality of WRs that ND is down in theiry, but neither of them has done anything in college football. You can't lose what you never had from a production standpoint.

Alabama was missing more last year. I've never made an argument to the contrary. Alabama lost two games last year and missed the playoffs, largely because of those injuries... Because no matter how hard you recruit, it's very hard to replace another of key starters, regardless of what name is on your jerseys.

I'm not acting like Clemson is down 10 or 11 starters... I'm acting like they're down arguably the best player in college football, at the most important position I football and 3 of their top 4-5 defefensive players... That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. But anybody that doesn't understand that's a significant loss, can't be helped.

Seth Walder ESPN Analytics
An early look at the playoff leverage for Clemson-Notre Dame, according to the Allstate Playoff Predictor. The Fighting Irish and Tigers would have basically the same chance at a playoff bid if Notre Dame wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT