Aug 24, 2003
Joe Montana. Joe. Ffin Montana. Basically checked out on ND because of Kelly

Jude

·
Aug 26, 2023
@ndjrs
·
Follow
I know Joe Montana has had a multi-year relationship with Guinness, but I cannot recall a sideline interview during a Notre Dame game with him for a long time. If Montana held an animus against the program/university, it may have been extinguished with Brian Kelly's departure.

Pete Sampson

@PeteSampson_
·
Follow
Spent a little time with Montana on Friday and asked about that. The Kelly relationship basically soured him on Notre Dame. He couldn’t remember the last Notre Dame game he attended. But he did develop a relationship with Freeman in the past year.

Joe was very unhappy with the way Kelly treated Joe's son, Nate, and that is why he distanced himself from the university. Joe thought Kelly was dishonest with his son. Glad to see that MF has tried to mend those fences, and has apparently succeeded. In fact a lot of former players have expressed gratitude with the way Marcus Freeman has reached out to them. Jerome Bettis, for example, has had a lot of nice things to say about Coach Freeman.

My guess is Joe loved Davie, Willingham, and Weis.

Guess, or know? Even so, what would it matter? Are you seriously so sensitive about Kelly that you can’t possibly comprehend anyone feeling differently about him than you? Especially someone who’s actually tied in with the program such as Joe Montana? Damn dude. You’ve got a serious problem on your hands. 😂

Guess, or know? Even so, what would it matter? Are you seriously so sensitive about Kelly that you can’t possibly comprehend anyone feeling differently about him than you? Especially someone who’s actually tied in with the program such as Joe Montana? Damn dude. You’ve got a serious problem on your hands. 😂
Joe Montana > Brian Kelly
Jerome Bettis> Brian Kelly
Lou Holtz > Brian Kelly

My guess is Joe loved Davie, Willingham, and Weis.
Kelly alienated many former players. Here you are bashing anyone criticizing Rees because how dare anyone do that to a Notre Dame graduate, yet you take Kelly's side over Montana who is a Notre Dame graduate and has built more of a legacy at Notre Dame than Kelly ever could. Hypocrisy, look it up.

Joe Montana > Brian Kelly
Jerome Bettis> Brian Kelly
Lou Holtz > Brian Kelly

Maybe SJB75 should email Pete Sampson and figure out why Pete had the audacity to interview Joe Montana and ask him why he hasn’t seen him in a long time. I mean the nerve Pete Sampson has….

May the good Lord help SJB75.

Kelly alienated many former players. Here you are bashing anyone criticizing Rees because how dare anyone do that to a Notre Dame graduate, yet you take Kelly's side over Montana who is a Notre Dame graduate and has built more of a legacy than Kelly ever could. Hypocrisy, look it up.

This 100%. This guy (SJB75) has seriously lost his mind. Pray for him

Joe was very unhappy with the way Kelly treated Joe's son, Nate, and that is why he distanced himself from the university. Joe thought Kelly was dishonest with his son. Glad to see that MF has tried to mend those fences, and has apparently succeeded. In fact a lot of former players have expressed gratitude with the way Marcus Freeman has reached out to them. Jerome Bettis, for example, has had a lot of nice things to say about Coach Freeman.
Kind of see a pattern there with Kelly, didn't Jurkovec pretty much allude to the same treatment.

Reactions: notredame79
I don't understand this complete devotion and adoration for Kelly. He never won anything of significance . zero major bowl wins, zero playoff wins. Consistently blown out and embarrassed vs top 5 and 10 teams. 10 win seasons his last 5 years at ND against quite arguably the easiest schedules ND has ever played. I don't get it.
And to top it off they compare him to the coaching failures at ND instead of the championship head coaches. Way to set the bar low.

I don't understand this complete devotion and adoration for Kelly. He never won anything of significance . zero major bowl wins, zero playoff wins. Consistently blown out and embarrassed vs top 5 and 10 teams. 10 win seasons his last 5 years at ND against quite arguably the easiest schedules ND has ever played. I don't get it.
And to top it off they compare him to the coaching failures at ND instead of the championship head coaches. Way to set the bar low.
Kelly guys set that bar out of their arse!

Reactions: NDinNJ
It’s a fair point Ski, and worth the repetition. Kelly did a lot of positive things in rebuilding the program, but his alienation of prior players was a major negative of his stewardship. Freeman’s first Spring game had former players roaming the sidelines and interacting with players and fans, and it was a great look. Freeman had a better handle on the pulse of ND nation after his first month than Kelly had in ten years. That said, Freeman will, and should be judged on the quality of play on the field and ultimately the won loss record. In that regard, Kelly was a hell of an improvement over Weis, and hope that freeman will prove to be a hell of an improvement over Kelly.

I do not adore anyone. What I do know is that Brian Kelly took a dumpster fire of a program that was near bottom in 2009, and spent 12 years grinding the program back to where it is today. The roster you saw yesterday is largely Brian Kelly led, and frankly, I am not surprised in the least that someone in the upper echelon of the SEC handed Kelly 100 million guaranteed to lead their program, nor am I surprised Nick Saban handed Tommy Rees, from the Brian Kelly coaching tree, 6 million guaranteed to be his OC. I would as well.

Last edited:
I do not adore anyone. What I do know is that Brian Kelly took a dumpster fire of a program that was near bottom in 2009, and spent 12 years grinding the program back to where it is today. The roster you saw yesterday is largely Brian Kelly led, and frankly, I am not surprised in the least that someone in the upper echelon of the SEC handed Kelly 100 million guaranteed to lead their program, nor am I surprised Nick Saban handed Tommy Rees, from the Brian Kelly coaching tree, 6 million guaranteed to be his OC. I would as well.
And he left the program with an empty WR room, and a QB room that was lacking any experience. The other dumb point the Kelly admirers make is the 100 million, but they forget to mention Kelly was LSU's 3 or 4th choice. 😂. Good for Kelly and his agent for being able to get that deal. LSU will find out soon enough it was money not well spent. They won't give Kelly 12 years to win a championship. 😂

And he left the program with an empty WR room, and a QB room that was lacking any experience. The other dumb point the Kelly admirers make is the 100 million, but they forget to mention Kelly was LSU's 3 or 4th choice. 😂. Good for Kelly and his agent for being able to get that deal. LSU will find out soon enough it was money not well spent. They won't give Kelly 12 years to win a championship. 😂
I don't give a shit if Brian Kelly was the 33rd choice. He went from 12 years at Notre Dame building what you see now, to 100 million guaranteed and the upper echelon of the SEC.

Not bad at all.

Reactions: Pennick4
I don't give a shit if Brian Kelly was the 33rd choice. He went from 12 years at Notre Dame building what you see now, to 100 million guaranteed and the upper echelon of the SEC.

Not bad at all.
YAWN.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Joe Montana. Joe. Ffin Montana. Basically checked out on ND because of Kelly

Jude
·
Aug 26, 2023
@ndjrs
·
Follow
I know Joe Montana has had a multi-year relationship with Guinness, but I cannot recall a sideline interview during a Notre Dame game with him for a long time. If Montana held an animus against the program/university, it may have been extinguished with Brian Kelly's departure.

Pete Sampson
@PeteSampson_
·
Follow
Spent a little time with Montana on Friday and asked about that. The Kelly relationship basically soured him on Notre Dame. He couldn’t remember the last Notre Dame game he attended. But he did develop a relationship with Freeman in the past year.
Pure B.S.

Notre Dame is larger than any one individual !

The love is for the institution, the University, not a coach, administrator or player.

What kind of Notre Dame graduate abandons Notre Dame because of an employee, coach or player.

PURE B.S. !

I mean, you don’t have to look too far to figure out what he’s all about. Just ask HIS former assistant coaches who were at Tobias Merryweather’s house the last night of his tenure.
all assistant coaches who would be happy to serve another post under him at his new institution if asked

I agree with you. What did BK do to Nate Montana? Lotta former great players kids for whatever reason aren’t as good as their dads. Did Joe feel Nate should be a starter?

Got it. That being said, people are allowed to criticize Kelly for other areas, like the OP.

So stop being a Leftie, and yes that is also a political reference

Reactions: DublinND

Not bad at all.
Stop it. You make him sound like the second coming of Ara Parseghian
Notre Dames Name carried them and BK got embarrassed in every playoff/BCS.

I agree with you. What did BK do to Nate Montana? Lotta former great players kids for whatever reason aren’t as good as their dads. Did Joe feel Nate should be a starter?
Joe never got over that, and resented Brian Kelly for it. And that's fine. "Blood is thicker than water."

Pure B.S.

Notre Dame is larger than any one individual !

The love is for the institution, the University, not a coach, administrator or player.

What kind of Notre Dame graduate abandons Notre Dame because of an employee, coach or player.

PURE B.S. !
No you are not accurate on this Pat. Montana did not abandon his school. He was uncomfortable and disappointed in the head coach So he stayed away. It was not about his son. It was about Kelly’s lack of interpersonal skills. We all make choices like that. It comes down to level of tolerance. I cannot stand woke Jenkins but I still support ND. But I don’t interact personally like Montana did. If you see how someone acts up close it can affect you

It can get personal and tons of former players feel the same as Montana. Kelly never “got” ND

That does not mean they abandoned their school.

When some Americans can’t stand an elected politician they don’t necessarily move away. They wait for the next opportunity to get someone new. But some do move away or stay away. It’s about tolerance

I’m not saying your opinion is wrong. I’m saying it’s not as clear cut as you say.

Kelly won. He’s a good coach. A big part of the ND fan base do not like how he conducted himself.

Last edited:
Joe was misplaced in this situation
No. It’s not about Joes son. It’s about how Kelly interacts with people. Numerous examples about this. I’ll take Lou Holtz, Players, Dick Vitales, and Joe Montanas assessment on this. Even Swarbrick was not pleased with Kelly’s conduct during his exit Kelly is a good coach. He has interpersonal failings

No. It’s not about Joes son. It’s about how Kelly interacts with people. Numerous examples about this. I’ll take Lou Holtz, Players, Dick Vitales, and Joe Montanas assessment on this. Even Swarbrick was not pleased with Kelly’s conduct during his exit Kelly is a good coach. He has interpersonal failings
I heard from an analyst that it was about Nate and what BK supposedly promised him…so third hand

But I am with you on BK’s personality and how he talked down to people, I saw it first hand a couple times and also heard some stories

I always kept it pretty tight but will tell you that BK’s post LSU comments were bullshit. He wanted a restructured contract and guaranteed retirement commitment in 2022 (mind you it would have been Kelly’s 4th negotiation) and Jack said we will talk after 2023…so his attempts to rewrite history are pathetic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT