ADVERTISEMENT

I know. I’m bashing red face. Again. But he deserves it

As a fan, it's fun to follow a team and its players, coaches, and administrators. Some drama is fun.

But I never forget it is also a business for these folks. With real pressures, impediments, struggles, and career management. A good % never make meaningfully make it, as the spots are limited and competition fierce.

In that context, never mind Notre Dame's poor history since Lou Holtz, I have positive memories and thoughts about CBK. He brought the Irish back to consistent contention. Actually in defiance of the how college football is devolving...and that inertia is giving Freeman and Notre Dame a fight chance against the semipro teams.

I don't dwell on CBK. He wasn't my favorite coach and had some flaws. Had a ceiling, even accounting for the disadvantages. But overall I am grateful for what he did for the program and wish him the best of luck at LSU.

He's one in a legacy of Irish coaches that has had more than a positive butterfly effect. Hell, you never know: Tommy might one day return as a top coach to Notre Dame? Legacy, which might be needed for a top coach these days at Notre Dame.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I do not adore anyone. What I do know is that Brian Kelly took a dumpster fire of a program that was near bottom in 2009, and spent 12 years grinding the program back to where it is today. The roster you saw yesterday is largely Brian Kelly led, and frankly, I am not surprised in the least that someone in the upper echelon of the SEC handed Kelly 100 million guaranteed to lead their program, nor am I surprised Nick Saban handed Tommy Rees, from the Brian Kelly coaching tree, 6 million guaranteed to be his OC. I would as well.
What exactly goes into a head coach working the alumni circuit? Is it anything more than an occasional lunch?

What exactly goes into a head coach working the alumni circuit? Is it anything more than an occasional lunch?

I cannot speak knowledgeably about other schools, but with ND there are alumni clubs in almost every major city. Once a year alumni clubs across the country host Universal Notre Dame night, so alumni can gather and catch up with each other. Frequently the clubs have game watches during the season (often at a nice Irish pub somewhere) and then dinners or fund raisers at other times during the year. Often those clubs like to invite the head football coach to speak to the group, and they may use that as an opportunity to host a fund raiser dinner. I saw Lou Holtz speak a couple of times at such events, but until Marcus Freeman became HC I never heard of any head coach after Lou doing those dinners. (Maybe they did them, but I just didn't hear about them.) I think Lou enjoyed talking to groups, and he was always entertaining. With Marcus Freeman, I think he sees it as part of the responsibility of being the HC at ND. I would love to go see him speak. Shortly after he became HC I recall he spoke before an alumni group somewhere in Florida, and they raved about him. I think Lou may have spoken at the same dinner.

Last edited:
I did a little internet sleuthing and found this YouTube video of MF speaking at the ND Alumni Association Leadership Conference in 2022. Dolly Duffy, ED of the ND Alumni Association, moderated the talk. It is a little long, but it will give you a sense of who MF is and how he has embraced being at ND:

I am blessed to be a graduate of Notre Dame, but for those of you on this board who are not--and I know there are many--you might like this quote from MF as he explained the power of the Notre Dame network: "It is understanding you don't have to be a graduate to be a part of the [power of the Notre Dame] network." God bless all of you Subway Alumni!

MF isn't as funny as Lou Holtz, and doesn't have Lou's colloquialisms or inspirational sayings, but he is an excellent and articulate speaker in his own right, and exudes a genuine passion for ND. It isn't hard to see why he does well when he goes into the living room of a recruit before the recruit's mother and father.

As a fan, it's fun to follow a team and its players, coaches, and administrators. Some drama is fun.

But I never forget it is also a business for these folks. With real pressures, impediments, struggles, and career management. A good % never make meaningfully make it, as the spots are limited and competition fierce.

In that context, never mind Notre Dame's poor history since Lou Holtz, I have positive memories and thoughts about CBK. He brought the Irish back to consistent contention. Actually in defiance of the how college football is devolving...and that inertia is giving Freeman and Notre Dame a fight chance against the semipro teams.

I don't dwell on CBK. He wasn't my favorite coach and had some flaws. Had a ceiling, even accounting for the disadvantages. But overall I am grateful for what he did for the program and wish him the best of luck at LSU.

He's one in a legacy of Irish coaches that has had more than a positive butterfly effect. Hell, you never know: Tommy might one day return as a top coach to Notre Dame? Legacy, which might be needed for a top coach these days at Notre Dame.

Fingers crossed.
Never liked the prick from the beginning. Arrogant as hell, throwing his players under the bus, always blaming somebody else(coaches/players) but never himself. He did turn the program around, I'll give him that. However, he could never win big games. Never won a championship or big bowl game, most of the time he got outcoached/outplayed and his teams didn't look prepared. I'm very happy he is gone and hope the Cajuns kick his ass out of LA soon. LSU won't put up with no NC unlike ND.

Never liked the prick from the beginning. Arrogant as hell, throwing his players under the bus, always blaming somebody else(coaches/players) but never himself. He did turn the program around, I'll give him that. However, he could never win big games. Never won a championship or big bowl game, most of the time he got outcoached/outplayed and his teams didn't look prepared. I'm very happy he is gone and hope the Cajuns kick his ass out of LA soon. LSU won't put up with no NC unlike ND.
He's a better fit at LSU - doesn't need to recruit - even pathetic ED O won a championship at LSU.

8 years and $100mil.

He's a better fit at LSU - doesn't need to recruit - even pathetic ED O won a championship at LSU.

Kelly might not be the best coach in college football. But is he worse than Ed Orgeron and Les Miles? Both those guys managed to win NCs with local talent.

ed-orgeron-campus-unionjpg.jpg

Kelly might not be the best coach in college football. But is he worse than Ed Orgeron and Les Miles? Both those guys managed to win NCs with local talent.

ed-orgeron-campus-unionjpg.jpg
The difference is, Les Miles and Ed O had really good coordinators he let run their respective units. Kelly continues to hire his buddies and likes to be involved in the Offense.

The difference is, Les Miles and Ed O had really good coordinators he let run their respective units. Kelly continues to hire his buddies and likes to be involved in the Offense.

We shall see. He did fairly well in year one.

I think FSU beats LSU this weekend, though.

I'm not saying he's not going to do well. He'll have his 10 win seasons, but it's the teams he needs to beat to get to that next level. Big Game Brian he is not.
Beat Bama Year 1-----that's kind of a big win .

I'm not saying he's not going to do well. He'll have his 10 win seasons, but it's the teams he needs to beat to get to that next level. Big Game Brian he is not.

As long as he surrounds himself with good recruiters, IMO he will do well. Saban is on his way out. I could see this being Nick's final season.

With the 12 team playoff, Kelly will only have to finish in the top 4 of the SEC to make the playoff.

My guess is Joe loved Davie, Willingham, and Weis.
YOU loved Weis until the bitter end. Carrying water for him just like you did for douchebag Kelly. Just stop.

As long as he surrounds himself with good recruiters, IMO he will do well. Saban is on his way out. I could see this being Nick's final season.

With the 12 team playoff, Kelly will only have to finish in the top 4 of the SEC to make the playoff.
I thought Saban was leaving 2 season ago.....who really knows?

But the point is still the same....against the best of the best he falls short

Reactions: Chitown11
Beat Bama Year 1-----that's kind of a big win .
and got blown out vs Tennessee and Georgia. Bama wasn't as good as they normally are, similar to that win vs Clemson in that weird covid year. Add in he got completely out coached by Luke Fickell in 2021. They had no business losing to Cincinnati.

Last edited:
WOW!!!!! That is incredible, BK had one big win in 12 fricking years!! LOL

Nah. He had a few big wins. Off the top of my head, OU, LSU, Clemson. I am sure there were others.

Fans tend to forget the big wins but forever remember the big losses.

OK so he had 3, LOL. Maybe a couple more? None that ring a bell. Great job big game Brian!!

How many big games did he lose? Three? Five?

A 50/50 big game comes up. If ND wins, it wasn't really a big game. If ND loses, it's "KELLY ALWAYS LOSES THE BIG GAMES!!!".

He didn't win any playoff games. But that is true of over 90% of coaches.

Don't get me wrong. I hate Kelly as a human being. I just don't think he is the world's worst coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT