ADVERTISEMENT

Why would nd not get a ny6 bowl

dawgjh

Rockne's Water Boy
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2006
There are gonna be a whole lot of 10-2 teams to choose from and nobody has the following that nd does.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
NY6 are assigned strictly by CFP rankings. Bowls don’t pick the teams anymore.

Because Jack did not negotiate a clause saying if the second best ACC team was not in the Top 25 and ND is ranked in the Top 15 that they get the spot.

Reactions: Leahylads
Because Jack did not negotiate a clause saying if the second best ACC team was not in the Top 25 and ND is ranked in the Top 15 that they get the spot.
You want a contract that can get us both spots in the Orange Bowl?

Frankly, it doesn't matter to me. Playoffs or bust, IMO... That said, I'm looking forward to the bowl matchup, and, hopefully an ND victory.

IMO, the traditionally "big bowl games" have become nearly irrelevant with the addition of the the playoffs. A team like Georgia proved that last year when they dragged their ass through in a game that they had no interest in, on their way to a "meh" Texas. The only teams that really care are the Group of 5 teams whose end of season reward is a NY6, because they aren't getting into the playoffs.

Expand the playoffs to 8 games like it should be, recapture the importance of games like the Rose Bowl (which would be one of the 7 playoff games), and give the top group of 5 team an opportunity to compete with the big boys... This tier 2, NY6 relevance has reached a point of redundancy IMO.

Frankly, it doesn't matter to me. Playoffs or bust, IMO... That said, I'm looking forward to the bowl matchup, and, hopefully an ND victory.

IMO, the traditionally "big bowl games" have become nearly irrelevant with the addition of the the playoffs. A team like Georgia proved that last year when they dragged their ass through in a game that they had no interest in, on their way to a "meh" Texas. The only teams that really care are the Group of 5 teams whose end of season reward is a NY6, because they aren't getting into the playoffs.

Expand the playoffs to 8 games like it should be, recapture the importance of games like the Rose Bowl (which would be one of the 7 playoff games), and give the top group of 5 team an opportunity to compete with the big boys... This tier 2, NY6 relevance has reached a point of redundancy IMO.
Agreed. The allure of an NY6 bowl is not the same as it was when we had BCS bowls. I too have been advocate of an 8 team playoff and eliminating the conference championships. I would start the first round immediately after regular season ends. Then resume the playoffs in a month.

You want a contract that can get us both spots in the Orange Bowl?
No but I don't want a contract that leaves us out in favor of teams we beat and are better than.

The ACC should consider themselves lucky, it's a damn privilege to play Notre Dame 5 times a year.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
I personally like Kirk Herbstreits idea. Play the reg season, have the original bowl structure and play all those games. After that, pick the best 4 teams.

The bowls them become very meaningful again. You're adding another quality opponent to every team's resume and it will be easier to pick the 4 Best teams

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
I personally like Kirk Herbstreits idea. Play the reg season, have the original bowl structure and play all those games. After that, pick the best 4 teams.

The bowls them become very meaningful again. You're adding another quality opponent to every team's resume and it will be easier to pick the 4 Best teams

I think the issue becomes the length of the season..you could only implement an idea like this if you gave everybody maybe 1 week off at the conclusion of the season, then jumped right into bowl games... Otherwise the season would drag on forever.

I think the issue becomes the length of the season..you could only implement an idea like this if you gave everybody maybe 1 week off at the conclusion of the season, then jumped right into bowl games... Otherwise the season would drag on forever.
You can do that. Or you end the bowls by dec 31st. Semifinals jan 7th. NC jan14th. When is the championship game end this year? Maybe jan 9th?

If it’s strictly based on the rankings, and nd is currently 15, and the top 4 r in the playoff, and 6 times 2 is 12, which gets u to a 16 ranking, that should mean nd would get one of those 12 spots. There is tho a tidal wave of support for the memphis and app state teams which may not bode well.

If it’s strictly based on the rankings, and nd is currently 15, and the top 4 r in the playoff, and 6 times 2 is 12, which gets u to a 16 ranking, that should mean nd would get one of those 12 spots. There is tho a tidal wave of support for the memphis and app state teams which may not bode well.
Several of the bowls have contractual tie-ins. Those are filled by conf champs or highest rated in the CFP rankings of champ is in top 4. Highest group of five automatically gets an at large. Remaining at large are filled by highest rank in CFP standings of teams not already assigned a bowl.

The individual bowls no longer have a choice.

No but I don't want a contract that leaves us out in favor of teams we beat and are better than.

The ACC should consider themselves lucky, it's a damn privilege to play Notre Dame 5 times a year.

I think you guys seriously over estimate Notre Dame's clout.

But you are the same guy that said any kind of damage to the regular season is bad because every game matters is what makes college football.

This is an overall stupid idea. Not your best work, or at least you chose the wrong horse.

It would be come more chaotic and confusing this way, makes May more sense for a 8-12 team playoff than this.

But you are the same guy that said any kind of damage to the regular season is bad because every game matters is what makes college football.

This is an overall stupid idea. Not your best work, or at least you chose the wrong horse.
It doesn't damage the regular season at all. You still have to only have 0 or 1 loss by the end of bowl season. Just makes the top 4 clearer and it makes the bowls meaningful again.

Every game still matters. Bowls become more meaningful. It's a great idea by Herbstreit. It's a genius idea if you care about every game still mattering in the reg season and want the bowls to be meaningful again. Then if you want the 4 best teams it becomes even clearer.

Don't always agree with Kirk but it's a genius idea

It would be come more chaotic and confusing this way, makes May more sense for a 8-12 team playoff than this.
It's not confusing at all. After the bowl games, pick the best 4.

You seriously can't figure that out? Geez man that's sad

There are six NY bowl games every year. Plus, two or three bowls that can take 9-10 win teams. How is someone possibly going to determine who the best four teams are ou
It's not confusing at all. After the bowl games, pick the best 4.

You seriously can't figure that out? Geez man that's sad

So when there is 6 teams who can say we won the NY 6 we deserve in who do you take?its freaking dumb and not better than a 8-12 straight up playoff, period. But, Since you think so highly of yourself, go join the committee.

There are six NY bowl games every year. Plus, two or three bowls that can take 9-10 win teams. How is someone possibly going to determine who the best four teams are ou

So when there is 6 teams who can say we won the NY 6 we deserve in who do you take?its freaking dumb and not better than a 8-12 straight up playoff, period. But, Since you think so highly of yourself, go join the committee.
How do they determine who the best 4 are now? You're talking dumb. Instead of picking the best 4 tomorrow, they do it after the bowl games. It's really not hard to figure out.

How do they determine who the best 4 are now? You're talking dumb. Instead of picking the best 4 tomorrow, they do it after the bowl games. It's really not hard to figure out.

No, you don't get it. 4 teams is not enough and 1 more game makes zero difference dude.

Not to mention we have to wait a month fir these stupid bowls to start I'm sure we'd have at least a 2 week wait for the 4 team playoff. When's seasons end February?

Ive seen people say they want more teams to make the playoffs. I understand that

Ive seen people say they want it to stay at 4 so it doesnt ruin reg season. I understand that

Ive seen people say they wish bowl games still mattered. I understand that

This is the best plan Ive seen to this date to make the reg season meaningful, and still have the bowl games meaningful.

Its a genius idea from Kirk, imo. If you dont like it, oh well. I really dont care.

Not to mention we have to wait a month fir these stupid bowls to start I'm sure we'd have at least a 2 week wait for the 4 team playoff. When's seasons end February?
Bowl season ends dec 31st. Playoff gm jan 7th. NC jan 14th.

You're acting silly with what you are saying.

Its not complicated if you arent slow

Bowl season ends dec 31st. Playoff gm jan 7th. NC jan 14th.

You're acting silly with what you are saying.

Its not complicated if you arent slow

And I'm slow? Okay, you're completely missing my point. Sound like 88 throwing insults around, deflecting the conversation. But you win.

There isn't a conference in the country that wouldn't take that deal and you know it.

Except that in each of these deals, ND is required to give up more independence. I think that the landscape has changed dramatically since we walked out of the CFA and signed our own TV deal with NBC.

I remember early in the BCS years when ND was forced to give up its full share in the bowl proceeds. (If my memory is correct, we got the same amount as a conference.) Everyone on this board was railing against Kevin White, saying he capitulated, but I get the feeling the other side just called ND's bluff.

Eventually it will get to 8, and that is where it needs to be.These bowl tie in games to conferences is absolute stupidity.

There are gonna be a whole lot of 10-2 teams to choose from and nobody has the following that nd does.
We will not be forgiven for the showing at Michigan. That and we've really not played anyone since.

And more deserving teams!
Rose Bowl
Jan. 1
Prediction Wisconsin vs. Oregon
Orange Bowl
Dec. 30
Prediction Virginia vs. Florida
Cotton Bowl
Dec. 28
Prediction Memphis vs. Penn State

CBS prediction.

Memphis
Wisconsin
Virginia
No way are they more deserving.

Irish had some pretty good wins this season. That Michigan game lingers. I think ND continues to be punished for that one in the polls.

Irish had some pretty good wins this season. That Michigan game lingers. I think ND continues to be punished for that one in the polls.
Polls do not mean anything when it comes to bowl games. Memphis is ranked behind ND but will play in a NY6 bowl game.

Virginia will finish behind ND and they lost to ND.

However, Virginia will be in the Orange bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT