ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Schedule, and Opposition

I always thought ND had the easiest schedule year in and year out.
OSU is 11th in SOS through 11/13/23 and ND is ranked 55th SOS through 11/13/23
And next year they replace ND with Oregon, which always has a better record.
Good Lord, the bucknuts have played ND and an overrated PSU team whos QB absolutely blows. Other than that NOBODY other than Michigan in two weeks and who the hell have they played?

It's not a debate on who is stronger top to bottom. Chase says the only thing that matters is winning NCs and playoff games.

The ACC has won more NCs and Playoff games in this century than the Big.
Clemson beat anOSU several times although the Buckeyes got the most recent one in COVID year.

The ACC's problem is they have no clear #3 to match PSU. And until this year FSU wasn't really number two.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
schedules.

So, I went to Future Football Schedules, a great resource to look at every teams future opponents. https://fbschedules.com/future-college-football-schedules/

A few things were glaring to me as I looked at the schedules of the top 15 or so teams.

1. ND plays a very soft schedule, probably only more difficult than Louisville, and FSU. OSU somehow draws a fairly easy slate out of the B1G compared to PSU/UM/UW/OU/USC, etc.

2. USC/UM/LSU/UGA/Bama/Texas all play brutal schedules with what I project to be 6-7 top 25 opponents.

3. With the addition of OU & UT to the SEC and OU, UW, USC, & UCLA to the B1G those two conferences slates go much more difficult to navigate.

4. I can see several teams being quite good and still having 3 losses, possibly 4.

5. Lastly, I think the days of several very good out of conference games each year in CFB will soon be gone. With the tremendous depth of talent in each conference, ADs and Coaches aren’t going to want add a potential loss to their already difficult schedules.

My concern is if ND even at say 10-2 can make the top 12? As of now their toughest opponents are @ A&M, UL, FSU, and @ USC. Will some of these team be rewarded for playing what appears to be much more difficult schedules? I think the same of the entire B12, that conference is going to be diminished without OU/UT, how will the committee perceive them (B12)?

I’m curious as to the thoughts of everyone here.

My locks for the 2024 playoffs -OSU, yeah, that’s it..
We need 11-1 next year to guarantee playoff

10-2 we will need some luck

I always thought ND had the easiest schedule year in and year out.
OSU is 11th in SOS through 11/13/23 and ND is ranked 55th SOS through 11/13/23
And next year they replace ND with Oregon, which always has a better record.
ND’s schedule year in and year out is strong. The past 10 years is was High of top 5 to low of top 35. Compare that to teams like PSU and UGA etc

If next year's schedule ends up being rather weak, then 10-2 might be borderline for the Playoff. We may need to go 11-1 to guarantee a spot.

But 10-2 would've definitely been good enough this year.

So it appears ND will play Army MD on November 23rd next season.

ND will keep their by’s before both Stanford and FSU. It would’ve been nice to have a by before USC but that would be too late in the season to have their first by.

I think the late season by (week 8) for them this year had a negative impact. The four straight weeks of OSU-Duke-UL-USC was tough.

Alabama routinely played 8 home games. As did most SEC teams. Up until 2021. Tenn has 8 this year. 8 next year.
Mathematically isn’t it impossible for all of the teams in the SEC to play 8 home games ?

Looks like the ACC # 1 and #2 teams from 2023 will be on the schedule plus at Texas AM and I believe SC and GaTech will be top 25 teams next year. So plenty of schedule to make the playoff.But 10-2 could be tough. Probably need 11-1. 3 of 5 on the road

Mathematically isn’t it impossible for all of the teams in the SEC to play 8 home games ?
Up until this year, no. SEC only played 8 game conference schedule, so 4 nonconference games, and in theory every SEC team could have had all of them at home.

That goes away next year as the SEC is moving to a 9 game conference schedule, so half the teams are guaranteed to have at least 5 road games.

Reactions: NDSMC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT