ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Brian Kelly's Best Chance To Beat An Elite Team?

Notre dame is not Clemson.

If I had Dj as my backup I'd be fine. We don't have a best dl so we'd be fine there. We'd be fine losing our 2nd best LB because the backup os just as good. Losing our number 1 LB would hurt.

But we are out our 2 best wrs. And wr is a weak area to begin with. You are not weak at backup qb or dl. Venables is fine. Its not going to make or break this game for you.

You're mighty clemson. We're weak Notre dame. You are supposed to obliterate us right.
I said we're losing our best 2 linebackers in Skalski and Jones. Now how would Notre Dame do losing their best 2 linebackers?

Hey know it all. Really shows what you know or like of what you know. Let me ask you if Notre Dame starting quarterback, (many on board evidently think it would help if he was out), was out, their best 2 linebackers, and their best defensive lineman was out how would you like your chances against Clemson? I'll be waiting for your response.
Calm down, Im sure Dabo has been giving starter doses steroids to all the appropriate backups

Reactions: Golson5
Dont care about BC game. I wasnt talking BC. Maybe you were. I care about ND. You'll be out 2 starters
Do you really believe missing the best player in the country at the MOST IMPORTANT position in football AND an ALL ACC caliber LB, are equivalent to missing 2 backup wr's? Lol

No CU fan would give a damn if we were missing backup receivers Ajou and Spector.

Do you really believe missing the best player in the country at the MOST IMPORTANT position in football, an ALL ACC caliber LB, and an all american caliber DT are equivalent to missing 2 backup wr's? Lol

No CU fan would give a damn if we were missing backup receivers Ajou and Spector.

He's our best wr. Not a stretch at all.

And Justyn Ross is theirs... Neither has started a game this season.

So either 4 starters down vs 1 or 5 starters down vs 2... Take your pick... And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on Braden Lenzy, who also hasn't started a game this year, but who you're including as a starter despite him never having been at any time in his career at ND.

Reactions: Tigerman91
Do you really believe missing the best player in the country at the MOST IMPORTANT position in football AND an ALL ACC caliber LB, are equivalent to missing 2 backup wr's? Lol

Y’all have one of the best paid Quarterback rooms in the country. No way they lose to a QB who almost had to pay to play and get an education. It’s in the bag.

And Justyn Ross is theirs... Neither has started a game this season.

So either 4 starters down vs 1 or 5 starters down vs 2... Take your pick... And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on Braden Lenzy, who also hasn't started a game this year, but who you're including as a starter despite him never having been at any time in his career at ND.
Ross hasnt been in their plans since spring. Not a factor at any point. Austin was supposed to be our best wr up to aug. Then injured. After he returned healthy he was supposed to be our number 1. He got hurt again.

Losing Ross is the equivalent of losing Kmet. Not the same

Mighty Clemson fans are on here complaining about injuries and already coming up with excuses. And they were saying that we didnt have a chance during this season. They knew Ross wouldnt be playing against ND. Now all of a sudden it is a huge factor lol.

This is embarrassing Clemson fans. Many came on here saying we had no chance and we couldn't hang. Now all of a sudden you're out a few guys and already making excuses. You are Clemson. The number 1 program in the country. We are little Notre Dame. And you are making excuses. Come on

Reactions: IrishMike409
Mighty Clemson fans are on here complaining about injuries and already coming up with excuses. And they were saying that we didnt have a chance during this season. They knew Ross wouldnt be playing against ND. Now all of a sudden it is a huge factor lol.

This is embarrassing Clemson fans. Many came on here saying we had no chance and we couldn't hang. Now all of a sudden you're out a few guys and already making excuses. You are Clemson. The number 1 program in the country. We are little Notre Dame. And you are making excuses. Come on

I'm on record saying that I think Lawrence could be worth as many as 14 points in this game. Not simply because of talent, rather, poise, experience and decision making in big moments.

Reactions: citybydalake
“I'm on record saying that I think Lawrence could be worth as many as 14 points in this game. Not simply because of talent, rather, poise, experience and decision making in big moments.“

More setup to pour salt on the wound if ND loses. 🤮

Nobody is suggesting the game be cancelled and I've said, multiple times in this thread "no excuses" for either team.

That said, there is nothing wrong with talking about injury situations and updating folks on who is in and who is out.

To answer the original question in this post it is absolutely ND's best chance to win vs an elite team. Injuries happen in football and they are clearly a part of the game. That being said Clemson has a couple major losses on the defensive side of the ball and of course Trevor being out is huge. But my outlook on injuries/players being out is you don't use it as an excuse. That's why it's a team game and the next man in mentality applies. What we know about teams like Clemson, Bama, and OSU over the last several years is they are loaded with talent and depth at all positions and that makes them the 3 top tier teams in college football. So losing a few starters in my opinion doesn't give them a pass in this game if ND so happens to pull out the win.

Besides Rodgers their other two WR's aren't going to scare the heck out of you and their oline although I'm sure quite talented has 4 first year starters on it. Of course stopping Etienne will be a major factor in the outcome of the game. On the defensive side of the ball this should be ND's best chance to not get scorched for 30+ points and give up over 450+ yards in a matchup vs an elite team. ND's defense has earned a lot of respect with their play and I can't wait to see how they perform vs a very good Clemson offense with or without Trevor.

On the other side of the ball this becomes another opportunity for a great ND offensive line to try and prove they can be productive running the ball vs an elite team. Will it happen? That will be decided on Saturday. But with the inexperience of Clemson's front and the couple of injuries they have up front this to me is clearly ND's best chance to impose their will running the ball and be very effective. As we all know ND is very experienced up front so it's time for them to dominate an inexperienced Clemson front and control the game.

To me this game will be determined by ND's defense playing well enough and the ND run game being productive. But this is the time for them to step up and actually do it.

Forgetting J. Ross. Regardless if he hasn’t played he was expected to be a starter this year

I'm not saying or anything, but is Tigerman already laying some mattresses in the event of a Clemson loss?

As I look at the game and in response to IIO's initial question - absolutely - yes - this is BK's best chance at a victory over an elite team. Clemson's front seven is decimated and our running game is as good as it has been in recent memory. I have no doubt Tommy Rees and BK and the entire offense watched the final drive of BC before the half where BC marched 75 yards on 15 plays for 7 minutes to score their last TD. Dabo called 2 timeouts starting at almost 4 minutes left because Clemson was getting gashed. This is not Clemson's typical front and certainly not even a shadow of what ND saw in the CFP when Clemson had 3 first round draft picks and 1 second round pick on their starting DL. The kids on the DL Saturday are kids. Christian Wilkins, Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant and Dexter Lawrence were men ready to play on Sunday, which all of them have.

Bookies have not set the line on this game on who they think will win, but where they need to set the line in order to attract equal betting. Just looking at these teams objectively and how they come into this game - ND should be favored.

Of note this year and something that will likely be a telling stat Saturday - if ND wins the time of possession battle by 6 minutes or more, ND wins this game.

NDs Time of Possession this year has been (minutes):
ND - 37 GT - 23
ND - 40 Pitt - 20
ND - 36 Lou - 24
ND - 32 FSU - 28
ND - 30 USF - 30 (Score 52-0)
ND - 34 Duke - 26

I think ND continues to emphasize ball control this Saturday and wins the game.

ND - 27 Clemson - 17

I'm not saying or anything, but is Tigerman already laying some mattresses in the event of a Clemson loss?

As I look at the game and in response to IIO's initial question - absolutely - yes - this is BK's best chance at a victory over an elite team. Clemson's front seven is decimated and our running game is as good as it has been in recent memory. I have no doubt Tommy Rees and BK and the entire offense watched the final drive of BC before the half where BC marched 75 yards on 15 plays for 7 minutes to score their last TD. Dabo called 2 timeouts starting at almost 4 minutes left because Clemson was getting gashed. This is not Clemson's typical front and certainly not even a shadow of what ND saw in the CFP when Clemson had 3 first round draft picks and 1 second round pick on their starting DL. The kids on the DL Saturday are kids. Christian Wilkins, Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant and Dexter Lawrence were men ready to play on Sunday, which all of them have.

Bookies have not set the line on this game on who they think will win, but where they need to set the line in order to attract equal betting. Just looking at these teams objectively and how they come into this game - ND should be favored.

Of note this year and something that will likely be a telling stat Saturday - if ND wins the time of possession battle by 6 minutes or more, ND wins this game.

ND - 37 GT - 23
ND - 40 Pitt - 20
ND - 36 Lou - 24
ND - 32 FSU - 28
ND - 34 Duke - 26

ND - 27 Clemson - 17
Great post. Pure football. Well done.

Hey know it all. Really shows what you know or like of what you know. Let me ask you if Notre Dame starting quarterback, (many on board evidently think it would help if he was out), was out, their best 2 linebackers, and their best defensive lineman was out how would you like your chances against Clemson? I'll be waiting for your response.
Well the starting QB being out may increase our chances

ND - 37 GT - 23
ND - 40 Pitt - 20
ND - 36 Lou - 24
ND - 32 FSU - 28
ND - 34 Duke - 26

ND - 27 Clemson - 17

People don't realize how much Clemson is missing from that front 7.

2 of their 3 starting linebackers are out for Saturday.

2 of their top 4 defensive ends will be out for the full game and first half respectively.

Their best desensive lineman, starting DT Tyler Davis, is also out.

That leaves two true freshman (Breese and Murphy) and a bunch of backups charged with starting.

This is the game ND should and needs to be able to run the ball at a really, really high level. They're starting kids and backups vs a veteran line that has started 130+ games, many of which are together.

Last edited:
Are the 2 situations exactly the same? No. How the game goes in Charlotte doesnt mean what would happen in south bend
ND has a shot this sat without Lawrence. With Lawrence in a conference champ game, ND loses by 17-21 points easy. The offense will not be able to stay with them period.

ND - 37 GT - 23
ND - 40 Pitt - 20
ND - 36 Lou - 24
ND - 32 FSU - 28
ND - 34 Duke - 26

ND - 27 Clemson - 17
Who we got is who we got. Just making a point that there’s more out than some people think. I fully expect ND to try to play ball control and have these long sustained drives. It will be key for Clemson to get some 3 and outs to give the offense as many possessions as possible especially with a true freshman at QB.
I will be interested to see if Book can throw the ball downfield as Venables will surely load the box and dare him to throw against 1-1 coverage
All in all I think this is the best chance for ND to get Clemson. If they can’t now then when?

looking forward to the rematch in the CCG! Dabo probably will use Sat. as a fact finding experiment.

Interesting piece today on ESPN about Clemson's frosh QB, DJ Uiagalelei. (For those that are interested, they even give you the correct pronunciation of his name.) It was obvious watching the BC game that the kid has a big arm. In the ESPN article there is video of DJ and Justin Fields having a long-ball toss contest at some camp back in 2017, when DJ was a sophomore in high school and Fields was a high school senior. Fields tosses one out there at 80 yards and then DJ puts one out there at 85 yards. As a 16-year old! That was damn impressive. I'm not sure Ian could throw that far with 2 tosses. While there is more to playing the QB position than pure arm strength, Uiagalelei obviously possesses an absolute rocket launcher.

Who we got is who we got. Just making a point that there’s more out than some people think. I fully expect ND to try to play ball control and have these long sustained drives. It will be key for Clemson to get some 3 and outs to give the offense as many possessions as possible especially with a true freshman at QB.
I will be interested to see if Book can throw the ball downfield as Venables will surely load the box and dare him to throw against 1-1 coverage
All in all I think this is the best chance for ND to get Clemson. If they can’t now then when?

Exactly. If Kelly can't beat a depleted Clemson team at home, then he should resign. This is his best chance to beat a Top 5 ranked opponent. The rematch with Lawrence and some of the other Clemson starters back will be ugly.

Exactly. If Kelly can't beat a depleted Clemson team at home, then he should resign. This is his best chance to beat a Top 5 ranked opponent. The rematch with Lawrence and some of the other Clemson starters back will be ugly.
They arent depleted

Interesting piece today on ESPN about Clemson's frosh QB, DJ Uiagalelei. (For those that are interested, they even give you the correct pronunciation of his name.) It was obvious watching the BC game that the kid has a big arm. In the ESPN article there is video of DJ and Justin Fields having a long-ball toss contest at some camp back in 2017, when DJ was a sophomore in high school and Fields was a high school senior. Fields tosses one out there at 80 yards and then DJ puts one out there at 85 yards. As a 16-year old! That was damn impressive. I'm not sure Ian could throw that far with 2 tosses. While there is more to playing the QB position than pure arm strength, Uiagalelei obviously possesses an absolute rocket launcher.

How far did Book throw it?

Resign? You’re clearly an irrational person.

Kelly is on an incredible run. If we lose by 60 Saturday night, it would be really bad for ND if Kelly resigned. Stop being so short sighted.

“ If they can’t now then when?”

Lol. Better win now, ND, cuz for the rest of time we won’t have a chance. How arrogant can a fan be?

Resign? You’re clearly an irrational person.

Kelly is on an incredible run. If we lose by 60 Saturday night, it would be really bad for ND if Kelly resigned. Stop being so short sighted.

In fairness, Brian Kelly is at the point in his tenure where beating up tomato cans, while nice, isn't what the fan base is looking for. He's proved that he can do that consistantly post 2016... A New Years Six win against another top 10 team. A victory over one of the dominant programs in college football (in a year in which they are also very good), a win in a playoff game, a national title, or an ACC Championship (this year). Those are the type of goals that the majority of the fan base has for the program, along with a 0-2 loss season every year.

“ If they can’t now then when?”

Lol. Better win now, ND, cuz for the rest of time we won’t have a chance. How arrogant can a fan be?
Short sighted, living only in the moment, mental midgets......that’s what so many here have become.

“If we don’t win Saturday, we’ll never beat a good team again”. Beyond stupid and irrational.

Reactions: francade
In fairness, Brian Kelly is at the point in his tenure where beating up tomato cans, while nice, isn't what the fan base is looking for. He's proved that he can do that consistantly post 2016... A New Years Six win against another top 10 team. A victory over one of the dominant programs in college football (in a year in which they are also very good), a win in a playoff game, a national title, or an ACC Championship (this year). Those are the type of goals that the majority of the fan base has for the program, along with a 0-2 loss season every year.
IIO.....I responded specifically to the clown saying BK should resign if we lose.

That’s an asinine statement to make. But it’s become typical of the mental midgets that reside here 24-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT