ADVERTISEMENT

YOUR *favorite* RB's at ND ever

I used to be Eric Penick and run the cross-buck in my front yard when I was a toddler. I was really young but I’ll never forget the run in ‘73 against the Trojans. Tommy Clements, Eric penick & my favorite ND coach, Ara. Those were great days for the Irish.

Lol. That’s the one. Fans on the field. Ara giving him a hug. Awesome

I’m just throwing out 3 names for honorable mention and nostalgia, Randy Kinder, Ray Zellars, Asap Schwap (RIP).

Marc Edwards!!! Is my all time fave.
Oh my dear lord...

How the **** did I forget about
Asap Schwap

Good one!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely great reminder!!!

Reactions: rgc7
Ara and Dan Devine had so many great backs it caused me to have a brain freeze. Those 17 years had some of ND's greatest offensive lines that they allowed the running backs do great things. I would think George Gipp would be number one on every ND's fan list. When I think of greatest halfback at ND my mind always goes to that ND legend.

Ricky Watters
Autrey Denson
Jerome Bettis
Marc Edwards
Julius Jones

Can I count the Rocket? He did carry the ball...just sayin'

Absolutely Rocket. My favorite run. Look at that speed...

Art Best passed away a few years ago from cancer. He was in his early 60s. I didn’t realize this until I looked up his bio.

Ara and Dan Devine had so many great backs it caused me to have a brain freeze. Those 17 years had some of ND's greatest offensive lines that they allowed the running backs do great things. I would think George Gipp would be number one on every ND's fan list. When I think of greatest halfback at ND my mind always goes to that ND legend.

Ara, in particular, always seemed to have a dozen different guys carrying the ball any given year. I even have vague memories of Coley O'Brien playing halfback his senior year.

Some fun waiting on the 29th to get here...

List your Top 5 favorite RB's ever.

Note...favorite. Not the best pro or even career. On your #1 favorite, list why.

#1 Lee Becton ...
Incredible vision and sense of feel. Amazing the production with no speed.

#2 Reggie Brooks

#3 Bettis

#4 Cam McDaniel

#5 Rodney Culver

* Pinkett,
* Denson,
* Jones, (Julius)

Ricky Watters

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Some fun waiting on the 29th to get here...

List your Top 5 favorite RB's ever.

Note...favorite. Not the best pro or even career. On your #1 favorite, list why.

#1 Lee Becton ...
Incredible vision and sense of feel. Amazing the production with no speed.

#2 Reggie Brooks

#3 Bettis

#4 Cam McDaniel

#5 Rodney Culver

* Pinkett,
* Denson,
* Jones, (Julius)
Cam McDaniel at #4?

Great memories ! Thanks Guys ! I also remember Leon Hart being put in as fullback when a few critical yards
Were need. He just bulled his way over all defenders ! I think that Jim lynch played both ways way back when ? So many great ND players under Frank Leahy. Perhaps someone with a better memory than mine
Can recall those names !

Cam McDaniel at #4?
Comprehension....which obviously you've a difficult time with.

I clearly said its not about the best...just who you enjoyed watching the most.

Was Lee Becton the best? The stats say otherwise but I enjoyed him the most....doing the most with the least.

What about the threesome of Eddy, Wolski and Conjar? All were solid backs and defenses had to respect each on every play.
Most around here don't know anything before the Lou era but I remember Eddy/Conjar/Wolski like it was yesterday. All three, along with a host of others, signed my game program from October 2, 1965 vs Northwestern, which I now have proudly framed and displayed in my "Notre Dame" room. That program, along with all the signatures from that team, is in pristine condition, including a handful of the field grass that I grabbed after the game.

Mike McNair, he had all the " stars "....

And who was the kid who came in with Faust from Moeller? Mark Brooks? He was a fullback who was going to break every record in the book.

Phil carter put up some gaudy numbers too.

I remember Carter looked like he was going to smash the single-season rushing record, with a couple games over 200 yards, but he suffered a leg injury and missed about four games. A journeyman, Jim Stone, replaced him and reeled off a 200-yard-plus game. All I can say that offensive line must have been good.

And don't forget Anthony Johnson playing fullback.
I had the pleasure of watching Anthony play in HS a couple of times and he was far above anyone else on that field those two Friday nights that I was there. He literally took charge of those games.

Dexter Williams is my favorite Irish runningback of all time !! He propelled us to the playoffs this year ! And will lead us to the National Championship !! Juice !! Juice !! Juice !!

Julius Jones - I was young, but I remember him running wild @ Pitt in prime time (252 yards I believe).

Darius Walker - Loved his game his freshman year against Michigan (after I watched them lose to BYU in person - yuck). I also loved him in Charlie’s offense those first couple of years. He was so good in the screen game. L

Jonas Gray - Awesome senior year after a rough career up to that point. Too bad he couldn’t finish the year healthy cause he was rollin’.

Theo Riddick - He was awesome in ‘12. Reliable, ran hard, and could catch it out of the backfield. I thought he was one of the guys that represented the spirit of that team with the way he played.

Tauren Folston - Had a terrific sophomore season after coming on late in his freshman season. I remember thinking he had a special career ahead of him after that FSU game. Loved his vision. Was never the same after his injury against Texas his junior year.

Dexter Williams - What might have been... special talent that saved our ‘18 season (along with Ian Book) that just couldn’t find the field for one reason or another. Happy he finished strong.

Julius Jones - I was young, but I remember him running wild @ Pitt in prime time (252 yards I believe).

Darius Walker - Loved his game his freshman year against Michigan (after I watched them lose to BYU in person - yuck). I also loved him in Charlie’s offense those first couple of years. He was so good in the screen game. L

Jonas Gray - Awesome senior year after a rough career up to that point. Too bad he couldn’t finish the year healthy cause he was rollin’.

Theo Riddick - He was awesome in ‘12. Reliable, ran hard, and could catch it out of the backfield. I thought he was one of the guys that represented the spirit of that team with the way he played.

Tauren Folston - Had a terrific sophomore season after coming on late in his freshman season. I remember thinking he had a special career ahead of him after that FSU game. Loved his vision. Was never the same after his injury against Texas his junior year.

Dexter Williams - What might have been... special talent that saved our ‘18 season (along with Ian Book) that just couldn’t find the field for one reason or another. Happy he finished strong.

Great Post.

I came on-board in 88 at 10yrs old, so I'm going with 1) Raghib 2) Bettis 3) Watters 4) Zellars 5) Becton

I also want to mention Jeff Burris. I played safety and RB/FB, so absolutely loved when we used him on offense. One of my fav ND players ever.

Also need to mention James Aldridge, Cierre Wood, and Greg Bryant as the top 3 guys I was most excited about when signed.

It also appears I need to watch some video of Heavens and Vargas..

Reactions: UtahDomer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT