ADVERTISEMENT

Guy’s we will miss Tommy

If you insist on using the phrase stated opinion, would you please read the post to see if I stated anything of the sort?

Yeah you do. New guy could actually be a worse OC and have better results with a better QB. But upper level coaches and coordinators get judged on the bottom line. I don't recall a year that the Kelly-Rees system really rolled the thunder. The best years can be attributed to Kizer-Fuller or Book's scrambling under Chip Long.
I guess my issue with the hire is why did ND hire a guy with a bad resume??? Why bring in an unproven OC?

GP could be great or he could be bad. Why bring in an unproven guy to run the offense?

So it’s your stated opinion that when ND fails to score, that the sole party responsible for that failure is the OC.

NOT the players on the field and not the opposing defense, but the OC.

You know nothing about football !
I would think th OC has some responsibility

Again, it’s more than stats. You can say the same thing if the offense is good but the defense is bad.

What’s the average field position? If the defense gives up a lot of points early does that force the offense to come out of the original game plan?

If a team has a bad OC/DC that will stick out for everyone to see.

Tommy did a good job at ND. He is a good OC.

What’s amazing is the majority of people outside of ND believe Tommy is a good OC. I only see NF fans saying Tommy i
I think you would find that with ever fan base

Dead,

It makes perfect sense.

One only has to read these posts to see and understand the angst and ire directed toward Buchner and Rees, Notre Dame men.

And there is a distinctive separation of perspective between fans that are alum and non-alum.

Constructive criticism carries an inherent value with it, without constructive criticism progress is impossible !

But just bitching at every imperfection, contains little if any value.

Never forget that the enemy of good and great is ……… perfect !

I‘m not one to “follow the crowd”, so the sentiment of the fan base doesn’t influence me as I tend to make up my mind based on the hard data points that are presented to me.

My criticism of Weis was that he seemed to diminish the defensive aspect of the game by over emphasis on the offensive aspect of the game.

I hope that helps to explain my position and my defense of the attacks on Buchner and Rees.
I've not seen a post critical of Buchner especially with what he did at the gator bowl.
He should of stayed and battled it out with Hartman.

Could you cite examples where he was awful

Why would Saban, who has so many candidates to choose from, hire an awful OC ?
I didnt say ge was an awful OC

I swear you can't read anymore or you are getting old you forget things

I guess my issue with the hire is why did ND hire a guy with a bad resume??? Why bring in an unproven OC?

GP could be great or he could be bad. Why bring in an unproven guy to run the offense?
Head coach thinks he's the right guy.

Let's see if he was right.

Don't forget to come back here when we die more ppg than any year under Rees. Deal?

I didnt say ge was an awful OC

I swear you can't read anymore or you are getting old you forget things
My reading comprehension skill remain sharp.

Here’s what you said.

”He was great at times, awful at times, solid at times.“

I’m aware of the distinction between being an awful OC and being an OC who is awful at times“

So why would Saban hire an OC is who “awful at times” ?

Why would Saban pay $ 2,000,000 to an OC who is “awful at times” ?

Could it be that Saban’s professional assessment of his coaching abilities is much more sophisticated and informed than your amateur opinion ?

I get it now. A coach who makes a lot of money means they are a great coach. Right....
I think that’s how it works !

You reward expertise and performance by placing a premium on those attributes, and that premium presents itself in the form of compensation, or as you put it more money !

Don't forget to come back here when we die more ppg than any year under Rees. Deal?
That’s not a valid comparison because the players, the talent level is different as are the
opponents.

If ND scores less ppg it wouldn’t be fair to make the reverse argument.

I think that’s how it works !

You reward expertise and performance by placing a premium on those attributes, and that premium presents itself in the form of compensation, or as you put it more money !
Really. That's how it works?

We paid Charlie a lot of money and he flopped. Mich st paid Mel Tucker a boat load of money and flop he went. Texas has paid their last 3 head coaches a ton of money after mack Brown and they flopped. Same with FSU after Jimbo. Flops.

Bvg got paid well at ND, how did that work out?

Nebraska paid their last head coach a ton of money he got run out of town.

Getting paid a lot does not mean you are great at your job and guarantee success

Reactions: Chitown11

We paid Charlie a lot of money and he flopped. Mich st paid Mel Tucker a boat load of money and flop he went. Texas has paid their last 3 head coaches a ton of money after mack Brown and they flopped. Same with FSU after Jimbo. Flops.

Getting paid a lot does not mean you are great at your job and guarantee success
Michigan St., Florida St., Nebraska, and Texas aren't Alabama.

Not even close.

Using empirical facts not allowed against low emotional IQ dolts.

Using empirical facts not allowed against low emotional IQ dolts.
Nick Saban of Alabama, arguably the best head coach coaching arguably the strongest program in all of CFB, just hired 30-year-old Tommy Rees to navigate the Alabama offense. An "empirical fact..."

So we are judging GP based off of points per game????

Are we not factoring in personal at all???

ND had a lot of 30 plus point games with Tommy. We better see a lot of 40 point games then.

You don’t have to worry about me coming back to the board to eat crow.

I told you, I hope GP serves me up crow 14 straight weeks.

Wait, are you saying a QB line Book was not missed last season? Book was a very good college QB that everyone on this board would have loved to have him last season.
He played on the team 2 years ago. You can say we missed Coan because he was the QB the year prior.

I have no clue what Book has to do with it.

So we are judging GP based off of points per game????

Are we not factoring in personal at all???

ND had a lot of 30 plus point games with Tommy. We better see a lot of 40 point games then.

You don’t have to worry about me coming back to the board to eat crow.

I told you, I hope GP serves me up crow 14 straight weeks.
Tommy was the OC and QB coach. He was responsible for the personnel. Stop trying to make excuses for him

Tommy was the OC and QB coach. He was responsible for the personnel. Stop trying to make excuses for him
Nick Saban certainly didn't make excuses.

None.

Handed 30-year-old Tommy Rees the keys to the Alabama offense.

Getting paid a lot does mean that you’re good at your job.

Weis was a great OC and worth every penny as an OC.

It was ND that decided to take him out of his element and promote him to HC.

A good number of colleges make the same mistake of taking a coach who is successful at one level and elevating him to a higher level.

Today, politics influences promotions in every area including the selection of coaches.

Nothing guarantees success, but you’re not getting an established, successful coach on the cheap.

After he was turned down
Who turned him down ?

Produce documented confirmation from Saban and/or those who you claim turned him down or admit that you’re just spreading an unconfirmed rumor as fact !

Already did
You’re lying …… again !

You provided unconfirmed third party hearsay.

You have failed to provide direct source documentation from Saban or Grubb that confirms that Saban offered the job to Grubb and that Grubb rejected the offer.

You’re intellectually dishonest and you‘re a fraud !

You’re lying …… again !

You provided unconfirmed third party hearsay.

You have failed to provide direct source documentation from Saban or Grubb that confirms that Saban offered the job to Grubb and that Grubb rejected the offer.

You’re intellectually dishonest and you‘re a fraud !
you're a sad old woman

Reactions: Chitown11
Why factor in personnel then?

Tommy had years and years to bring in better talent
There was some very good NFL talent at ND while Tommy was OC

I think it’s crazy for anyone to call Tommy average. The guy is what 30 and is the OC at Alabama????

That is way above average. It’s not like Tommy was fired then went to a smaller school.

But I am hoping GP will be at least as good as Tommy.

I also hope he is a better recruiter than Tommy

There was some very good NFL talent at ND while Tommy was OC

I think it’s crazy for anyone to call Tommy average. The guy is what 30 and is the OC at Alabama????

That is way above average. It’s not like Tommy was fired then went to a smaller school.

But I am hoping GP will be at least as good as Tommy.

I also hope he is a better recruiter than Tommy
If he had very good talent why wasnt his offenses better than they were?

Rees appeared to have learned BK's insistence that the players learn his system instead of adapting the system to the players. Rees himself suffered through three years as starting qb yet Kelly refused to switch to a run first offense. So while Rees is certainly very talented in scheming pass routes with some RPOs, I am still happy to see ND try something else.

What exactly was “wrong” with the ND offense?

Tommy was the OC for what 3 seasons?

Outside of last season (where we all agree the top issue was the QB) ND had a good offense.

What games did the offense lose for ND?

Tommy coached
2020- 10-2 made playoffs
2021- 11-2
2022- 9-4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT