ADVERTISEMENT

Irvin Update

beach

If you guys add OG, DW, Solo and ITS an outstanding class composite of about .946.
But, whoa, Is Sewell warming to SC? He would be huge, but who gets shutout?
Irvin may have procrastinated away his shot, and ITS may do the same?

But the good news (for ND) is great shot at Irvin!

beach

If you guys add OG, DW, Solo and ITS an outstanding class composite of about .946.

ND has already moved on from Irvin. He’s not coming.

beach

I have heard he was but not from a source I think is credible. I fully expect him to go to Bama.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
ND has already moved on from Irvin. He’s not coming.

ND is probably not getting Boykin either. So leaving the door open and being aggresive with Irvin is the right tactic. SC,with only 4 rides, simply cannot get each of it’s targets. Helton made some bad early decisions.

Beach
It looks like Helton has BK’s earlier flaw, that is he only staffs with guys he has prior relationships with.
Kelly seems to have recognized there are some talented coaches if he expanded his search pool.
Helton’s possible downfall may well be whether he learns this too.

ND is probably not getting Boykin either. So leaving the door open and being aggresive with Irvin is the right tactic. SC,with only 4 rides, simply cannot get each of it’s targets. Helton made some bad early decisions.

Beach
It looks like Helton has BK’s earlier flaw, that is he only staffs with guys he has prior relationships with.
Kelly seems to have recognized there are some talented coaches if he expanded his search pool.
This doesn't even factor in UW or Bama. ND has a way better shot at Boykin flipping then Irvin at this point.

Beach

Without doubt. Remember Clay is a walk-o coach who never earned his stripes. Because of that he doesn't know who is good or bad He just knows some guys

Beach

It’s not that ND doesn’t want to be aggressive with Irvin, he isn’t coming to ND. ND is a DISTANT 4th now. If he decides to leave the West Coast (huge if) he will go to Bama, not ND.

Reactions: justified1
It’s not that ND doesn’t want to be aggressive with Irvin, he isn’t coming to ND. ND is a DISTANT 4th now. If he decides to leave the West Coast (huge if) he will go to Bama, not ND.

ND will not finish this class strong relative to its first options. This is not a doom and gloom post, just a statement of fact. ND lost the two most important assistants they had in relation to the key targets left on the board not named Lawrence Keys III.

That said, they do have the chance to repeat what they did last year and get a couple guys down the stretch that are lower down on their board but who could still wind up being contributors to winning football.

I'm terribly disappointed with what they did at corner, for the second year in a row, in an elite and deep year at CB... Close with Keys III, steal Patterson away from Michigan and UCLA and land any defensive end with a pulse, then move Jafar Armstrong to RB this off season so you can go 4 deep there. Limp to the finish but close with a top 12 class that addresses all your needs in a big way outside of CB and WDE and hope the ball bounces better for you at the end of next cycle relative to staff attrition and ability to close.

Reactions: SALittleGiant513
ND will not finish this class strong relative to its first options. This is not a doom and gloom post, just a statement of fact. ND lost the two most important assistants they had in relation to the key targets left on the board not named Lawrence Keys III.

That said, they do have the chance to repeat what they did last year and get a couple guys down the stretch that are lower down on their board but who could still wind up being contributors to winning football.

I'm terribly disappointed with what they did at corner, for the second year in a row, in an elite and deep year at CB... Close with Keys III, steal Patterson away from Michigan and UCLA and land any defensive end with a pulse, then move Jafar Armstrong to RB this off season so you can go 4 deep there. Limp to the finish but close with a top 12 class that addresses all your needs in a big way outside of CB and WDE and hope the ball bounces better for you at the end of next cycle relative to staff attrition and ability to close.

ND was a hair away from having Irvin & Gordon with Boykin as a 3rd option, to add to Allen, HG, Wilkins, Moala & Bracy.
Crazy how fast things can change.
I try to think positive about it & pretend HG just flipped to us. If 3 months ago you told people they could have Irvin, Gordon or HG most would choose HG. Problem is he flipped early so people forget how big that was for ND. With ND’s major on-field problem being safety play I am ecstatic with the pair of HG & Allen back there soon.
Next year I think ND gets top 100 OL & DL which evens out this year.

Patterson might be leaning to Neb.
(Correction: confused with Bell)

Patterson might be leaning to Neb.
(Correction: confused with Bell)
Somewhere you asked about Sewell. There was just a SCout paid piece that SC was still in it and had some momentum. The guy who wrote it kept his CB on Bama though so.... Anyway I'm sticking with my Bama guess. If something changes I will post.

Somewhere you asked about Sewell. There was just a SCout paid piece that SC was still in it and had some momentum. The guy who wrote it kept his CB on Bama though so.... Anyway I'm sticking with my Bama guess. If something changes I will post.

Bama is coming for all your targets.
Your Cali kids need to develop some loyalty and build a challenger to Bama and UGA out west at SC.
The West needs to get in this.

Your Cali kids need to develop some loyalty and build a challenger to Bama and UGA out west at SC.

You sure are obsessed with SC. Just sayin, quite familiar to another poster I recall.

Reactions: Pennick4
Well we are second in average recruit ranking so I think we will be fine. We don need tow of the three d back so we can move Biggie to safety.

Just to keep the world longest thread going. What I hear now (remember I am no insider) is that it is between USC and UW. ND and Bama are out. But remember he almost signed with ND on early signing so this is very fluid.

The question is if SC gets Irvin who gets bumped?

4 spots and 6 elite targets: DW Solo OG ITS Sewell Irvin

My gues is current commits would get boxed out if all want in.

Something has to give.

The question is if SC gets Irvin who gets bumped?

4 spots and 6 elite targets: DW Solo OG ITS Sewell Irvin

My gues is current commits would get boxed out if all want in.

Something has to give.
It depends on who is in. SC would take all three D backs and Sewell, Solo and have enough rides. With other options they would not have enough rides. Sounds crazy right? Here's how. Recruited athletes are given four year rides. No option. Walk-ons are given yearly rides in many cases as they become available. They are told not to count on them for the next year. Clay hates to not renew, but for Sewell, Sole and the 3 d-backs he would. For for others he would not.

It depends on who is in. SC would take all three D backs and Sewell, Solo and have enough rides. With other options they would not have enough rides. Sounds crazy right? Here's how. Recruited athletes are given four year rides. No option. Walk-ons are given yearly rides in many cases as they become available. They are told not to count on them for the next year. Clay hates to not renew, but for Sewell, Sole and the 3 d-backs he would. For for others he would not.

That would be a Top 5 class. With Sewell it moves from a very good to almost great recruiting class.
SC is just missing the R Green or Everson Griffith type impact DL commit. Otherwise it is a WOW.

ND's meltdown at the end of the season following the 4-8 campaign cost them a few top notch recruits. Some guys just want to win. End of story.

That would be a Top 5 class. With Sewell it moves from a very good to almost great recruiting class.

SC is just missing the R Green or Everson Griffith type impact DL commit. Otherwise it is a WOW.

Just to be clear you asked about potential. I think Sewell will go to Bama, but if he wanted to commit we could fit him in. The way I have always looked at a class is in the level of recruit, not the total, because that depends on team size. If you can only take five kids and they are all five stars you did well. You hope that it is an advantage to have kids returning. With that said SC's class in already number 2, based on average rating of recruits.

He will announce January 31st. USC, Bama or UW according to his twitter announcement.

Last edited:
UW is the benefactor of ND & USC slip ups this year. First Gordon, now Irvin.

Not surprising since Lake is known as a dirty recruiter. It is what it is I guess.

LOL the never ending thread. Looks like UW.

Never ending thread, but at least it lacks the toxicity of many of the threads here.

The never ending saga of 1 kids recruitment. All along it was presumed he wanted to be at USC.

beach
how is it going with the other 4 ? Any questions?

Never ending thread, but at least it lacks the toxicity of many of the threads here.

The never ending saga of 1 kids recruitment. All along it was presumed he wanted to be at USC.

beach
how is it going with the other 4 ? Any questions?
Well. So far as I know Solo and OG are solid, ITS maybe 60-40 to us. Not Willaims 50/50/ Not sure who replacements for loses are.

Irvin’s situation is a microcosm of modern recruiting & how kids & parents are crazy sometimes.

Now that it’s over, people are a little more open about how it went down. Pretty ridiculous I have to say.

Kid wanted to go to USC or get away from his parents. (According to sources kid has overbearing parents who run his life).
His dream school (USC) isn’t 100% interested. ND & UW are. Kid does his visits & after being slow-played by USC decides he wants to forge his own path & informs ND he will be signing early with them.
USC finds out & backpedals & says he can sign with them. This gets his parents’ attention & all of the sudden an emergency (real medical situation, but not something that prevents kid from attending ND seven months later) comes up & forces kid not to sign with ND early.
After early signing USC backs off again & once again slow plays the kid. Bama decides to take a look. Now the kid can all of a sudden leave home & travel across country. ND moves on. Bama really isn’t too interested & moves on. UW jumps back in & reminds him they always wanted him (unlike USC). He realizes USC isn’t & has never really been interested & picks UW.
Parents are not happy that he is leaving SoCal, aren’t happy with USC, but satisfied he is still on West Coast. Kid wants away from overbearing family.
Modern day recruiting at its best...

Irvin’s situation is a microcosm of modern recruiting & how kids & parents are crazy sometimes.

Now that it’s over, people are a little more open about how it went down. Pretty ridiculous I have to say.

Kid wanted to go to USC or get away from his parents. (According to sources kid has overbearing parents who run his life).
His dream school (USC) isn’t 100% interested. ND & UW are. Kid does his visits & after being slow-played by USC decides he wants to forge his own path & informs ND he will be signing early with them.
USC finds out & backpedals & says he can sign with them. This gets his parents’ attention & all of the sudden an emergency (real medical situation, but not something that prevents kid from attending ND seven months later) comes up & forces kid not to sign with ND early.
After early signing USC backs off again & once again slow plays the kid. Bama decides to take a look. Now the kid can all of a sudden leave home & travel across country. ND moves on. Bama really isn’t too interested & moves on. UW jumps back in & reminds him they always wanted him (unlike USC). He realizes USC isn’t & has never really been interested & picks UW.
Parents are not happy that he is leaving SoCal, aren’t happy with USC, but satisfied he is still on West Coast. Kid wants away from overbearing family.
Modern day recruiting at its best...

Pretty close but SC didn't slow play him after the early signing period and UW was on him from the beginning but a lot of truth here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT