ADVERTISEMENT

Why Recruiting is the Lifeblood of a Healthy Program

NDIRISH53

Posts Like A Champion
Aug 13, 2016
Recruiting and strength & conditioning are the 2 most important things in any college football program. There is overwhelming evidence for this.

Here are the past 10 national champs and their recruing class average the 4 years leading up to the championship.

2017 Alabama 1

2016 Clemson 12.75

2015 Alabama 1

2014 OSU 4

2013 FSU 6.25

2012 Alabama 2.25

2011 Alabama 2.75

2010 Auburn 14.75

2009 Alabama 7.75

2008 Florida 5

The 2 outliers you see are Auburn and Clemson. Each of those teams had a once in a decade QB.

Reactions: justified1
So.........then you are saying it's either Bama or some team that has the greatest QB in their recent history. BTW, that could be said for FSU and Jameis Winston in 2013 as well. FSU's 2013 team was amazing but then so was Winston.

It is rumored that Clemson will be starting freshman QB Trevor Lawrence and he is being touted as the greatest QB in Clemson's history. To that I say........hum, OK.....now let's see him prove it on the field!

Meanwhile, Bama.........well they're Bama..........again, and touting a new QB phenom.

And right now several of the top teams are on fire recruiting. Should be a very interesting year recruiting wise and in the regular season. CFB, simply the best!

So.........then you are saying it's either Bama or some team that has the greatest QB in their recent history. BTW, that could be said for FSU and Jameis Winston in 2013 as well. FSU's 2013 team was amazing but then so was Winston.

It is rumored that Clemson will be starting freshman QB Trevor Lawrence and he is being touted as the greatest QB in Clemson's history. To that I say........hum, OK.....now let's see him prove it on the field!

Meanwhile, Bama.........well they're Bama..........again, and touting a new QB phenom.

And right now several of the top teams are on fire recruiting. Should be a very interesting year recruiting wise and in the regular season. CFB, simply the best!
I would bet a pretty penny that Trevor Lawrence wins a title in his career at Clemson. He's the real fricken deal

I would bet a pretty penny that Trevor Lawrence wins a title in his career at Clemson. He's the real fricken deal

At 18 years old, 6'6"-209 he has the makings of a good one. But, let's not forget there are some other super highly touted QB's on Clemson's team. The pressure on Lawrence will be absolutely immense. And...........rest assured he will have some teammates just hoping that he fails. That happens to a lot of super highly touted players throughout CFB. IE. imagine some of the buddies of the existing QB's.............ahh, like catching the passes of the other QB's but some how dropping Lawrence's or tackling Lawrence a little harder in practice than the other QB's or slipping and missing a key block, etc. It happens. So the jury is out and we won't know until he has a few games under his belt. How Lawrence gets along with the team and how the other players handle it is all important.

Lawrence is the best qb prospect I've ever seen. I would take him over any qb in the country as a freshman. I am that confident in him

It seems pretty obvious and no one will argue that recruiting has a direct relation to winning.....

But, what about the opposite effect where winning inflates your recruiting ranking? If Bama goes and recruits a 3 star furiously, that prospect may go up to a 4 star, and therefore raise their overall ranking? I don't have anything to back this up, just a different thought.

It seems pretty obvious and no one will argue that recruiting has a direct relation to winning.....

But, what about the opposite effect where winning inflates your recruiting ranking? If Bama goes and recruits a 3 star furiously, that prospect may go up to a 4 star, and therefore raise their overall ranking? I don't have anything to back this up, just a different thought.
Yes you're right. Recruiting sites definitely do bump guys up once they get offers from/ commit to Bama OSU etc. I get the reasoning for it. They probably think to themselves if saban sees this guy or Meyer sees this guy as someone good enough to play for a top 5 program they deserve a bump. My only problem is when recruiting sites bump uncommitted guys because it's makes their recruitment juicier.

Yes you're right. Recruiting sites definitely do bump guys up once they get offers from/ commit to Bama OSU etc. I get the reasoning for it. They probably think to themselves if saban sees this guy or Meyer sees this guy as someone good enough to play for a top 5 program they deserve a bump. My only problem is when recruiting sites bump uncommitted guys because it's makes their recruitment juicier.
the reasoning for it is to generate revenue. those sites are in business for one reason and we all know what it is.

Recruiting is very important, but so too is having the right infrastructure to maximize player development.

Whether it be in football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, or whatnot, I have seen a lot of "can't miss" prospects end up having average careers because the personnel was not in place to help them reach their ceiling.

But, true to your point, it definitely is imperative to have that physical ability at the getgo.....Great coaching can only make a good player so good....You need that raw talent in order to be great.

Reactions: NDlb46
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT