ADVERTISEMENT

Where does this class finish

I don’t mean to be argumentative but just wanted to continue the discussion.

Fans might see the game as close to meaningless, but I highly doubt anyone playing or coaching in the game sees it that way. The only ND defender out was Hamilton and he had already missed the previous five or so games. That was ND’s starting defense getting torn up.

While it is true that it was Freeman’s first crack as a head coach, those were still his schemes, game planning, and players that he coached up for the whole year.
IIRC we had promoted the LB coach to DC. The cOSU Pokes purged us of that error. However not of the mistake to fill our leadership with internal promotions.

Did the gap close at wr? Yes
Corner back? Yes
Ol and te kept high level during transition year...
QB? Yes
Rb? Yes

Dl - no
Lb - no
Safety - no

Hard to say it's not gap closing, as that's a disservice to the groups that are killing it in recruiting. We have work to do on defense.
Agree other than oline… I see a drop off there right now unless we get lambert

You said other programs have multiple options. Who are they?
Read again.....I said multiple choice as opposed to true or false. I assume you need me to break it down into smaller pieces. It means cast a wider net and don't prioritize any one player to the exclusion of others. This is a common concern about Notre Dame recruiting and has been for a while. I am not your library, so feel free to disagree.

Read again.....I said multiple choice as opposed to true or false. I assume you need me to break it down into smaller pieces. It means cast a wider net and don't prioritize any one player to the exclusion of others. This is a common concern about Notre Dame recruiting and has been for a while. I am not your library, so feel free to disagree.
So who are those other options for those teams

Sounds like chaseball.

Read the room, you’re gloomy. It’s ok, many people are. I got to ND in 1986 and there were many articles written how ND could no longer compete. You could have written them. Then Holtz read us Chicago Tribune article laying out the case why we couldn’t compete with top programs (sound familiar?). Scholarship limits, no red shirts, academic standards, etc. He then told us that the article was not written recently. It was written just before Ara was hired. You are a nay sayer, even if you prefer the term realist. Our day will come again.
And you're NOT ACKNOWLDEGING THE PROBABILITIES while making a SPECULATIVE ASSERTION you're treating as an AXIOM. I'm making NO ASSERTIONS but merely expressing EXTREMELY STRONG DOUBT based on what I see as a difference in KIND rather than merely DEGREE as was formerly the case.

The dumpster fire Ara extinguished lasted only 9 years, while there hadn't been an ND NC in 15 years. While the one Holtz put out lasted only 5 years and with no NC in the preceding 9 years. It took both coaches 3 years to rectify the NC issue.

The latest resurrection has been different in that ND has yet to win an NC since scrapping its way back to relevance. Yet, despite failing to achieve preeminence, Kelly didn't whiff by any means, restoring the program to something approaching Holtz's better years and certainly Dan Devine's.

Still, if by claiming that ND's day will come again, you still don't consider it FULLY REDEEMED in the absence of an NC, you're then acknowledging that there's been 26 YEARS OF INTERMITTENT FRUSTRATION in addition to an NC drought of 34 years.

AND THAT'S A LOT WORSE PICTURE THAN MY FATHER'S SLUMPING BUT STILL REVIVABLE ND PRESENTED.

Plus, the game has changed DRAMATICALLY in ways that ND has NOT. That wasn't the case in either the Ara or Holtz RESORGIMENTOS.

I don't know what you mean EXACTLY by ND's DAY COMING AGAIN. Sure, it could pull a BYU or Boise State in a star-aligned year, but to become the kind of consistent top-flight program with legitimate NC chances every year as was the case under Ara and Holtz, I see as HIGHLY UNLIKELY as things NOW STAND.

Where is the LOGIC that says otherwise?

I don't see a COHERENT ACTION PLAN, much less A CRITICAL PATH.

A lot of v untested,untrained,good playes needing development, therefore this will come down to the abilities of a coaching staff to train and develop and get the most out of the talent they are charged to develop. therefore COACHING HAS BECOME THE DIFFERENCE MAKER.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and baron100
To be expected after HH retirement. Kids go where they can get developed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT