ADVERTISEMENT

Who thinks the Irish teams of 73, 77, and 88 or 89 were faster than the 2018 Irish ?

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
I say that the 2018 Irish team is collectively faster. Those old teams were mostly slow twitch humans with some great fast twitch speed like the Rocket, or Al Hunter.

The 73, 88, and 89 Notre Dame teams were tough as hell lunchpail teams who negated other teams speed by pounding the fullback up the middle or the running back off tackle ! Or punching the other teams offense in the mouth !!

Now if you talk about the old Miami teams I will give you that they had more speed than the 2018 Irish !

*** I am going to take a few days off because you guys are pissing me off ! I had to go to the emergency room this morning because of severe stomach pains. Obviously brought on by all you doubting Thomas's !! i believe in the greatness of the 2018 team ! Even after the Ball State win !! Go Irish ! Show your greatness and cut down the trees !

Reactions: Ara64 and zro pts4u
I say that the 2018 Irish team is collectively faster. Those old teams were mostly slow twitch humans with some great fast twitch speed like the Rocket, or Al Hunter.

The 73, 88, and 89 Notre Dame teams were tough as hell lunchpail teams who negated other teams speed by pounding the fullback up the middle or the running back off tackle ! Or punching the other teams offense in the mouth !!

Now if you talk about the old Miami teams I will give you that they had more speed than the 2018 Irish !

*** I am going to take a few days off because you guys are pissing me off ! I had to go to the emergency room this morning because of severe stomach pains. Obviously brought on by all you doubting Thomas's !! i believe in the greatness of the 2018 team ! Even after the Ball State win !! Go Irish ! Show your greatness and cut down the trees !
Nice pic

I think of one thing on how stacked Lou’s team was. Ricky Waters was moved to flanker! That’s depth Bodi.

Reactions: 88ND

Feel better Bodi
Kick back Saturday night at kickoff with a pizza

Reactions: Bodizephax
Get better

but yes top to bottom those teams were all faster and more athletic than this 2018 version.

Not even close.

Those teams you speak of were the bar setter in all of CFB.

This might be BK's most talented team but just no comparison to the teams you've mentioned.

The 88 team was stocked top to bottom with talent, 77 had Joe Montana ect.. Those teams were at the top of college football. Let's at least beat Stanford before we start comparing them to some the best teams in Notre Dame history.

Bodi, you need to eat a plate of fried chicken on Saturday before the game. Eat the whole bird man, along with a bowl of mash taters and corn on the cob. Don't forget that slaw and pie with ice cream. Stay away from the message board until well after the game and just take in the majesty of ND Football! Enjoy the experience and the party in your stomach. Make Saturday Great Again! GO IRISH!!!
Those teams you mention have completed their mission; this team is a third of the way home. Stay healthy my friend! ND heading to 12-0.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Bodi, you need to eat a plate of fried chicken on Saturday before the game. Eat the whole bird man, along with a bowl of mash taters and corn on the cob. Don't forget that slaw and pie with ice cream. Stay away from the message board until well after the game and just take in the majesty of ND Football! Enjoy the experience and the party in your stomach. Make Saturday Great Again! GO IRISH!!!
Those teams you mention have completed their mission; this team is a third of the way home. Stay healthy my friend! ND heading to 12-0.
Make sure you have a few paper rolls and a can of air freshener before you execute that operation!

I think all modern teams are collectively faster than teams of 25 plus years ago. Better athletes, better training = faster. I am sure there were a few players back in the day who are as fast or even faster than some today, but for the most part, speed has increased.

That goes for whether we are talking ND or Ball State.

Different era's of football. 73, 77, 88 teams played a game that was mostly ball control and sound defense. Even the 89 team was like that -- very tough minded kids -- and the thought process of coaches was different than as well.

Today's game is more about perimeter speed and letting the athletes do their thing...Training methods are much more advanced in today's game than in years past.

Not really sure this is an apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
This is silly. 70's and 80's football was a different era. Teams from those era's would stand no shot against today's teams. The sheer difference in size strength and specialty is so much different. Kids are playing year round now, between camps, 7 man and regular season playing. Kids now have access to years of research on strength training, dieting, and supplements. Problem is everyone has almost the same research and access, evening the playing field.

2018 ND would beat 88. That is not a knock on 88.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl...-2011-10#1990s-matt-birk-c-baltimore-ravens-8

Get better

but yes top to bottom those teams were all faster and more athletic than this 2018 version.

Not even close.

Those teams you speak of were the bar setter in all of CFB.

This might be BK's most talented team but just no comparison to the teams you've mentioned.

Lol! Top end athletes in ‘88 and ‘89 maybe, but top to bottom? No. And ‘73 and ‘77? The size and speed of these athletes have been enhanced by new training methods and better nutrition. The athletes as a whole aren’t even comparable.

Now, if you mean “relative to competition” then there’s an argument tot be made. But straight up? Simply impossible. If you don’t make any handicap adjustments, the current team could name the score against ‘73 and ‘77 as it’s just too big and strong and fast for ‘73 or ‘77 to win anything at the LOS. You’re talking massive advantage in size here.

Bodi, I agree. But as others have said, players today tend to be bigger and stronger and faster than a generation ago. That said, I think this is the overall fastest team we’ve had during the Kelly era. And it really shows on defense with our pursuit from Tillery to Hayes to Okwara to Tranquill to Pride, et al.... Hope to see Jafar and Dexter show their speed with some breakaway runs on Saturday. My brain tells me this will be a typical physical hard fought game decided by a TD or less, but my heart sees a two TD margin of victory by ND. Love the excitement and we should all love the fact that we will have played two critically important games, arguably the two most important games of the college weekends, only five games into the season.

Hated to read you had to go to emergency. Most here love your enthusiasm and boundless optimism for ND football, and wish you well. Looking forward to your Sunday posts after a dominant ND performance.

Man brother I hope you are feeling better

I think the 88/89 were faster, BUT it was a different kind of offense so it might be hard to compare

Reactions: 88ND and Kelso86
I gotta think if one of Lou’s teams, say 93, played this years team, Lou would win. He could coach a team for one game like no other. Theyd just play ball control and possession football and we’d never see the 2018 offense even get to the field. As far as size, Navy plays us tough and they’re always undersized. This years mich team looked like high schoolers and they played us tough.

I'll take Coach Parseghian over Lou anyday of the week. I remember reading about the older fans said Leahy was far superior to Parseghian. The really old fans back in the mid sixties said nobody could compare favorably next to Rockne. Lou lose thirty games in 11 seasons. He was an excellent coach, but hardly legendary.

I'll take Coach Parseghian over Lou anyday of the week. I remember reading about the older fans said Leahy was far superior to Parseghian. The really old fans back in the mid sixties said nobody could compare favorably next to Rockne. Lou lose thirty games in 11 seasons. He was an excellent coach, but hardly legendary.

To be fair, I think Lou played tougher schedules than did Ara. Though, Lou might have gotten some players in that Ara couldn't recruit...

12948563.jpeg

Year 1 and 2 he had 10 losses but he was cleaning up from Faust.
Had he had a typical lou holtz team those two years then he and Ara winning percentage is a wash.

Who played the tougher schedules?

That's always a tough one but I will say this...
I'm not sure Ara played as tough a schedule. Certainly not tougher than Lou.

Lou played at the height of their programs and some routinely

Penn State
Miami
Colorado
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Florida State
USC
Florida
Along with Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, BC...

I'm not suggesting Lou is better than Ara but it's definitely hard to compare eras...lol..

What Lou did in a Six year window with the schedule he played is in fact every bit of legendary!!!

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Don't know about the Ara/Lou schedule comparisons. That's up for civil debate. Not possible on this board though. All I know is Ara played and beat MSU and USC when both programs were among the nation's elite. Ara also beat the big guys when it counted. 11-1 Alabama twice in the Sugar and Orange and undefeated Texas, riding a 30 game win streak, in the Cotton. Pretty good resume if you ask me. I won't take anything away from Lou either. He also is an Irish legend.

If you did a little study before shouting off at the mouth, you would discover Parseghian's teams played mostly top 10 schedules annually over his 11 years. You have to dig deep to find it and I'll not help you. Study history before entering the deep pool next time DD. Lou's teams lost a lot of games over his last three seasons too. DIG deeper 88!

If you did a little study before shouting off at the mouth, you would discover Parseghian's teams played mostly top 10 schedules annually over his 11 years. You have to dig deep to find it and I'll not help you. Study history before entering the deep pool next time DD. Lou's teams lost a lot of games over his last three seasons too. DIG deeper 88!

I tip my hat for the history lesson .....sincerely

OK. Fifteen minutes of easy research and some simple math skills says during Ara's ND career, nine seasons Irish opponents combined for losing records. In 1968, ND played three teams who finished with 1-9 records. In 1971, ND played three teams who finished with 3-8 records and one who finished 3-7. Come to your own conclusions. There is no way I'm going to research Lou's ND career. You are welcome to it. I love both Ara and Lou. Same goes for Leahy, Rock, and Jess Harper. Who knows. ND football may never have become ND football without Jess Harper.

I never saw Ara’s teams but I watched Lou and Kelly teams for enjoyment. I stand by my post. I’ll take Lou’s 93 team for one game with 2018 team. Or his 88 or 89 team. Because Lou was great at coaching up his team for that one big game.

Feel better Bodi
Kick back Saturday night at kickoff with a pizza
Thanks SkiBro but I have to work ! Trump has me working so much overtime and making so much money that I have no time for watching tv ! MAGA !! I will be jamming Stanfords signals from Ground controll ! You and Telx and DIP DO YOUR USUAL SHOCK AND AWE !! Go Irish ! Beat Stanford !

Bodi, I agree. But as others have said, players today tend to be bigger and stronger and faster than a generation ago. That said, I think this is the overall fastest team we’ve had during the Kelly era. And it really shows on defense with our pursuit from Tillery to Hayes to Okwara to Tranquill to Pride, et al.... Hope to see Jafar and Dexter show their speed with some breakaway runs on Saturday. My brain tells me this will be a typical physical hard fought game decided by a TD or less, but my heart sees a two TD margin of victory by ND. Love the excitement and we should all love the fact that we will have played two critically important games, arguably the two most important games of the college weekends, only five games into the season.

Hated to read you had to go to emergency. Most here love your enthusiasm and boundless optimism for ND football, and wish you well. Looking forward to your Sunday posts after a dominant ND performance.

I am feeling much better. thanks ! I am looking for Dexter to have a huge day today. If he gets the ball enough he may have a day like Tony Dorsett had against us in 1975 !

Last edited:
Reactions: Ara64
The 88 and 89 were much faster than this team .Don't understand how Domers think the 2018 is on par with those teams . I remember the Miami game in particular .Miami had speed at every position ,probably the speediest team in college football .The Notre Dame announcer Pat ? ,later AD at Southern Cal ,remarked during theMiami / ND. How much speed ND to keep up with #1 Miami .

There is no comparison .Period !

Reactions: 88ND
The play by play announcer for thatMiami /ND game was Pat Hayden Basically saying ND was matching Miami 's speed

Comprehension Ara64...just a little bit would go a long way.....
First of all I didn't say Lou was a better coach than Ara. But I also can't say Ara was better than Lou. I'd take either one over present day staff.

Since YOU want to go into full blown immature horse shit mode shooting YOUR mouth off...

Let's just go ahead and jump into the deep end.

Ready?

Ara's opponents winning percentage at Notre Dame
1964 through 1974
.478 opp win %

Lou's opp winning percentage
1986 through 1996
.561 opp win %

Ara coached with no scholarship limits in all but two seasons.

Ara only two of his eleven seasons opponents had .500 winning % or more.
1965 - .553
1966 - .539

Lou on the other hand only had one season with opponents win% below 500.
1993 - .488
Every other year they were over .500 and
three of those years they were over .600

So you're right Ara64...study just a little but before you shoot your mouth off.

First comparing Michigan to Alabama. Now mentioning Dexter Williams in the same breath as the great Tony Dorsett.

Weed and YouTube is a bad combination.

B O D I, U R THE MAN. ND kicked Stanford' s butt last night. It was an all night beat down!!! W O W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT