ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Schedule, and Opposition

Dec 29, 2005
schedules.

So, I went to Future Football Schedules, a great resource to look at every teams future opponents. https://fbschedules.com/future-college-football-schedules/

A few things were glaring to me as I looked at the schedules of the top 15 or so teams.

1. ND plays a very soft schedule, probably only more difficult than Louisville, and FSU. OSU somehow draws a fairly easy slate out of the B1G compared to PSU/UM/UW/OU/USC, etc.

2. USC/UM/LSU/UGA/Bama/Texas all play brutal schedules with what I project to be 6-7 top 25 opponents.

3. With the addition of OU & UT to the SEC and OU, UW, USC, & UCLA to the B1G those two conferences slates go much more difficult to navigate.

4. I can see several teams being quite good and still having 3 losses, possibly 4.

5. Lastly, I think the days of several very good out of conference games each year in CFB will soon be gone. With the tremendous depth of talent in each conference, ADs and Coaches aren’t going to want add a potential loss to their already difficult schedules.

My concern is if ND even at say 10-2 can make the top 12? As of now their toughest opponents are @ A&M, UL, FSU, and @ USC. Will some of these team be rewarded for playing what appears to be much more difficult schedules? I think the same of the entire B12, that conference is going to be diminished without OU/UT, how will the committee perceive them (B12)?

I’m curious as to the thoughts of everyone here.

My locks for the 2024 playoffs -OSU, yeah, that’s it..

schedules.

So, I went to Future Football Schedules, a great resource to look at every teams future opponents. https://fbschedules.com/future-college-football-schedules/

A few things were glaring to me as I looked at the schedules of the top 15 or so teams.

1. ND plays a very soft schedule, probably only more difficult than Louisville, and FSU. OSU somehow draws a fairly easy slate out of the B1G compared to PSU/UM/UW/OU/USC, etc.

2. USC/UM/LSU/UGA/Bama/Texas all play brutal schedules with what I project to be 6-7 top 25 opponents.

3. With the addition of OU & UT to the SEC and OU, UW, USC, & UCLA to the B1G those two conferences slates go much more difficult to navigate.

4. I can see several teams being quite good and still having 3 losses, possibly 4.

5. Lastly, I think the days of several very good out of conference games each year in CFB will soon be gone. With the tremendous depth of talent in each conference, ADs and Coaches aren’t going to want add a potential loss to their already difficult schedules.

My concern is if ND even at say 10-2 can make the top 12? As of now their toughest opponents are @ A&M, UL, FSU, and @ USC. Will some of these team be rewarded for playing what appears to be much more difficult schedules? I think the same of the entire B12, that conference is going to be diminished without OU/UT, how will the committee perceive them (B12)?

I’m curious as to the thoughts of everyone here.

My locks for the 2024 playoffs -OSU, yeah, that’s it..
Michigan no doubt has a tough schedule lined up - even playing a tough OOC team in Texas. What I don't understand is, how on Earth are they able to play 8 home games?

Can't tell from one year to the next on paper who will look good and who will not.

Reactions: NDblitz
Can't tell from one year to the next on paper who will look good and who will not.
You cant tell with certainty but you can get a good idea
NDs schedule is really soft the ACC is really bad in football especially compared to sec and b10

Michigan no doubt has a tough schedule lined up - even playing a tough OOC team in Texas. What I don't understand is, how on Earth are they able to play 8 home games?
I asked the same question about the 8 home games. I was told they needed to average 7 home 5 away, and the decision to have 8 in 2024 leads them to have 6 home and 6 away in 2025.

NDs schedule is really soft the ACC is really bad in football especially compared to sec and b10
You're full of shit. As usual.

The Big Ten sucks------3 team league with PSU a very distant 3rd.

Look at Michigan's schedule prior to Saturday----8 pillow fights.

Reactions: Pennick4
I asked the same question about the 8 home games. I was told they needed to average 7 home 5 away, and the decision to have 8 in 2024 leads them to have 6 home and 6 away in 2025.
Pretty sure you can have 8 home games every year if you can schedule it that way. 25 schedule shows 6 home and 4 away. ND probably schedules a MAC team, etc and has 8 again.

Alabama routinely played 8 home games. As did most SEC teams. Up until 2021. Tenn has 8 this year. 8 next year.

Alabama routinely played 8 home games. As did most SEC teams. Up until 2021. Tenn has 8 this year. 8 next year.
Alabama had 7 home games in 2015, 7 in 2016, 7 in 2017, 7 in 2018, 7 in 2019, 5(out of 10 games) in 2020, 7 in 2021, 7 in 2022, 7 in 2023, 7 in 2024..

Last edited:
With the transfer portal strength of schedules can change significantly in the off season.

This years schedule looked much tougher last year. The feature matchups were the most beatable Ohio State team in years. To their credit no one has beat them.

However the other two “heavyweight’s” (USC & Clemson) have 4 losses a piece. Lots of people have beaten them.

Both the BIG and SEC are top heavy conferences, no different than the ACC. This year specifically, the BIG is shit.

Both the BIG and SEC are top heavy conferences, no different than the ACC. This year specifically, the BIG is shit.
The SEC has been dominating CFB for over a decade now at least. The B10 is the only conference that has closed the gap a little bit over the last several years.

The other conferences have been a mile behind. And now the PAC is defunct, and the SEC and B10 have added major bluebloods and other modern power programs while the ACC has countered with Stanford, Cal, and MSU lol

The SEC has been dominating CFB for over a decade now at least. The B10 is the only conference that has closed the gap a little bit over the last several years.

The other conferences have been a mile behind. And now the PAC is defunct, and the SEC and B10 have added major bluebloods and other modern power programs while the ACC has countered with Stanford, Cal, and MSU lol
The ACC has 3 teams who have won a NC this century.

The Big has 1

The ACC has won 2 NCs since the Big won their last

Lol

There are 2 to 3 really good teams each year in the SEC (AL, GA, LSU, AB .. pick 3), the rest are average to shitty, and there are 2 sometimes 3 good teams in the BIG each year (MI, OSU, PSU sometimes) the remaining teams don't ever contend. Hell, in the BIG, OSU is really the only team that really contends. The entire BIG west is shit. So, as I said, like all CFB conferences, top heavy. As is the ACC, as was the PAC-12.

The ACC has 3 teams who have won a NC this century.

The Big has 1

The ACC has won 2 NCs since the Big won their last

Lol
Well, Clemson has won two. I wouldn’t make the ACC out to be a stronger conference than the B1G and I don’t like OSU, UM, PSU, etc at all but the ACC hasn’t had anyone close to the NC outside of Clemson since FSU a decade ago.

This year’s FSU team is the weakest undefeated team IMO. In fact id take every other top 10 team over them on a neutral field right now.

There are 2 to 3 really good teams each year in the SEC (AL, GA, LSU, AB .. pick 3), the rest are average to shitty, and there are 2 sometimes 3 good teams in the BIG each year (MI, OSU, PSU sometimes) the remaining teams don't ever contend. Hell, in the BIG, OSU is really the only team that really contends. The entire BIG west is shit. So, as I said, like all CFB conferences, top heavy. As is the ACC, as was the PAC-12.
You’d be wrong, Wisconsin has won a lot of football games too. MSU and a Iowa have had some very strong teams the past decade at times as well.

If you matched up the B1G vs the ACC by seed it might look like this.
OSU vs FSU
UM vs UL
PSU vs UNC
Iowa vs NCST

I’d take the B1G in all but the Iowa vs NCST game, that’d be a toss up.

You’d be wrong, Wisconsin has won a lot of football games too. MSU and a Iowa have had some very strong teams the past decade at times as well.

OSU vs FSU
UM vs UL
PSU vs UNC
Iowa vs NCST

Or you could just look at the F+ ratings of each team by conference. I know for a fact the top 15 are going to be dominated by BIG and SEC teams and that pattern would remain in the middle and low tiers as well. the SEC and BIG10 are loaded with the biggest TV contracts, best NFL prospects, best college prospects, etc. if you want to watch major college football in 2023 and beyond, it's likely happening in one of those two conferences.

That partial ACC deal is killing ND right now, as all but like 2 or 3 teams are mostly ranked in the 50-100s in F+ most years in that crap conference. ND went from having 2 cupcakes on the schedule to 7.

OSU vs FSU
UM vs UL
PSU vs UNC
Iowa vs NCST

So you just listed the same teams that I did at the top of the BIG. Thanks for proving my point. And oh yeah, WI, MSU, IOWA, yeah there contenders :) keep trying

The Big 10 has 8 of the 11 lowest scoring offenses in the entire nation. The Big 10 is top heavy and mostly garbage, like every year.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Well, Clemson has won two. I wouldn’t make the ACC out to be a stronger conference than the B1G and I don’t like OSU, UM, PSU, etc at all but the ACC hasn’t had anyone close to the NC outside of Clemson since FSU a decade ago.

This year’s FSU team is the weakest undefeated team IMO. In fact id take every other top 10 team over them on a neutral field right now.
The Big has had 1 team win the NC this century

The ACC has had 3 teams win this century

OSU won their NC 1 year before FSU so....they havent won shit in the past decade

The Big hasnt had anyone close to a NC other than OSU in the last decade either!

OSU vs FSU
UM vs UL
PSU vs UNC
Iowa vs NCST

Lol you're making me laugh. Iowa, MSU

Or you could just look at the F+ ratings of each team by conference. I know for a fact the top 15 are going to be dominated by BIG and SEC teams and that pattern would remain in the middle and low tiers as well. the SEC and BIG10 are loaded with the biggest TV contracts, best NFL prospects, best college prospects, etc. if you want to watch major college football in 2023 and beyond, it's likely happening in one of those two conferences.
No one cares about F-

Evidently, chase believes that either Michigan St. or Mississippi St. is joining the ACC. Nope.

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69

OSU vs FSU
UM vs UL
PSU vs UNC
Iowa vs NCST

That Iowa NCST game could be 10-7

Wrong Alabama had 8 home and 4 away. Yes some were neutral site openers but Alabama was the home team. Tenn in 2021 8 home games 8 again this year. I can go on. The point, Capt. Contrarian is that it is possible.

The Big has had 1 team win the NC this century

The ACC has had 3 teams win this century

OSU won their NC 1 year before FSU so....they havent won shit in the past decade

The Big hasnt had anyone close to a NC other than OSU in the last decade either!
I dislike OSU as much as anyone but to act like they aren’t one of the two most consistent programs for 25 years is absurd. No one has won more games since 2000.

OSU, Bama, and Clemson were the clear superpowers the past decade. Now replace Clemson with UGA.

I might dislike UM even more but I’d kill to have their current team, they are an excellent FB program at this moment.

Wrong Alabama had 8 home and 4 away. Yes some were neutral site openers but Alabama was the home team. Tenn in 2021 8 home games 8 again this year. I can go on. The point, Capt. Contrarian is that it is possible.
Home games are played on home fields. And Alabama has not played 8 games on their home field in Tuscaloosa in quite a long time..

I dislike OSU as much as anyone but to act like they aren’t one of the two most consistent programs for 25 years is absurd. No one has won more games since 2000.

OSU, Bama, and Clemson were the clear superpowers the past decade. Now replace Clemson with UGA.

I might dislike UM even more but I’d kill to have their current team, they are an excellent FB program at this moment.
I stand by what I said and I didn't say anything about their program

Everything I said was fact

Yeah and in terms of winning Championships this century

Acc > Big
Well, I haven’t found a single sports entity that’s ever ranked the ACC over the B1G in terms of depth and strength of conference in the past decade plus either.

There have been several years where the ACC was ranked last of the P5 conferences. I do t always agree with sports writers and pundits but it’s hard to believe it was some conspiracy against the ACC either.

I have no dog in this fight either, I really do t care.

Well, I haven’t found a single sports entity that’s ever ranked the ACC over the B1G in terms of depth and strength of conference in the past decade plus either.

There have been several years where the ACC was ranked last of the P5 conferences. I do t always agree with sports writers and pundits but it’s hard to believe it was some conspiracy against the ACC either.

I have no dog in this fight either, I really do t care.
It's not a debate on who is stronger top to bottom. Chase says the only thing that matters is winning NCs and playoff games.

The ACC has won more NCs and Playoff games in this century than the Big.

OSU always has an easy schedule for the most part. Funny with USC,UCLA,Oregon and Washington and they are the main team to avoid them. BT protection for real.

OSU always has an easy schedule for the most part. Funny with USC,UCLA,Oregon and Washington and they are the main team to avoid them. BT protection for real.
I always thought ND had the easiest schedule year in and year out.
OSU is 11th in SOS through 11/13/23 and ND is ranked 55th SOS through 11/13/23
And next year they replace ND with Oregon, which always has a better record.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT