ADVERTISEMENT

Brey proving fan forums are clueless.

floridairish

ND Expert
Oct 30, 2006
And Brian Kelly will do the same in the fall. Stay in your lane For Mike Brey & Brian Kelly it is coaching D1A sports at the highest level.

For nitwits on a fan form it is just watching the game and enjoying your team win or being sad when your team loses But never ever ever try to figure out why it happened Because it will sound silly and stupid. Want evidence? Read this forum.

And Brian Kelly will do the same in the fall. Stay in your lane For Mike Brey & Brian Kelly it is coaching D1A sports at the highest level.

For nitwits on a fan form it is just watching the game and enjoying your team win or being sad when your team loses But never ever ever try to figure out why it happened Because it will sound silly and stupid. Want evidence? Read this forum.
I stick to what I say. Buguit's criticisms of Brey are legit. The rest of you are koolaid drinking yesmen cheerleaders.

Reactions: Buguit
In just about every aspect of life, People praise success and are critical of failure !
Some times, I watch a sports event with no ties to either team, and I enjoy watching great play,
am critical of poor play, and form my own opinions of the teams and players involved.
As a ND fan, I try to put my personal feelings aside, and watch each game with the same critical eye.
If coach Kelly and the team play well, I am extremely happy to praise them. If they do poorly, I will unhappily
pour on the criticiam.
Do I know as much about coaching as Kelly, certainly not ! But as a long time football fan, just as a movie fan, or reader of novels, I do know enought , as do all people, to evaluate the quality of the subject.
That is what Fan Boards are for, to give and exchange opinions and evaluations of the subject !

I stick to what I say. Buguit's criticisms of Brey are legit. The rest of you are koolaid drinking yesmen cheerleaders.
I'm just a guy who watches basketball then gets on with my life ... cmon dude relax we are fans and it's ok to disagree but at least enjoy three years in a row at or near the top of the best conference in CBB

Criticisms of a coach at a "football school" with MASSIVE recruiting restrictions (academics/morals) going to back-to-back Elite 8's, winning the best conference in CBB, and becoming a truly perennial tournament team?

Are Phil Jackson, Coach K, and John Wooden the only "good" basketball coaches in history?

As a alum, I can say unequivocally, Notre Dame is damn lucky to have coach Brey
Agree completely, he accomplishes what the University strives for within the enormous limitations that he faces. I was once a Brey doubter, but when considering all the enormous obstacles he confronts within the college basketball universe, he does remarkably well. That's a fact. Kelly, has far more flexibility, and an enormous amount of resources to grow his program and has failed. That falls on him, Swarbrick and now Jenkins. The alumni will judge and hopefully let the administration know.

Forgive me for my ignorance, your eminence !! I am not worthy !!
13856836_the-young-pope-recap-episode-5-im-sexy_5c628ac1_m.png

Reactions: Telx1
Florida...you got what you wanted with the OP. Buguit and Card... declaring the incompetence of Brey, and the rest of the posters objectively recognizing Brey's success, and the back and forth insults on the way.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Florida...you got what you wanted with the OP. Buguit and Card... declaring the incompetence of Brey, and the rest of the posters objectively recognizing Brey's success, and the back and forth insults on the way.

I remember your comment to me a few weeks ago...you are correct.

What are you talking about? Where have I said anything negative about Brey.

Brey does more with less than any coach on campus.

4 gds and a small forward....more than likely 23 wins...more than likely a double-bye in the conf tourn., this may be a better coaching job than the past 2 yrs...especially considering the conference they play in...

Reactions: Bodizephax

The clown show only recognizes the last 2 years and not the previous 15 ... even though the last 2 years the team was carried by NBA talent and last year's easy draw ..... the rest of the posters objective? .... the clown show is adding members ... :eek:

Brey has grown into a really good coach and he does does do a lot more with less. I do wish he was a better recruiter, but I also realize how broken college basketball recruiting is and how little emphasis almost every single top player places on education, which hurts ND's likelihood of landing them... He is also handcuffed by facilities compared to the basketball powers.

That said, he keeps developing as a coach, has a formula that has been working and despite rarely ever having a quality center, his teams seem to hold their own on the glass against all but the elite teams.

The Elite 8 is probably going to be where he hits his wall, because I can't ever see him putting a better 5 on the floor than Grant, Connaughton, Jackson, Vasturia and Auguste, and that group came up just short of the Final 4.

The clown show only recognizes the last 2 years and not the previous 15 ... even though the last 2 years the team was carried by NBA talent and last year's easy draw ..... the rest of the posters objective? .... the clown show is adding members ... :eek:

You mean a time when a coach built a football school into a perenial tournament team, and then eventually built it into an ACC Champion and NCAA Contender?

Anyone who's disappointed with the job Brey has done is either mentally damaged or a transplant fan from Kentucky...believing ND plays by the same rules in a very, very dirty game

Brey has grown into a really good coach and he does does do a lot more with less. I do wish he was a better recruiter, but I also realize how broken college basketball recruiting is and how little emphasis almost every single top player places on education, which hurts ND's likelihood of landing them... He is also handcuffed by facilities compared to the basketball powers.

That said, he keeps developing as a coach, has a formula that has been working and despite rarely ever having a quality center, his teams seem to hold their own on the glass against all but the elite teams.

The Elite 8 is probably going to be where he hits his wall, because I can't ever see him putting a better 5 on the floor than Grant, Connaughton, Jackson, Vasturia and Auguste, and that group came up just short of the Final 4.

Part of it depends on the draw.

That ND team damn near beat one of the more talented Kentucky teams in Coach Cal's tenture to get to the Final 4.

A team even close to that good with a different draw could find their way to the Final 4

You mean a time when a coach built a football school into a perenial tournament team, and then eventually built it into an ACC Champion and NCAA Contender?

Anyone who's disappointed with the job Brey has done is either mentally damaged or a transplant fan from Kentucky...believing ND plays by the same rules in a very, very dirty game

So you are ok with the previous 15 years and maybe waiting for another 15 years for an NBA squad to carry us as far as anyone believes will ever happen .... that is what is known as champions of mediocrity

Brey recruits just fine .... minus getting more bigs .... no bigs would want to come to ND becuase for 17 years Brey has shown no desire to feed the paint .... we had a High School All-American classic post player in Torin Francis and he was an after thought here .... look at Colsen .... He is allowed to live on the 3 pt line .... Jordan Cornette anyone? ..... without bigs .... pure shooters are the equalizer .... the lack of leadership and discipline fails to get those shooters consistent open looks and high % shots

We get that people are "OK" with the program ..... what the discussion keeps coming back to is the fact that we have a coach who does no more than cheerlead ... and when you're in a tight game .... the guys are on their own

You guys should listen to yourselves .... we made a little noise in 17 years on the backs of NBA talent .... and that is your definition of great ..... pathetic ..... just as much as a coach who doesn't coach and is a cheerleader

Last edited:
So you are ok with the previous 15 years and maybe waiting for another 15 years for an NBA squad to carry us as far as anyone believes will ever happen .... that is what is known as champions of mediocrity

Brey recruits just fine .... minus getting more bigs .... no bigs would want to come to ND becuase for 17 years Brey has shown no desire to feed the paint .... we had a High School All-American classic post player in Torin Francis and he was an after thought here .... look at Colsen .... He is allowed to live on the 3 pt line .... Jordan Cornette anyone? ..... without bigs .... pure shooters are the equalizer .... the lack of leadership and discipline fails to get those shooters consistent open looks and high % shots

We get that people are "OK" with the program ..... what the discussion keeps coming back to is the fact that we have a coach who does no more than cheerlead ... and when you're in a tight game .... the guys are on their own

You guys should listen to yourselves .... we made a little noise in 17 years on the backs of NBA talent .... and that is your definition of great ..... pathetic ..... just as much as a coach who doesn't coach and is a cheerleader

It's awesome watching you argue both sides of the coin:
"Brey can't recruit"
"Brey was only good because he had NBA talent"

Are you really so stupid that you can't realize you're contradicting yourself in every sentence?

Not to mention, "building a program" takes time. Brey has consistently improved the program over time, building it a weak group, to a perennial NCAA Tourney team, to an ACC Champion and Elite-8 contender.

There is literally no way to debate that Brey has done a great job here and is a great coach

"Brey can't recruit"

Are you really so stupid that you can't realize you're contradicting yourself in every sentence?

Not to mention, "building a program" takes time. Brey has consistently improved the program over time, building it a weak group, to a perennial NCAA Tourney team, to an ACC Champion and Elite-8 contender.

There is literally no way to debate that Brey has done a great job here and is a great coach

Deck....stop wasting your time.....he's an asshole! You asked about being stupid....he's got it cornered.....Take it from someone who coaches for a living, not sit at a barstool and tell everyone he knows more than Brey and Kelly, Brey is an excellent coach. His teams are well prepared because they get things done in the gym, which is why they are rarely rattled. This may be his best coaching job ever...because this team really is limited and plays to its strengths and avoids its weaknesses as good as anyone I have seen this year...They are averaging about 75 pts a game without a post player. How much more f...ing efficient are they supposed to be!. Don't listen to this asswipe...dude has had a hard-on for Brey for 17 yrs....he belongs on a couch...

Reactions: Telx1 and echowaker
Deck....stop wasting your time.....he's an asshole! You asked about being stupid....he's got it cornered.....Take it from someone who coaches for a living, not sit at a barstool and tell everyone he knows more than Brey and Kelly, Brey is an excellent coach. His teams are well prepared because they get things done in the gym, which is why they are rarely rattled. This may be his best coaching job ever...because this team really is limited and plays to its strengths and avoids its weaknesses as good as anyone I have seen this year...They are averaging about 75 pts a game without a post player. How much more f...ing efficient are they supposed to be!. Don't listen to this asswipe...dude has had a hard-on for Brey for 17 yrs....he belongs on a couch...

Agree.

The only thing Brey could really "do more" is somehow convince ND admissions and AD to lift all the restrictions that stop ND from going after top prospects (which is where most "quality bigs" are)
- No more academic requirements
- No more "playing school" once they get here
- Institutional and financial "support" for players...that's not reported to the NCAA
- Kickbacks to "middle-men" and AAU "coaches" for "getting in touch" with recruits
- Obviously, all new facilities
- etc.

Does that really sound like the kind of thing Brey could possibly convince ND to do?
Would you even want that stuff if Brey could voodoo-magic ND into doing it??

Reactions: cavanaugh208
And since when is Colsen considered a "big"? He's 6-5....barely....and asked to play in the post at times against guys much bigger than him. Playing him away from the rim at the high-post/3 pt line is EXACTLY where he should be playing. Step him away from the rim where he can slide past bigger players 5-7 times a game. No way he is gonna beat opponents by just running to the block every possession....

only thing I would agree with bug is we need a big. maybe head over to europe

"Brey can't recruit"

Never said Brey can't recruit ... in fact I've always said the opposite ... does good job finding under the radar talent .... not to mention players who can do his job for him .... next :)

Whining about me again ...LOL! ..... what a baby .... and all that swearing .... tsk tsk .... so classy ... and angry! ... sheesh .... :D

And Colsen plays like a big ... he is their best rebounder ..... having him around the 3 pt line really emphasizes Brey's disinterest in crashing the boards .... fortunately for ND they take so many poor shots that a lot them bounce hard off the iron back to the 3 pt line ... is that the plan ..... stupid ... low post to high post for your best rebounder .... 3 point line ... stupid .... 6-5 has nothing to do with it for Brey ... Jordan Cornette was 6-10 and did the same thing .... once again proving you have no clue what you're talking about .... talking Calculus to 1st graders :confused:

Last edited:
Never said Brey can't recruit ... in fact I've always said the opposite ... does good job finding under the radar talent .... not to mention players who can do his job for him .... next :)

Re-read your 2nd paragraph (b*tching about Brey's inability to recruit "Bigs") and then try again little buddy.

Don't worry, I'll keep waiting for you to get a clue.....

Re-read your 2nd paragraph (b*tching about Brey's inability to recruit "Bigs") and then try again little buddy.

Don't worry, I'll keep waiting for you to get a clue.....

Re read my posts of the last 17 years .... Brey doesn't get bigs but brings in plenty of talent .... one quip is lack of Big men .... that doesn't mean he can't recruit ... you made that leap of faith to ... "can't recruit" .... he has had some in past .... but few .... the ones he has had went to waste .... and if that is B'ing .... you better get with you own clown show because they all say the same thing .... of course .... b'ing is what they do best .... you're in good company :)

Re read my posts of the last 17 years .... Brey doesn't get bigs but brings in plenty of talent .... one quip is lack of Big men .... that doesn't mean he can't recruit ... you made that leap of faith to ... "can't recruit" .... he has had some in past .... but few .... the ones he has had went to waste .... and if that is B'ing .... you better get with you own clown show because they all say the same thing .... of course .... b'ing is what they do best .... you're in good company :)

Your post is unintelligible. Try it again without 1,000 improperly constructed ellipses and terrible abbreviations, and perhaps I'll choose to condescend and continue the beating I've been handing you. It's been pretty brutal for you thus far.

But yes, you did claim he doesn't recruit well. So you're choices are as follows:
  1. Brey is a recruiting God, who brings in so much talent that his teams can be ACC Champions and Elite-8 contenders, despite receiving no coaching
    1. The "Coach Cal" model
  2. Brey is a developmental God, who develops under-the-radar talent into ACC Champions and Elite-8 Contenders
    1. The "Bo Ryan" model
  3. Brey is a very good coach in both of these capacities, but not necessarily elite in either one individually

Really no matter what option you choose, you out yourself as a total moron

Reactions: cavanaugh208
Whining about me again ...LOL! ..... what a baby .... and all that swearing .... tsk tsk .... so classy ... and angry! ... sheesh .... :D

And Colsen plays like a big ... he is their best rebounder ..... having him around the 3 pt line really emphasizes Brey's disinterest in crashing the boards .... fortunately for ND they take so many poor shots that a lot them bounce hard off the iron back to the 3 pt line ... is that the plan ..... stupid ... low post to high post for your best rebounder .... 3 point line ... stupid .... 6-5 has nothing to do with it for Brey ... Jordan Cornette was 6-10 and did the same thing .... once again proving you have no clue what you're talking about .... talking Calculus to 1st graders :confused:

That's why they are averaging about 80 pts a game....that's why they have the fewest turnovers in the nation.....that's why they have the best team in the country turnover to assist ratio....best team in the country free throw percentage...we get it....there is one way to coach the game...your way...everyone else is wrong. You're such a handjob....

Reactions: Irishjohn68
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT