ADVERTISEMENT

Where does BK have the Irish headed?

Why does Irish Nation act like "post Lou" is the first time the program has ever had a dry spell? The program was not the same, post Rockne to Leahy, then again, from post Leahy to "the Era of Ara". There are good seasons, dominant seasons, and national championship seasons. Again, for the millionth time, conditions changed at ND towards the end of Leahy's time here. It was done intentionally by then President Father Cavanaugh and Father Ted. Leahy had no choice but to go along with the de-emphasizing of the program. Terry Brennan faced the brunt of it. I try to teach program history here, but little are interested. Football began under Lou and that's that.

Why does Irish Nation act like "post Lou" is the first time the program has ever had a dry spell? The program was not the same, post Rockne to Leahy, then again, from post Leahy to "the Era of Ara". There are good seasons, dominant seasons, and national championship seasons. Again, for the millionth time, conditions changed at ND towards the end of Leahy's time here. It was done intentionally by then President Father Cavanaugh and Father Ted. Leahy had no choice but to go along with the de-emphasizing of the program. Terry Brennan faced the brunt of it. I try to teach program history here, but little are interested. Football began under Lou and that's that.
It's what most see. Hell half the board by behavior I'm willing to bet were either toddlers or not even born yet when Lou was kneeling and picking at the turf. Next I would say most of the board cut their teeth on Lou and the seasons post Lou are driving them crazy.

Bama wasn't always Bama.
Clemson wasn't always Clemson
OSU ...between national titles under Tressel and Woody Hayes was how long? Exactly..

But college football more so than any other sport is absolutely positively the most trendiest!!

It's what have you done for me lately and nothing more.

The media is the blame. Pure and simple. They act like nobody else even plays REAL football outside the present darlings....whomever they are at the time.

They drive that rhetoric home repeatedly.

College football and the trend is always 5 years behind. Always. Respect is extended 5 years past due and respect isn't granted until someone has a top 5 consecutive run for several years.

Remember the Ducks of a few tears ago? They were playing damn good football.

They aren't a blip on anyone's radar today.

It's what most see. Hell half the board by behavior I'm willing to bet were either toddlers or not even born yet when Lou was kneeling and picking at the turf. Next I would say most of the board cut their teeth on Lou and the seasons post Lou are driving them crazy.

Bama wasn't always Bama.
OSU ...between national titles under Tressel and Woody Hayes was how long? Exactly..

But college football more so than any other sport is absolutely positively the most trendiest!!

The media is the blame. Pure and simple. They act like nobody else even plays REAL football outside the present darlings....whomever they are at the time.

College football and the trend is always 5 years behind. Always. Respect is extended 5 years past due and respect isn't granted until someone has a top 5 consecutive run for several years.

Those Ducks have a very talented roster.

Why does Irish Nation act like "post Lou" is the first time the program has ever had a dry spell?

Geez, you just had to have lived through the Faust era to laugh at that premise. Never mind the Brennan and Kuharich eras.

Reactions: Kelso86

Because it's the longest dry spell ever in the history of ND football. 30 years since last Nat'l Championship. Never has there been a longer stretch.

Because it's the longest dry spell ever in the history of ND football. 30 years since last Nat'l Championship. Never has there been a longer stretch.
From thos POV what sucks is the no hope factor.
BK in these big games isn't even close. That's the most annoying part to me.

12-0 is great but only fools gold because it's simply a 6 week countdown to the inevitable blood bath.

Reactions: ohio1980
In 1963 when I mustered enough courage to ask my dad if I could become a ND football fan and dump UK football, UK (3-6-1) had a better record than ND (2-8). I went to ND because of it's history and I loved that fight song. No regrets here.

Bama wasn't always Bama.

Follow the recruiting rankings, it gives you a nice couple year prelude into whose success is seemingly sustainable and the teams that are trending up.

Oregon seems to have made the right hire with Mario Cristobal -- he just signed a top 5 class (or close to it) after a decent first season.

If some pretty low profile coach like Mario Cristobal can catapult Oregon into the borderline first tier of recruiting in a year just imagine what the right hire at ND could do.

Last edited:

12-0 is great but only fools gold because it's simply a 6 week countdown to the inevitable blood bath.
And there it is. Regurgitation at it's finest.

Reactions: Pennick4
This is the real rub on why so many fans have become disalluioned or apathy towards the program. BK is doing the best he can with the tools in the box.
I agree with your assessment totally. Cub fans could take a 30 year drought standing on their head without breaking a sweat. LOL. It's not like ND hasn't had their golden opportunities in the last 30 years. They have, starting with Lou in '93. Close but no cigar only works in horseshoes though. I support BK 100%. I'm glad he's our HC. I love our young student athletes. I love the student body and their no holds barred support of the program. Father Sorin knew exactly what he was doing, with help from Divine Providence. The next title won't be for me. It will always be about the players and student body IMHO.

I agree with your assessment totally. Cub fans could take a 30 year drought standing on their head without breaking a sweat. LOL. It's not like ND hasn't had their golden opportunities in the last 30 years. They have, starting with Lou in '93. Close but no cigar only works in horseshoes though. I support BK 100%. I'm glad he's our HC. I love our young student athletes. I love the student body and their no holds barred support of the program. Father Sorin knew exactly what he was doing, with help from Divine Providence. The next title won't be for me. It will always be about the players and student body IMHO.

You and Ara and some of the other oldtimers on this board are why I visit this forum almost every day. I love when you guys describe/reference first hand accounts of the good old days. God I missed a great time to be an ND fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: spenna

Follow the recruiting rankings, it gives you a nice couple year prelude into whose success is seemingly sustainable and the teams that are trending up.

Oregon seems to have made the right hire with Mario Cristobal -- he just signed a top 5 class (or close to it) after a decent first season.

If some pretty low profile coach like Mario Cristobal can catapult Oregon into the borderline first tier of recruiting in a year just imagine what the right hire at ND could do.

Simply looking at recruiting rankings is evidence of being a simpleton.

How many Top 3 Overall classes did Clemson have for its 1st Championship?
How about for its most recent??

There is soooooooo much more too it than just recruiting rankings for the bottom of the talent evaluation industry.

Reactions: echowaker

There is soooooooo much more too it than just recruiting rankings for the bottom of the talent evaluation industry.

Why don't you-do a 12 look back for the teams that played for a NC or made playoffs.
Then report back how irrelevant Chase’s contention is.

Why don't you-do a 12 look back for the teams that played for a NC or made playoffs.
Then report back how irrelevant Chase’s contention is.

The following teams "played for" an NC without elite recruiting:
  • Clemson
  • Auburn
  • Oregon
  • Notre Dame
  • Washington
  • Michigan State
  • etc.
Again, his point is beyond irrelevant and evidences a total lack of understanding of recruiting or CFB in general.

There is a reason that on-line evaluators are the bottom of the barrel in the talent evaluation industry (in pay).........and rank non-existent recruits.

It's a pathetically stupid opinion.

well, you are wrong. Andthat is not an appropriate reply! say your sorry!

The following teams "played for" an NC without elite recruiting:
  • Clemson
  • Auburn
  • Oregon
  • Notre Dame
  • Washington
  • Michigan State
  • etc.
Again, his point is beyond irrelevant and evidences a total lack of understanding of recruiting or CFB in general.

There is a reason that on-line evaluators are the bottom of the barrel in the talent evaluation industry (in pay).........and rank non-existent recruits.

It's a pathetically stupid opinion.

Last warning. Grow up and post like an adult or I'm banning both of your new accounts. I don't have time for your act.

We went 12-0 and CFP last year. Won 10 or more games 3 of past 4 years. Lost to Clemson. Big deal. . so did Alabama. only 4 frickin teams make the CFP. None of them were named Michigan or USC . We have a real good chance to win 10 again this year. Things are pretty damn good in the ND Football Program. How can anyone be talking about coaching upgrades? Beats me...

Last warning. Grow up and post like an adult or I'm banning both of your new accounts. I don't have time for your act.

In what way is providing facts and debunking a dumb opinion not "grown up"??

Is your definition of "growing up" defined by believing that facts don't matter, buying into propaganda, and making sure everything is all about "EVERYONE FEELS GOOD!!"

You've called tons and tons of people's opinions dumb yourself.
(I could quote innumerable examples)

In what way is providing facts and debunking a dumb opinion not "grown up"??

Is your definition of "growing up" defined by believing that facts don't matter, buying into propaganda, and making sure everything is all about "EVERYONE FEELS GOOD!!"

You've called tons and tons of people's opinions dumb yourself.
(I could quote innumerable examples)

This. Is. Not. A. Debate.

As I said before, last warning. Next time it happens you're done. And when you pay for a new account I'll ban that one. And we can keep doing this over and over. You can keep paying us and I'll keep banning you since you seem to be incapable of acting like an adult on this site.

And you keep licking it up.

I always appreciate my fans. Particularly the ones with no life but to follow me.

Thx
fan ? hardly. just pointing out what most already know about the board punching bag. no new material on the horizon ?

Clemson has been in top 4 (yes cherry pick your stats) except for one or two because they only took 14 that year, but they were all high quality in those years. Sure, recruiting ranking is not the end all be all, but unless you're completely obtuse you can not ignore that the top ranked are Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State, and Clemson at the top of the hill almost year in and year out. What do all those teams have in common as of late? Hmmmmm, let me think?

Last edited:
The next title won't be for me. It will always be about the players and student body IMHO.

That's always been my attitude. We had our time. And it was wonderful, including a football national championship and a BBall final four appearance in the same school year. But right now it's their time, the current students and the current players. The program is about them.

Absolute stupidity, spoken like a true bk apologist

Haha. Chi town, I’m the furthest thing from being a BK apologist. I’m in the apathy crowd. CFB as a whole has a problem in my opinion. Very few teams get the legitimate game changing player. Bama & Clemson get the lion share of the good players then the next tier. I would say we are somewhere in there. The days of Lou’s 4 straight #1 classes are Ova. Multiple players going in the first round. BK will get you 8-10 wins. Listen two unbeaten regular seasons is an accomplishment. But the school cannot compete with the top dogs on prime time but most can’t.

Reactions: d1042
Haha. Chi town, I’m the furthest thing from being a BK apologist. I’m in the apathy crowd. CFB as a whole has a problem in my opinion. Very few teams get the legitimate game changing player. Bama & Clemson get the lion share of the good players then the next tier. I would say we are somewhere in there. The days of Lou’s 4 straight #1 classes are Ova. Multiple players going in the first round. BK will get you 8-10 wins. Listen two unbeaten regular seasons is an accomplishment. But the school cannot compete with the top dogs on prime time but most can’t.

Sunshine pumpers, trolls, nay-sayers, and most honest objective group: apathy!
Count me in ‘apathy’; a fast growing sports fan base.

If that's not an apology it's an excuse.

Too many act like BK is the end all be all for Notre Dame.

I promise you there are coaches out there who can do better in recruiting and especially in big games.

Thinking otherwise is accepting mediocrity and nothing more.

ND does it better than the other guy. That means it requires more work and creativity but it could happen.

The excuses and apologies have really become ad nauseam.

Its like people are shrugging their shoulders thinking oh well this is the best we can do.
40 year decision, shopping from a different aisle, look at our grad rate, Clemson and Bama have retards or criminals on the field while our players might be on a school board someday. Perhaps even a town mayor someday. WTFE

All those statements are nothing more than self serving excuses. It's admirable ND is trying to make the better student but don't use it as moral victories.

ND has a different standard. So what.
Work harder than the other guy. Coach harder, smarter than the other guy.

It can happen.

It WON'T happen doing the affirmation dance after every big game ass kicking we receive.

Refuse to accept almost and trying hard. Quit patting ourselves on the back for achieving our own policies and rules.
Seriously WTF is that.

In a ND admin or Brian Kelly words. ...
We will only accept a student that odds are will be near a 4.0 GPA

Then when student is near a 4.0 we pat ourselves on the back like in some deranged side show victory. It gets really bad after we get an ass whipping in a big game.

Do it better than the other guy.
Coach better than the other guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT