ADVERTISEMENT

Wimbush to Transfer

Wishing BM nothing but good fortune at his next destination.

He handled the demotion about as well as you could have asked or expected.

The entire Wimbush family have shown themselves to be consummate class acts. And for that, I hope whatever the future has in store for Brandon brings him bliss and success.

Happy that he's playing out the season .. you just never know with how much ND relies on mobility of the QB if he's going to be needed in a high leverage/critical spot over the possible next two games. happy that he decided to give ND a ton of notice heading into the playoff/next season. Hoping for the best for Wimbush going forward.

Don’t know if this announcement came from Wimbush directly, and i expect him to transfer next year and play one more season of organized football and try to win a starting job somewhere BUT
I don’t like the timing - complete the mission first and then take the stage - this just creates a slightly awkward dynamic.
Now imagine a significant injury in the first series of the Cotton Bowl amd Wimbush comes in and leads the team to two victories and the NC and the previous starter is out for a year rehabbing ... now he has to put the toothpaste back in the tube?

Reactions: TOMMY_23
He's a pussy for not staying to compete with Ian - IrishFflorida

I wish Brandon nothing but the best. He's been an awesome team guy through all this. It's tough to lose your starting job. I've been there (albeit not at Notre Dame, where it would be even tougher). I'd love to see him play for a coach that uses his style of play really well. Somewhere like Florida, where Dan Mullen is a quality QB away from competing for the SEC East next year. I think Brandon Wimbush is somewhere between a Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald in terms of talent and skill set. Mullen can win with a guy like that and the defense he has returning.

Last edited:
Reactions: HillRock86
Kelly Bryant to Mizzou, Wimbush? Hurts? And Fields? Lots of movement at QB, has me thinking who was the best QB transfer from ND? Kent Graham?

was never a fan but he handled the whole qb situation with class. good luck to him.

Come on over to the Hawkeyes Brandon. If everyone returns the defense will be stacked. Hand the ball off, QB runs and some deep shots mixed in behind a perennial good offensive line.

Good for him. Leaving with a ND degree and will get a chance at getting a free graduate degree somewhere.

Opens up one scholarship. Anyone have the numbers on where we sit? Also, with possible signing of Turner and Foskey.

Kelly Bryant to Mizzou, Wimbush? Hurts? And Fields? Lots of movement at QB, has me thinking who was the best QB transfer from ND? Kent Graham?

Jake Kelchner has a good year at WVa. Olsen would have been the starter at ND if he stayed and would have been throwing passes to his AA brother

Was alway a big Wimbush fan and had to see him transfer, but wish him every success ! In the long run it may work out better for but Wimbush and ND ?

I wish him the best wherever he goes except any team on our schedule next year. ND has plenty of QB talent that'll take advantage of his leaving next year. Now it begins--who stays and who moves on?

If he wants to make the NFL, I think he’s making a mistake. He could switch to RB or WR next year, be a big contributor, and try for the NFL the next year. He has little or no chance of making the NFL as a QB IMO.

But good luck to him.

Don’t know if this announcement came from Wimbush directly, and i expect him to transfer next year and play one more season of organized football and try to win a starting job somewhere BUT
I don’t like the timing - complete the mission first and then take the stage - this just creates a slightly awkward dynamic.
Now imagine a significant injury in the first series of the Cotton Bowl amd Wimbush comes in and leads the team to two victories and the NC and the previous starter is out for a year rehabbing ... now he has to put the toothpaste back in the tube?

There was no problem with the timing.

The ND staff & his teammates were aware of this a LONG time ago.

He didn’t want it announced until after the season. But Brett McMurphy is an asshat & trying to “break news.” Other reporters also knew but were respecting Brandon’s wishes not to announce it until later. McMurphy purposely didn’t put “graduate transfer” or “after the season” because he was trying to act like it’s a big deal.

It’s not a distraction for ND because EVERYONE already knew & were celebrating with Brandon.

Reactions: McCallen ND NYC
Come on over to the Hawkeyes Brandon. If everyone returns the defense will be stacked. Hand the ball off, QB runs and some deep shots mixed in behind a perennial good offensive line.

Good for him. Leaving with a ND degree and will get a chance at getting a free graduate degree somewhere.

Opens up one scholarship. Anyone have the numbers on where we sit? Also, with possible signing of Turner and Foskey.
Iowa is way too vanilla for his skill set imo.

I wish him nothing but the best. Great kid, great teammate, good player that has trouble w/ accuracy at times. I think he’ll do a team well next year. Some here questioned his heart last year after the Stanford game. I don’t think any of his struggles were ‘heart’ related. Who really knows what’s in store for him these next two games (hopefully). Maybe he’s called upon. It’s nice to have an experienced backup and he has that box checked.

Reactions: PHJIndy

He didn’t want it announced until after the season. But Brett McMurphy is an asshat & trying to “break news.” Other reporters also knew but were respecting Brandon’s wishes not to announce it until later. McMurphy purposely didn’t put “graduate transfer” or “after the season” because he was trying to act like it’s a big deal.

It’s not a distraction for ND because EVERYONE already knew & were celebrating with Brandon.

Not so sure ... ND Hs been victim of bad timing before like when Gunner Kiel transferred two days before Golson was suspended for the season

Yup, typical garbage journalism - putting out a non-news story before a big game.

Not so sure ... ND Hs been victim of bad timing before like when Gunner Kiel transferred two days before Golson was suspended for the season

This is apples & oranges.

Brandon is not leaving. He is playing for ND the rest of the season.

He graduates this semester. After he graduates he is going elsewhere.

McMurphy is trying to make it sound like he is leaving before the season is over.

Gunner left before the season, Brandon is after. They aren’t even in the same universe of similarities.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
Wimbush was a QB that almost everyone rooted for, but his inadequacies as a passer limited his starting role, especially considering the level of competition that ND faces.

He might thrive at a lesser level.

You have to wish him well

Wimbush was a QB that almost everyone rooted for, but his inadequacies as a passer limited his starting role, especially considering the level of competition that ND faces.

I think he can thrive at the FBS level in a run first offense that doesn't demand him to read defenses extensively and can live with errant throws. A lot of SEC teams over the years have won a lot of games, with really average QB's. Look at Nick Fitzgerald and Mississippi State this year, or Kentucky and Terry Wilson, or Feleipe Franks at Florida... I'd start Wimbush over any of those guys and they all quarterbacked teams that finished in the top 25. 13-3 as a starter vs ND's schedule isn't bad at all.

I think he can thrive at the FBS level in a run first offense that doesn't demand him to read defenses extensively and can live with errant throws. A lot of SEC teams over the years have won a lot of games, with really average QB's. Look at Nick Fitzgerald and Mississippi State this year, or Kentucky and Terry Wilson, or Feleipe Franks at Florida... I'd start Wimbush over any of those guys and they all quarterbacked teams that finished in the top 25. 13-3 as a starter vs ND's schedule isn't bad at all.

The only systems I can see him thriving at are systems akin to Navy or Army

He’s less than a 50 % passer

Last year he had a very strong running game and yet his passing efficiency and accuracy were terribly lacking.

As Clint said, “A man has to know his limitations”

The only systems I can see him thriving at are systems akin to Navy or Army

He’s less than a 50 % passer

Last year he had a very strong running game and yet his passing efficiency and accuracy were terribly lacking.

As Clint said, “A man has to know his limitations”

Nick Fitzgerald quarterbacked Mississippi State to the #18 ranking nationally this year. He finished the season as a 52.6% passer, the exact same percentage Wimbush had this year when he was replaced by Book.

Are you going to win a national championship with Brandon Wimbush's passing. Most probably not. But if you're a team where 9-3 or 10-2 and a top 25 ranking is a great season for your team (that is the case for 90% of FBS schools), Brandon Wimbush in conjunction a really strong defense and some offensive weapons, could get you there.

While we all agree that ND is better off with Ian Book starting, consider this for a second. Which team on the schedule put up enough points this year on ND's defense, that Brandon Wimbush couldn't have beat them had he remained the starter? Not saying he would have went undefeated for sure, but he quarterbacked ND to 4 of their 12 wins, including their toughest win, Michigan... He's a good college starter despite his completion percentage.

Irish, You’re conveniently forgetting his propensity for turnovers and his TD to INT ratio that was 4 TD’s, 6 INT’s.

He barely got by the three teams he faced this year, and they weren’t exactly powerhouse opponents.

For whatever the reason, expectations always exceeded performance, yet everyone rooted for him to succeed.

A QB who lacks touch and accuracy can’t lead his team to success against strong defenses, especially in the playoffs.

Miami should have alerted everyone to that last year.

Irish, You’re conveniently forgetting his propensity for turnovers and his TD to INT ratio that was 4 TD’s, 6 INT’s.

He barely got by the three teams he faced this year, and they weren’t exactly powerhouse opponents.

For whatever the reason, expectations always exceeded performance, yet everyone rooted for him to succeed.

A QB who lacks touch and accuracy can’t lead his team to success against strong defenses, especially in the playoffs.

Miami should have alerted everyone to that last year.

While your numbers are factual and your point is well taken, the disconnect that we have, I believe, is multifaceted. There are two key points that I think are important.

1. My initial argument was that in a different offense, one that doesn't place the burden of operating professional minded passing schemes, such as the offense that Nick Fitzgerald ran at Mississippi State, I think Brandon probably has less turnovers, because there is less information to process on each play. That is to say that if you said "Brandon, here is your first read, if it's not there, tuck the ball and run" rather than "Brandon here is a play design with 3 reads, go through your progression and if none of the receivers are open, tuck the ball and run", you might have a really effective quarterback, less prone to turnovers. I'm I suggesting you're going to score like Oklahoma does as a result? No, definitely not. But if you have a good running game, a good defense, and you're looking for a capable quarterback to help you win a lot of games, in a simplified system, Brandon's athleticism, coupled with his ability to make big plays in the passing game (downfield throws have never been his problem, ironically enough) could very well get you there. In fact we've seen that to be the case, when he won 13 games for Notre Dame, as a starter. He also accounted for more than 30 touchdowns last year, so it's not like he didn't pull any of the weight.

2. You're thought is that he might "thrive at a lesser level". I disagree with you there from the standpoint that "thriving" is relative to the school. Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference, therefore Notre Dame's lone big picture team goal is to make it to the playoffs every year in an attempt to win a national championship. Brian Kelly states that regularly and the fanbase (for the most part) hold ND to that elite standard. That said, many programs around the country understand that a national championship isn't likely in their immediate future and therefore, other teams often set less lofty big picture goals. For example, at a school like Mississippi State, competing for the SEC West Title is an annual goal. Finishing the season ranked is a goal. Winning the SEC might be a goal in a year where they expect themselves to be really good. Beating in state Ole Miss is a goal. I don't think anyone down there is realistically talking about national championships. Therefore, if a guy like Brandon Wimbush went there and acted as a more explosive Nick Fitzgerald (as an example) and Miss State went 9-3, or 8-4, beat Ole Miss and finished the season ranked in the top 25, he would be helping them meet several of their realistic goals... On a personal level is that more likely to get Brandon to the NFL? No. Is he more likely to get Miss State to the playoffs? Also probably no. But if we throw out those unrealistic options because Miss State is not Notre Dame, and doesn't expect to send all of its quarterbacks to the NFL, while competing for national titles each year, Brandon Wimbush could absolutely thrive and exceed as member of their program, relative to their expectations.

I think it's importance not lose sight of the fact that everyone's picture is different and that just because Brandon isn't giving Notre Dame what it needs to reach their goal, it doesn't mean Brandon can't stay at this level of football and lead a program with lesser short term goals to a lot of success, according to their definition.

He’d be wise to go down to Oxford in

Miami (OH)

He's a pussy for not staying to compete with Ian - IrishFflorida

I wish Brandon nothing but the best. He's been an awesome team guy through all this. It's tough to lose your starting job. I've been there (albeit not at Notre Dame, where it would be even tougher). I'd love to see him play for a coach that uses his style of play really well. Somewhere like Florida, where Dan Mullen is a quality QB away from competing for the SEC East next year. I think Brandon Wimbush is somewhere between a Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald in terms of talent and skill set. Mullen can win with a guy like that and the defense he has returning.

Show me where i said Brandon Winbush is a pussy for not competing Mr.Guy LaFleur? I can however point you to multiple posts where i said Book was clearly the better and more efficient QB. I mean Stevie Wonder could have seen that after the Citrus Bowl.

Surprised Mr. "Here is My 20_ _Breakdown" coudnt figure that out?

We know If you had your way BW would still the starter, ND would be 9-3 and getting ready to play in the Camping World Bowl and you would be going on and on and on, and on with your Lorazepam posts, about how ND cannot compete at the highest level of college football.

I thought you Canadians famous for being bad tippers and polite? I guess you are just a bad tipper?

Show me where i said Brandon Winbush is a pussy for not competing Mr.Guy LaFleur? I can however point you to multiple posts where i said Book was clearly the better and more efficient QB. I mean Stevie Wonder could have seen that after the Citrus Bowl.

Surprised Mr. "Here is My 20_ _Breakdown" coudnt figure that out?

We know If you had your way BW would still the starter, ND would be 9-3 and getting ready to play in the Camping World Bowl and you would be going on and on and on, and on with your Lorazepam posts, about how ND cannot compete at the highest level of college football.

I thought you Canadians famous for being bad tippers and polite? I guess you are just a bad tipper?

I was referencing your shit talking of Kelly Bryant for transferring instead of competing, despite having eligibility left. Of course you don't extend to same criticism to Brandon.

IIO,

I think everyone wishes Brandon well, including both of us.

There are several assets that a good to great QB needs.

One is heightened recognition skills and another is accuracy.

Brandon possesses neither.

Is he a great athlete and a gifted runner, I think so, but in today’s college football world, the passing game has taken on a significantly bigger role.

As I watch a broad cross section of college football games I don’t see QB’s who lack those two elements being highly successful.

When you lack recognition skills you usually have to wait until the receiver breaks open rather than being able to anticipate the receiver breaking open.

That leads to one of two outcomes.
1. The defense has time to recover
2. The QB breaks and runs

Wimbush’s pass completion ratio was barely 50 %
Book’s pass completion ratio is 70 %.
A 140 % improvement.

Yet, nothing else changed.
ND has the same coaches, players and plays.
The receivers didn’t get faster.

What happened is that a QB with better recognition skills and better accuracy replaced a terrific athlete who was lacking in those two areas.

Getting Back to our areas of disagreement, I don’t think those shortcomings travel well.

If you lack recognition skills and accuracy in South Bend you’re going to lack them everywhere else in the country.

This is probably the one time I hope i’m Wrong.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT