ADVERTISEMENT

Guy’s we will miss Tommy

What exactly was “wrong” with the ND offense?

Tommy was the OC for what 3 seasons?

Outside of last season (where we all agree the top issue was the QB) ND had a good offense.

What games did the offense lose for ND?

Tommy coached
2020- 10-2 made playoffs
2021- 11-2
2022- 9-4
The defense was better in all 3 seasons than the offense. So after the head coach the credit would go the DC moreso than the OC

So if your giving credit for wins and losses to a coordinator which is just silly, it would go to the defensive coordinator before him

He never had a top 20 offense in his 3 years. The offense the 3 previous seasons to him taking over were a little better than his. So we actually downgraded as an offense compared to Chip

His offense against Clemson and Alabama in 20 could not move the ball or score at all. 12ppg in our 2 biggest games

The best team we played in a weak 21 schedule was Cincinnati and we scored a whopping 13 points at home.

In 22 against one of the worst p5 teams and worst teams overall in cfb Stanford we scored a eye popping 14 points. Marshall held us to 21 and we lost. How did we only score 21? Against our best opponent in 22 we scored a whopping 10 points vs OSU.

Reactions: Shank-O
Rees appeared to have learned BK's insistence that the players learn his system instead of adapting the system to the players. Rees himself suffered through three years as starting qb yet Kelly refused to switch to a run first offense. So while Rees is certainly very talented in scheming pass routes with some RPOs, I am still happy to see ND try something else.
I agree with you about BK’s insistence, the exact opposite of Ara’s approach.

Reactions: tbonesays
A bitchy one too. Not happy unless shes arguing with somebody.
Bad news for you and the other dolts, I’m happy all of the time, including the time I argue with you snd some of the other morons on this site ! 😜

What exactly was “wrong” with the ND offense?

Tommy was the OC for what 3 seasons?

Outside of last season (where we all agree the top issue was the QB) ND had a good offense.

What games did the offense lose for ND?

Tommy coached
2020- 10-2 made playoffs
2021- 11-2
2022- 9-4
As the great American philosopher, Bill Parcels stated, you are what your record says you are, and in TR’s case the record is exemplary !

Reactions: Zorich 88
The defense was better in all 3 seasons than the offense. So after the head coach the credit would go the DC moreso than the OC

So if your giving credit for wins and losses to a coordinator which is just silly, it would go to the defensive coordinator before him

He never had a top 20 offense in his 3 years. The offense the 3 previous seasons to him taking over were a little better than his. So we actually downgraded as an offense compared to Chip

His offense against Clemson and Alabama in 20 could not move the ball or score at all. 12ppg in our 2 biggest games

The best team we played in a weak 21 schedule was Cincinnati and we scored a whopping 13 points at home.

In 22 against one of the worst p5 teams and worst teams overall in cfb Stanford we scored an eye popping 14 points. Marshall held us to 21 and we lost. How did we only score 21? Against our best opponent in 22 we scored a whopping 10 points vs OSU.
The OC/DC deserves equal recognition as the HC.

These are not just position coaches that we are talking about. The OC/DC calls the plays and the players execute. Coordinators play a major role of the success of a program.

As far as top 20. Are you referring to points scored? That stat is pretty distorted. Check the top 20 scoring offenses in 2020.

Kent state
BYU
UCF
Western Michigan
Buffalo
North Carolina

Not very good teams. Points scored should not be a major stat.

The OC/DC deserves equal recognition as the HC.

These are not just position coaches that we are talking about. The OC/DC calls the plays and the players execute. Coordinators play a major role of the success of a program.

As far as top 20. Are you referring to points scored? That stat is pretty distorted. Check the top 20 scoring offenses in 2020.

Kent state
BYU
UCF
Western Michigan
Buffalo
North Carolina

Not very good teams. Points scored should not be a major stat.
No.

Head coach deserves/recieves the most credit/blame

And the defense was better than offense in his 3 seasons as OC

Also, Chip Long was better than TR.

No excuses for not being in the top 20 for 3 years

No.

Was Chip top 20? The offense under Tommy looked almost identical to what Chip did. I am a fan of both.

You have said multiple times Chip is a good OC. He did nothing better than Tommy.

What did the Chip offense do that the Tommy offense didn’t do???

No.

Maybe the defense was good because the offense kept them off of the field ! 😜

Was Chip top 20? The offense under Tommy looked almost identical to what Chip did. I am a fan of both.

You have said multiple times Chip is a good OC. He did nothing better than Tommy.

In 2017 it seemed to me that the running plays spent a lot less time in the backfield or going sideways than was the case in the Rees offenses.

Scored more points than Tommys. I said Chip was a little better than Tommy was at ND. I never said he was good or bad

Chips best offense was 13th in the country in ppg

Scored more points than Tommys. I said Chip was a little better than Tommy was at ND. I never said he was good or bad

Chips best offense was 13th in the country in ppg
Why didn't Nick Saban hire Chip Long to be the Alabama OC?

Is Nick Saban negligent running the Alabama program?

Don't know. Don't really care. I can just go by what they did at Notre Dame.

I dont care what Tommy Rees does at Alabama or in the future.

All I know is what he did at ND which is all that matters to me

Was Kelly negligent when he hired BVG?

Or Gerad Parker?

Nick Saban had his choice.

Is Nick Saban a fraud?

I thought he tried to. Or was that Sanford?

Long is from the Norvel tree and l like that offensive style.

Also just saw that Todd Graham is an administrator in high school. But in Plano Texas so likely one of the best places.

TR was 30-8 at ND.

That’s a winning percentage of 79 %

That’s impressive.

What other OC’s have that winning percentage ?

TR is no longer the OC at ND so why is there an ongoing discussion and debate about his performance at ND ?

His record at ND speaks for itself, ND was 30-8 while he was the OC.

TR was 30-8 at ND.

That’s a winning percentage of 79 %

That’s impressive.

What other OC’s have that winning percentage ?

TR is no longer the OC at ND so why is there an ongoing discussion and debate about his performance at ND ?

His record at ND speaks for itself, ND was 30-8 while he was the OC.
Wins and losses is a Head Coaching stat. Not a OC stat.

Im going to evaluate the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR on how the offense performed.

just like I would evaluate how good a defensive coordinator is by how their defense performs

People are trying every which way to defend this guy by using every other metric besides how the offense was

just like I would evaluate how good a defensive coordinator is by how their defense performs

People are trying every which way to defend this guy by using every other metric besides how the offense was
Losing Tommy is a big deal.

If Nick didn’t come knocking, who would be the ND OC right now, GP or Tommy?

You are putting a lot of confidence in Freeman that he picked the right guy.

Really is, Freeman would still have Tommy as his OC. I think you and Freeman disagree on that point.

But with GP you have all kinds of confidence in Freeman’s choice.

I am a big Freeman fan but I think he missed on this one.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
There's no way to really know from the outside, but I feel Freeman has his guy at OC, DC and the position coaches are all Freeman's guys. Is Tommy better that GP? None of us can make that judgement. But Freeman no longer has the long arm of the ND administration hovering over his shoulder (TR). This is now 100% his team. That alone should help him coaching this coming year.

Really is, Freeman would still have Tommy as his OC. I think you and Freeman disagree on that point.

Tommy was okay here. Plenty of guys could replicate what he did with our talent. It wasn't anything great

I'm not worried about OC at all

Just come back when we score more points this season than any year under Rees

Reactions: Chitown11
Tommy was okay here. Plenty of guys could replicate what he did with our talent. It wasn't anything great

Nick missed out on Chip Long and Gerad Parker.

Negligent leadership.

Rees left us in a lurch at a late date, since Alabama's former OC didn't leave until so late. So there weren't that many choices available at that point. But bringing in Guidugli as QB Coach should help, though.

Rees left us in a lurch at a late date, since Alabama's former OC didn't leave until so late. So there weren't that many choices available at that point. But bringing in Guidugli as QB Coach should help, though.
That’s absolutely not true !
TR agreed to stay an additional year when Kelly left.
Kelly wanted to take TR to LSU, but TR rejected Kelly’s lucrative offer and remained loyal to ND when ND was without a HC.

Get your facts right before posting !

Let me see if I understand your position correctly.

Both Kelly and Saban wanted Rees to be the OC at LSU and Alabama respectively, and they were going to pay him seven figures to be their OC.

But you think that Kelly and Saban know less about the qualities of an OC’s than you do.

So you think that Kelly and Saban are wrong and you’re right.

Have I expressed your opinion accurately ?

That’s absolutely not true !
TR agreed to stay an additional year when Kelly left.
Kelly wanted to take TR to LSU, but TR rejected Kelly’s lucrative offer and remained loyal to ND when ND was without a HC.

Get your facts right before posting !
I was talking about this year, when Rees left us on February 13, which is late.

I was talking about this year, when Rees left us on February 13, which is late.
You have to consider that if he waited any longer that the OC position at Alabama would no longer be available.

You seem to forget that he was coaching ND on December 30th against South Carolina, you also don’t know the date that the Alabama offer was made.

Six weeks after the Gator Bowl isn’t an unreasonable time frame, you’re being excessively critical

Let me see if I understand your position correctly.

Both Kelly and Saban wanted Rees to be the OC at LSU and Alabama respectively, and they were going to pay him seven figures to be their OC.

But you think that Kelly and Saban know less about the qualities of an OC’s than you do.

So you think that Kelly and Saban are wrong and you’re right.

Have I expressed your opinion accurately ?
1. I dont think TR is a bad OC. Just an average one at this point.

2. Kelly hired BVG

Thank Tommy Rees for attracting, recruiting, and enticing Sam Hartman to Notre Dame.

When Sam signed on, Tommy was the OC.

Thank Tommy Rees for attracting, recruiting, and enticing Sam Hartman to Notre Dame.

When Sam signed on, Tommy was the OC.
I do. As long as thanking him for bringing in the QBs last year. And not having any scholarship qbs ready to go this year where we wouldn't need a transfer

You have to consider that if he waited any longer that the OC position at Alabama would no longer be available.

You seem to forget that he was coaching ND on December 30th against South Carolina, you also don’t know the date that the Alabama offer was made.

Six weeks after the Gator Bowl isn’t an unreasonable time frame, you’re being excessively critical
I wasn't being critical. I was just stating the fact that at the late date Rees left, it left Freeman in a bind. So he ended up having to promote Parker from within. But hopefully it'll work out well.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I wasn't being critical. I was just stating the fact that at the late date Rees left, it left Freeman in a bind. So he ended up having to promote Parker from within. But hopefully it'll work out well.
The root of the entire mess is BK and how and when he abandoned ND.

Every coach and every manager makes mistakes.

Don't care if Rees does well or bad at Bama.

We know what he did here
When it comes to football I have to take Kelly’s and Saban’s knowledge, experience and football IQ’s over your opinions.

I want to see Rees, a fellow Notre Dame graduate, succeed at Alabama.

Correct, we do know what he did at ND, his record was 30-8, and that’s impressive.

When it comes to football I have to take Kelly’s and Saban’s knowledge, experience and football IQ’s over your opinions.

I want to see Rees, a fellow Notre Dame graduate, succeed at Alabama.

Correct, we do know what he did at ND, his record was 30-8, and that’s impressive.
I believe that was a team effort

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT