ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Brian Kelly's Best Chance To Beat An Elite Team?

They arent decimated. Not even close. Acting like they are playing with 3rd and 4th stringers is an overreaction

Every team has injuries, suspensions, players banged up. It's football. Mid season. They dont have anything abnormal.

Not decimated at all

This is just a bad take. TL is a generational talent, DJU is very talented and will be a great player but he’s not TL. To me it’s like having Peyton Manning/Tom Brady out for a game and starting Kirk Cousins, he’s good but not their level whatsoever.

Skalski is a big loss too, again Clemson has talent and Venables has played well but he’s not Skalski a potential 1st rounder.

If ND can’t beat Clemson with these guys out, they’ll have no chance on a neutral field if they were to play Clemson again in the ACC championship game.

Reactions: scartiger and d1042
This is just a bad take. TL is a generational talent, DJU is very talented and will be a great player but he’s not TL. To me it’s like having Peyton Manning/Tom Brady out for a game and starting Kirk Cousins, he’s good but not their level whatsoever.

Skalski is a big loss too, again Clemson has talent and Venables has played well but he’s not Skalski a potential 1st rounder.

If ND can’t beat Clemson with these guys out, they’ll have no chance on a neutral field if they were to play Clemson again in the ACC championship game.
I never said they would beat Clemson on a neutral field.

I said they are not decimated with injuries. They arent. They have injuries, like every team in week 8

• Haha
Reactions: scartiger
2012 Oklahoma finished No. 15, with 3 loses on the season. They lost to Kansas State and Texas A&M that season as well.

If your standard for an elite win is a 3 loss team that finishes outside of the top 10, that's your call. I happen to think it was an excellent win, but nowhere near beating an undefeated Clemson team that goes on to be a 1 loss playoff team, or a 0-1 loss, top 4 team in a playoff game.

Like it or not, all the games count in a season. Looking at where a team was ranked the time a game is played, instead of that team's entire body if work, is purposely ignoring reality.
But that was a really tough game that we won on the road. That game, essentially ended their season, and you could argue they quit after......

I never said they would beat Clemson on a neutral field.

I said they are not decimated with injuries. They arent. They have injuries, like every team in week 8
Tell me another team in the nation that has their starting Quarterback, best linebacker, best defensive lineman and best deep threat at Wide Receiver out? TIA

But that was a really tough game that we won on the road. That game, essentially ended their season, and you could argue they quit after......

2012 OU drew Texas A&M in the bowl game, when a guy named Johnny Manziel was burning the brightest (still close for one half). We probably would have beaten A&M or KSU (probably woulda lost to Oregon) in the CG if the BCS had worked out in our favor.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Tell me another team in the nation that has their starting Quarterback, best linebacker, best defensive lineman and best deep threat at Wide Receiver out? TIA

Wait.....Clemson signed 8, 6 and 7 5-star players the last three years and you're worried about lil 'ol Notre Dame?

Without a doubt this is his best chance to defeat an elite opponent. GO IRISH!!!

It’s definitely his best chance to beat an elite team. Until the next time he plays an elite team. At that point, this newer elite team will become his best chance to beat an elite team. And so on.

Reactions: Ara64
I know that some people think my post is purely sarcastic, but it's not. Obviously, there are elements of sarcasm tied into it for sake of fun, but let's explore some of the realities of this matchup more deeply.

1. ND has the longest current win streak in the FBS, and hasn't lost a game at home since the 2nd game of the 2017 season, when they lost by 1 point to Georgia and were driving late with a chance to win that game. I think they've won 22 or 23 straight games at home. They have every right to be confident in South Bend.

2. Uiagalelei looked great in his first start last week, but he's not Trevor Lawrence (at least not yet). Although he can run, he doesn't kill you with his legs like Lawrence does. Furthermore, Clark Lea has one of the best defenses in the country. You have to think that with 3 weeks to prepare (which Kelly has admitted has been partially the case) that he's going to have some things prepared for the young signal caller... They scored 34 points against Boston College, and needed every minute of the game to get there. The kid is REALLY GOOD, I'm not taking anything away from him, but you have to think that ND is AT LEAST a touchdown better than Boston College is defensively. Add to it the fact that it's a road game for the kid, instead of a home game. You have to at least be confident enough in the fact that Lea can hold that offense to 28'ish points (as long as the offense isn't turning the ball over and putting them in bad spots)... If you told me that ND was going to hold Clemson under 30 points (which I think they might if all goes well), I think ND has a live chance. I genuinely believe that Trevor Lawrence is worth at least 14 points to that offense on the field. That's no disrespect to Uiagalelei, Lawrence is just far more advanced at this point. As the future #1 pick should be... ND's defense held a better offense to 30 points in the 2018 bowl game, despite the ND offense doing absolutely nothing for 4 quarters. If the offense can contribute this week, at home in South Bend, the Irish should have no excuse not to hang.

3. If this isn't the year you can run the ball on a top team, when is? Clemson is starting a pair of 19 year old defensive linemen. I get that they were both top 15 players in last year's class, but they're friggen 19 and nowhere near the monsters they'll be two years from now. ND has 130+ starts on their offensive line. That's the most in America. All 5 of them are upper classmen, and at least 4 of them (probably all 5) will be NFL draft picks over the next two years. Furthermore, Clemson's best interior lineman, Tyler Davis, has been out battling an MCL sprain. Even if he does play this week, he's going to be nowhere near 100%. Xavier Thomas will also miss the first half of the game after a targetting penalty last week, their leading tackler / MIKE linebacker / arguably their best defensive player James Skalski has already been ruled out this week and their starting WILL linebacker, Jones, missed the BC game due to injury as well... When you have 130+ OL starts, tons of continuity, above average running backs and you're facing a young / depleted front, if you can't run the ball in that situation, when are you going to? If your 22 and 23 year old, fully developed, former 4 and 5 star OL, who are bound for the NFL, can't get a push and open some run lanes this week, it's time to stop trying to be a rushing team against these types of opponents.

4. BK is finally saying the right things and attacking this game with the urgency that the other elite coaches do. He's admitted that they've been looking ahead to this game for multiple weeks and actively preparing for it. ND is relatively healthy among their key players, which is a positive. Furthermore, Kelly sounded like a Saban, Meyer or Swinney in his post game press conference last night, when he basically congratulated the team for winning quickly, then spent 5 minutes obviously annoyed talking about how much better, sharper and more dominant they need to be. That's what a winner sounds like. Never, ever, ever pleased with the result. Always focused on how to improve. I love that attitude and I hope the team plays with it this week.

5. Without Trevor Lawrence, this is, objectively, the least complete Clemson team since before DeShaun Watson took over at quarterback. Injuries have made that worse. Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross and Hunter Renfrow aren't there anymore. YES they still have skilled talent, of course, but this team's offense was largely being willed by Lawrence and Etienne. Maybe I'll eat my words next Sunday, but I think you can take Rodgers out of the game by putting all world "blanket" Kyle Hamilton, over top of him. You have to believe that over 4 quarters the rest of your secondary can compete with Cornell Patterson, Joe Ngata and Frank Ladson. Similarly, they've given up yards through the air. Booth and Kendrick are talented, but lesser teams than Notre Dame have had success against them. Their safeties appear on film to be vulnerable. Their pass rush isn't as elite as it has been, without blitzing (which Venables is great at scheming) and it's my belief that ND's tight ends have a genuine advantage against their linebackers, if Ian Book can find a way, one time, to trust himself in the middle of the field.

So I ask again... If not this week, then when?
All good points IIO. In fact, ill be in Vegas this week and will take ND + 6 or more large, and also put a little something on the moneyline. I am concerned the significant attrition on defense will be hard overcome....especially Tyler Davis and Skalski.

I could see a 23-20 type game either way but lean ND at the moment.

Now, if we meet again in championship game and both teams healthy, I like our chances for redemption.

Yes those 2 starters. Austin and Lenzy would start because they are the 2 most talented receivers we have.

Clemson has a few injuries. It's not like they're decimated. 1 guy on offense. 2 to 3 on defense
Uh, TL and Ross on offense are two of the best players in the country. They're not run of the mill guys at all. On defense Tyler Davis is our best player (AA caliber) with Skalski not far behind. You could easily argue we are missing 4/5 of our best players with ETN being the lone survivor.

Tbh, I'm surprised we're still favored on the road given all above.

Uh, TL and Ross on offense are two of the best players in the country. They're not run of the mill guys at all. On defense Tyler Davis is our best player (AA caliber) with Skalski not far behind. You could easily argue we are missing 4/5 of our best players with ETN being the lone survivor.

Tbh, I'm surprised we're still favored on the road given all above.
Ross hasnt played all year and wasnt on Clemsons plans since spring. Stop already with the Ross stuff. Its like if Etienne went pro. Would you still be saying we dont have Etienne. Ross hasnt played ALL YEAR!!!!!! You're 7 and 0 without him. Enough.

Tyler Davis and Ladson are on the depth chart !!! Stop playing the victim and acting like your decimated with injuries. YOURE NOT. I see Mike Jones on the depth chart too

Every team injuries. You only have a few. Get over it. Play ball

Last edited:
Davis and Ladson are 1st team on the depth chart. So is Mike Jones. Thanks.

You're missing 2 guys. Lawrence and Skalski. Thats it

We have 2 starters out.

• Haha

We have 2 starters out.
They are also missing J Ross and of course not all starters are equal as they are missing arguably the best QB in the last decade.

They are also missing J Ross and of course not all starters are equal as they are missing arguably the best QB in the last decade.
Ross has been out since spring. Hasnt been in their plans in 8 months. They are 7 and 0 without him. He is not playing this whole yr. Most likey never again in college

They are missing 2 players

Ross has been out since spring. Hasnt been in their plans in 8 months. They are 7 and 0 without him. He is not playing this whole yr. Most likey never again in college

They are missing 2 players
But they are missing the two most important starters on each side of the ball plus the best player in the country. It would be the equivalent of us losing Hamilton and Book.

But they are missing the two most important starters on each side of the ball plus the best player in the country. It would be the equivalent of us losing Hamilton and Book.
More importantly its how good your backup is in the spots you're missing players. DJ and Venables are really good players.

Its not equivalent because there is a huge drop off behind Book and Hamilton.

We lost 2 starters at our weakest positon and made it extremely weak, wide receiver.

Neither team is full health. Neither team ia decimated. Play ball. No excuses either way

2012 Oklahoma finished No. 15, with 3 loses on the season. They lost to Kansas State and Texas A&M that season as well.

If your standard for an elite win is a 3 loss team that finishes outside of the top 10, that's your call. I happen to think it was an excellent win, but nowhere near beating an undefeated Clemson team that goes on to be a 1 loss playoff team, or a 0-1 loss, top 4 team in a playoff game.

Like it or not, all the games count in a season. Looking at where a team was ranked the time a game is played, instead of that team's entire body if work, is purposely ignoring reality.
Nothing like Empirical fact to shut down stupidity.

CU would be in ‘elitism’ catagory if they were at full strength. But ND is getting Clemson ‘lite’

(and ND aside, in general, CU does have too much inexperience in ‘20 to be given automatic elite status)

“There are no excuses”?

Lol. There are no excuses for a touchdown dog ND to beat the #1 team in the country that has been the best team in the country the last 5-6 years? How can there be “no excuses” when a team is a roughly 7 point dog. They’re not supposed to win the game but the know it alls tell us there “are no excuses”? That’ll make it easier to rip into anything and everything ND if they lose I guess.

We have 2 starters out.
Would be shocked if Davis plays this week. Public Depth charts are really worthless. Even if Davis is back he will be far from 100%. Might get Jones back

The 2012 Oklahoma game was on the road in a hostile environment. I think that's easily BK's biggest win. The MSU game was at home and didn't have nearly the hype, although it could be argued that it is technically a bigger win.

We have 2 starters out.
You can't be this stupid. We were talking about last week against Boston College. Don't know if those players will play this week.

Don't be stupid. As of last week (which is all we have to go on until gameday): on offense, Clemson was missing their Heisman front-runner QB, their two best deep threat receivers, their heisman candidate running back was banged up (he had to have an IV), and their slot receiver was less than 100%. That's 5 Starters that weren't healthy. On defense, they were missing their best defensive lineman (Davis), their defensive captain and best linebacker (Skalski), and their second best linebacker (Jones). Justin Foster, their other starting defensive end, has been mysteriously absent this year from some unknown illness or injury. Xavier Thomas, who's been in bad shape this year because of a bout of severe COVID, will miss the first half. They also had to limit Derion Kendrick (their best cornerback) and Nyles Pinckney (a co-starting defensive tackle and great run stopper). Those are 7 starters that weren't healthy last week.

So Clemson only had 10 healthy starters last week against Boston College. If you think it's an exaggeration to call it really banged up, you're dumb.
Please lol. I dont care about who was healthy for BC. Every team is banged up. You are out 2 starters vs ND. That's it

You can't be this stupid. We were talking about last week against Boston College. Don't know if those players will play this week.
Dont care about BC game. I wasnt talking BC. Maybe you were. I care about ND. You'll be out 2 starters

the next chance in big game would be Clemson with returning players, tOSU or Alabama.

so this is not just the best chance, it might be the last chance.

Tyler Davis and Mike Jones Jr just announced out for ND. Won’t travel with team. 5 starters out bud

but Love missed 1 whole series and ND has fans that think that was the key to the last ND vs CU game! you getting it yet?

I think Dabo is not concerned at all about this game; he is looking towards the CCG.

And if Kmet came back he would be a starter for us too. Ross hasnt played a game this year. Clemson is down 4 starters. We're down 2. Game on

It's intellectually dishonest of you to count Kevin Austin as a starter, when he played about 30 snaps this year, in games 4 and 5 of the season, neither of which games he started... That's a petty attempt at a reach.

Dont care about BC game. I wasnt talking BC. Maybe you were. I care about ND. You'll be out 2 starters
Hey know it all. Really shows what you know or like of what you know. Let me ask you if Notre Dame starting quarterback, (many on board evidently think it would help if he was out), was out, their best 2 linebackers, and their best defensive lineman was out how would you like your chances against Clemson? I'll be waiting for your response.

It's intellectually dishonest of you to count Kevin Austin as a starter, when he played about 30 snaps this year, in games 4 and 5 of the season, neither of which games he started... That's a petty attempt at a reach.
He's our best wr. Not a stretch at all.

• Haha
Hey know it all. Really shows what you know or like of what you know. Let me ask you if Notre Dame starting quarterback, (many on board evidently think it would help if he was out), was out, their best 2 linebackers, and their best defensive lineman was out how would you like your chances against Clemson? I'll be waiting for your response.
Notre dame is not Clemson.

If I had Dj as my backup I'd be fine. We don't have a best dl so we'd be fine there. We'd be fine losing our 2nd best LB because the backup os just as good. Losing our number 1 LB would hurt.

But we are out our 2 best wrs. And wr is a weak area to begin with. You are not weak at backup qb or dl. Venables is fine. Its not going to make or break this game for you.

You're mighty clemson. We're weak Notre dame. You are supposed to obliterate us right.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT