ADVERTISEMENT

---BASED ON THE LSU GAME-----

NDsince35

I've posted how many times?
Jul 25, 2010
A week or so ago a poster asked what can be expected from the Spring and the B/G game.

Probably nothing---A0 the game is played with a skeleton crew---the seniors who are moving

on can not play and the 21 of the freshmen who will replace them will not arrive until summer.

The game (or skrimmage) will be played with about 60 lads on scholarship. Every year a walk-on

has a good game and then disappears when the chips are down.

B) A whole bunch of new coaches, and probably schemes, will eventually make their appearance

but not in a meaningless game as the B/G is.

What could happen is players you don't expect much from suddenly are gettin meaningful snaps.

2014 was a so-so season until the Music Bowl where we beat up on LSU-----and I for one am

basing my hopes for 2016 on what we saw. Assuming Coach KELLY saw the same things we did

and hired new Coaches who saw our O-Line control the line and open joles for a new running game that

made the passing game work after weeks of problems with it. Just a few weeks before GOLSON had

been destroyed by Arizona ST.---7 sacks--was that the same O-Line?

Maybe the spring practice will decide the QB position--but there are some other spots where a few

"young and reckless" lads could beat out an encumbant. Coach KELLY talked glowingly about

O-Tackle BARS ----will he back up STANLEY or fight McCLINCHEY for RT ?

NELSON appears to be pencilled in at LG with MARTIN back at center and ELMER at RG

will one of the other Lads ---MUSTIPHER. McGOVERN, MONTRLUS, BIVIN or BYRNE

sneak into the line-up ? Will EE HOGE looktoo good to red-shirt?

And will TE be a big part of the offense? If so we sure have a lot of question marks--

we have one player with any experience--SCMYTHE with one catch for 7 yards.

Yeah, I kmpw LUATUA playecd, but only as a blocker----HEUERMANN didn't play

after a hernia operation --WEISHAR red shirted and JONES is on his way from Las Vegas.

Ilooks like SMYTHE starts -- LUATUA, who is an excellent receiver, is used by SANFORD

as an H-Back and the other 3 as big, strong wide-recweivers -a la EIFERT.

And that is only two positions that are up in the air.

-

Reactions: Bodizephax
Given the invite-only status it might end up more as a scrimmage than a game.....though NBC might change that if on TV.

GET BETTER!!!

Nice analysis NDsince35; thank you.

We do need to be better for sure; we have the potential to be a good team, but based on what I've seen in recent years, I now take an "I'm from Missouri" attitude. That is, "Show me what you've got." I no longer buy into the pre-season hype.

After a few games in the fall, we'll know whether we have a good team or not.

35, totally appreciate your comments about the OL and our TE. Thought the OL contributed a lot to Golson's problems, as they exposed his

weaknesses. I like Nelson being in the starting lineup, and wish there was a spot for bars given Kelly's assessment, but can't see him displacing either

starter this year. Hope he sees meaningful playing time as a back up.

Hard to believe ND has literally no experienced TE this year. Tons of potential among the group, but someone has to emerge who can block and catch.

Hope we see some major physical development in guys like Williams and Hill with hopes of having a decent sized quick rush DE emerge with a special motor.

Would love to read that our two starting safeties have finally mastered The mental part of the game and our schemes; and the same for Morgan and Martini.

Don't really care about the scrimmage as much as reports coming out of practice, and looking forward to your reporting on these!

Ara

on the mention of the OL: I am expecting the most physical OL we have seen in 10 years at ND.

and btw: yep, see you on the scout site.

BOSTON----Your gonna like how they look, I guarantee it !!! It's put up or shut up time in South Bend

and this new coaching staff is bringing in new energy and ideas -----

stay loose Brother the Cavalry is on it's way.

BOD---talent coming back plus a few new lads , but the Staff is bright abd shiny--this will be a different team.

Mr C---we all know the injuries killed us, but we are starting anew --onward and UPWARD !!!

TEL X---WILLIAMS, HILL, BONNER etc will all be zspending time in the BAD GUY's backfield because

GILMORE ia a D-Line coach who will work with BVG and is an expert at the 4-3 defense. MARTINI is

ready and MORGAN is getting there---both working hard over the cold winter. Safeties are a big ??? but

BVG has taken over that problem so look for a lot of improvement and new guy SEBASTIAN is a ver

smart and experienced leader back there.

ARA---you have some very interesting facts there and facts don't lie. The ASU game was a disaster. When

MARTIN got hurt and ELMER didn't work out at RT the O-Line was a mess--but they czame together vs LSU

and HARRY has the talent---so this will be a different attacking O-Line.

PERSE----See above---all will be well. Bet the mortgage.

I am hoping we see no major injuries this year. Last year we had our fill and then some. Happy to have hit the max on scholarships. That situation will work itself out. We need to develop some depth on the defensive side of the ball and maintain a solid rotation throughout the year so we can keep our guys fresh. We have two triple option teams we are facing this year. We know what can happen in those games.

TE crew is inexperienced but there isn't any lack of skill. Luata, Heurrman both had offers from nearly every big time program. We've all see the video on Alize. It could turn out to be one of the stronger positions on the team.

Originally posted by Ara64:
So 35, do you see ND moving to a more read option and power running game?
You guys should seriously partake in the So lets talk football thread. Some really good x's and o's on the running game as well as defense.

A week or so ago a poster asked what can be expected from the Spring and the B/G game.

Probably nothing---A0 the game is played with a skeleton crew---the seniors who are moving

on can not play and the 21 of the freshmen who will replace them will not arrive until summer.

The game (or skrimmage) will be played with about 60 lads on scholarship. Every year a walk-on

has a good game and then disappears when the chips are down.

B) A whole bunch of new coaches, and probably schemes, will eventually make their appearance

but not in a meaningless game as the B/G is.

What could happen is players you don't expect much from suddenly are gettin meaningful snaps.

I think Alex Bars should replace Steve Elmer this week. What say you, 35?

2014 was a so-so season until the Music Bowl where we beat up on LSU-----and I for one am

I think Alex Bars should replace Steve Elmer this week against USC. What say you 35?

basing my hopes for 2016 on what we saw. Assuming Coach KELLY saw the same things we did

and hired new Coaches who saw our O-Line control the line and open joles for a new running game that

made the passing game work after weeks of problems with it. Just a few weeks before GOLSON had

been destroyed by Arizona ST.---7 sacks--was that the same O-Line?

Maybe the spring practice will decide the QB position--but there are some other spots where a few

"young and reckless" lads could beat out an encumbant. Coach KELLY talked glowingly about

O-Tackle BARS ----will he back up STANLEY or fight McCLINCHEY for RT ?

NELSON appears to be pencilled in at LG with MARTIN back at center and ELMER at RG

will one of the other Lads ---MUSTIPHER. McGOVERN, MONTRLUS, BIVIN or BYRNE

sneak into the line-up ? Will EE HOGE looktoo good to red-shirt?

And will TE be a big part of the offense? If so we sure have a lot of question marks--

we have one player with any experience--SCMYTHE with one catch for 7 yards.

Yeah, I kmpw LUATUA playecd, but only as a blocker----HEUERMANN didn't play

after a hernia operation --WEISHAR red shirted and JONES is on his way from Las Vegas.

Ilooks like SMYTHE starts -- LUATUA, who is an excellent receiver, is used by SANFORD

as an H-Back and the other 3 as big, strong wide-recweivers -a la EIFERT.

And that is only two positions that are up in the air.

-

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT