ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Brian Kelly's Best Chance To Beat An Elite Team?

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
There are no excuses for Brian Kelly this week, are there?

Let's look at the game closely.

1. The game is in South Bend. It's not on the road in some hostile enviroment, nor is it a playoff game on a neutral field. Because of the rules regarding fans, the Clemson crowd can't even take over ND stadium, as is the norm in these big games.

2. Clemson will be missing #1 overall NFL Draft pick Trevor Lawrence (QB), 1st round draft pick Justyn Ross (WR1) leading tackler James Skalski (MLB) and possibly starting defensive tackle Tyler Davis. Clemson is also missing one of their key rotational players at defensive end for the 1st half of the game because Xavier Thomas was tossed for targetting in the 2nd half vs BC.

3. Ian Book is a 22 year old, 3 year starter at QB. DJ Uiagalelei is a 19 year old, starting his second game of his career at quarterback... Plus, Ian Book is simply a winner according to Brian Kelly, so the coach has to be ultra-confident in his guy.

4. Clemson starts a pair of freshmen, Bryan Breese and Myles Murphy, along their defensive line. Both were 5 stars, but surely ND's offensive line of 22 and 23 year old future NFL'ers, with 4 and 5 years of college experience can handle a pair of 19 year old kids... Right?

5. Clemson's perimeter weapons aren't what they have been. They went from Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross and Amari Rodgers, to Rodgers as the #1, supported by Cornell Powell, Frank Ladson and Joe Ngata.

6. According to just about everyone, ND has among the best offensive lines in the country, and is much improved at the RB position, with a trio of threats in Williams, Tyree and Flemmister. They should be able to run the ball on Clemson, no?

7. Clark Lea has been pretty awesome at taking away other team's main weapons and forcing the supporting cast to beat his defense. You have to think his main goal is going to be limiting Travis Etienne and keeping Kyle Hamilton over top of a Amari Rodgers.

8. Kelly openly admits that the team has been looking ahead to Clemson since before the Pittsburgh game and that they've been psychologically preparing, as well as practicing to beat Clemson. Clemson, in the meantime, has had to scramble to get a freshman QB prepared, first for last week and now for this week.

There is no reason for ND not win this one, is there?

Last edited:

1. The game is in South Bend. It's not on the road in some hostile enviroment, nor is it a playoff game on a neutral field. Because of the rules regarding fans, the Clemson crowd can't even take over ND stadium, as is the norm in these big games.

2. Clemson will be missing #1 overall NFL Draft pick Trevor Lawrence (QB), 1st round draft pick Justyn Ross (WR1) leading tackler James Skalski (MLB) and possibly starting defensive tackle Tyler Davis. Clemson is also missing one of their key rotational players at defensive end for the 1st half of the game because Xavier Thomas was tossed for targetting in the 2nd half vs BC.

3. Ian Book is a 22 year old, 3 year starter at QB. DJ Uiagalelei is a 19 year old, starting his second game of his career at quarterback... Plus, Ian Book is simply a winner according to Brian Kelly, so the coach has to be ultra confident in his guy.

4. Clemson starts a pair of freshmen Bryan Breese and Myles Murphy, along their defensive line. Both were 5 stars, but surely ND's offensive line of 22 and 23 year old future NFL'ers, with 4 and 5 years of college experience can handle a pair of 19 year old kids... Right?

5. Clemson's perimeter weapons aren't what they have been. They went from Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross and Amari Rodgers, to Rodgers as the #1, supported by Cornell Powell, Frank Ladson and Joe Ngata.

6. According to just about everyone, ND has among the best offensive lines in the country, and is much improved at the RB position, with a trio of threats in Williams, Tyree and Flemmister. They should be able to run the ball on Clemson, no?

7. Clark Lea has been pretty awesome at taking away other team's main weapons and forcing the supporting cast to beat his defense. You have to think his main goal is going to be limiting Travis Etienne and keeping Kyle Hamilton over top of a Amari Rodgers.

8. Kelly openly admits that the team has been looking ahead to Clemson since before the Pittsburgh game and that they've been psychologically preparing, as well as practicing to beat Clemson. Clemson, in the meantime, has had to scramble to get a freshman QB prepared, first for last week and now for this week.

all it took was a pandemic and a rash of injuries! to make BK a better H.C.!

3. Ian Book is a 22 year old, 3 year starter at QB. DJ Uiagalelei is a 19 year old, starting his second game of his career at quarterback... Plus, Ian Book is simply a winner according to Brian Kelly, so the coach has to be ultra confident in his guy.

4. Clemson starts a pair of freshmen Bryan Breese and Myles Murphy, along their defensive line. Both were 5 stars, but surely ND's offensive line of 22 and 23 year old future NFL'ers, with 4 and 5 years of college experience can handle a pair of 19 year old kids... Right?

ND is ready. Win!

Reactions: IrishMike409
If ND beats wounded CU in a close game and then faces tOSU or Bama, that is not going to be pretty! And any carryover from the Clemson game will evaporate quickly.

Taking all of that into account is why Clemson is Favored to win by only a touchdown. Otherwise, we’d be looking at something closer to being a twenty point dog. But your post seems to drip with sarcasm as you know Book’s limitations, and the five star depth Clemson has waiting in the wings, and the performance just put up by their freshman QB against BC.
I think Clemson has Underperformed all year, pretty much taking their games for granted. They remind me of NBA top tier teams losing to the likes of Sacramento by ten points entering the fourth quarter and winning by twenty. I expect to see them kick into another gear from the onset, and we damn well better be ready to match and surpass their energy and emotion. I’d rather be playing Clemson than Ohio St this week, but a win over Clemson still Represents a very steep hill to climb.
But to your OP question, yes, this is probably Kelly’s best opportunity for beating an elite team, but that says more about how this team compares to his prior teams, and less about Clemson, in my opinion.

3. Ian Book is a 22 year old, 3 year starter at QB. DJ Uiagalelei is a 19 year old, starting his second game of his career at quarterback... Plus, Ian Book is simply a winner according to Brian Kelly, so the coach has to be ultra-confident in his guy.

4. Clemson starts a pair of freshmen, Bryan Breese and Myles Murphy, along their defensive line. Both were 5 stars, but surely ND's offensive line of 22 and 23 year old future NFL'ers, with 4 and 5 years of college experience can handle a pair of 19 year old kids... Right?

Wouldn't points #2, #4, and #5 suggest that this is not an elite team?
I wanna be clear I'm rooting for ND and will be very happy should they win. However, I do not think ND is playing an elite team on Saturday. It's similar to the Raptors beating the Warriors in the finals last year with an injured KD and Klay. But no worries... I'm hoping ND wins on Saturday and then plays a healthy Clemson team in the ACC title game and ND will get their chance to prove they belong with the big boys. And they may get another chance to do should they make it to the CFP.

I really believe that the inability of the California teams to recruit in their own state has benefited the same 4-5 teams that have dominated the past decade!

All of this puts even more pressure on them to win. And it’s still unlikely.

1. Williams takes a handoff, bounces off an initial hit and spins forward for 3 yards.

2. Book completes a quick-hitter for 4 yards.

3. The pocket collapses and Book makes a mad dash for the sideline, comes up 1 yard short of the marker.

Reactions: GDFan
the question is-if you remove 3 starters - 2 AA’s, at key positions, and start 2+ true Fr.
are you still truly elite?

No. I would say, very good, but below elite. That puts CU in the category with ND.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Brian Kelly isn’t on the “Dress List”

It’s up to the players on the field !

Wouldn't points #2, #4, and #5 suggest that this is not an elite team?
I wanna be clear I'm rooting for ND and will be very happy should they win. However, I do not think ND is playing an elite team on Saturday. It's similar to the Raptors beating the Warriors in the finals last year with an injured KD and Klay. But no worries... I'm hoping ND wins on Saturday and then plays a healthy Clemson team in the ACC title game and ND will get their chance to prove they belong with the big boys. And they may get another chance to do should they make it to the CFP.

How is the # 1 team in the country ............. NOT ELITE ?

Brian Kelly isn’t on the “Dress List”

It’s up to the players on the field !
No, but he’s responsible for preparing them, having the proper game plan in place, and being able to make adjustments during the game.

I know that some people think my post is purely sarcastic, but it's not. Obviously, there are elements of sarcasm tied into it for sake of fun, but let's explore some of the realities of this matchup more deeply.

1. ND has the longest current win streak in the FBS, and hasn't lost a game at home since the 2nd game of the 2017 season, when they lost by 1 point to Georgia and were driving late with a chance to win that game. I think they've won 22 or 23 straight games at home. They have every right to be confident in South Bend.

2. Uiagalelei looked great in his first start last week, but he's not Trevor Lawrence (at least not yet). Although he can run, he doesn't kill you with his legs like Lawrence does. Furthermore, Clark Lea has one of the best defenses in the country. You have to think that with 3 weeks to prepare (which Kelly has admitted has been partially the case) that he's going to have some things prepared for the young signal caller... They scored 34 points against Boston College, and needed every minute of the game to get there. The kid is REALLY GOOD, I'm not taking anything away from him, but you have to think that ND is AT LEAST a touchdown better than Boston College is defensively. Add to it the fact that it's a road game for the kid, instead of a home game. You have to at least be confident enough in the fact that Lea can hold that offense to 28'ish points (as long as the offense isn't turning the ball over and putting them in bad spots)... If you told me that ND was going to hold Clemson under 30 points (which I think they might if all goes well), I think ND has a live chance. I genuinely believe that Trevor Lawrence is worth at least 14 points to that offense on the field. That's no disrespect to Uiagalelei, Lawrence is just far more advanced at this point. As the future #1 pick should be... ND's defense held a better offense to 30 points in the 2018 bowl game, despite the ND offense doing absolutely nothing for 4 quarters. If the offense can contribute this week, at home in South Bend, the Irish should have no excuse not to hang.

3. If this isn't the year you can run the ball on a top team, when is? Clemson is starting a pair of 19 year old defensive linemen. I get that they were both top 15 players in last year's class, but they're friggen 19 and nowhere near the monsters they'll be two years from now. ND has 130+ starts on their offensive line. That's the most in America. All 5 of them are upper classmen, and at least 4 of them (probably all 5) will be NFL draft picks over the next two years. Furthermore, Clemson's best interior lineman, Tyler Davis, has been out battling an MCL sprain. Even if he does play this week, he's going to be nowhere near 100%. Xavier Thomas will also miss the first half of the game after a targetting penalty last week, their leading tackler / MIKE linebacker / arguably their best defensive player James Skalski has already been ruled out this week and their starting WILL linebacker, Jones, missed the BC game due to injury as well... When you have 130+ OL starts, tons of continuity, above average running backs and you're facing a young / depleted front, if you can't run the ball in that situation, when are you going to? If your 22 and 23 year old, fully developed, former 4 and 5 star OL, who are bound for the NFL, can't get a push and open some run lanes this week, it's time to stop trying to be a rushing team against these types of opponents.

4. BK is finally saying the right things and attacking this game with the urgency that the other elite coaches do. He's admitted that they've been looking ahead to this game for multiple weeks and actively preparing for it. ND is relatively healthy among their key players, which is a positive. Furthermore, Kelly sounded like a Saban, Meyer or Swinney in his post game press conference last night, when he basically congratulated the team for winning quickly, then spent 5 minutes obviously annoyed talking about how much better, sharper and more dominant they need to be. That's what a winner sounds like. Never, ever, ever pleased with the result. Always focused on how to improve. I love that attitude and I hope the team plays with it this week.

5. Without Trevor Lawrence, this is, objectively, the least complete Clemson team since before DeShaun Watson took over at quarterback. Injuries have made that worse. Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross and Hunter Renfrow aren't there anymore. YES they still have skilled talent, of course, but this team's offense was largely being willed by Lawrence and Etienne. Maybe I'll eat my words next Sunday, but I think you can take Rodgers out of the game by putting all world "blanket" Kyle Hamilton, over top of him. You have to believe that over 4 quarters the rest of your secondary can compete with Cornell Patterson, Joe Ngata and Frank Ladson. Similarly, they've given up yards through the air. Booth and Kendrick are talented, but lesser teams than Notre Dame have had success against them. Their safeties appear on film to be vulnerable. Their pass rush isn't as elite as it has been, without blitzing (which Venables is great at scheming) and it's my belief that ND's tight ends have a genuine advantage against their linebackers, if Ian Book can find a way, one time, to trust himself in the middle of the field.

So I ask again... If not this week, then when?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ara64 and NDinNJ

Beat them in the ACC Championship with Lawrence at QB, or better yet, in the NC game the week after beating Bama!

• Haha
Reactions: wallaceb

Beat them in the ACC Championship with Lawrence at QB, or better yet, in the NC game the week after beating Bama!

boy! daylight savings really gets seniors confused

Reactions: Ara64

Answer to the headline, no its not.

Answer to the bottom question, yes there's plenty. Mainly being Clemson is more talented than us regardless of TL and they have the best coach in the country. There a reason we're 7 point underdogs

the question is-if you remove 3 starters - 2 AA’s, at key positions, and start 2+ true Fr.
are you still truly elite?

No. I would say, very good, but below elite. That puts CU in the category with ND.
We have 2 starters out as well. That's normal for mid season. Play ball

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Answer to the headline, no its not.

Answer to the bottom question, yes there's plenty. Mainly being Clemson is more talented than us regardless of TL and they have the best coach in the country. There a reason we're 7 point underdogs

I'm not suggesting that ND is better than Clemson. I'm suggesting that if there is any time in the Brian Kelly era that the situation, through circumstance, is set up for him to get a win, at home, vs an elite team... This is the game.

10 years in you have to find a way to beat one of these teams. Clemson is a wounded cat right now. I don't think you'll get a better chance than next Saturday.

Reactions: d1042
yep! you understand! no brainer! Bama, tOSU, and Clemson rematch!
this is the best chance Kelly will probably ever have!

We have 2 starters out as well. That's normal for mid season. Play ball

Which starters are out for ND? Lenzy and Austin?...

Brian Kelly stated just the other day that their off season plan was to start start Skowroneck at the W and Austin at the X. Lenzy was going to play, but was never slated to start...

As for Kevin Austin, no doubt we think that he's talented, but he's barely played a game for ND in his career and he's certainly never started... You don't miss what you never had.

Like you said, ND is pretty damn healthy. Much healthier than Clemson. I agree, play ball!

Reactions: Toby Smart

It’s lose/lose for ND. We win and it’s because Trevor Lawerence was out. We lose, we lost to a back up QB (even though he was a 5* guy).

I'm not suggesting that ND is better than Clemson. I'm suggesting that if there is any time in the Brian Kelly era that the situation, through circumstance, is set up for him to get a win, at home, vs an elite team... This is the game.

10 years in you have to find a way to beat one of these teams. Clemson is a wounded cat right now. I don't think you'll get a better chance than next Saturday.
15 against Clemson because we were more talented than now

17 vs Georgia

Golson year against fsu. We beat fsu. Bad call at goal line

Which starters are out for ND? Lenzy and Austin?...

Brian Kelly stated just the other day that their off season plan was to start start Skowroneck at the W and Austin at the X. Lenzy was going to play, but was never slated to start...

As for Kevin Austin, no doubt we think that he's talented, but he's barely played a game for ND in his career and he's certainly never started... You don't miss what you never had.

Like you said, ND is pretty damn healthy. Much healthier than Clemson. I agree, play ball!
Yes those 2 starters. Austin and Lenzy would start because they are the 2 most talented receivers we have.

Clemson has a few injuries. It's not like they're decimated. 1 guy on offense. 2 to 3 on defense

Yes those 2 starters. Austin and Lenzy would start because they are the 2 most talented receivers we have.

Clemson has a few injuries. It's not like they're decimated. 1 guy on offense. 2 to 3 on defense

Brian Kelly literally stated that Ben Skowronek was going to start at the W and Kevin Austin at the X. You can believe what you want, but he literally said that last week so I'm going to stick with that he said.

Regardless, it's irrelavent. Clemson is much more banged up than ND. Like you said, play ball.

Brian Kelly literally stated that Ben Skowronek was going to start at the W and Kevin Austin at the X. You can believe what you want, but he literally said that last week so I'm going to stick with that he said.

Regardless, it's irrelavent. Clemson is much more banged up than ND. Like you said, play ball.

You say it how it is trying to be a realist and get murdered on here. You pump sunshine and try to be positive for once heading into one of these and you get murdered on here. This board is hilarious

He definitely said Austin was penciled in at x and Ben would play w. I took it as Austin was sure starter and Ben would be competing at w.

Yes.... Nd should have packages for Clemson they haven’t shown at all this year. It would be amazing for a coach to say about Nd what Kelly says about other trams
When we play poorly “they had packages against us we hadn’t seen and didn’t prepare for”

15 against Clemson because we were more talented than now

17 vs Georgia

Golson year against fsu. We beat fsu. Bad call at goal line

I don't think we had a better defense in 2015, as a unit. I think this unit is much deeper in the front 7 and the DC is a much better coach, with a much better scheme. Jaylon Smith is obviously one of my favourite players ever at ND, but as a unit, I'd take this defense all day... Obviously the offenses aren't close. The 2015 offense was the best of the Brian Kelly era... I think it's basically a wash.

2017 Georgia and 2014 FSU are games that I think are definitely up for consideration. ND played those games very closely, and while the the penalty in 2014 was obviously offensive PI, both teams had run that same / similar "rub" concept multiple times during the game and it hadn't been called all night. It was an objectively terrible time to enforce the rules.

We will beat Clemson this Saturday. Book will direct a very precise attack using our running and short-yardage
passing game with an occasional long ball to keep the secondary honest. Our wonderful stable of tight ends
will be a high point in both the receiving and blocking components of the game. The defense will be outstanding.
I was a student when Holtz coached and he used to send chills up and down my spine when he spoke at the Friday night rallies saying: "We are ND and this is OUR HOUSE!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT