ADVERTISEMENT

YOUR *favorite* RB's at ND ever

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Some fun waiting on the 29th to get here...

List your Top 5 favorite RB's ever.

Note...favorite. Not the best pro or even career. On your #1 favorite, list why.

#1 Lee Becton ...
Incredible vision and sense of feel. Amazing the production with no speed.

#2 Reggie Brooks

#3 Bettis

#4 Cam McDaniel

#5 Rodney Culver

* Pinkett,
* Denson,
* Jones, (Julius)

Note...favorite. Not the best pro or even career. On your #1 favorite, list why.

#1 Lee Becton ...

#2 Reggie Brooks

#3 Bettis

#4 Cam McDaniel

#5 Rodney Culver

* Pinkett,
* Denson,
* Jones, (Julius)
I like your list. Of course there are those we have not seen except on film. Gipp. Horning. Those guys on horses. Sitko. Etc.

Reactions: 88ND
Robert Hughes

He became my favorite on one drive. Wood fumbles it out of bounds and they put in Hughes and just pounded the ball right at USC. Having lost 8 straight to them to be able to just push it down their throat in their house to win it was the best. I believe Hughes had a brother murdered earlier that year as well... so that made it even better yet.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Robert Hughes

He became my favorite on one drive. Wood fumbles it out of bounds and they put in Hughes and just pounded the ball right at USC. Having lost 8 straight to them to be able to just push it down their throat in their house to win it was the best. I believe Hughes had a brother murdered earlier that year as well... so that made it even better yet.

Good one. Hughes was clutch

Pinkett - He was already my favorite because he was the most electric and exciting RB I had ever seen at ND, but then he sealed the deal when he voluntarily chit-chatted with my high school buddies and I as we took in an open practice back in '84, and then did the same almost 20 years later right before the 2007 Sugar Bowl when he introduced himself and sat down with my wife and I as we were getting ready to eat at a Bourbon Street restaurant after hearing about an ND fan (me) who had mentioned he was his favorite ND player ever. (The backstory: my wife and I had just bumped into the editor of Blue and Gold Illustrated - I can't remember his name - and in the course of talking about the upcoming game and our history as ND fans I had mentioned Pinkett was my favorite player of all time. He said, "I know him," and approximately 15 minutes later there Pinkett was sitting at our table).

Pinkett was incredible on and off the field.

I remember the BK era RBs the best

Cierre Wood - loved his running style/swagger and there hasn't really been a personality like him at ND since. He ultimately underachieved but his 2011 season was fantastic.
Pre-injury Tarean Folston - i have him here mostly for what could have been. he was the complete package as a true frosh RB (run/catch/block at a high level) with a ceiling sky high and then blew out his knee and never really was the same again
Cj Prosise - he was the closest thing to NDs version of reggie bush .. just a flat out great athlete who made defenders look silly with his cutting/acceleration/top end speed

Last edited:
Reactions: rgc7 and sawfish1
Pinkett - He was already my favorite because he was the most electric and exciting RB I had ever seen at ND, but then he sealed the deal when he voluntarily chit-chatted with my high school buddies and I as we took in an open practice back in '84, and then did the same almost 20 years later right before the 2007 Sugar Bowl when he introduced himself and sat down with my wife and I as we were getting ready to eat at a Bourbon Street restaurant after hearing about an ND fan (me) who had mentioned he was his favorite ND player ever. (The backstory: my wife and I had just bumped into the editor of Blue and Gold Illustrated - I can't remember his name - and in the course of talking about the upcoming game and our history as ND fans I had mentioned Pinkett was my favorite player of all time. He said, "I know him," and approximately 15 minutes later there Pinkett was sitting at our table).

I really wanted to put him high on the list. He and Denson were so hellaciously reliable that it seemed routine more than spectacular. That shouldn't be the case. Perception is a funny thing.

Reactions: rgc7 and Bumpdaddy
Brooks, bus, denson, adams.

Adams was electric last year until he wore down

Reactions: rgc7
Nick Eddy. As a youngster, it was Nick Eddy. It still is. Watch some vids of RBs who came before the Lou Holtz era. We have All Americans and Heisman winners.

He and Rocky Bleier back deep.

Awesome video.

Check out the player on the ND front line just launch himself at one of the head hunters. You really pick up on it with the replay at the end.

Absolutely hilarious.

Reactions: IrishHerb

Cierre Wood - loved his running style/swagger and there hasn't really been a personality like him at ND since. He ultimately underachieved but his 2011 season was fantastic.
Pre-injury Tarean Folston - i have him here mostly for what could have been. he was the complete package as a true frosh RB (run/catch/block at a high level) with a ceiling sky high and then blew out his knee and never really was the same again
Cj Prosise - he was the closest thing to NDs version of reggie bush .. just a flat out great athlete who made defenders look silly with his acceleration/cutting/and top end speed.

Jonas Gray was a beast as well... I remember that long run against Pitt.... it seemed like they had an angle on him and he just outran everyone.... Someone that big shouldn't of had that speed. Was a bummer to see him get hurt.

Ricky Watters
Autrey Denson
Jerome Bettis
Marc Edwards
Julius Jones

Can I count the Rocket? He did carry the ball...just sayin'
Rocket had to step at tailback in one of the Orange Bowls against Colorado and went for over 100 yds.

Very cool Bumpdaddy. Now if you can get me to meet Godaddy Danica Zpatrick I will be most impressed

#1 Lee Becton ...

#2 Reggie Brooks

#3 Bettis

#4 Cam McDaniel

#5 Rodney Culver

* Pinkett,
* Denson,
* Jones, (Julius)
Oh n creighton Miller. I liked Theo out of the backfield on passes and same with Tim brown

Nobody mentioned one of the best runs of all time - ray zellers vs Purdue

Oh n creighton Miller. I liked Theo out of the backfield on passes and same with Tim brown

Nobody mentioned one of the best runs of all time - ray zellers vs Purdue
I did. In my brain. But I tried to stay disciplined on the five. lol

Ricky Watters
Autrey Denson
Jerome Bettis
Marc Edwards
Julius Jones

Nope.

If that were the case...
I would have included Tony Rice and the Rocket.

They were exciting coming out the backfield

Ricky Watters
Autrey Denson
Jerome Bettis
Marc Edwards
Julius Jones

I thought hard about Marc Edwards too. Nice list.

Cj Prosise - he was the closest thing to NDs version of reggie bush .. just a flat out great athlete who made defenders look silly with his cutting/acceleration/top end speed
If you liked swagger and personality you would have loved Ricky Watters then. Nobody ever pushed the "I'm better than you" envelope more than RW.

Agreed, in my lifetime it's Dex and not even close. He brings something that our other running backs haven't had recently. He can take it to the house at anytime.

Theo became a heck of a player as well, it might've been Folston had it not been for the knee injury.

Reactions: 88ND

He and Rocky Bleier back deep.

Awesome video.

Check out the player on the ND front line just launch himself at one of the head hunters. You really pick up on it with the replay at the end.

Absolutely hilarious.
I saw that cross body block and also Larry Conjar(32) also put the finishing touches on the TD with a cross body block towards the end. Another thing to take note by Nick Eddy. No wagging his finger and no finger to the lips hushing whoever. Certainly a different era.

Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND
I’m just throwing out 3 names for honorable mention and nostalgia, Randy Kinder, Ray Zellars, Asap Schwap (RIP).

Marc Edwards!!! Is my all time fave.

Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND
Are we listing the best Irish RBs of all time or just throwing out names? If we are just throwing out names then I nominate John Barrett.

Darius Walker.

Played better when the stage was bigger. Should’ve come back for his senior season. Could stop and start faster than anybody.

Reactions: rgc7 and irishalice
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT